Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB sleeve and bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB sleeve and bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 07:17 PM
apg

Bikes: '85 Pinarello track, '74 Peugeot PR-10 L, '73 Motobecane Mirage (RIP 2014), '81 Raleigh Roadster (RIP 2013), '88 Peugeot Santé Fixed (RIP 2014)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB sleeve and bearings?

Hi all,
I think I bought a BB Campy NR that is slightly pitted? It's got even wear around both cups. Seems okay to use. I'll check at LBS.
I'm wondering if I should use the plastic sleeve though? Does it help or hinder?
Secondly, I bought good new bearings. The ones I have are in a cartridge, but I hear loose is better - thoughts?
Attached a photo.
Thanks!
Ash

Ash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (97.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-13-14, 07:26 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Loose ball bearings and cartridge bearings are not interchangeable. If you mean caged bearings then there can be a performance/longevity disadvantage compared to loose ball bearings. Caged balls are very slightly easier to deal with in BB's.

(I now see the caged balls in the picture. Cartridge bearings are a different animal altogether.)
Old 03-13-14, 07:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
There's absolutely no reason not to use caged balls is a BB (make sure to install them correctly- the bulk of the cage nestles into the cup (toward the outside of the bike). There's no loss of performance of any kind.

As for the sleeve. If the BB shell is closed, it serves little purpose, and can trap water between itself and the shell. OTOH sleeves came into common use when cutout BB shells came into vogue. For those they were absolutely necessary to keep crap out of the bearings.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-13-14, 09:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Caged versus loose balls is kinda like which chain lube is best. I'm good with either in BB's but prefer caged headset bearings for ease of use.
Old 03-14-14, 12:33 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
for oldschool BB bearings i like caged best. i've managed to lose too many bearings down the seat tube and up the down tube, only to become permanently, i thought, lodged in the frame somewhere.

i'm usually wrong about that, after a while, long enough to forget that they were in there somewhere, the grease dries up, they come loose and rattle around in the frame like those in a cheap can of spray paint, until i disassemble the BB yet again and shake the devil out of the frame to free them. but i've forsaken even caged for cartridge BB's. what a godsend...

i'm looking forward to one day buying one of the more modern BB arrangements where the spindle is part of the drive-side crank arm, is hollow, and a lot wider.
Old 03-14-14, 12:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
press out the old balls and fit new ones in the retainer if you wish ,

just notice if the balls are as close together
as they may be if the retainer was not there some take up the room another bearing would fit.

if the balls were just stuck in the bearing grease.

some are like that ... load bearing, more the merrier..
Old 03-14-14, 08:36 AM
apg

Bikes: '85 Pinarello track, '74 Peugeot PR-10 L, '73 Motobecane Mirage (RIP 2014), '81 Raleigh Roadster (RIP 2013), '88 Peugeot Santé Fixed (RIP 2014)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice, thank you people!
Old 03-14-14, 09:48 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The sleeve isn't a Campy NR one but a more recent (i assume) Asian (Sugino?) design. Not that it matters, actually the Campy two piece sleeves tended to crack, not fit the cups well and generally be a PITA. Maybe this is why the sleeve isn't the Campy one... Caged (retainered) BB bearings come in different ball counts. Some have as few as 7 balls each, some 9 and, what i consider to be the best, some have 11 balls. If the 11 ball count retainer is used then only assembly ease and the space for grease are different from loose balls. Andy.