Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Has anybody else experienced USA shipping delays?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-29-20, 01:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11320 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 677 Posts

I purchased a part on E-Bay on April 21.
It was listed as "Tracking number Provided" on April 23
Then NOTHING.

No origin scans
No tracking scans

Delivery date scheduled for April 28 (yesterday).

It was supposed to have been shipped from Ontario, California. But, I inadvertently found a Chinese seller. I assume the seller has some agreement for a domestic warehouse. But, that may go by different rules than a small USA business.

I tried contacting the seller, who blamed it on Fedex.
"Sorry for the inconvenience.,due to the impact of the covid-19 ,it will be a little delay .Fedex dont pick up timely . "
A couple other sellers from China seem to use that same Ontario distributor (or multiple accounts for the same seller). But, there is a US registered seller in Circle Pines, Minnesota that I could go to for $20 more. But I already ordered a "spare", and don't need 2 spares.

Has anybody else run into extreme domestic shipping delays with this Coronavirus thing?
Old 04-29-20, 04:18 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
We have been shipping through the shut down - mainly USPS small package stuff.

Our experience is seeing a bit quicker delivery, rather than delay.

We ship from Minnesota, but don't think that is a key to shipping. Seems like the post office has less to do these days.

rusty
Old 04-29-20, 05:07 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes View Post
We have been shipping through the shut down - mainly USPS small package stuff.

Our experience is seeing a bit quicker delivery, rather than delay.

We ship from Minnesota, but don't think that is a key to shipping. Seems like the post office has less to do these days.

rusty
I would think the Post Office would have more to do. Especially with people being locked down, and ordering goods and services onine. Here in Canada the PO is saying the package buisness is more like Xmas.

"Expect Delays".
Old 04-29-20, 05:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11320 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
I would think the Post Office would have more to do. Especially with people being locked down, and ordering goods and services onine. Here in Canada the PO is saying the package buisness is more like Xmas.

"Expect Delays".
Yes, I think package volume is up. Although here in the USA, the post office has been complaining about junk mail being down which is their bread and butter.

The USPS also has issues with for some reason charging less postage for packages originating in China than they charge for packages originating in the USA.

In this case, the seller is blaming this on Fedex, not the USPS. I think I have seen scans messed up, and skipping origin scans, but usually one sees multiple scans as items move across the country, which this one is missing. A claim the item was shipped a week ago, and then nothing.

The feedback indicates a high volume seller, with 0.6% being late, never arrived, etc.

The seller sent a message to give it 2 more days. I'll wait, but I'm not convinced this is a FEDEX problem.
Old 04-29-20, 06:22 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 151 Posts
Happening in Australia too, Ebay drop shippers from China using freight forwarding, in our case it's Australia Post (our USPS) that consolidate freight through an agent in China. Normally the sellers get away with saying the item is located in Australia because it turns up with an Australia Post label on it. Ordered something from ebay recently and it took 6 weeks to turn up, 4 weeks late. Zero tracking after entering the system until the day it turned up. I've noticed the same seller now notes the item location as China.
At the very least raise an issue with Ebay, as that covers you for non delivery. You have 30 days to do that from the estimated delivery date, otherwise if it doesn't turn up you lose your money.
Old 04-29-20, 07:47 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX, Blue Norcorss AL, Lynskey R300

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I have a package I shipped on 4/16/2020 via USPS Priority Mail. So far it has not reached its destination. The tracking information says it is in transit and the expected delivery is now 3 days late. It took a week to get off the "information received awaiting package" message. I think the express turtles are overworked.
Old 04-29-20, 07:49 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 13688 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 443 Posts
I don't know about extreme but some of my regular vendors are reporting delays in shipping of up to 4 days due to staffing requirements and a heavy increase in online ordering from people who aren't going to stores to buy the products.

All of my local hobby shops are closed due to shelter in place rules so the online stores are the only places to buy. That compounded by people looking for more things to do at home has vastly increased the online sales of those who are allowed to stay in business. These aren't huge business establishments and they can't simply go out and hire a lot of additional staff that will have to be laid off again at some point in the future.
Old 04-29-20, 07:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 211 Posts
YES, I have been stocking up on wear parts just in case for the next couple of years. You know chains, brake pads nothing major just stuff like that. I ordered a chain for my 9 speed and it took 2x as long. My last order on Amazon for butt cream took over 2 weeks. I don't mind the delays as long as they get here but yeah, 6 months ago 2-3 days max.

USPS is crazy busy according to my mail lady.

However my wife ordered a printer from a big box store for our home office and it arrived the next day, didn't pay for any fast shipping so who knows.
Old 04-29-20, 08:24 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Drop shipping and fulfillment warehouses: These have become a component of the "get rich quick" online phenomenon. Unfortunately, it presents way too many stages and opportunities for each component in that chain to play the blame game on one another. The problem is that margins are thin and each company knows if they are found at fault they will have to absorb the loss and provide compensation to the customer. Many intermediary companies will give you the song-and-dance for as long as they can in order to not post that loss until the "next" week.
Old 04-29-20, 08:40 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 468 Posts
Ebay "guaranteed" I would receive the Italian bottom bracket I ordered by Monday. It's Wednesday, still no sign of it. I don't know what good this guarantee is, if there's no recourse for late delivery.

If I complain to the vendor, they blame the post office. If complain to the post office, they just laugh and blame Ebay for making such a promise. If I complain to Ebay, they blame the vendor AND the post office.

