Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What is a significant weight difference on a MTB?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-24-19, 06:36 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

Just looking at specs and geometry on a few bikes compared to mine and I noticed that from a geometry perspective some much more expensive bikes have the EXACT same geometry. Yes there are more expensive components but those can be upgraded, and then I look at weight and while my bike is right around 30 pounds stock, some bikes triple the price are 28 pounds stock. I thought well, new wheels, shock and some carbon bits and I could drop 2 pounds...maybe more...then I thought...would I REALLY notice it? I bet lighter wheels will be noticeable because its rotating mass. Anything else...I'm curious about.
Old 10-24-19, 07:31 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
You can spread a lot of money to loose just 2 pounds. Not to downplay weight, but I don't think there is going to be much of a difference from 30 to 28 pounds on your bike unless you are a serious racer. I always heard if your going to want to shred a few pounds, do it with your wheels or your body. My MTB weighs 32 and my gravel bike weighs 21 pounds. Funny story.... my friend has two road bikes that are a lot lighter than my gravel bike (Trek Checkpoint) but he wants to ride my gravel bike over his much lighter road bikes.

Last edited by CodyDog; 10-24-19 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 07:35 PM
jrhoneOC

Thanks...I am working on the body....down 32 pounds and going. Goal is 50-60. THAT I can feel already.
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-24-19, 09:14 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
The only time I ever really noticed two pounds is when I replaced a six pound crappy spring fork with a decent mid-grade four pound air fork.

Mostly because it was two pounds hanging unbalanced off the front of the bike.

Also because the replacement was just plain a much better fork and even though it made the bike balance much better, the improved traction was a bigger deal.

Weight adds up in a lot of places and there are only a few easy inexpensive ways to drop it.

Good job on the personal weight loss.
Old 10-25-19, 06:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
It depends where the weight is.

Two lbs on the wheels (tire and rims) is noticeable, but not a big deal otherwise, IMO. You notice it more picking it up than riding it.

Try this: ride your bike with and without 32oz of water in water bottles.

I would not buy a 30 lb bike with the plan to replace stuff to get a 28 lb bike. You may end up spending more than if you just bought the more expensive bike, and there may be other reasons the other bike is more expensive. So you could well spend more money and have a worse bike.

If you have specific bike in mind, post them with their specs.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-25-19, 07:02 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Two lbs on the wheels (tire and rims) is noticeable, but not a big deal otherwise, IMO. You notice it more picking it up than riding it.

I would not buy a 30 lb bike with the plan to replace stuff to get a 28 lb bike. You may end up spending more than if you just bought the more expensive bike, and there may be other reasons the other bike is more expensive. So you could well spend more money and have a worse bike.

Sound advice.
Old 10-25-19, 09:03 AM
jrhoneOC

Thanks. Im not looking to dump money into this bike. Its a brand new bike and im learning and getting into shape on it. Currently it far exceeds my abilities so I am very happy with it. I was just wondering aside from components what makes a more expensive bike THAT much more expensive. I kept seeing “lightweight” in the literature but when I looked up bike weight they arent significantly lighter. So I was wondering is a few pounds significant? To me its not but again Im a newb.
Old 10-25-19, 09:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
"The Ripmo AF frame weighs in at 8.25lbs for a medium with a DVO Topaz shock. Compare that to the carbon Ripmo, which weighs 6.1lbs with a Fox Float DPX2."

The difference between the lowest and highest Eagle groupsets is well north of a pound. Most of this is in the crank and cassette.

DT Swiss calls its expensive carbon wheels "1500" and its standard alloy wheels "1900" and that's because there's about a pound of difference between the sets.

There's weight to be saved in the seat post and handlebars and etc.

Maybe a pound in the fork? haven't looked.

You can save about a pound out of each tire going from trail tires to XC racing tires, but you probably shouldn't unless you are XC racing.

If you still have tubes there's more than a pound of savings going to tubeless, even more with plus or fat tires.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-25-19, 01:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Thanks. Im not looking to dump money into this bike. Its a brand new bike and im learning and getting into shape on it. Currently it far exceeds my abilities so I am very happy with it. I was just wondering aside from components what makes a more expensive bike THAT much more expensive. I kept seeing “lightweight” in the literature but when I looked up bike weight they arent significantly lighter. So I was wondering is a few pounds significant? To me its not but again Im a newb.
There is a LOT more than weight that makes one bike cost more than another. But without knowing what you are looking at it is hard to say what that it.

Two forks can weigh the same, but one be worth 4 times what the other is because it performs better. Same with full suspension frames.
Old 10-25-19, 01:32 PM
jrhoneOC

There is a LOT more than weight that makes one bike cost more than another. But without knowing what you are looking at it is hard to say what that it.

Two forks can weigh the same, but one be worth 4 times what the other is because it performs better. Same with full suspension frames.
yes i know this. That wasnt the question. I know a more expensive fork will be lighter AND perform better because its a better fork. If I am speaking of Frame alone. And one frame is 8 pounds and one is 6 pounds, is that a big difference or not. Thats kinda where im going.
Old 10-25-19, 01:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Trek Procaliber 9.9 is 20# with tubes, for what it's worth
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-25-19, 02:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

yes i know this. That wasnt the question. I know a more expensive fork will be lighter AND perform better because its a better fork. If I am speaking of Frame alone. And one frame is 8 pounds and one is 6 pounds, is that a big difference or not. Thats kinda where im going.
I am confused. You were asking about “bikes” - which is generally understood to mean complete bikes - and now you are just interested in comparing frames?

