Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Compass tires are no more. Now called Rene Herse tires. How did I miss this earlier?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Compass tires are no more. Now called Rene Herse tires. How did I miss this earlier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 04:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I have not kept up on things, Is Mark Nobilette still making Rene Herse follow on bicycles?
Old 01-03-19, 11:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Gugificazione is a brand? I thought it was a lifestyle.
maybe it should also be a nice IPA also

Old 01-04-19, 12:50 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
So my Italian built Torpado / Italvega bike’s will use French named René Herse, formerly PNW named Compass tires that are made in Japan? Works for me although I’m probably not going to mount fenders anytime soon.

My two Toyota Sienna minivans ride on Yokohama Tires by my choice that were made in the USA and Philippines while my Porsche Boxster S runs exclusively on French made Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Old 01-04-19, 12:56 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

now if this is what the prototype sidewall is going to look like, I really like it. Subtle yet stands out in the right light. For those of you who customize, matching or contrasting colors to your bike could be added within the outlines or on top of the outlines to really make them pop.

Old 01-04-19, 01:07 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I wonder if Jan will re-brand the tire savers I make for him as Rene Herse Tire Wipers?
He's bought so many from me in the last few years...
That came to pass, huh? Good deal

DD
Old 01-04-19, 03:35 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
???

I just picked up a set, actually two sets (700c x 23 and 700c x 38), here in Jamaica. Cost - $28.00 US per set. The 23s did not fit the Ambrosia rims but the 38s slipped on with ease. As for performance - they are harder to push but very smooth, compared to the original 32s that self destructed...
Those are NOT Jan's tires.
Old 01-04-19, 03:36 PM
palincss

Originally Posted by repechage
I have not kept up on things, Is Mark Nobilette still making Rene Herse follow on bicycles?
No, Mike Kone's license expired last year in the spring sometime.
Old 01-04-19, 03:50 PM
palincss

Sure, and he's not shy about saying so. That's a small step in my mind.

I probably have a stronger reaction because René Herse is the name in question. If Fausto Pinarello wanted to hand the Pinarello brand over to someone else, I wouldn't have a big problem with that because I recognize Pinarello as a bicycle brand and don't really identify it with the founder, the story about Giovanni Pinarello and the Maglia Nera not withstanding. René Herse, on the other hand, is known primarily as a constructeur, and of course Jan has played no small role in promoting this image of him. He made his name by customizing and fine tuning bikes for a specific purpose. The whole point of this, in my mind, rests on him as an individual. So what's the point of someone else using his name as a brand?
Except that Rene Herse wasn't a lone individual working alone, making all his own frames by hand.* Most of the Rene Herse frames were built by others, and Rene himself didn't forge the Herse cranks and brakes.
Sure, Jan probably sees himself as continuing in this tradition. He does fine tune the designs of things and pays great attention to the details. But that makes the things he sells Jan Heine parts, not René Herse parts, right?
The Rene Herse cranks and brakes you can buy today from Jan's company are the Rene Herse designs, updated the way they would have been had the founder not passed away.

Obviously he has the right to use this name. I'm not disputing that. He can do so if he thinks it's a good idea. I'm just trying to offer some explanation as to why I don't think it's a good choice. On the other hand, Jan has more insight into his business than I do. He's probably right.
I think he's carrying on the name the way Lyli Herse and her husband Jean Desbois, Rene Herse's Herse’s master framebuilder would have wanted.

Old 01-04-19, 05:34 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Crevasion sounds so much more sophisticated than flat.
Old 01-04-19, 07:42 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Originally Posted by palincss
I'm pretty sure you could get him to make you a beautiful frame with the "Nobilette" name on it, something I'd love to do when my finances recover from my impending custom frame purchase. From what I've seen of his work Mr. Nobilette could probably build almost any style of frame. The man is incredibly skilled!
Brent
Old 01-04-19, 08:10 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I wonder if Jan will re-brand the tire savers I make for him as Rene Herse Tire Wipers?
He's bought so many from me in the last few years that I suppose he can call them whatever he likes.

I did think it was unfortunate that Mike Kone, or whoever it was, branded newly made frames with the Herse name,
complete with the original style graphics.
If you are the person making the tire savers, I for one have to give you well deserved thanks. I used the original French ones I bought in the 1970s for years until the one wire was airfoil shaped by wear. I even made my own when I forgot to remove the originals when I sold the bike. I have the Compass ones on my current bike. Some folks say they do not work, but I never had a puncture with them on. Keep them coming. Plus they create conversations on rides.
Old 01-04-19, 08:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Gugificazione is a brand? I thought it was a lifestyle.
I like it.
There's more monetization in a lifestyle.
Old 01-05-19, 09:10 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That came to pass, huh? Good deal

DD
Yeah man. I thought for sure it would be a flash-in-the-pan thing. You know, once the very few who wanted them got them,
demand would dry up. But lo and behold, Jan keeps ordering them. I'll bet he's ordered at least 500 pairs in the last few years.
It's great, and I'm still amazed.
Old 01-05-19, 09:14 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
If you are the person making the tire savers, I for one have to give you well deserved thanks. I used the original French ones I bought in the 1970s for years until the one wire was airfoil shaped by wear. I even made my own when I forgot to remove the originals when I sold the bike. I have the Compass ones on my current bike. Some folks say they do not work, but I never had a puncture with them on. Keep them coming. Plus they create conversations on rides.
Thanks Bill. I too used the ones in the 70's, but then when I re-kindled my interest in cycling. I couldn't find them anymore.
So I decided to try to make my own. Jan was nice enough to test a set. Came back with the feedback that the brass I used
on both the upper section and the lower, rub strip, wore out quickly as a rub strip. Made sense. So I switched the lower portion
to stainless steel, when I finally found some I could bend by hand with pliers.

As for conversation starters, that's fun. "What the heck are those gizmos?"
Old 01-06-19, 10:04 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
Thanks, that helps explain his biz evolution.
I felt that Mark did a good job with the New bikes. They looked the part very much.