Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Conspiracy theory prevention

Old 05-28-20, 12:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11811 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,761 Posts
As long as we've moved on to talking about conspiracy theories more generally, are Jupiter and Saturn flat too? It would be really weird if some planets were flat and some were round.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-28-20, 04:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 699 Posts
One thing I've noticed watching some family and acquaintances over the past couple of months, they're spinning and drilling deeper, rather than more broadly. I've seen this before, during the Cold War and every incident that's elevated to the level of "threat to the republic" Condition: Yikes!.

Back then it was mostly fringe publications and meetings. It took longer for conspiracy driven alt-news to circulate. The Reagan administration elimination of the Fairness Doctrine was able to shift communication -- accurate and inaccurate -- to radio and TV, more quickly and efficiently, especially for folks who weren't inclined to read. The messages became more urgent, less detailed and often just plain dumber.

But hyperlinks make it easier to go so far down that rabbit hole they're almost zombies by the time they come up for air. By that time the readers have become brainwashed into believing that repetition equals accuracy. They think they're following a breadcrumb trail. But it's the Astroturf version of a breadcrumb trail.

In a few short weeks, via Facebook, I've watched family and acquaintances go from linking to somewhat reliable news sources with a right wing bias, toward increasingly speculative and insinuating fringe news. As long as each link down the rabbit hole assures them, through repetition, that they're on the path to enlightenment and the answer to life, the universe and everything, they'll keep scarfing up those insidious references to COVID-19 being a hoax perpetrated by LiBrULs and the Democrat Party, that Bill Gates' vaccines will inject mind control tracking chips, and that every mundane bureaucratic snafu that inconveniences them (booze and weed shops are "essential," but Auntie Florabelle's Kountry Thyme Gift Shoppe isn't, and poor Flora is about to go bankrupt) is an existential threat to the republic.

I suppose it seems like a "conspiracy" in states that tend toward excessive regulation -- Maryland, Pennsylvania, Illinois, particularly urban areas that pile on permits and fees and local regs. But it's just the price we pay when citizens holler "There oughta be a law!" every time they're inconvenienced or frightened. Well, they wanted laws for everything and bought the propaganda that we're a "nation of laws" rather than a nation of liberties. And they were perfectly happy with that as long as it only inconvenienced undesirable people. But now that it affects them personally because Karen can't get her roots touched up, suddenly it's a threat to the republic.

And that tendency to dive down the rabbit hole and stay there is reinforced by the policies, algorithms and human interventions of Facebook, Google and every major entity that harvest and weaponizes data.

The fascinating challenge is that they're perfectly willing to believe conspiracies that they think will curtail their notions of what America is, but they refuse to believe that they could possibly be subjected to a form of brainwashing by the very websites that are leading them down that rabbit hole. And the only real conspiracy has zero to do with our perceptions of liberty and everything to do with money. At the core it's all about ad revenue. They keep teaching social media and Google to lie to them, so they get what they want.
Old 05-28-20, 10:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
And that tendency to dive down the rabbit hole and stay there is reinforced by the policies, algorithms and human interventions of Facebook, Google and every major entity that harvest and weaponizes data.
So I've read articles about how 'up next' algorithms always lead in polarizing directions, leading people towards more radical extremes on both sides. I wonder if fasebuch/google/etc have considered or tried modifying those 'you might also like' algorithms to push people towards the center. Probably that's a money loser, because extremism is more exciting than moderation.

Then again, maybe it's not social media's fault
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-28-20, 12:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
So I've read articles about how 'up next' algorithms always lead in polarizing directions, leading people towards more radical extremes on both sides. I wonder if fasebuch/google/etc have considered or tried modifying those 'you might also like' algorithms to push people towards the center. Probably that's a money loser, because extremism is more exciting than moderation.

Interesting article. I tend to agree with him about the fundamental connections dating back decades, pre-internets.

