Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace PF30 bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replace PF30 bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 06:42 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Replace PF30 bearings?

Does anyone replace PF30 bearings? I see plenty about removing and installing the cups with bearings into the shell, but does anyone actually replace the bearings, or just junk the whole BB? I have a Wheels Manu PF30 BB assy here and it is well made. There is very little surface area on the outer bearing race visible to tap against. I don't think you could do it in the shell, maybe once you remove the cups if you are careful you could punch out the bearings without damaging the cups (unless they are thread-locked in the cups). Pressing in the new bearings shouldn't be an issue if you could get the old ones out.

So what do folks do with these?

scott s.
Old 04-20-15, 08:49 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Enduro Bearings makes tool to press out and replace the bearings of almost all current bottom bracket types and also sells replacement bearings so, yes, it can be done. The tools aren't cheap and neither are their replacement bearings so consider if it's worth it.

Tools | Enduro Bearings
Old 04-20-15, 11:32 PM
Flyingblind9

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since PF30 bearings are directly molded into nylon sleeves that are also pressed directly into the frame, you need to replace the whole thing. You can do this easily at home with the park tool punch and a threaded rod with washers. I used this method to replace my BB30 bearings.
Old 04-21-15, 01:34 AM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually I'll punch the bearings out of the cups. If the bond between cup and bearing is stronger, the whole thing comes out and gets replaced. If the bearing comes out of the cup, I put new bearings into the cups. It's the same price for the consumer and less waste. I prefer to replace the bearings as I can then use an Enduro 61806 bearing, which is an upgrade from the general FSA/TH white-seal bearing that seems to come in every cheap BB/PF30.

- Joel
Old 04-21-15, 01:13 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Originally Posted by HillRider
Enduro Bearings makes tool to press out and replace the bearings of almost all current bottom bracket types and also sells replacement bearings so, yes, it can be done. The tools aren't cheap and neither are their replacement bearings so consider if it's worth it.

Tools | Enduro Bearings
Thanks. Their BRT-002 tool seems to work by actually expanding a collet in the inner race and then forcing the bearing out that way. $150 though to remove bearings from a $50 PF30 BB is a little steep for the home user.

scott s.
Old 04-21-15, 01:26 PM
scott967

Originally Posted by Flyingblind9
Since PF30 bearings are directly molded into nylon sleeves that are also pressed directly into the frame, you need to replace the whole thing. You can do this easily at home with the park tool punch and a threaded rod with washers. I used this method to replace my BB30 bearings.
I have the Park tool and that is all I need for the BB with a threaded rod (though I guess acme thread would be best). But the Park tool seems to only work on the cup for removal. This WM BB I have has very nice alloy cups with o-rings where it engages the shell and also the interface between the two sides. So when I install this I would kind of like to make it a "forever" job and only renew the bearings if needed later.

I got started on this because I didn't like the feel of cranks spinning and pulled the seals off the bearings in the OEM SRAM PF30. The drive side bearing didn't look that good. I tried to clean it up and force some grease in there the best I could while in the bike, but it doesn't seem like the most effective means (in the past I have only had old-style square taper BB with balls in carrier that's easy to service).

scott s.
Old 04-21-15, 02:18 PM
Earl Grey

Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross Comp, '12 Brompton S-Type, '14 All City Mr Pink

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooh, that BRT-002 is pretty. I didn't know such a thing existed.

I have Campy PowerTorque cups in a PF30 shell. Campy want you to replace the entire cup / bearing assembly. Wary of reports of creaking / backing out, I enthusiastically Loctite 609'ed the cups before pressing them in, and I've been wondering how replacement would go when the day comes. Might be a solution (albeit an $150 one).
Old 04-21-15, 03:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
$150 though to remove bearings from a $50 PF30 BB is a little steep for the home user.
I warned you they were expensive.