Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bike shortages are about to get very real

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bike shortages are about to get very real

Old 05-14-20, 10:00 PM
  #1  
gus6464
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 59 Times in 45 Posts
Bike shortages are about to get very real

Talked to my shop and was told that manufacturers are almost running out of their yearly allocations. It's not because of covid and production halt but because the demand has been considerably greater than last year. Most manufacturers order production runs for the entire year ahead of time by almost a year and once they're delivered it's next to impossible to get a second batch that wasn't ordered way ahead of time.

They are expecting 2020 models to be completely sold out for the year by June-July. So if anyone is planning on getting a new ride you better jump on it or wait until the 2021 production run.
gus6464 is offline  
Likes For gus6464:
Old 05-15-20, 05:09 AM
  #2  
blitzo
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because of the lockdowns, outdoor activities are becoming popular. Same thing with home gym equipment.
blitzo is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 06:03 AM
  #3  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 331 Posts
My fave shop is almost completely out of sub-$1,000 bikes -- people are buying them for commuting since they are staying away from public transportation. Shop owner told me that they just can't get anymore such bikes, at least from their brands - QBP, Kona, and a couple others.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 06:45 AM
  #4  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,547
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 465 Posts
I'm just tickled the hear this! Couldn't sell my Raleigh Tamland a few months ago, even at a give away price Time for a CL listing!
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-15-20, 06:54 AM
  #5  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,027

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 239 Posts
I'm good to go. Just got a fresh drivetrain on the Revolt, Defy is only a couple of months old. Next bike on my radar is a 2021 that I'll probably wait until later next year to get anyway. Maybe find one gently used that someone buys in the frenzy and then never rides.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 08:22 PM
  #6  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,833

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 40 Posts
Expensive bikes are somewhat available but lower cost are getting scarce. It is caused in part by the tarriffs on the fall/winter then the virus shutdown in Jan-Mar. that halted production that woukd have been making the bikes then to sell now. High end bikes are still fairly available. Some parts and wheels are getting scarce too.
dwmckee is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 09:05 PM
  #7  
thenomad
Riding like its 1990
 
thenomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IE, SoCal
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
time to sell my older one for $600 and UPGRADE!
thenomad is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 09:08 PM
  #8  
fooferdoggie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
e bikes are really hot too. but the bike shops are weeks out on services now.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 11:21 PM
  #9  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,604

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
e bikes are really hot too. but the bike shops are weeks out on services now.
So this causes a bit of inner turmoil....

local Giant dealer has a Revolt E+ Pro in my size. I really do want an E bike. (just because)
However I had other plans and an E-bike just doesn't fit into them.....

Well all this shutdown kind of has me in a situation anyways. I Got the Van, got the MTB, Now I just need a Gravel bike to pack in the van with the MTB and Go! But If I can't get out this year in the van then Yes I'd probably rather have the Revolt E+ pro and keep my Supersix EVO himod for local riding.

In the meantime I am still being indecisive on a gravel bike. I am also holding out to see what Giant brings with the Revolt Advanced for 2021. I am hoping for a GRX 1x.

the two bikes being argued are the Revolt Advanced vs Niner RLT RDO.... both being available in multiple locations and also from the Factory and I don't see a shortage. One local shop has a 2019 Revolt advanced 1 for 1900$ Hmm but I'd rather have Shimano brakes. If I had to deal with SRAM brakes then there is the Whipshot 853 Force from Bikesdirect.
Metieval is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 03:29 AM
  #10  
srode1
Gravel Rocks
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 285

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
I'm just tickled the hear this! Couldn't sell my Raleigh Tamland a few months ago, even at a give away price Time for a CL listing!
Sold an older bike on CL a few weeks ago, it was purchased fairly quickly and for a good price, by someone wanting to get out doors and ride since Gyms were closed.
srode1 is offline  
Likes For srode1:
Old 05-17-20, 07:05 PM
  #11  
jimmyodonnell
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I bought 4 bikes last week after shopping for a couple months. All four are Specialized Sirrus X models . . . but none of the 4 was my first choice, all were Plan B selections, due to the lack of avails for the models, colors and price points on the four I was seeking.

