Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please help me identify this vintage Olmo Bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-19-20, 01:10 AM
seftonbarn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have acquired a 70/80s road racer mad by Olmo. This forum won't let me upload a picture ATM (something to do with being a newbie). There is very little in the way of decals remaining, except a clear "Made in Italy" decal. It doesn't have any stamped/etched numbers or markings except for four rather distinct star shaped cut outs in the bottom bracket. I would love to identify the model so that I can try and find some decals and fix it up. Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 05-19-20, 05:03 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 138 Posts
@seftonbarn Welcome to C&V! your are on a great sight with extremely knowledgeable members.
You can click on your ID upper right corner/user control panel. in that window on the left, go to networking/pictures and albums. Upload pictures for us to view.
Old 05-19-20, 05:21 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426 View Post
@seftonbarn Welcome to C&V! your are on a great sight with extremely knowledgeable members.
You can click on your ID upper right corner/user control panel. in that window on the left, go to networking/pictures and albums. Upload pictures for us to view.
Thanks. I followed your instructions and ended up seeing my pictures. But couldn't see an upload option.
Old 05-19-20, 05:26 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It keeps saying "You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts"
Old 05-19-20, 06:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 512 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3249 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 511 Posts
I have never seen an Olmo with 4 star cutouts in the BB shell, though I have seen some with two, They were reportedly mid-1970s Olmo Competition. We're going to require more than this single photo. Ignore the warnings. You can upload photos but they are deposited in your gallery album until you have 10 posts.
Old 05-19-20, 06:32 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 270 Posts
-----

Welcome to the forum

There is an enthusiast created site just for Olmo information residing here -

Olmo Serial Number Dating Registry

-----
Old 05-19-20, 08:20 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
I have never seen an Olmo with 4 star cutouts in the BB shell, though I have seen some with two, They were reportedly mid-1970s Olmo Competition. We're going to require more than this single photo. Ignore the warnings. You can upload photos but they are deposited in your gallery album until you have 10 posts.
I can't appear to add any more pictures the system keeps saying "You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts"
Old 05-19-20, 09:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 4447 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by seftonbarn View Post
I can't appear to add any more pictures the system keeps saying "You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 10 posts"
You'll get there. It's an anti spam measure.
Old 05-19-20, 11:26 AM
T-Mar

Short dropouts plus a CPSC compliant front derailleur suggest 1978+. However, I don't think it's much newer that that based on the exposed brake nuts. Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport, suggests mid-range and this seems consistent with the generic dropouts, lack of embossing, minimal chroming, basic fork crown and finishing of the stay ends and bridges. I'm surprised to see a swaged crankset but it may not be OEM. Does the frame have brazed-on, top tube cable tunnels? What size is the seat post size? More pics...

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-19-20, 02:50 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 220 Posts
I will go out on a limb, here, and suggest that it is a Grand Prix. A couple have come my way, over the years, both early to mid eighties offerings, and one was the same blue color as that of the OP's bike. Sorry, no pictures available.
Old 05-20-20, 06:22 AM
T-Mar

Hopefully, we'll soon hear from Peter_B

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-20-20 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 08:06 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 270 Posts
-----

lug pattern NERVEX Professionnel

advert of October 1977

[offered both with and without reinforcement lip and with and without cutouts]

front mech Campag Nuovo Valentino -

chainset OFMEGA Forgiato -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-30-20, 03:07 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Still none the wiser in terms of what frame it is. So that I can buy decals.
Old 05-30-20, 01:32 PM
T-Mar

The biggest aid in determining the model will be the seat post diameter. That may allow us to determine the tubeset, which may aid in determining the model.
Old 05-30-20, 02:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 455 Posts
Thanks. Still none the wiser in terms of what frame it is. So that I can buy decals.
As noted above, you need to reach out to Peter_B and do a deep dive on his Olmo registry site, you will have to dig and sift but it will be well worth the effort even if you don't solve it, you will be wiser for some of it.
Old 05-30-20, 03:05 PM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
As noted above, you need to reach out to Peter_B and do a deep dive on his Olmo registry site, you will have to dig and sift but it will be well worth the effort even if you don't solve it, you will be wiser for some of it.
Thanks. I have spent a great deal of time on tat site. No joy. There is a mention of 2 star shaped cut outs on the bb but not 4.
Old 05-30-20, 03:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 455 Posts
No worries, should have known but the info is still good to have access to.

