Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More delays in new road bike order. The new normal?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-11-20, 12:53 PM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

I know that bike stores and the manufacturers are all out of bikes this Covid year. Intense demand, global supply chain disruptions. Since I began working from home, no kidding, I'm part of the problem. I'm riding a lot more often, so much so that I started shopping this summer to replace my 15-year-old road bike.

I placed an order with my LBS in early September 2020 for a Specialized Roubaix Sport, the 2021 model. The Specialized factory website told the LBS delivery would be late November maybe. Okay, I could wait.

Update from yesterday: the Specialized website told my LBS maybe it will be delivered in January 2021.

This is the new normal, right? Oh well, just venting a little. First World problems.

=K
Old 11-11-20, 01:40 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I think they're trickling back into stock, slowly perhaps, but it probably varies by make and model based on shops in a few different states I've been communicating with.

I was at my LBS last night and was surprised to see how many bikes they had in stock and available for purchase; by far the most I'd seen there since March. Adult-sized bikes, not just the tiny kiddie bikes which were pretty much all they had most of the summer.
Old 11-11-20, 02:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I ordered a Domane SL7 in Aug with a "Dec" Delivery date, then it got pushed to Jan, Feb, Mar, and when it got to April, I cancelled it and ordered a Domane Project 1 and was riding it in 10 days. The delay was due to a lack of tires. Seems more and more bikes are coming with 32mm tires and Trek supply was\is lacking.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-11-20, 03:42 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I ordered a Domane SL7 in Aug with a "Dec" Delivery date, then it got pushed to Jan, Feb, Mar, and when it got to April, I cancelled it and ordered a Domane Project 1 and was riding it in 10 days. The delay was due to a lack of tires. Seems more and more bikes are coming with 32mm tires and Trek supply was\is lacking.
That seems like a silly reason to delay entire bike order.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 11-11-20, 05:03 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I ordered with a FS MTB the end of July. Suppose to be here Jan 2021. We'll see. Talked to the LBS mgr last week and he said bikes are only tricking in and they haven't seen any increase in the last few months.
Old 11-11-20, 05:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Agreed, but it was the reason. When I changed the tires to the 35mm gravel tires, it dropped it to 3 days. I went on Trek site and saw they had the 32mm R3 TLR in brown wall, I picked them up. I also wanted an 11-30 cassette, but they were out of stock, so I went back to the stock 11-34.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-11-20 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 05:16 PM
August West

I wish you hadn't posted that

Now you got me thinking about doing the same. Although I really didn't want to spend that much money I could get it to go along with them P1 Domane SLR 7 I picked up in Feb.
Old 11-11-20, 05:24 PM
jaxgtr

Yea I didn't either, but I also did not want to wait until .....insert month here....., but in the long run, the price difference was not that much, as I was changing out the stock handlebars, seatpost and saddle anyway, so by the time I did all of that, the P1 was only a couple of hundred dollars more and I got exactly what I wanted, and the SLR frame.

Old 11-11-20, 07:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiDallas
This is the new normal, right?
Yes, but it's not just bikes. We can't deliver our products (scientific instruments) because a particular electrical connector is back ordered for 57 weeks. So, a $100 connector holds up a $50k instrument, that is part of a $500k instrument.
Old 11-11-20, 07:34 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I placed an order with my LBS in early September 2020 for a Specialized Roubaix Sport, the 2021 model. The Specialized factory website told the LBS delivery would be late November maybe. Okay, I could wait.

Update from yesterday: the Specialized website told my LBS maybe it will be delivered in January 2021.

This is the new normal, right? Oh well, just venting a little. First World problems.

=K
It's not the new normal, but it will be like this for the next 10-12 months.

If all goes well, 2022 models will be available around the start of 2022.
Old 11-11-20, 07:46 PM
August West

Yea I didn't either, but I also did not want to wait until .....insert month here....., but in the long run, the price difference was not that much, as I was changing out the stock handlebars, seatpost and saddle anyway, so by the time I did all of that, the P1 was only a couple of hundred dollars more and I got exactly what I wanted, and the SLR frame.
I'm going to check with my LBS tomorrow and see what the P1 Mtb lead times are.
Old 11-11-20, 08:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

no.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-12-20, 06:16 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

Plus all those 2021 bike that have only been ridden three time will be on craigslist.
Likes For znomit:
Old 11-12-20, 09:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I guess it worked out fine for Trek. They ended up selling a more expensive bike.