I had contacted so many dealers that Specialized CALLED ME . . . but they didn't offer any solution for the bikes I was seeking, they just wanted to ensure the dealers were responding to my inquiries. Their search tool involves a FIND NEAR ME coordinate, and I had entered inquiries in nearly 10 different zip codes to search various markets within a day's drive. I figured it would result in a day to drive up, then overnight, and a day to drive back with 4 bikes. I live near Miami, and I'm accustomed to driving up to 1000 miles to job sites on the east coast and mid-Atlantic . . . so if I could bundle all 4 bikes under one destination, that was my plan.

Anyway, I had to move up on all 4 bikes in model and price, and choose alternate colors, to find 4 available. I've pieced it together now by buying two at LBSs and the other two ordered from Specialized and shipped to one of the LBSs. And I was willing to buy 2 Canyons and go with just 2 Sirrus Xs, but the avail dates of the Canyons keeps moving later and later, and now the earliest avail on the Canyon I was considering shows mid-June. I was tired of the Canyon date moving later and later, so when I located the 4 Sirrus Xs I pulled the trigger, and spent about $1200 more than I'd targeted.
jimmyodonnell is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 02:57 PM
  #12  
jimmyodonnell
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
There's an article in today's New York Times describing the circumstances of the delays in the supply lines for bike priced below $1000 USD.
I cannot share the link here, maybe I do not yet have enough posts to allow it.
jimmyodonnell is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 03:29 PM
  #13  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell View Post
There's an article in today's New York Times describing the circumstances of the delays in the supply lines for bike priced below $1000 USD.
I cannot share the link here, maybe I do not yet have enough posts to allow it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...ronavirus.html
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 04:22 PM
  #14  
walnutz
Senior Member
 
walnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ATX
Posts: 467

Bikes: mtb, road, fixed, touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like not just the virus response, but tariffs are also a factor. Only pointing this out because it's interesting to see how national decisions like that trickle down.
walnutz is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 04:42 PM
  #15  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz View Post
Looks like not just the virus response, but tariffs are also a factor. Only pointing this out because it's interesting to see how national decisions like that trickle down.
Yup, Trump's tariffs are, predictably, making a bad situation worse -- in many markets. And consumers here in the US are paying virtually the entire cost. Tariffs should have never been imposed - they almost always hurt the country that imposes them - but now would be the perfect time to end them.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-20, 04:56 PM
  #16  
wheelsmcgee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Iím setting a reminder on my phone for summer 2021 to check Craigslist for good deals.
wheelsmcgee is online now  
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 05-18-20, 05:40 PM
  #17  
noobinsf 
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,835

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee View Post
Iím setting a reminder on my phone for summer 2021 to check Craigslist for good deals.
Playing the long game... My thoughts exactly...
noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-18-20, 07:08 PM
  #18  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,258

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell View Post
I bought 4 bikes last week after shopping for a couple months. All four are Specialized Sirrus X models . . . but none of the 4 was my first choice, all were Plan B selections, due to the lack of avails for the models, colors and price points on the four I was seeking.

I had contacted so many dealers that Specialized CALLED ME . . . but they didn't offer any solution for the bikes I was seeking, they just wanted to ensure the dealers were responding to my inquiries. Their search tool involves a FIND NEAR ME coordinate, and I had entered inquiries in nearly 10 different zip codes to search various markets within a day's drive. I figured it would result in a day to drive up, then overnight, and a day to drive back with 4 bikes. I live near Miami, and I'm accustomed to driving up to 1000 miles to job sites on the east coast and mid-Atlantic . . . so if I could bundle all 4 bikes under one destination, that was my plan.

