wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,175 Times in 611 Posts
Bicycles are the new toilet paper

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...crave-exercise

'Bicycles are the new toilet paper': bike sales boom as coronavirus lockdown residents crave exercise

Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-18-20, 05:38 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Also: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-bike-u-s.html
Old 05-18-20, 08:03 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17855 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 1,122 Posts
...yeah, I read that Times story this morning. I lived through the early 70's bike boom, so I'm gonna take all this with a grain of salt (which I read on Twitter is a good preventive supplement against Coronavirus). However, and much more interesting to me, is that several major cities, like NY, Seattle, and (if I'm lucky, maybe) my own city are closing off streets to through auto traffic , in order to make social distancing easier for pedestrians and cyclists.

That might pan out well. Part of the problem with the first bike boom is that there was very little effort or money put into cycling infrastructure (relative to continuing highway expansion funding).

If/when a good vaccine or a dependable cure becomes available, the same temptations that put us in cars in the first place will gradually return. I wish I could envision a new cycling fitness craze sweeping the country into a new era, but once the colder, rainy weather hits again, those bikes are going to get parked. They might get services and rolled out again next Spring, or they might not. I could be wrong. I hope I;;m wrong.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-18-20, 08:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
Old 05-18-20, 11:13 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The other day I saw someone spending a good while wiping the handlebars of a Citi bike (NYC) before riding it.
Old 05-19-20, 02:38 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
There are thousands of useable old bicycles in sheds, garages, basements, and attics, that need only new tires and innertubes and possibly fresh grease and brake pads to be ready to ride.

One can easily find something like that from a neighbor, or another family member. You simply get it rideable and you enjoy riding it. Basic bicycles are among the most simple and any idiot can get some vintage style single speed Beach Cruiser with a one-piece crank back on the road in less than 3 hours if you've never attempted any work on a bicycle before. Replacing the Tires and tubes isn't even moderately difficult!!! Removing the One piece crank and servicing the caged bearings of the bottom bracket is incredibly easy, and you only need a large Crescent Wrench, a flathead screwdriver, and 15mm wrench to remove the left pedal, and beyond that you would need whatever tools to remove the chainguard, and wrenches that fit the axle nuts so you can change the tires and tubes. You'll need quality automotive-marine grease from any autoparts store. You'll need about enough gasoline to fill a 12oz coke can.............and you'll need two empty 12 oz Coke or Beer cans which you'll cut in half with scissors......... you will use these to soak each of the two caged crank bearings from the bottom bracket......... The gasoline will clean all of the old grease and grime from the bearings, such that if the bearings are good (undamaged) ....YOU WILL JUST REPACK THEM WITH LOTS OF NEW GREASE and RE-INSTALL THEM IN THE SAME CONFIGURATION AS THEY WERE REMOVED... You'll also need a tiny amount of quality, clean autotive motor oil.......any weight and brand is Okay.........you only need a tiny amount.......not even as much that would will a Ping-Pong ball.................just enough to try to drip oil into each axle of the wheels.-----------------You can also go old-school and use some motor oil on the chain.......................if the chain is heavily gunked with dirt and old oil, I would advise cleaning the chain with gasoline or lighter fluid............this is most dangerous because the gasoline soaked rags will require proper disposal.........failure to attend to this properly.....remember the old song by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown......., Obviously do this at your own risk, outside, away from pets, and away from children, ignition sources or sparks, and wear protective gloves and eye protection while wiping the chain clean while its in place on the bicycle.
Basic bicycles, especially those with the One Piece Ashtabula Cranks are simple enough for anyone.
Remember the old Stephen Stills classic: .....If you can't get the one you'd love, then ride the one you've got.
Then you can sing BIANCHI, you're fine girl, what a good bike you would be....................but until you locate one, ya might have to settle for the dusty, spider web coated Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, Free Spirit or Schwinn and sing '73 Murray from The Salvation Army........................Ride Captain Ride.....
Old 05-19-20, 03:19 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
**** happens, man... ride on brother!
Old 05-19-20, 03:24 AM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 224 Posts
The increase in people riding bicycles is just temporary until things start getting back to normal and people start going back to work and kids start going back to school.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-19-20, 04:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 344 Posts
I agree that the boom in bicycle sales will pass; Americans love their wheelchairs (aka cars & trucks). The upside for me and other enthusiasts is that in 12-18 months there will be some screaming Craigslist deals on lightly used bikes hanging upside down in garages.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-19-20, 07:49 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
The increase in people riding bicycles is just temporary until things start getting back to normal and people start going back to work and kids start going back to school.
I hope that happens in the not so distant future (wishful thinking) because all these "noobs" crowding the paths and trails are what's keeping me from riding outside.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-19-20, 08:08 AM
vol

