Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

REVIEW!!! of DownTube Bikes and their Customer Service with a Out of the Box Issue

Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

REVIEW!!! of DownTube Bikes and their Customer Service with a Out of the Box Issue

Old 04-11-15, 05:57 AM
westgl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be reviewing The manufacturer Downtube and their 9FS Bike in this Review, and better Yet.

I will Also reviewing DownTubes Customer service, when a OUT OF THE BOX Factory Defect Issue occurs.

For Now I will see how promptly and how well this is taken care of, and whether or not it is taken care of satisfactorily, and will rate Downtubes Customer service when a Factory Defect Occurs.

Stay Tuned

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 05:59 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know what other Bike sites Downtube Posts on?

I should make others aware of this warranty issue and Downtube NOT honoring their warranty on a Paint PROBLEM!!!

No problem, i'll find them!!!

I'm retired and have a lot of time to devote to it.

Funny thing, word of mouth can be a very powerful thing.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 06:42 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Review of Unboxing the 9FS bike.

Upon unboxing the first 9FS, first thing I noticed was a Chip in the Paint on the top of the hinge the size of my little finger nail.

NOTE: First off, I will Review Downtube's Customer service on the Paint Issue I am Having while unboxing the bike.

This was right out of the Box, and the way this Bike is Boxed, and the bike is folded it could NOT have occurred in shipping.

I took a picture of the Paint chip, it is on the top of the Hinge, and Very obvious on the Bike, I then sent it to Yan owner of Downtube bikes.

Here is where the Customer Service (If you can call it that) problem started, he said for me to buy some nail polish to fix a POWDER coat paint problem.

After I sent him a "this is Not acceptable" reply he tells me it is not his problem.

So I ask him If you buy a car that has a chip that is proportional in size on the hood of the new car, and you talk to the manufacturer to fix it and they tell you to put nail polish on it good luck finding a exact match and then say it your problem.

Beside I should Not Have to fix a OUT OF THE BOX DEFECT.

Downtube should Honor their warranty.

So this tells you about Downtube and Yan's the Owner of Downtube and their lack of Honor and their Warranty.

That is NOT good or any Customer service at all.

A warranty through Yan and Downtube for any paint related issues isnt going to happen.

and lets face it how many defect occur in the Very Imprecise Chinese Manufacturing process.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 06:54 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
This customer buys two 9FS bikes on Friday, he decides he wants to buy 2 different bikes on Saturday ( mini and 8H ) and plans to return the two 9FS bikes that were already shipped. He only buys one on Monday and then he starts talking about buying a Tern or Novara on this site. Clearly he has time on his hands!

This problem stems from his desire for me to pay return shipping for his mistaken buying choices. In all I expect all three bikes returned by this customer I think it is impossible to make him happy since his desires change on a daily basis.

As for the paint chip it was clearly from impact while shipping, hence touching it up is the proper protocol. My paying return shipping is not going to happen.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 04-11-15, 06:58 AM
downtube

I have attached a picture of the claimed defect. I have my position clear and I wish Gary all the best in his quest to complain about us.

Thanks,
Yan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150409_153503.jpg (80.6 KB, 215 views)
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 04-11-15, 07:04 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong,

Besides Can I not buy 2 or 10 bikes who cares, it's My money!!

I said I liked the 8H for IGH drive and the Belt drive, and asked about it, and if I could return one of the 9FS bikes, since it would be My change, I would have paid for shipping and bike price difference, in changing to the 8H, as i had not seen the 8H on the downtube site, before buying the TWO 9FS bike.

you were going on what you thought might happen, not reality.

No, I said I liked the Tern and Novara.

I was committed to keeping both 9FS bikes and still am, I additionally bought a Mini, and was going to also buy a 8H.

Also as i said to you I wanted You to pay for the defective paint bikes shipping both ways and provide me a decently painted 9FS.

All I want is a decently painted 9FS, which is the same bike that I have.

I dont think replacing the bike at your shipping expense is out of the question, and is expected.

EVERYONE look at how Yan the OWNER of Downtube turns this around on the customer, that just wants the bike they bought to be like new when unboxing it, Nothing more.

Everything is blamed on the customer, Yan takes No respectability at all, I dont like this.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 07:07 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say maybe a contamination issue of the paint process, any reputable manufacture would take care of their customer.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 07:09 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DOWNTUBE and YAN

Cannot be trusted,

Their warranty is B.S.

and they will probably not Last to long, in business screwing the customer this way.

I give them a couple years, maybe, but will NOT be buying even pencils from them.

Good going Downtube keep up the Lousy Customer service, and drive away those customers.
Old 04-11-15, 07:17 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I have attached a picture of the claimed defect. I have my position clear and I wish Gary all the best in his quest to complain about us.