Anyway, I had to move up on all 4 bikes in model and price, and choose alternate colors, to find 4 available. I've pieced it together now by buying two at LBSs and the other two ordered from Specialized and shipped to one of the LBSs. And I was willing to buy 2 Canyons and go with just 2 Sirrus Xs, but the avail dates of the Canyons keeps moving later and later, and now the earliest avail on the Canyon I was considering shows mid-June. I was tired of the Canyon date moving later and later, so when I located the 4 Sirrus Xs I pulled the trigger, and spent about $1200 more than I'd targeted.
Why did you buy 4 of the same bike?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:16 PM
  #19  
jimmyodonnell
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Why did you buy 4 of the same bike?
one for myself, and three for my sons
jimmyodonnell is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:25 PM
  #20  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 275 Posts
The bike biz was in horrible condition before this hit, so when demand explodes it's not surprising there are shortages.

Let's not get into politics here please.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:55 PM
  #21  
jimmyodonnell
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The bike biz was in horrible condition before this hit, so when demand explodes it's not surprising there are shortages.

Let's not get into politics here please.
I was clueless of these market forces when the pandemic hit. I just found myself suddenly with no work travel and no commute to office, working only from home I had more time to organize my riding schedule and figured it was a chance to spend more time on the bike. Honestly, I thought "it's a good time to support the local shop", I thought places would be closed and laying off their guys, etc etc . . . I didn't connect the dots on the demand side (more folks grabbing their bike just like I was) or on the supply side (with all the materials coming out of China and Taiwan). I had planned to buy bikes for my kids for the summer anyway, and in the course of evolving from browsing to shopping to buying I started to understand how acute these shortages really are.

So I identified a couple models that interested me, and not being the most patient guy to start with, I started getting a little more active in locating what I wanted. A couple discussions with the local shop enlightened me that a bunch of folks were ahead of me, the store was selling out their inventory and telling me they were unsure when they'd have new supply, etc. As I better understood how severely the supply lines were being impacted and how long it might take to catch up (late summer at best-case??) I decided to increase what I would spend to get the bikes while I still could. On a positive note, my kids now have cooler bikes than any of them deserve as they're not geeky about bikes like I am, and I've increased my road mileage substantially, launched into gravel riding after pondering it for months, and lost 27 pounds (and counting) since mid-March!
jimmyodonnell is offline  
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 05-19-20, 06:07 AM
  #22  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The bike biz was in horrible condition before this hit, so when demand explodes it's not surprising there are shortages.

Let's not get into politics here please.
If you are referring to my post above (#15), that is not about politics; it is simply economic analysis, and is directly relevant to the thread topic. You can look in virtually any introductory economics textbook for the theoretical analysis, and you can start here with the practical application to the tariffs on imports from China.
This is interesting, too.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-19-20 at 06:16 AM.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 07:21 AM
  #23  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 275 Posts
In my estimation as a moderator, the discussion of tarries could become political, which is not allowed in this forum. That's all, no deeper meaning. If I thought your previous posts were over the line they would already have been deleted. Make sense?
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-19-20, 07:31 AM
  #24  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
In my estimation as a moderator, the discussion of tarries could become political, which is not allowed in this forum. That's all, no deeper meaning. If I thought your previous posts were over the line they would already have been deleted. Make sense?
A shot over the bow.

Regarding your comment about the bike biz being in rough shape before the pandemic: yeah, but I'm not sure this is helping much. My fave big-city shop is working hard, fixing people's old bikes and selling sub-$1,000 bikes to people who want them for commuting and a safe outdoor activity. But they are almost sold out, and can't get more anytime soon. So, just as the virus will likely hit us with a "second wave," I wonder if there will be a big slump in the bike industry, once inventory is completely gone.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-19-20 at 07:35 AM.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 08:50 AM
  #25  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,604

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
A shot over the bow.

Regarding your comment about the bike biz being in rough shape before the pandemic: yeah, but I'm not sure this is helping much. My fave big-city shop is working hard, fixing people's old bikes and selling sub-$1,000 bikes to people who want them for commuting and a safe outdoor activity. But they are almost sold out, and can't get more anytime soon. So, just as the virus will likely hit us with a "second wave," I wonder if there will be a big slump in the bike industry, once inventory is completely gone.

It's not just a bike shortage.....

the ports were sitting very empty back in Febuary/March anyone paying attention. You guys are just seeing the bike shortage because It directly effects you (your hobby/passion). Tariffs have nothing to do with a shortage. Tariffs only raised the cost of said bikes.
Metieval is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.