Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I test ride this bike? Sorry no it has no pedals.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can I test ride this bike? Sorry no it has no pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 01:48 PM
ShoreCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
lol...those are good points. And where I work I see all the same. I have to stop myself from judging all the time now that I reflect on it. I find myself thinking "hmmm didn't that guy make well over six figures, maybe even seven last year why doesn't he dress better" or "Isn't she a receptionist, how does she afford those expensive bags and that Mercedes"
One of my best friends wears nothing but grease-stained jeans and crumby polo's with his company logo on it - and - a $50k watch. He's probably worth $15M, but he at first glance you'd think he was a plumber with a stolen Rolex.

And the answer to how the receptionist can afford the Merc and the Prada... She can't.
Old 08-13-13, 01:52 PM
ShoreCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonub
At the time I bought my mid-priced bike, I would have been exactly who you seem to be referring to in that post. I didn't know much of anything, had only been riding any bikes for about a month, and had decided I wanted a road or TT bike. I didn't know what I needed, I didn't have pedals or shoes, and I certainly wasn't skilled. Instead of being spectacular dicks and treating me like a kid that wanted to play around with something I can't afford, I had a great salesperson that helped me find something that I really enjoy.
Again... We don't know what actually transpired to make a Felt dealer send the OP packing. I'm glad to hear you get along with your LBS!
Old 08-13-13, 02:08 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShoreCyclist
You are correct, Sir. Coincidence his name is whitemax?
"Obviously you are not a golfer" - The Dude, Big Lebowski
Old 08-13-13, 02:11 PM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Ask them if they would be kind enough to push you around the car park while you sit on it?
LOL!

Yeah but really, steer clear of this one.

I understand that you might have taken your own pedals and shoes with you. But even then, when they get the idea you are a "serious" customer rather than someone just looking around, it strikes me as odd that you could not at least try it. Maybe it is different in each country, but overhere, where cycling is tremendously popular and these shops have plenty of customers, people who ask to test a bike generally get a chance to. One of the large webshops I sometimes order from even have an indoor track you can use when you go over there to pick a bike.

A lot of people are suddenly like "oh a test ride is not necessary", but to me, it sometimes is. For example, if I were to buy any Trek I would not need one. I am very familiar with their frame geometry and how it works out for my particular anatomy. However, I was recently checking out a Koga Miyata and I really had no way of telling how the fit would be compared to my other bikes. I have to at least sit on it and get a feel for it to have some sense of how it fits. I think this is entirely justified, both for new cyclist who are not sure what to get, and for more experienced cyclists who are buying a more expensive bike and want some reassurance before pulling the trigger. For example, for that Koga I felt like I learned a lot about how the bike would feel after just trying it out even for a short while. I really believe I could make a more informed decision afterwards.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 08-13-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 02:14 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Given that I haven't gone to a bike store and purchased a complete bike since the mid eighties, perhaps I'm not the best person to respond to this. I've gotta say, I'm not sure I understand the concept of a test ride. The most important aspect of a bike, the fit, can be assessed without a test ride. Other aspects such as handling, harshness, out of the saddle feel etc are both highly subjective and hard to assess without a long ride. A short test ride isn't going to help much.

I understand a test ride for someone new to cycling who's trying to learn the functionality of the bike, but not for anyone more experienced.
Old 08-13-13, 02:18 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I understand a test ride for someone new to cycling who's trying to learn the functionality of the bike, but not for anyone more experienced.
I have 40,000+ miles on bikes but I've never tried Campy, SRAM, or Di2 shifters. I've also never used aerobars, time-trial bar end shifters, or aerobar brake levers, or ridden a set of aero wheels. I'll be going over to my LBS to try any one of those items when the time comes.
Old 08-13-13, 02:24 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShoreCyclist
You are correct, Sir. Coincidence his name is whitemax?
Oh for chrissakes, he was Korean ok? I drive a white Maxima.

Last edited by whitemax; 08-13-13 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 02:27 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I have 40,000+ miles on bikes but I've never tried Campy, SRAM, or Di2 shifters. I've also never used aerobars, time-trial bar end shifters, or aerobar brake levers, or ridden a set of aero wheels. I'll be going over to my LBS to try any one of those items when the time comes.
This is exactly the point I'm making: if you need to learn functionality I understand a test ride, if you're trying to assess if you "like" a bike, a test ride is going to be a bit pointless.
Old 08-13-13, 02:33 PM
Brandonub

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo R3 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other aspects such as handling, harshness, out of the saddle feel etc are both highly subjective and hard to assess without a long ride. A short test ride isn't going to help much.
This seems like an odd perspective. Differences between bikes being subjective is a reason to not want to test ride them? I don't get it.
Old 08-13-13, 03:02 PM
verist