I suppose part of the reason was people avoiding taking public transportation, not just exercising.
Old 05-19-20, 08:11 AM
fooferdoggie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
give it a few months and if you want a good deal on a newish used bike or e bike they will be there.
but this could cause uses to bike retailers down the road.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-19-20, 08:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 703 Posts
Most of those bikes are already gathering dust in sheds and garages. Because all of the BSOs are gone, leaving only empty shelves behind, brick and mortar bike shops can't keep stock on hand... but the number of bikes out of the streets has risen a few percent?

Meanwhile road traffic has almost returned to pre-lockdown levels, and we're only in "phase 1."
Old 05-19-20, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11227 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,566 Posts
Dropped off my wheels at a LBS today for sealant. There were 3 people waiting outside to pick up serviced bikes. My ex had some work done a couple of weeks ago. She said the place was very busy. And we don't live in a one-LBS town. Happy for them. When I go back I will ask if they are doing sales of bikes.
Old 05-19-20, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm not sure some of the move from public transit to bikes isn't going to be permanent. I think there's a lot of people who aren't going to be anxious to crowd onto a subway or bus any time soon.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-19-20, 01:22 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 418 Posts
Do they come in family packs?

I'm not looking for a new bike, but in last weeks have found it harder to find patches and some components locally. Even online has been more spotty that usual.

Round here I see a lot more families riding together in residential areas and paths. The levels on the roads that goes places are about the same.
Old 05-19-20, 02:18 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
There's definitely a bike boom here (Victoria, BC). But I'm not sure new bike sales are skyrocketing, though I'm sure they are up. But what has become swamped are all the bike shop repair departments as everyone digs out the old bikes from the garage and gets them repaired.

It's about a 5 week wait list to get a bike into a shop now - that's no exaggeration. And certain parts are getting tough to come by. I need to replace a front derailleur (Shimano 105, 11 speed). It's not a job I've ever done, so I called my main LBS and was apologetically told they couldn't get me in for 5 weeks. So I thought, what the heck, I might as well just buy the derailleur and watch some youtube videos and have a go at it myself. If nothing else, I need to become more self-sufficient with my repairs if I've got to wait weeks for an open slot at the bike shop.

That's when I was told that Shimano is backordered on that part and the earliest I could get one would be mid-June. I've tried several sources and I can't find one that I can get delivered any faster than that. Apparently I can use an 11 speed Ultegra in its place, and they can get me that in a few days so I thought, fine, I'll spend the extra money and go for the Ultegra. And hope I don't completely screw this up!
Old 05-19-20, 02:20 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'm not sure some of the move from public transit to bikes isn't going to be permanent. I think there's a lot of people who aren't going to be anxious to crowd onto a subway or bus any time soon.
Yeah that's definitely the case here - I know a few people who either bought bikes or had an old bike repaired because they are NOT comfortable taking the bus and I don't see that changing for quite some time.
Old 05-19-20, 02:52 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

All of my public transport germ phobias have been completely vindicated.
Old 05-19-20, 03:21 PM
ravenix
Enthusiast

Bikes: '97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'd heard that indoor cycling equipment was creating huge sales as well...
Old 05-19-20, 03:31 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 64 Posts
I'm getting antsy to upgrade to a new bike this season and began my search a couple weeks ago (I may never buy a new one, but I like looking) Anyway, everything that I find interesting so far has been a back order item. So another used might be in the future if the stores ever open back up. Or maybe just new parts, if they're not on back order. Lots of parents out riding around the streets with their kids. I love seeing that-getting children interested in biking at an early age is a good thing!
Old 05-19-20, 04:38 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
To some degree what you say I believe will be true. On the other hand we have an obesity epidemic as well as a viral one. Some of those fatties will not be able to maintain cycling as a significant means of travel despite their best intentions. What I do know for certain is that we will not be getting back to normal, a new normal maybe. I know this because it is not a feature of the Universe to illiminate change.
Old 05-19-20, 08:05 PM
vol

It will only take one report of a serious bike accident for many newbies to stop riding...
Likes For vol:
Old 05-19-20, 08:17 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 418 Posts
Soft touch extra absorbent saddles?
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-20-20, 12:52 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 76 Posts

Bike thefts increase by 50 per cent since beginning of lockdown

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bike-thef...145309200.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.