But the evidence from the Cambridge Analytica scam and weaponized data harvesting and bots/trolls indicates social media and participatory websites (forums and comment sections on blogs/media outlets) have turbocharged the dynamics.
Old 05-29-20, 09:25 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 621 Posts
If you eat a watermelon seed then a watermelon will grow out of you’re belly button .
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-30-20, 04:08 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 150 Posts

If you could blame any one individual, it'd have to be this man: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ews-trump.html
Old 06-01-20, 10:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
If you eat a watermelon seed then a watermelon will grow out of you’re belly button .
Don't be stupid, everybody knows it grows up out your mouth. I know because it happened to my cousin's sister's boyfriend's dog's uncle's brother
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-01-20, 01:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 621 Posts
Don't be stupid, everybody knows it grows up out your mouth. I know because it happened to my cousin's sister's boyfriend's dog's uncle's brother
Old 06-02-20, 04:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11811 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,761 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Only if you drink Brawndo, it's got what plants crave!
Old 06-09-20, 12:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

Bad stuff happens!

I find it rather amusing that most people buy the official story on every mass casualty event.

Its all just coincidence.
Old 06-09-20, 09:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have never heard of that. That would be an interesting case study to apply scientific criteria of what is a conspiracy theory, and judge whether it's real or it's fake.

The Qassam book I keep mentioning, it totally agrees, there are such things in the world as conspiracies. The gunpowder plot, in which Guy Fawkes and co-conspirators, conspired to blow up the UK House of Parliament. It was secret and shadowy. But then all the evidence and facts came out, and there is open, widespread public consensus about what happened.

Or check out the Netflix documentary Wormwood. It's probably fair to label that as a conspiracy. And for a while, the facts were kept secret; but now it's clear what happened, and there's a trail of evidence.

In this case, who is the Israeli pilot, where and how long was he jailed? Who was the sailor who installed the antenna? Who are all the rest of the sailors on the ship at the time? What do they have to say?
Old 06-09-20, 09:54 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 39 Posts
So we've had, with the support or even orders of certain politicians, church pastors arrested and churchgoers fined for exercising their religion. Even had one governor in particular threatening to have arrested people protesting lockdowns. Then we have those exact same politicians supporting and in some cases participating in mass protests in the current situation.

The virus is real, sure. So is every other virus out there. The lockdowns are political.
Old 06-09-20, 09:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I think you should get your Lazyass over to P&R and start a separate thread about that.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-09-20, 12:37 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
I have never heard of that. That would be an interesting case study to apply scientific criteria of what is a conspiracy theory, and judge whether it's real or it's fake.

The Qassam book I keep mentioning, it totally agrees, there are such things in the world as conspiracies. The gunpowder plot, in which Guy Fawkes and co-conspirators, conspired to blow up the UK House of Parliament. It was secret and shadowy. But then all the evidence and facts came out, and there is open, widespread public consensus about what happened.

Or check out the Netflix documentary Wormwood. It's probably fair to label that as a conspiracy. And for a while, the facts were kept secret; but now it's clear what happened, and there's a trail of evidence.

In this case, who is the Israeli pilot, where and how long was he jailed? Who was the sailor who installed the antenna? Who are all the rest of the sailors on the ship at the time? What do they have to say?

Its a well known incident with books, documentaries and a fairly detailed wikipedia entry. Its not relevant to the topic we are discussing and it should probably be in the politics section.
Old 06-09-20, 02:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I'd say it's relevant to the topic in that it seems like it meets criteria that would validate it to be a historical conspiracy that has widespread consensus as being true, rather than a Conspiracy Theory qua Conspiracy Theory (look how smart I am, I used 'qua' in a sentence) which public consensus views as kookiness, but some politically-motivated subgroup latches onto and claims that the public consensus a cover-up, and they're smarter than all those sheeple and can see through it to the secret conspiracy underneath.

So for anybody who is on the margin of falling into a conspiracy theory, it could be useful to compare: over here, these are the criteria by which we can have confidence that this alleged conspiracy really happened, vs this theory you're looking at now, what happens if we apply the same standard of evidence?
Old 06-09-20, 03:00 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
There have been some very nutty episodes in human history such as the Dutch Tulip craze and the 30 Years War, well before the internet. For that matter, we can cite WWl and WWII, which in my book was nutty.

It is well established that people under pressure become a bit crazier than usual. Not only crazier than usual but in the current environment, where the middle class are becoming poorer and their kids are loosing hope for a better future, it seems to me there are many people were looking for a life preserver and Trump, as a skilled manipulator, knows how to work those buttons. Fortunately, he is becoming crazier by the week and is beginning to lose support of key Republicans. His end is near and the white coats are coming.
Old 06-09-20, 04:25 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
I'd say it's relevant to the topic in that it seems like it meets criteria that would validate it to be a historical conspiracy that has widespread consensus as being true, rather than a Conspiracy Theory qua Conspiracy Theory (look how smart I am, I used 'qua' in a sentence) which public consensus views as kookiness, but some politically-motivated subgroup latches onto and claims that the public consensus a cover-up, and they're smarter than all those sheeple and can see through it to the secret conspiracy underneath.