Bikes: Orbea Orca BRV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you mention a Felt dealer, I went into a LBS a few weeks ago inquiring about a Z5, they said they would bring one over from their sister store for me to take a look at. I provided contact information and even followed up once, never heard back from them. I'm sure they get a few joy riders, but I visited the shop on two occasions and was not looking to ride the first time, and retained the business card of the associate who helped me the first time. Got real good service and nice discount on a Orbea somewhere else. (I posted a thread about).
Old 08-13-13, 03:09 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
why not have him bring his Garmin to show how many miles he has logged so we know he is really and "experienced cyclist"
Because the customer might borrow a friend or neighbor's Garmin. We require proof that can be substantiated.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-13-13, 03:14 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
"Obviously you are not a golfer" - The Dude, Big Lebowski
totally off topic, but I just ordered the Blu Ray this morning.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-13-13, 03:14 PM
hockeyref

Bikes: 1995 Canondale 2.8 frame (R800) with a mix of same era Shimano and Campy parts

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Any decent salesperson in any industry makes judgements on their customers every day and prioritizes their time and effort to maximize sales and profits. No one wants to waste their time with tire kickers who don't intend to buy.
I'm one of those guys that might walk in wearing flip flops, grungy shorts, a t-shirt with holes and badly needing a shave ... When I am not working I really don't feel like looking presentable unless I really need to. (It's gonna be really interesting when I get old and truly don't give a **** what anyone thinks!) But, I will probably have enough cash in my pocket to walk out with what I want. A lot will depend on how the conversation goes... But then, If I'm actually looking to take a test ride, there's a really good chance that the bike leaves with me if it speaks to me. And that will only happen (for me) by riding her...If I get blown off by the sales staff then I might just ask for the manager to show him the wad of cash he won't be getting today.... I've also been known to leave a $20 tip for a $2 coffee if the waitress was friendly and kept my coffee filled..... I know that I CAN order pretty much anything I want online and I CAN do the work myself... What I am paying the premium for in a shop is for the face time and the service.... Be professional and somewhat friendly and that goes a long ways....
Old 08-13-13, 03:38 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitemax
I understand what you are saying but you obviously don't have a clue what the phrase means. Perhaps someone else will explain it to you; no need to roll eyes.
The fact that you say I don't have a clue what the phrase means, shows that you know little to nothing about my decades of experience working in the industry.
Old 08-13-13, 06:13 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, lookit this thread.

The complete story as I can recall it: I rode my bike to the shop and walked in to the store wearing Bonty MTB shoes, bibs and a PI jersey. I also had my helmet on (okay so that was a $20 Bell). There were no other customers. I asked my question in a polite manner got the response I posted plus this: "Our demo bikes are out right now" or something to that effect (they rent them out). None of the rentals was a B16. I know because they promoted said rentals on their FB page. Anyway, without saying anything else, I thanked them and left.

LOL, was I being whiney? I didn't say anything to bad mouth them did I?

Didn't finalize on the Trek with the other LBS. I initially overlooked the fact that I will be dropping almost $2.5K for a bike with SRAM Apex parts. Looks like I'll have to go to San Diego to hit the bigger tri shops and throw my legs over some Roos, Felts or Giants.
Old 08-13-13, 06:49 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
The fact that you say I don't have a clue what the phrase means, shows that you know little to nothing about my decades of experience working in the industry.
Correct, I know zero about your decades of experience working in the industry but you do seem to have no understanding of the phrase as evidenced by what you wrote.
Old 08-13-13, 06:51 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Being prejudicial will deny salespeople sales to those who are all cashed up but don't look so. I mean a Swiss salesgal didn't think Oprah could afford a purse.
Old 08-13-13, 06:52 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That said, I still think that test rides are a huge waste of time for most. (test drives too)
Old 08-13-13, 06:55 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Wow, lookit this thread.

The complete story as I can recall it: I rode my bike to the shop and walked in to the store wearing Bonty MTB shoes, bibs and a PI jersey. I also had my helmet on (okay so that was a $20 Bell). There were no other customers. I asked my question in a polite manner got the response I posted plus this: "Our demo bikes are out right now" or something to that effect (they rent them out). None of the rentals was a B16. I know because they promoted said rentals on their FB page. Anyway, without saying anything else, I thanked them and left.