Thanks,
Yan
Yes this is the paint chip/damage upon opening the box.

But the rear swingarm is also Very thinly color painted and the white primer is more dominate, than the yellow color, the white primer comes shining through.

It also has a welding Pin hole on the top of the bottom bracket.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 07:24 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone see where Yan posts on other Bike sites.

As i would like to help any unsuspecting poor customers that fall into his web of deceit and lies.

Lies being a "Warranty" as there is "No Warranty at all", and return of product that is defective right out of the box.

I do not like to be Lied to or cheated!!

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 07:29 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And to think I was going to buy another bike from downtube soon, and then Yan pulls this.

That sucks,

foreigners come into this country and do business, most are good Hard working people, and do the right thing, in this kind of situation.

I dont know if Yan is a foreigner or not, it doesn't really matter, but he is Far worse as a business man, he takes advantage of his customers, since he does not honor his product.

Then you have the Underbelly like Yan, that once they have your money you are on your own, and they screw you.

Terrible Terrible Terrible, business ethics, what ethics?

Note to self:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING Mail order, Sight Unseen, you could run into a Yan.

I wish you Luck.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 07:41 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by westgl
And to think I was going to buy another bike from downtube soon, and then Yan pulls this.

That sucks, foreigners come into this country and do business, most are good people that work hard, and do the right thing, in this kind of situation.

Then you have the Underbelly like Yan, that once they have your money you are on your own, and they screw you.

Terrible Terrible Terrible.

Note to self:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING Mail order, Sight Unseen, you could run into a Yan.

I wish you Luck.
No worries I was not going to send you any other bikes.

I agree with your position on foreigners?!?! I'm joking.

Thanks
Yan
Old 04-11-15, 08:03 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please notice that Yan will have to have the last word, in most threads.

He loves to fight to, watch in all his posts, he is not a friendly guy, he will tell you what he cant do instead of what he can do.

This will be his down fall.

I understand the Company's name change now!! it is to shake off the old customers that have had problems with him.
Old 04-11-15, 08:19 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... Upon unboxing the first 9FS, first thing I noticed was a Chip in the Paint on the top of the hinge the size of my little finger nail. ...
FWIW, paint chips such as the one in question are not "normal", but they do happen. We use Testors enamel for most of our touch-up jobs. If the touch-up is noticeable, we usually add a low-cost accessory (i.e. a bell, an entry-level headlight, etc.) or offer a small allowance (~$10). For more significant cosmetic issues, we have always been able to reach agreement with the vendor on a suitable cost reduction. Usually, only the shipping company benefits when the item is returned.

Please keep in mind that a bicycle that is used for its intended purpose will likely get several paint chips during its normal life.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 04-11-15, 08:31 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
FWIW, paint chips such as the one in question are not "normal", but they do happen. We use Testors enamel for most of our touch-up jobs. If the touch-up is noticeable, we usually add a low-cost accessory (i.e. a bell, an entry-level headlight, etc.) or offer a small allowance (~$10). For more significant cosmetic issues, we have always been able to reach agreement with the vendor on a suitable cost reduction. Usually, only the shipping company benefits when the item is returned.

Please keep in mind that a bicycle that is used for its intended purpose will likely get several paint chips during its normal life.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Yes i understand that a bike will get small dings, over time, but Right out of the box is unacceptable in my eyes.

Yan the owner of Downtube instead of telling me what he could do for me only told me what he wouldn't do, and turned it into a negative experience very quickly.

He did mention using some fingernail polish, to cover the paint, But the match and hardness would not be the same.

Yan treated me like it was my fault and my responsibility that the bike had a chip in the paint right out of the box.

If it had been handled differently then I would have probably been a happy customer.

He was very unsure of his product and himself and kept thinking I was going to return the bikes i kept telling him I ordered the bikes cause i want them and may order more, he was very insecure during the whole process, this made me wonder about the order, and his bikes at that point.
Old 04-11-15, 08:32 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
this is overkill for a paint chip!
many people have been very happy with downtube bikes and yans service.
i hope the moderaters but a stop to these types of thread.
yan i suggest you state your case clammly and don't get drawn into these threads.
not everybody places weight or validity on single complaints on internet threads.

ie trip advisor, and so forth. ..............

yan send this guy some colour coded touch up paint, op put it on your bike and ride it. it will soon get scrathed again in use................

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-11-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 08:53 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
9FS Bike review,

The Downtube 9FS is a very Nice bike.

I like the bike a lot, it is comfortable for the most part, and looks to be well made, the metal is thicker than some of the other bikes i have looked at, and has extra bracing in areas that it appears to be needed.

I liked the Long seat post frame tube, this seems more durable then the bike I have looked at, in this support area.

The stem seems very durable a no flex.