So for anybody who is on the margin of falling into a conspiracy theory, it could be useful to compare: over here, these are the criteria by which we can have confidence that this alleged conspiracy really happened, vs this theory you're looking at now, what happens if we apply the same standard of evidence?
If I believe it, its a sinister event, planned by dark mysterious forces. If you believe it then its a conspiracy theory.

I'm not even sure what the actual conspiracy is, and I don't really want to discuss it, but if others do, go at it. I just think it belongs somewhere else.
Old 06-09-20, 04:27 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 593 Posts
In this case there is a BBC Documentary and a lot of other first-hand accounts. SAC came within minutes of dropping an H-bomb on Cairo.
Old 06-09-20, 04:31 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
And here's how effective conventional science and medicine are: medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US, killing up to 440,000 people annually.

10 to 20% of all deaths during hospitalizations are due to medical error.
Old 06-09-20, 04:37 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Therefore JFK was killed by a magic bullet?
Old 06-09-20, 04:52 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 593 Posts
Therefore JFK was killed by a magic bullet?
The bullet was a quantum-mechanical entity.

Different positions depending upon the observer.
Old 06-09-20, 04:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

BACK... and TO THE LEFT

Old 06-10-20, 06:07 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
While medical errors are the third leading cause of death, leading to upwards of 440,000 deaths annually in the US, the fourth leading cause is from the correct use of prescription drugs, which cause an additional 128,000 deaths in the US alone every year. This figure does not include deaths from overdose.

Surpassing both however by many orders of magnitude are the 1.4 MILLION deaths of unborn babies by abortion "doctors."

In other words, conventional medicine and pharmaceutical pseudo-science directly cause up to 2 million deaths annually in the United States.

Furthermore, your chances of suffering from health problems from any prescription drug is at least 20%.

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Or you could just apply very basic critical thinking skills.

One remarkably illuminating test is to just ask "under what conditions would the proponent accept that their theory is refuted by the facts?"

If there aren't any such conditions (meaning the theory can "explain" any set of contradictory explanations, and is therefore untestable), then you know you are dealing with a vacuous claim.
For example, where is the photographic evidence of coronavirus?

I've already proven that conventional medical "science" is responsible for the deaths of up to 2 million Americans every year. That is an appalling track record by any standard.

Last edited by jjafterdark; 06-10-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 06:16 PM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I hope you don't end up in my COVID 19 icu where we have a 88% save rate due to Emory's unique COVID protocols. Most of them were like you, thought COVID was a hoax until they developed multiple organ clotting and/or pulmonary embolisms and ARDS ….. I had to leave my cushy office practice and get redeployed after 9 yrs out of the ICU to save your ass and working 7 days a week and endanger my family.... all because it is a conspiracy...…...even in the worst of flu epidemics or disasters have they had to redeploy someone like me who left the hospital after 13 yrs to concentrate on outpatient practice....

https://www.pnhp.org/

Last edited by cbhungry; 06-10-20 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For cbhungry:
Old 06-10-20, 06:23 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cbhungry View Post
I hope you don't end up in my COVID 19 icu where we have a 88% save rate due to Emory's unique COVID protocols. Most of them were like you, thought COVID was a hoax until they developed multiple organ clotting and/or pulmonary embolisms and ARDS ….. I had to leave my cushy office practice and get redeployed after 9 yrs out of the ICU to save your ass and working 7 days a week and endanger my family.... all because it is a conspiracy...…...
99.2% of those who supposedly died from "coronavirus" in Italy had pre-existing serious medical conditions. Note also that Italy has the oldest average population in Europe.

The article also notes that 75% of coronavirus positive tests are false positives.

And note that you still have no photographic evidence of coronavirus.

https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/19/...rGmSmVZUz7HNjH

There is no evidence of flu deaths. The "death count" is actually just a statistical estimate without lab testing or autopsies to back up even a single claim of death by flu.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-deat ... -1.1127442

Last edited by jjafterdark; 06-10-20 at 06:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.