Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why did they use caged bearings?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 08:10 PM
Swift Joe

Bikes: 2010 Giant Yukon FX 4. 1987 Centurion Accordo. 198? Nishiki Modulus.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, first post. I just got an old Nishiki Modulus with a rough BB and I'm working to bring it back to life. In my research about servicing the BB, I have seen several internet folks suggesting to toss the bearing cages. I'm interested in the idea, and I can see from an engineering standpoint how cageless might be beneficial. But it's left me wondering.. If caged bearings are so undesirable, why did the manufactures install them in the first place?

I'm usually one to trust the manufacturer, so I wanted to get a little insight on this before I make a final decision.
Old 04-08-16, 08:19 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
using the retainers allows for a quicker installation.

removing the retainers allows you to use two additional balls on each side, spreading the load even more.

many people remove the retainers, either to spread the load or to continue to use a slightly damaged bb cup that has become indexed with use.

if it's a keeper, i remove the retainers and add four balls.

if it's a flip, i use the retainers, because it's so much easier to rebuild. and i save four bearings.
Old 04-08-16, 08:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
'cause the free range bearings kept rolling under the car.
Old 04-08-16, 08:23 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
The advantage to caged bearings is that they are easier, simpler, and faster to work with than loose ones. The difference in efficiency and bearing wear lost by using caged bearings is very slight, so for most riders and applications there's nothing noticeably lost by using them in place of loose bearings.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Old 04-08-16, 08:26 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Which is lighter?
Old 04-08-16, 08:31 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Your Funny.
Old 04-08-16, 08:39 PM
Swift Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're all great, thank you. My inclination was what some of you said- I'm sure it was faster manufacturing to toss in caged bearings vs having them loose. I'll order some new bearings and give the free-range arrangement a try.
Old 04-08-16, 08:40 PM
Swift Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OldsCool, whichever it is, it must be negligible. Or is that the point of your retort?

Last edited by Swift Joe; 04-08-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 08:41 PM
Swift Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eschlwc, definitely a keeper. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Swift Joe; 04-08-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 08:42 PM
Swift Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RobbieTunes, I'll order some extra to compensate for the ones that get away; same as the free range chicken farmers do I believe.

Last edited by Swift Joe; 04-08-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 09:13 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
I overhauled a customers old Fuji Absolute today. The BB came out in a slurry of rust, water, and dead grease. Loose balls. When I got to the headset I prayed that they had used caged bearings. Thankfully, they had.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-08-16, 09:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The better quality BB caged bearings has 11 to a side.
Old 04-08-16, 09:51 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As one that currently works in the auto industry, I'll side with those that said because of ease of manufacturing.

If people really understood what gets done to save something as simple as a couple seconds on the assembly line, they'd be shocked.
Old 04-09-16, 04:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
+1. Caged bearings are a massive time (and profit) saver. The slight increase in cost of a caged bearing is more than offset by the savings in reduced labour cost. Another, often overlooked factor is the savings in consumables, specifically grease. Loose bearings require a uniform, relatively thick coating in order to adequately hold the bearings in place for assembly. Caged bearings can be assembled without any grease and most manufacturers use barely adequate amounts, as I'm sure many of you have found out. With typical mass volume manufacturers exceeding hundreds of thousands of units per year, the cost savings are substantial.
Old 04-09-16, 05:21 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
"All-natural, organic, Martian-raised bearings. You don't hear that everyday." - Mark Watney
Old 04-09-16, 05:51 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I remember once, when I was new here, asking about caged bearings. Everyone said to get rid of them and replace with loose balls. Then I mentioned they were original Campagnolo Record caged bearings. And more than one person said...oh, in that case, use them. What I garnered from that is that not all caged bearings are created equal. I tend to still use caged bearings on my Record-equipped bikes.
Old 04-09-16, 05:52 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Bearing retainers were used to reduce bike assembly time. It's a lot easier and faster to install headsets and BBs using caged bearings.

Many bike makers used bearing cages with low bearing counts which had to have saved massive amounts of money!!!

Some Campy BB cages have 11 1/4" ball bearings instead of the standard 9 balls used in most cages! I've used them occasionally myself.

There's a very small surface contact area between the balls and the bearing tracks in BB cups and spindles. 11 balls distribute the forces much better than 9 so you can expect longer bearing life.