Get your post count up to 10 and PM Peter_B for help. he may be indisposed or busy as he usually would have chimed in by now.

2 out of 4 stars ain't nothin.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-31-20, 12:01 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. Many thanks.
Old 06-04-20, 04:32 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest aid in determining the model will be the seat post diameter. That may allow us to determine the tubeset, which may aid in determining the model.
Thanks for the reply. As best as I can determine (using a ruler) the seat post diameter is 26.5mm maybe 27mm.
Old 06-04-20, 05:10 AM
T-Mar

Thanks for the reply. As best as I can determine (using a ruler) the seat post diameter is 26.5mm maybe 27mm.
Typically, the diameter is stamped on the seat post, either a at the top or near the bottom. You will have to remove the post to check the latter.

Alternatively, you can wrap a 1cm x 10cm strip of paper tightly around a clean, unmarred section of the seat post. Using a sharp pencil, mark where it overlaps itself. Remove the paper and measure from the end of the paper strip to the mark. This will provide the circumference which you divide by pi to determine the diameter. Repeat to ensure accuracy. Using this method you should be capable of measuring the circumference accurately to within 0.5mm which will provide a diameter accurate to within 0.16mm, While this method is not as good as a set of calipers, it is far more accurate than trying to measure the diameter directly, using a ruler. By measuring the circumference, as opposed to the diameter, you effectively increase the resolution by a factor of pi.
Old 06-04-20, 07:16 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically, the diameter is stamped on the seat post, either a at the top or near the bottom. You will have to remove the post to check the latter.

Alternatively, you can wrap a 1cm x 10cm strip of paper tightly around a clean, unmarred section of the seat post. Using a sharp pencil, mark where it overlaps itself. Remove the paper and measure from the end of the paper strip to the mark. This will provide the circumference which you divide by pi to determine the diameter. Repeat to ensure accuracy. Using this method you should be capable of measuring the circumference accurately to within 0.5mm which will provide a diameter accurate to within 0.16mm, While this method is not as good as a set of calipers, it is far more accurate than trying to measure the diameter directly, using a ruler. By measuring the circumference, as opposed to the diameter, you effectively increase the resolution by a factor of pi.
Thanks for the tip. I can't see any marking at all on the frame except the 4 stars at the bottom bracket. Using this method it measures 26mm
Old 06-04-20, 07:48 AM
T-Mar

Thanks for the tip. I can't see any marking at all on the frame except the 4 stars at the bottom bracket. Using this method it measures 26mm
Assuming that the post isn't undersized for the seat tube, it's probably actually a 26.2mm post, which was a common size for generic, Italian, lightweight, hi-tensile steels. That, in conjunction with the components, suggests an entry level club racer.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-04-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 07:57 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming that the post isn't undersized for the seat tube, it's probably actually a 26.2mm post, which was a common size for generic, Italian, lightweight, hi-tensile steels. That, in conjunction with the components, suggests an entry level club racer.
Thanks you very much for the information. I am hoping to determine the exact model so that I can purchase the correct decals.
Old 06-05-20, 03:48 PM
Peter_B
Senior Moment

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
T-Mar and others are more knowledgeable than I about Olmos. I'm tracking serial numbered bikes with date-able bicycle parts in order to determine a date from a serial number, and don't know much about specific Olmo models. Anyway what follows is off the top of my head and not deeply studied. Olmos with butted Columbus tubing are the upper models as we know. Does your Olmo have the Columbus spiral ribs on the inside bottom of the steerer tube? The seat post diameter is another criteria for assessing tubing as T-Mar says, and given what you report on that, your Olmo probably doesn't have the Columbus spiral ribs. It would have Falck tubing. I expect that the decals would be the same as the two star Olmo frame in my list [Serial Number 1.100 4, 1975-1976 Olmo Competition, fietsenfrans] without a Columbus tubing decal and not the Competition name on the chainstay. I would guess it is an Olimpic or Gentleman model with a Falck tubing decal.
Likes For Peter_B:
Old 06-17-20, 02:28 AM
seftonbarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks you for your detailed response. There are no spiral ribs on the inside of the steering tube.