Such BS, I just want my stuff. If I lied this much in my line of work, I'd lose my license and be sued. There is absolutely no excuse for this, what I would call "low grade fraud". But it's still fraudulent and reflects very poorly on everyone involved.
Old 04-29-20, 09:09 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Happening in Australia too, Ebay drop shippers from China using freight forwarding, in our case it's Australia Post (our USPS) that consolidate freight through an agent in China. Normally the sellers get away with saying the item is located in Australia because it turns up with an Australia Post label on it. Ordered something from ebay recently and it took 6 weeks to turn up, 4 weeks late. Zero tracking after entering the system until the day it turned up. I've noticed the same seller now notes the item location as China.
At the very least raise an issue with Ebay, as that covers you for non delivery. You have 30 days to do that from the estimated delivery date, otherwise if it doesn't turn up you lose your money.
Ah, so that's what's happening to me. I use the "US only" location option in ebay trying to avoid that. I've got something coming that seems to have been shipped several states away. The vendor has an ebay.com.hk (hong kong, I assume) email address. Frick...
Old 04-29-20, 09:44 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 625 Posts
Ordered some socks from Amazon Prime they said there would be a few days late since they were shipping more urgent stuff.. I would guess masks, TP, disinfectants etc etc ... No big deal.
Old 04-29-20, 09:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 468 Posts
Aha, so they played the dreaded "Covid-19 Card". You should write back and tell them, "Dear Sirs, I'm a little short on cash due to not working this month because of Covid-19 shutdowns, so I'm going to have to stop payment on my credit card. These are trying times, but I'm sure you'll understand. Appreciate the patience, stay safe."
Old 04-29-20, 01:33 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 107 Posts
The airport at Ontario, California hosts all the major package delivery services (they all have large facilities there, hosting large aircraft, 747 and similar), but I'm not aware overseas stuff comes in there - that would usually arrive at the big package centers at Los Angeles Intl Airport to go through customs inspection, too. The Ontario airport is in the middle of an industrial park with oodles of warehouses, so it may have come from China to LAX to a warehouse in Ontario via truck, then reshipped/waiting shipping via the Ontario airport.

I've ordered stuff with the budget 'free' shipping option and its taken two weeks to get to me. I realized that when I chose that option, so I'm surprised your seller didn't inform you about that if its a commercial business. FWIW: I've never ordered anything off of E-Bay, just Amazon's 'marketplace' 3rd party sellers. So far no issues.
Old 04-29-20, 01:50 PM
mprince

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I had a recent online bike shop order that got held up for almost a week because the bar tape that was part of the order didn't come in on time (attributed to COVID-19 by the shop). Once they received the tape the order arrived to me pretty quickly (via UPS). Unfortunately the tape that held that order up was utter crap, and I now believe the hold-up was truly COVID-related because the tape manufacturer has not gotten back to me since I sent them a message a week ago. That's another story though.

So, yes I have seen some delays, and Amazon is fairly up front as well communicating that non-essential goods will have potentially delayed shipping.
Old 04-29-20, 02:04 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 64 Posts
My packages have been timely, both coming and going. But yeah, almost everything that ships on ebay out of southern cal is chinese origination. Contact their customer service and you'll get your answer around 6M Eastern time because that is early morning for them. At least on ebay if it doesn't arrive by estimated time it's really simple to get a refund.
Old 05-06-20, 11:09 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8454 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 628 Posts
I have experienced delays by certain companies, from which I ordered directly... but from Amazon... stuff arrives on time and right at the door.
Old 05-06-20, 12:59 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 45 Posts

No, I am okay.
Old 05-06-20, 01:01 PM
fooferdoggie

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
I have had several first class packages that took forever to be delivered after they were shipped a couple took over 2 weeks and only two states away.
Old 05-06-20, 05:42 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Yes, I've had a couple of eBay orders that said they were located in the US, said they were shipped and then spent a couple of weeks "In transit to our shipping partner" or something to that effect. I suspect they were on a slow boat from China. No serious delays on Amazon orders other than Prime often no longer advertising 2 day delivery for some items.
Old 05-07-20, 05:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3551 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 701 Posts
Nope. But I've bought only from Amazon or very small sellers who are one-person or family operations. If the small businesses can't fulfill orders they'll say so on their website, which I appreciate. No problems with delivery via USPS for individual sales either.

However I did get an email from Nashbar admitting they'd fallen behind in deliveries due to loss of employees and increased orders from customers who had free time. I haven't ordered from Nashbar since the change in ownership a couple of years ago, so it didn't affect me. That's the only such email I've received from the many businesses on my email subscription lists.
Old 05-07-20, 06:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 384 Posts
I ordered 3 laptops from Dell, delivery was projected at about 2 weeks, which I'm guessing is longer than normal. Watching the tracking it looked like it was going to take even longer, but in the end they actually arrived 1 day before their initial projection.

Ordered a few things from ebay US sellers, most came promptly. One did not; about a week after the initial shipping estimate tracking said USPS had not picked it up yet. I contacted the seller, he said it was USPS' tracking error, and indeed it showed up later that day.
Old 05-07-20, 06:40 AM
mprince

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Ordered something from an online shop earlier this week which showed in stock. Got a message that due to COVID-19 guidelines in their state, there would be a delay in them shipping the item. Only a couple of days, so not a big deal, and the order is for a maintenance item so I'm not in a huge hurry to receive it. I am seeing much larger transit times for Amazon orders though, especially non-Prime items that are shipped via their USPS programs.
Old 05-07-20, 08:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 625 Posts
Bike light I ordered from Amazon Prime took 7 extra business days. They should refund my Amazon Prime membership fee. 2 day air is what I pre paid for. US priority mail is fast though...
Old 05-08-20, 12:12 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8454 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 628 Posts
Just got products from two different non Amazon companies... one was Barracuda Hot Head... They never notified me of shipping... but it arrived none the less ordered on 4/28... and a few other items have also arrived from various companies... about a week or so has been typical. Prime has been fast for most items.

Last edited by genec; 05-08-20 at 12:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.