I understand why these delays are happening...But it makes me chuckle. In 2019 I got antsy when my new custom-built bike was delayed -- it was supposed to take eight weeks, and it ended up taking about 11 weeks.
Old 11-13-20, 05:18 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Back in April i ordered an F12 from my local dealer. Haven't heard from him since I last checked in July. I am a bit annoyed but he isn't holding any of my money so I wait and see. Maybe Di2 12 speed will become available.
Old 11-13-20, 08:24 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I was at my LBS last night and was surprised to see how many bikes they had in stock and available for purchase; by far the most I'd seen there since March. Adult-sized bikes, not just the tiny kiddie bikes which were pretty much all they had most of the summer.
I need to stop back in there this weekend.... Will be interesting to see if all those bikes are gone or not!
Old 11-13-20, 12:41 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

A total of nearly two years is long enough to be "the new normal".
Old 11-13-20, 05:27 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I work in the foodservice industry and Nitrile Gloves are the challenge for us. A case of 1000 gloves which used to cost roughly $55 are now up to $160. Today we heard that there is a shortage of rubber and soon car tires would be going up... Go stock up on your bike tires everyone!
Old 11-13-20, 10:29 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Koyote
I guess it worked out fine for Trek. They ended up selling a more expensive bike.

I understand why these delays are happening...But it makes me chuckle. In 2019 I got antsy when my new custom-built bike was delayed -- it was supposed to take eight weeks, and it ended up taking about 11 weeks.
LOL...yep, they did.

Old 11-19-20, 01:47 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
On paper it looks like we are in the midst of a 1960s style bike boom. Far from it. The truth of the matter is western populations are overfed and addicted to passive entertainment in all of it's many forms. What we are seeing is a brief intermission but soon the curtain will rise again and the show will resume.

Given the fact that the bicycle industry is consumer driven and thus fickle and demanding, not to mention over engineered and overpriced, I see a few dark storm clouds on the horizon. And that is if the world economy doesn't tank.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 11-19-20, 01:58 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I ordered a 2021 Emonda ALR for my wife from my LBS. It'll get here in April.
Old 11-19-20, 06:50 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
I know that bike stores and the manufacturers are all out of bikes this Covid year. Intense demand, global supply chain disruptions. Since I began working from home, no kidding, I'm part of the problem. I'm riding a lot more often, so much so that I started shopping this summer to replace my 15-year-old road bike.

=K
I was in market for a new bike back in May and could not find a thing, and backorders were stacking up also.
I went ahead and rebuilt my old bike instead!
For the rebuild I kept frame/crankset/fork/seat/bars/clips. Everything else was replaced.
Summary: I upgraded to a 1X drive-train, aero carbon wheelset, new Ultegra components, and all new cabling.

I sold my old groupset and decent aluminum wheels on Craigslist for great money (bike shops were stripped bare....so my old components sold quickly) which helped pay for upgrades.
Old 03-11-21, 03:10 PM
KiwiDallas

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
OP here, checking back in.

That January 2021 delivery date did not happen. Here it is March 2021, and Specialized is still not even giving my dealer any estimates of deliveries for bikes ordered back in 2020.

My LBS is wondering if Specialized will simply give up on 2021 models and start over with 2022 models sometime this year. In which case I get to go back, pick a color, pay more, and re-order.

I notice the prices on the Specialized website have already gone up for my model since I ordered, six months ago.

=K
Likes For KiwiDallas:
Old 03-11-21, 03:26 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I ordered a new gravel bike last summer, and feel that I was extremely lucky to get it in three weeks. When I started looking at a new road bike, talked to my LBS (I've bought three bikes from them and get outstanding service there), and they were completely up front with me that they could put an order in the system, but there was absolutely no way to be able to say when/if it would show up, probably six months at the earliest, but still no guarantees. Hated to spend the money somewhere else, but found one at an out of state shop and had it shipped to me. So it's either wait indefinitely, or search/call and find someone who has it in stock and will ship it to you. Same on prices, they're all going up, the price on my SuperSix went up the day after I bought it.
Old 03-11-21, 03:32 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
It looks like it will be very difficult to find new bikes in 2021. Hopefully new bikes will be more widely available in 2022. Since last September manufacturers keep pushing back delivery dates citing problems getting components in the supply chain plus difficulty getting freight shipped on time all the while implementing one price increase after another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.