Bottom bracket bearings rotate and so the balls are always changing contact points. There's not much downside to using cages with 11 balls except for the unknown quality of the ball bearings used in many cages.

Headset are a different story. They're thrust bearings and distribute only a very small amount of rotational force. When riding at normal speeds the front wheel only rotates a few degrees side to side.

The two primary forces that headsets encounter are 1. vertical impact and vibration from the front wheel and... 2. front to back rocking or flexing action of the lower part of the steerer which causes elongated or oval shaped wear and indentations in the bottom cup and fork crown race.

The misused, misunderstood terms - brinnelling, false brinnelling, fretting, indexing, spalling and so on are just guesses without lab testing of the failed bearing surfaces. I use the term "indentations" to describe regularly spaced damage to the ball tracks in headsets.

Headsets need a slight amount of pre-load. Bearings that are too tight will cause micro chipping resulting in indentations. Headsets that are too loose cause indentations from repeated impacts, especially in low priced headsets that are not through hardened steel.

BTW, I've rarely seen indentations in upper headset races.

Since there is very little rotation in headsets, cages tend to keep the balls in the same area all of the time, increasing the chance of wear and indentations, especially ones with low ball bearing count.

Quality Grade 25 Chrome Steel balls are cheap - if you shop around. I always use a full compliment balls when I assemble a headset. They distribute the forces better.

I use lots of heavy, viscous grease to keep the balls in place during assembly. It helps keep dust, dirt and water out too.

Needle or tapered roller bearings are a better solution for headsets. The old Stronglight A9 and B10 headsets with needle bearings are bullet proof!

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
BearingContactAngle.gif (3.1 KB, 15 views)

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-09-16 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-09-16, 06:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Bearing retainers were used to reduce bike assembly time. It's a lot easier and faster to install headsets and BBs using caged bearings.

Many bike makers used bearing cages with low bearing counts which had to have saved massive amounts of money!!!

Some Campy BB cages have 11 1/4" ball bearings instead of the standard 9 balls used in most cages! I've used them occasionally myself.

snip . . .

Quality Grade 25 Chrome Steel balls are cheap - if you shop around. I always use a full compliment balls when I assemble a headset. They distribute the forces better.

I use lots of heavy, viscous grease to keep the balls in place during assembly. It helps keep dust, dirt and water out too.

Needle or tapered roller bearings are a better solution for headsets. The old Stronglight A9 and B10 headsets with needle bearings are bullet proof!

verktyg

Chas.
Stronglight A9 headsets were great.

Suntour also had cages with 11 on a side. I use cages with 11 on a side on the fixed cup and loose ball bearings on the adjustable cup. Speeds things up a bit.
Old 04-09-16, 07:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
using the retainers allows for a quicker installation.
True enough.

removing the retainers allows you to use two additional balls on each side, spreading the load even more.
Not necessarily:

Old 04-09-16, 07:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift Joe
OldsCool, whichever it is, it must be negligible. Or is that the point of your retort?
To be fair, there are people who actually believe that cutting tags off clothing and removing "extra" stitching makes a difference.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-09-16, 09:40 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
...along with cartridge bearings, 2-piece hollow-bb cranks, single-chainring drivetrains and other "performance improvements".

SP
OC, OR
Old 04-09-16, 11:26 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Caged bearings are still pretty handy in bottom brackets for the owner. We usually repack wheel bearings while the wheel is off the bike and lying horizontal where we can drop the bearings into our doughnut of grease where they'll stay put until we get the cone in place. Headset bearings are also horizontal and easier to access.

Bottom brackets are often oriented on their side while the bike is in an upright position. You also have to access the fixed cup through the bottom bracket shell to apply grease and place ball bearings. It's easier to fill the caged balls up with a lot of grease before passing it over to the fixed side versus placing all the balls individually.

In my experience bottom brackets don't wear out if they're kept adjusted and maintained. Water intrusion and loose alignment are the greatest enemy.
Old 04-09-16, 01:31 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not necessarily
yeah, i've never come across an 11-bearing retainer in 1/4" size.
Old 04-09-16, 01:43 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 914 Posts
Fat fingers ----> Caged bearings
Old 04-09-16, 02:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
i've never come across an 11-bearing retainer in 1/4" size.
Campagnolo has used them for decades, and you can get generic ones as well, e.g.:

Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.