Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

What's your Isolation Obsession?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-21-20, 10:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v2,'74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 136 Posts

Currently mine is analyzing minutiae of bikes I'll never purchase.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-21-20, 10:48 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,106 Times in 570 Posts
Finding an effective antiviral agent to target a noncoding RNA structure embedded in coronavirus genomes.

That, and obsessively worrying about the pandemic, the collapse of the economy and society, etc. I'm not riding my bikes enough.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 03-21-20, 11:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 878 Times in 591 Posts
beer supply is low. Need to reload the beer fridge. Tomorrow’s mission.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-21-20, 11:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11792 Post(s)
Liked 3,076 Times in 1,746 Posts
I put some flower bulbs in the back yard to occupy my mind for a couple hours. A squirrel keeps digging them up, there's one in particular it really likes. I'm training the cat to hunt squirrels.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-21-20, 11:42 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,106 Times in 570 Posts
My cats have killed squirrels. I really hate that.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 03-21-20, 11:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 694 Posts
Old videos by The Distillers.

New videos by The Distillers, because Brody is still da queen.

Old classic boxing videos.

Finally finishing season 3 of Deadwood, mostly during indoor trainer sessions.

Rearranging my apartment and decluttering. They replaced my old carpet with wood grain flooring so it seems like a good opportunity to change things up after umpteen years in the same place.
Old 03-22-20, 12:25 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 322 Posts
Personally i feel we are at our best when we serve others in need in situations like this. While being mindful of the taking the right precautions i’m working with groups that get the elderly needed grocery and/or pharmacy items, getting needed hygiene supplies to the homeless and food items to the less fortunate (especially children not getting meals at school anymore) through our community food pantry. A simple act of kindness can go a long way. With today’s coronavirus climate, it can mean even more.
Old 03-23-20, 12:50 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Old videos by The Distillers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tnvf9RPUaQ

New videos by The Distillers, because Brody is still da queen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rER4t3cUQhE

the kiss with Shirley Manson 1:55
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-23-20, 07:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 291 Posts
Neglected bike maintenance, yardwork projects under my wife's supervision, re-organizing my bike clothing bins (a la Marie Kondo), and not watching any television news
Old 03-23-20, 08:17 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 105 Posts
Watching the financial markets, waiting to jump in with some fresh cash. I thought the markets would run into some financial hick-ups and take a dive, but I never expected something like COVID-19 to come along and 'tank' them so badly and so quickly. On the plus side this'll really improve my retirement portfolio. .

My employer's gotten really bad at keeping employees informed, so I suspect early this week (if not today, Monday) we'll all be sent home to either take time off or work from home. IF that happens I'll be doing a lot more gardening and bicycle riding.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-23-20, 09:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 210 Posts
Thinking about all the chores that I could be doing around the house but can't due to this intermittent rain. With all this free time and having the wife at home I'd really like to get the windows on the house cleaned and start getting the ground ready for some Spring planting. Also, some medium level maintenance on all the bikes in the garage. Also, scouring Amazon Prime for movies that both of us would enjoy. Our taste in movies is not the same, so finding the right one can take some time.
Old 03-23-20, 09:09 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 37 Posts
Seattle Forrest
Now is not the time to be training cats to eat squirrels. With all the hoarding going on there may be a slight food shortage in the coming months.
I have been having a devil of a time trying to keep the local squirrels at bay here. They eat tomatoes right off the vine. They eat the fruit off the trees . They are even tearing open the trash bags. I'm ready to start thinning the herd. In my youth I hunted enough to keep the entire family in fish,squirrel, rabbits and ducks. We had big red squirrels but I'm betting these little grey's we have taste ok also.
Note - If you wish to live trap these pests, there is no bait better than a half handful of salted in the shell peanuts.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 03-23-20, 11:29 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Currently mine is analyzing minutiae of bikes I'll never purchase.
I spent several hours analyzing new refrigerators. Just like I did back in early December. Our fridge is making a horrible noise when the compressor turns off, the thing was used when it came with the house we bought back in 2006.

I ran into the same ol' road block. What my wife wants and what I'm willing to pay for are two different things. I really don't want to buy a stainless fridge when all the other appliances are white. Plus, I'd rather buy a plain top freezer fridge for < $900.00 than a > $1200.00 SxS with water/ice dispenser that requires a $43.00 filter to be changed every 6 months.

Because my wife's work hours just got cut by 20%, and my live at home stepson got "furloughed", I put the purchase on the backburner again. The stay at home daughter will be doing online college classes, and the other two stepdaughters are still working at the moment.

