Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike pump and tyre pressure.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike pump and tyre pressure.

Old 05-28-20, 06:20 AM
  #1  
Dany6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike pump and tyre pressure.

I was wondering is there an air pump for bike with 7.5/8 bar capacity?
Because i visited 4 stores and they only had with capacity up to 7 bar.And is it possible to at those extra 0.5 bar with a 7 bar pump?to make it 7.5 pressure on my rear tyre.
And would i have any problems if i'd set it at 7.5 bar on a 25mm tyre with 13mm wheel,and i weight 82kg/1.92cm tall.
Dany6 is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 06:27 AM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,154

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12398 Post(s)
Liked 2,078 Times in 1,100 Posts
Are you talking about a floor pump for home use or are you talking about a mini-pump for use in the event of a flat during a ride?

Most floor pumps that you'd find at a bike shop will reach 8 bar without a problem, then the question becomes whether or not you actually need to go that high (you probably don't want to).

Many mini-pumps are advertised as going that high, but the reality is that you'll reach, "oh **** this - good enough," well before you reach the theoretical max of the pump.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-28-20, 06:35 AM
  #3  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,865

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3718 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
yeah, roadside, I prefer co2 to get to my desired max pressure
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 07:01 AM
  #4  
Dany6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Are you talking about a floor pump for home use or are you talking about a mini-pump for use in the event of a flat during a ride?

Most floor pumps that you'd find at a bike shop will reach 8 bar without a problem, then the question becomes whether or not you actually need to go that high (you probably don't want to).

Many mini-pumps are advertised as going that high, but the reality is that you'll reach, "oh **** this - good enough," well before you reach the theoretical max of the pump.
Floor pump,i forgot to say that.
Probably i won't need 8 or above but if i'm planning to buy one that's a bit more expensive with better quality i guess then it's better to buy the one with 8bar or even 10,you know...just in case.
Dany6 is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 07:45 AM
  #5  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,970

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 89 Posts
Most floor pumps got to 9-11 bar (130-160psi). I like to pump up to 130psi to seat new tyres but dial if back to 90 or less for riding pressure.
znomit is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 10:47 AM
  #6  
blacknbluebikes
Senior Member
 
blacknbluebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 369

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 24 Posts
At 72kg, I never ride more than 6 bar.
blacknbluebikes is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 11:30 AM
  #7  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 683

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Dany6 View Post
I was wondering is there an air pump for bike with 7.5/8 bar capacity?
Because i visited 4 stores and they only had with capacity up to 7 bar.And is it possible to at those extra 0.5 bar with a 7 bar pump?to make it 7.5 pressure on my rear tyre.
And would i have any problems if i'd set it at 7.5 bar on a 25mm tyre with 13mm wheel,and i weight 82kg/1.92cm tall.
What kind of store have you visited...? The majority of floor pump can go up to 140-160PSI (10-11bar?)
eduskator is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 11:35 AM
  #8  
Dany6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
What kind of store have you visited...? The majority of floor pump can go up to 140-160PSI (10-11bar?)
Hardware stores,there's no any bike shop/store in area where i live.
Dany6 is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 11:51 AM
  #9  
GlennR
I'm Lost
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,179

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Dany6 View Post
Hardware stores,there's no any bike shop/store in area where i live.
Amazon
GlennR is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.