Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano deals from UK almost gone!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 04:39 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts

Wiggle just announced same as Chain Reaction, would expect Merlin to follow although not yet.
Old 12-22-18, 05:58 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I hope Campy does not follow suit or they will disappear from the US completely.
Old 12-22-18, 07:40 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Was a justification given for the change?
Old 12-22-18, 07:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-shimano.html
Old 12-22-18, 09:17 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Screw em, they can just price themselves out of the market for me then. Plenty of used parts around to keep my vintage stuff going.

I mean let's be real, U.S. prices for new bike parts are insane. The stuff ain't made out of gold.
Old 12-22-18, 09:26 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Fortunately, donor bikes continue to drop in price!
Old 12-22-18, 11:44 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I hope Campy does not follow suit or they will disappear from the US completely.
Likely true.

They wanted a "niche" market and they were successful in Europe with that model.

They were late to the game with discs and electronics.

They never gave a sustained hoot about off-road and that didn't help matters.

The new market is flat as a pancake and the only bikes selling in real numbers are gravel and mtb models.

That and relatively inexpensive Chinese/Taiwanese produced city bikes.

Club racing, along with juniors is dominated with Shimano and SRAM atm.

Yes, this would really dig them into a deeper whole.
Old 12-22-18, 11:48 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Fortunately, donor bikes continue to drop in price!
True.

I just picked up another MB-1 in northern Wisconsin for a pittance.

It's mostly stock, so I'll likely just freshen it up with consumables, pedals and a saddle for very little money.

Heck, it still had nubs on the tires.
Old 12-25-18, 10:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Sort of an excuse, sort of not. Brexit plays a role, but no one is talking about the weaker pound.

As a consumer, I'm after the best price for the best stuff. Period.

How manufacturers and internet sellers and brick and mortar shops position themselves to sell to me is simply not what I look at or concern myself with.

If something costs too much, I don't buy it. I don't need a bike to put a roof over my head, put food on the table, etc, so it's discretionary spending, and price affects that.

I'm sorry if Merlin is/was selling R8000 groups for $600, and that was not fair to shops. My guess, from looking at pricing locally, is that shops could easily buy the same group for $600 from Merlin if they wanted to, and likely re-sell it for a 25% markup.

I mean, I bought an RD for a custom build, from Performance, for $190. It was shipped directly from Shimano. Before I even had the bike built, I see it for $135 at Merlin (DA9000). Compare that to an R8000 group for $600, and if I'd known, I'd have likely bought the R8000 group instead of piecemealing DA9000 for a good chunk more.

No one I know is looking for a real bargain at a bike shop. If shops/Shimano/etc think the public is fine with spending a bunch more, that's a gamble I'm not sure they should make. I don't make the rules. It's not up to me to pull hundreds of shops out of the red. Almost all the bikes in Performance shops run on Shimano. You raise the price of those bikes more, and they can kiss recovery goodbye, too.

Maybe that's why 3 of my last 5 bike buys were complete. Someone else's headache. Would be interesting to see how Shimano's fishing stuff changes, if at all.
Old 12-25-18, 10:43 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
This new policy is unfortunate however, it doesn't really effect me. I don't think that I have ever bought any new major components. The only things that I have purchased new is bar tape, tires, brake/shift cables/housing, chains and brake pads. All my bikes are vintage (except my plastic Look 585) so I have built them up with vintage parts.

Last edited by rjhammett; 12-26-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 07:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sort of an excuse, sort of not. Brexit plays a role, but no one is talking about the weaker pound.

As a consumer, I'm after the best price for the best stuff. Period.

How manufacturers and internet sellers and brick and mortar shops position themselves to sell to me is simply not what I look at or concern myself with.

If something costs too much, I don't buy it. I don't need a bike to put a roof over my head, put food on the table, etc, so it's discretionary spending, and price affects that.

I'm sorry if Merlin is/was selling R8000 groups for $600, and that was not fair to shops. My guess, from looking at pricing locally, is that shops could easily buy the same group for $600 from Merlin if they wanted to, and likely re-sell it for a 25% markup.

I mean, I bought an RD for a custom build, from Performance, for $190. It was shipped directly from Shimano. Before I even had the bike built, I see it for $135 at Merlin (DA9000). Compare that to an R8000 group for $600, and if I'd known, I'd have likely bought the R8000 group instead of piecemealing DA9000 for a good chunk more.

No one I know is looking for a real bargain at a bike shop. If shops/Shimano/etc think the public is fine with spending a bunch more, that's a gamble I'm not sure they should make. I don't make the rules. It's not up to me to pull hundreds of shops out of the red. Almost all the bikes in Performance shops run on Shimano. You raise the price of those bikes more, and they can kiss recovery goodbye, too.

Maybe that's why 3 of my last 5 bike buys were complete. Someone else's headache. Would be interesting to see how Shimano's fishing stuff changes, if at all.
Yep, this is pretty much how I think too. I already spend to much on bikes so I'm always after the best price. I have a local shop that supports me when needed and never seem put off when I bring in new gear bought from overseas. They love seeing my old classics and working on them. As my inability to concentrate continues to deteriorate from too many head injuries I made need the local guys more. So I usually have them do about 1/3 of the stuff I would normally do myself cause I want them to stay in business. I just can't afford to buy any major parts from them. Not their fault, just how the market works.
Old 12-26-18, 11:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Many here work on their own bikes, so they arent affected. Also, many here ride older tech, so they arent affected.

shops stateside havent been able to even buy the products at the same price overseas retailers sell to the customer for. That places shops at a huge disadvantage and Shimano hasnt cared up to now.

SRAM did this a few years ago and Shimano is finally following suit...though who knows if itll be fully enforced.

What really needs to happen is Shimano USA ensures components are priced domestically the way theybare priced overseas.
instead of keeping the prices high and cutting off access to lower priced goods, price the local goods similar to the overseas goods.
...but that won't happen because- business.

anyways- shops are closing, everyone has heard it for years, and not supporting shops only speeds the process along. Again, many here may not care because they do their own wrenching and see shops as less knowledgeable than themselves. Cool.

but less shops will, in my view, negatively affect cycling as a whole. Many(most?) Cyclists dont wrench. They don't build 30 and 40 year old bikes. And they rely on shops.

but really- the biggest issue to me is gray market products, of which I have purchased a lot.
this is components that are OEM, but still new and not in retail packaging. The retailer gets it for a massive discount and sells it direct to consumer even though that isnt supposed to happen per sales agreements.
its the products that say 'new, but not in retail packaging'.

domestic shops are hardly making bank and their prices arent aending anyone to early retirement. Its a broken model that forces shops to price high due to too much price increases further upstream.
Old 12-27-18, 08:39 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's a broken model that forces shops to price high due to too much price increases further upstream.
Most Definitely

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-27-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 01:03 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
It’s that grey area that got me a new 2002 XT Deore front derailleur(7.99$) for my CX bike.