Regarding helping others in this crisis, family members and good friends will be helped as usual as needed. Many will lose work if they haven't already, and most of them live paycheck to paycheck.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-23-20, 12:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Yup everything is different right now. In someways better I notice people being more polite and civil around here. I know it might be different elsewhere. I can really sense the anxiety and extra caution people have. As of now there are no Covid 19 cases nearby but that will probably change. Luckily I got a stash of bike parts and stuff so I don’t have to purchase anything bike related. Just concentrating on beer and food. I can ride in isolation because my bike routes are rural and I might come across a walker/runner or some kids just cruising around on their bikes. Appliances all working as of right now. But yeah I had a deep freeze that was making that death noise it lasted a few weeks then let’s say it got stinking. I strapped it to the bucket of tractor and chunked it way in the back and let nature take care of it ( buzzards ). It was a hand me down from 1984 lasted a few years. The beer fridge was going to get thrown away from my neighbors company I was like I will take it! Cleaned it up and has been a great garage fridge since. Corporate waste lol. Now to pass the time as everything is locked down.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 03-23-20 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I’m getting a new eye exam soon
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-23-20, 01:15 PM
making

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Craft beer and interior house painting.
Old 03-23-20, 02:29 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Watching the financial markets, waiting to jump in with some fresh cash. I thought the markets would run into some financial hick-ups and take a dive, but I never expected something like COVID-19 to come along and 'tank' them so badly and so quickly. On the plus side this'll really improve my retirement portfolio. .

My employer's gotten really bad at keeping employees informed, so I suspect early this week (if not today, Monday) we'll all be sent home to either take time off or work from home. IF that happens I'll be doing a lot more gardening and bicycle riding.
As predicted, today my employer implemented "Work-From-Home" or leave time for the next two weeks (minimum). I got stuff to do that should take two weeks, after that things will get a little slim and I'll probably have to take some leave time.

On a positive note: The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped another 3% today. Over the last two weeks its dropped about 35% (insane!! ), and earnings reporting season is next week. I just hope investors have already factored in the coronavirus' effects on companies earnings as part of that 35% drop or the next few weeks are not going to be pretty.
Old 03-23-20, 04:27 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup everything is different right now. In someways better I notice people being more polite and civil around here.

It's the same around here. Everyone I talk to has the feeling that we're in it togehter, that we all have something in common we can relate to -- not getting sick, not getting anyone else sick.

I know it must be different other places but here it's a nice feeling of everybody on the same side.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 03-23-20, 04:36 PM
WGB
WGB

Bikes: League Fuji

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Working on a french threaded bike.
Old 03-26-20, 10:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts
Still Joy Division.
Old 03-26-20, 10:43 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 402 Posts
^ One of the click-bait headlines on my google feed read something like "How Joy Division is Perfect for Coronavirus."

How is Joy Division not perfect for ... anything?

So I've been watching a ton of Curb Your Enthusiasm (went back to season 1), been slowly building up a couple bikes, and also working in the garden. The forecast says we'll have 60° sunny weather up here in the Pac NW in a week ... can't get here soon enough.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-27-20, 08:25 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
^ One of the click-bait headlines on my google feed read something like "How Joy Division is Perfect for Coronavirus."

How is Joy Division not perfect for ... anything?
edit - oops, missed the word NOT I'm sure this song was on the list, covered by the Pumpkins

...with D'arcy looking as strangely cool as ever. I sent this video to my daughter learning the bass during all this for inspiration

....along with some interviews from our namesake who I'm sure you'd endorse. When Kim Deal answered the ad from Black Francis she didn't even have a bass but liked Husker Du & Peter, Paul & Mary

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-27-20 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-27-20, 08:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Obsessed with weed eating today, This will take all day and by the end of the day I will be dead dog tired. Full body workout .. thawing out some chicken to put on the smoker. While the chicken is smoking I will address all the physical damage caused by the weed eater with peroxide and band aids and find dried blood where you don’t even realize you were bleeding. But the place will look good and I can sit in a chair with a cold beer listening to some tunes. Then hit the sack and be out cold in seconds to wake up the next day feeling like a got run over by a dump truck. Then get on my bike to get the blood flowing to sooth the sore muscles. That is about it for the recent obsession .
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-27-20, 09:22 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Working on a french threaded bike.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
yardwork projects under my wife's supervision
Tough choice here, eh
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-27-20, 11:56 AM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji View Post
... my daughter learning the bass during all this...

When Kim Deal answered the ad from Black Francis she didn't even have a bass.
Laura Lee as well. I think she joined Khruangbin not knowing the instrument. She's really good now.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-27-20, 12:10 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 100 Posts
^ Very nice indeed. Added to my spotify queue. Thank you for sharing
Likes For skijor:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.