Yes, in the world of frames, 2 pounds is a pretty big difference. But in the context of complete bike weight, it’s really not.

But again, it is more than just weight that makes one frame more expensive than another.

And BTW, whether you are talking about frames or forks, more expensive and “better” does not always mean lighter.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-25-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 03:59 PM
jrhoneOC

I am confused. You were asking about “bikes” - which is generally understood to mean complete bikes - and now you are just interested in comparing frames?

Yes, in the world of frames, 2 pounds is a pretty big difference. But in the context of complete bike weight, it’s really not.

But again, it is more than just weight that makes one frame more expensive than another.

And BTW, whether you are talking about frames or forks, more expensive and “better” does not always mean lighter.
Lets make it simple. On a 30 pound bike us 2 pounds weight loss significant. How about 3? 5? What’s significant that someone other than a racer would feel?

If i went from a 30 pound bike to a 28 pound bike with all things being similar would I feel the difference?
Old 10-25-19, 04:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Lets make it simple. On a 30 pound bike us 2 pounds weight loss significant. How about 3? 5? What’s significant that someone other than a racer would feel?

If i went from a 30 pound bike to a 28 pound bike with all things being similar would I feel the difference?
Got it.

I would refer you to my first answer, then.
Old 10-25-19, 05:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Agree with others that no point spending big bucks to lose 2 lbs. Easier to take a **** before the ride is the often heard advice. But I like the idea of 2 water bottles and see if you feel the difference. I think you need to be in the 4-6 lbs range before you’d feel the difference.
Old 10-25-19, 10:56 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
There really isn't that much difference in frame weight, not between frames and relative to the overall weight. My previous "modern" mountain bike was an entry level aluminum Schwinn, a Rocket 2, the frame alone weighed 5.5 pounds. That's on a bike I paid $330 for. Out of the box the bike weighed about 30 pounds. That's almost 25 lbs of stuff that isn't frame.

My current bike, decent aluminum FS XCM frame weighs 6.5 with shock. That builds up to a 24 pound bike. A pound or two either way on the frame isn't a big deal. Even if it were three pounds, it's central to the bike and not changing the balance or center of gravity.
Old 10-25-19, 11:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Everything adds up. For a full suspension, fork + shock make a huge difference. Take a look at jensonusa, and they have single crown forks from $125 - $1100. And shocks from $225-1100.

Next big one is probably wheels. $200 wheelset or $2000 wheelset?
Old 10-25-19, 11:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm not a mountain bike rider, but I would assume the same issues apply to MTBs as Road bikes, perhaps even more so.

So, you might not feel the difference between a 30lb MTB and a 28lb MTB.

But, you will feel the difference between a 30lb MTB and a 19lb MTB.

However, you likely will find a number of subtle differences between the top of the line and the bottom of the line, or even midrange bikes.

Better tires, better hubs, better brakes, better groupset, suspension, shocks, etc.

Unfortunately, once you get down around 20 lbs, they will get really expensive.
Old 10-26-19, 07:12 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

Doubtful being that the sum of the whole (all parts together) would diminish and noticeable difference. So I'm guessing I would start noticing a big difference at about 5 lbs or more.
Old 10-26-19, 08:00 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If you are looking for a hard number for what amount of weight makes a difference.... there isn’t one. And if there was such a number, it would likely vary by person.
Old 10-26-19, 08:21 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Another consideration is that the lighter MTB won't always be faster.

I have a 24 lb hardtail that's faster on smoother trails but my 29lb full suspension is faster in the rough stuff, even on long climbs that are rocky the heavier bike yields my fastest times.

I'd love to have a 24 lb full suspension, but I'm not likely to spend the dough on one anytime soon.
Old 11-01-19, 12:39 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Best advice I've heard in a long long time.
Old 11-03-19, 07:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Excellent advice throughout. I would add a suggestion to the OP. I am 62 and an avid roadie and weight weenie as my buddy calls me. I love the open road but I like mtb and trailriding for the adrenaline rush on singletracks. So I bough a ‘97 Trek 7000 total rigid which cuts weight to a decent 25lbs. My ‘87 Trek 830 Antelope weighs 27. The 7000 is aluminum. As long as I keep MY weight proper and stay in shape, this bike gets my attention.
Old 11-04-19, 09:16 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I've gotten a FS Pivot to sub 24 pounds and it wasn't cheap. In the end, I really didn't need such an extreme build for my uses and recently sold the frame.
A stock Pivot 429SL is about 28 pounds with XT and aluminum wheels. At the end of the day, I calculated about 4K more in parts to lose about 4 pounds, was it worth it? For me not really, but for someone who is more than a casual racer, maybe.
Since moved the parts to an aluminum frame and it sits at around 28 pounds with some of the light weight parts. No need to be a weight weenie when I won't give up the Hope brakes.
Old 11-11-19, 08:06 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
How much money have you got?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.