Didn't finalize on the Trek with the other LBS. I initially overlooked the fact that I will be dropping almost $2.5K for a bike with SRAM Apex parts. Looks like I'll have to go to San Diego to hit the bigger tri shops and throw my legs over some Roos, Felts or Giants.
Well, this could've been your first post, and we would've avoided all the trolling.
Old 08-13-13, 07:02 PM
mr645

Bikes: Fuji Altamira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Speed Concept 7 looks pretty cool, go for that one.

I test rode 6 bikes at three LBS before buying the one I did
Old 08-13-13, 07:41 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
That said, I still think that test rides are a huge waste of time for most. (test drives too)
You share some good information, advice, and insight here so I truly respect your insight. I read this post and read your signature and think that while you make since, test rides can still help some. True in a blind test I couldn't tell the difference in 105 and Ultegra, but having had the chance to ride several bikes from different makers, I would prefer a test ride unless I was only going Cannondale. I know what I am getting there, but if I were looking at a Giant or something like that I would want to ride it....as I said, your point is sound, this is just my personal observation.
Old 08-13-13, 08:05 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
This is exactly the point I'm making: if you need to learn functionality I understand a test ride, if you're trying to assess if you "like" a bike, a test ride is going to be a bit pointless.
Then you should not have said "I understand a test ride for someone new to cycling who's trying to learn the functionality of the bike, but not for anyone more experienced." I'm not new to cycling but there's plenty of functionality that I have yet to learn. How many people on these forums have tried an 11 speed bike? How many might want to before deciding if it is a worthwhile upgrade from 10? I'd guess more than a few.

Regardless of what's learned, some people might want to test ride a bike simply because they can (or should be able to). That's one of the main selling points of the LBS vs. buying online, right?
Old 08-13-13, 11:48 PM
SpookyReverb

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
I think it's relatively uncommon for people to ask to test ride at many shops, which is why they're surprised.
Is that true? That just seems bizarre to me.

Maybe it is different here, but the bike shop employees encourage you to ride the bikes first. And will suggest and prepare other bicycles for you to ride and compare them to. At least, that's been my experience. One shop here in town even has a small test track in their shop (River City).
Old 08-14-13, 12:01 AM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Wow, lookit this thread.

Hahaha....

Ok, I've read the whole thread and now I realize I know all the shops and folks you're referring to.

That shop has only been open for something like 2.5 months? The guy that I've met behind the counter should get a second chance. He's not a natural salesman... but I trust his honesty. He wouldn't sell ice to an Eskimo, on principle.

I'll probably buy stuff there for that reason alone. And I bet ignore you, he just did not make a logical jump to help you get fit on a bike in the shop. (learning curve... he's clearly not a seasoned/creepy salesman)

The trek place, yeah they accommodate, but when I went there on "black Friday" last year, they didn't have any advertised products, and the "everything is on sale" turned out to be "except cold weather gear"..... I only bought something just so I didn't waste a trip. Awesome bike sales staff.... very talented at up-selling.

As for that "tri shop" further south, ummmm..... I've bought stuff there, but you better read some books on negotiating or marry an Armenian and take them with you. They play the email coupon code game, where you need to be smart on their coupons to get a competitive price.... or plan on paying super premium.

When it comes to shopping, I'll go to the friendly place first every-time, and only head elsewhere if the shop doesn't carry what I'm looking to buy.

Last edited by BigJeff; 08-14-13 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 01:42 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJeff
Hahaha....

Ok, I've read the whole thread and now I realize I know all the shops and folks you're referring to.

That shop has only been open for something like 2.5 months? The guy that I've met behind the counter should get a second chance. He's not a natural salesman... but I trust his honesty. He wouldn't sell ice to an Eskimo, on principle.

I'll probably buy stuff there for that reason alone. And I bet ignore you, he just did not make a logical jump to help you get fit on a bike in the shop. (learning curve... he's clearly not a seasoned/creepy salesman)

The trek place, yeah they accommodate, but when I went there on "black Friday" last year, they didn't have any advertised products, and the "everything is on sale" turned out to be "except cold weather gear"..... I only bought something just so I didn't waste a trip. Awesome bike sales staff.... very talented at up-selling.

As for that "tri shop" further south, ummmm..... I've bought stuff there, but you better read some books on negotiating or marry an Armenian and take them with you. They play the email coupon code game, where you need to be smart on their coupons to get a competitive price.... or plan on paying super premium.

When it comes to shopping, I'll go to the friendly place first every-time, and only head elsewhere if the shop doesn't carry what I'm looking to buy.
Yeah it's the new shop. I always go to the Trek shop first because the folks are nice especially the lady who leads the group rides but I figured, give the NKOTB a chance. Oh well. Is Bike Bling the "tri shop" further south you are referring to? The one I am checking out tomorrow is Nytro in Encinitas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.