Shifting is extremely smooth, component group seems very nice.

It seems much more efficient to ride than the IGH Novara Flyby I test road.

Thus meaning it seems faster on the road.

Gearing is very nice with shifts being, again very smooth.

Trigger shifters are also very nice.

Tektro Brakes stop very well.

Bike is silent for the most part with only the Bell making noise while riding

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:07 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by bhkyte
this is overkill for a paint chip!
many people have been very happy with downtube bikes and yans service.
i hope the moderaters but a stop to these types of thread.
yan i suggest you state your case clammly and don't get drawn into these threads.
not everybody places weight or validity on single complaints on internet threads.

ie trip advisor, and so forth. ..............

yan send this guy some colour coded touch up paint, op put it on your bike and ride it. it will soon get scrathed again in use................
Thanks for the advice, I did not get upset with this thread. However I was surprised with some of the comments.

I will gladly send Greg touch up paint if he plans to keep the bike. I am still uncertain on his position of a return.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 04-11-15, 09:14 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Thanks for the advice, I did not get upset with this thread. However I was surprised with some of the comments.

I will gladly send Greg touch up paint if he plans to keep the bike. I am still uncertain on his position of a return.

Thanks,
Yan

Yan,

Who's Greg?

I have discussed this with you several times, I really like the bikes.

The Paint was my only issue.

I only asked If i were to return one of the bikes as an exchange, for a more expensive bike, how would we go about it, i would cover the freight.

Then this Paint issue came up.

I am Not returning any of the bikes, I wanted to buy more of them.

Sorry this paint issue turned out to be such a big deal.

But i feel it should have been handled differently.

Last edited by westgl; 04-11-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:22 AM
downtube

Yan,

Who's Greg?

I have discussed this with you several times, I really like the bikes.

The Paint was my only issue.

I only asked If i were to return one of the bikes as an exchange, for a more expensive bike, how would we go about it, i would cover the freight.

Then this Paint issue came up.

I am Not returning any of the bikes, I wanted to buy more of them.

Sorry this paint issue turned out to be such a big deal.

But i feel it should have been handled differently.
My apologies for the mistaken name. I will send out the paint Monday. I agree this situation was not a good for anyone involved.

Thanks
Yan
Old 04-11-15, 09:42 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Yan,

That was a lot easier, and would have been a great first comment, that would have avoided all this.

Sorry i got upset, but it seemed like I wasnt getting anywhere.
Old 04-11-15, 05:41 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I am So Glad I was able to buy my perfect condition Inspected by ME before I paid for it Dahon Speed P8 from my recently found
Local Folding Bike Shop...

If I did buy off the Internet and It arrived damaged I'd ship it right back and do a charge back on my credit card If the distributor
didn't refund me In Full or reship me a perfect one.

The loss of one way shipping would be my lesson and I would not repeat that mistake.

Shipping damage Is not my responsibility...

I would settle it in private,, then AFTER It was all over I'd post the results In a forum.
I would send the distributor an Email containing my Intended forum post before I went public.
I would want His reply at the end to go with my Forum posting....

But That's me,, My momma used to take me for long walks In the woods,,, but,, I Always found my way back
Old 04-12-15, 04:22 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Westgl you've used these forums to troll a company and its owner and even slag off Chinese and foreigners while you're at it. The USA is a nation based on global migration and foreigners and such matters have nothing to with your business with Downtube.

I've had 2 Downtubes and I'm not connected with Yan or his business before you start trolling and making accusations. He's a reasonable guy and it sounds like you chose to play the role of a nightmare customer who thrives off confrontation and complaining. You are trolling and seeking confrontation with others and polluting this forum full of well-intentioned people. You've scored no victory on these forums and just made a complete fool out of yourself in the process.

Last edited by mulleady; 04-12-15 at 06:11 AM.
Likes For mulleady:
Old 04-12-15, 06:20 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Moved to manufacturer feedback.

Let's keep the "foreigner" issue out of it. Americans companies make mistakes too.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-12-15, 06:50 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
I am So Glad I was able to buy my perfect condition Inspected by ME before I paid for it Dahon Speed P8 from my recently found
Local Folding Bike Shop...

If I did buy off the Internet and It arrived damaged I'd ship it right back and do a charge back on my credit card If the distributor
didn't refund me In Full or reship me a perfect one.

The loss of one way shipping would be my lesson and I would not repeat that mistake.

Shipping damage Is not my responsibility...

I would settle it in private,, then AFTER It was all over I'd post the results In a forum.
I would send the distributor an Email containing my Intended forum post before I went public.
I would want His reply at the end to go with my Forum posting....

But That's me,, My momma used to take me for long walks In the woods,,, but,, I Always found my way back
Yes, but would you get personal and make inane xenophobic comments about 'foreigners'?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.