Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More delays in new road bike order. The new normal?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More delays in new road bike order. The new normal?

Old 03-11-21, 04:10 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Yikes, you have my sympathy. Unfortunately, we're all at the mercy of the pandemic... and I hope we all get used to this, because I think it was inevitable, pandemic or not, that there cannot be "continued growth" in everything, immediate response & delivery times, and stupid inexpensively low prices - especially for services, which I think must go up, so that people can not be living in poverty while working 40hrs a week.

I feel I got lucky in that I bought my second-ever brand new bike (the first was in 1995!) in August 2020, not long before it all came to a head.

Now I've waited >1 month for things to arrive via post, that used to take a week max; and bc of Brexit, a big market for... everything... for me in Ireland, is now gone, and I have to look further afield (Spain, France, Germany... even Israel and Russia) for some things.
Old 03-11-21, 04:14 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiDallas
OP here, checking back in.

That January 2021 delivery date did not happen. Here it is March 2021, and Specialized is still not even giving my dealer any estimates of deliveries for bikes ordered back in 2020.

My LBS is wondering if Specialized will simply give up on 2021 models and start over with 2022 models sometime this year. In which case I get to go back, pick a color, pay more, and re-order.

I notice the prices on the Specialized website have already gone up for my model since I ordered, six months ago.

=K
I'd look for something else TBH. I've seen Canyon availability, my Giant Revolt shipped two days after I placed an order. Excel has the Caledonia w/ Ultegra in stock for $3,500. Not every bike is a long wait time, but you may need to look around.
Old 03-11-21, 04:40 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
The mountain bike I had put deposit down on last July never showed up. The latest estimate as of a few weeks ago was May or June. I got tired of waiting and got my deposit back. If bikes ever become available again I'll pursue the MTB again at that time. In the mean time, I'm enjoying road riding enough I don't miss it.
Old 03-11-21, 06:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
OP here, checking back in.

That January 2021 delivery date did not happen. Here it is March 2021, and Specialized is still not even giving my dealer any estimates of deliveries for bikes ordered back in 2020.

My LBS is wondering if Specialized will simply give up on 2021 models and start over with 2022 models sometime this year. In which case I get to go back, pick a color, pay more, and re-order.

I notice the prices on the Specialized website have already gone up for my model since I ordered, six months ago.

=K
You haven't had to pay for it yet have you? When I ordered my new bike last March 2020, I didn't pay till it came in. No deposit either. Thankfully it only took a few weeks.

Giant, Trek and Cannondale all make good similar bikes to the Roubaix. As do many others. I thought I saw some new Specialized bikes the other day in my LBS, but I was just in and out, so I didn't get close up.
Old 03-11-21, 08:01 PM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks, all. In reply to Q's:

- I put 20% down as a deposit. The LBS offers 10% off accessories if you buy a bike. So they've been very good about giving me the 10% off, even though I haven't actually bought a bike. (Vapor-bike discount)

- Oh, I'd have moved on from Specialized months ago and looked for something else, but ... that FutureShock stem, with the little shock absorber in it, is the real attraction. I ride on bad pavement, my wrists get pounded and go numb, and I kinda need my hands to work normally. I play guitar and type on internet forums.

=K
Old 03-11-21, 10:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
yikes. That was my worry back in August when my arrival date on my Domane kept getting pushed back. I decided to go Project One and got it pretty quick, 10 days. I understand now, depending on what your setup is, some of the Project Ones are taking much longer. Glad I got mine when I did.

Old 03-12-21, 12:03 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I ordered a Project One Domane SLR 7 last week and it was estimated at 60-90 days minimum. Some options, all of which I avoided, added up to 180 days for the bike.

On the other hand, the SL7 had a delivery time of May 2022.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-12-21, 07:16 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You haven't had to pay for it yet have you? When I ordered my new bike last March 2020, I didn't pay till it came in. No deposit either. Thankfully it only took a few weeks.

Giant, Trek and Cannondale all make good similar bikes to the Roubaix. As do many others. I thought I saw some new Specialized bikes the other day in my LBS, but I was just in and out, so I didn't get close up.
They charge you a deposit because it counts as a ''special order'' when you want/buy a bike they don't have in stock, regardless of if they have already ordered the bike or not. I am not saying I'm in agreement with this, but this is what they do. Well, in my area at least!

The market is crazy right now, 2021 Giant road bikes are either almost all sold-out or reserved in advance with delivery dates going up to October 2021.

I bought one from a nearby LBS last weekend they had secured from Giant Canada, and I had to pay the 20% to reserve it. They will receive it in 4 weeks. They even charged me a 30$ Freight/PDI that I only saw when I came back home and consulted the email invoice (what the?).

Last edited by eduskator; 03-12-21 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 08:02 AM
y2zipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I got pretty lucky with my emonda sl6 pro. Ordered in June 2020 and waited like 120 days. Now everything's like a year out.

LBS owners I know have said that they are basically buying any inventory that becomes available because it will sell.

Last edited by y2zipper; 03-12-21 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 08:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Get your money back and just buy a different bike. Future Shock cant possibly be worth this.
Buy a redshift stem if you need handlebar suspension and go actually ride a new bike.

I get that youve bought accessories for 10% off...how much can that really be though?
Old 03-12-21, 08:55 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'd look for something else. Plenty of bike brands out there and they may have the bike in the size and with the groupo you're looking for.

As a side note, we bought Mrs. NoWhammies a new Specialized this year. When we picked the bike up, the salesman told us were lucky to get the bike. The shop was not expecting any more 2021 bikes in stock, and it was only March. He wasn't sure what the summer was going to look like when families came in to purchase a bike only to be told there were no bikes in stock.
Old 03-12-21, 12:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
So what's the crux of the issue? The manufacturing facilities of the frames or the groupsets are sitting idle? Specialized oversold and way underestimated what their supply chain was going to be able to make and ship by? Or the Point of Sale, order entry platform wasn't real time back to the sources, so they presold eg. 5x more bikes than would ever have been possible to produce?
Old 03-12-21, 01:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by guachi
I ordered a Project One Domane SLR 7 last week and it was estimated at 60-90 days minimum. Some options, all of which I avoided, added up to 180 days for the bike.

On the other hand, the SL7 had a delivery time of May 2022.
Yea when I ordered by Domane, it was an issue getting the cassette I wanted and tires. I opted to go with stuff they had in stock and just bought the cassette I wanted and tires off the interwebs which all came in about the same time the bike was delivered to my bike shop. My lead time for the bike was 3 days doing that.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-12-21, 04:52 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I tried to order a Trek Checkpoint a few weeks ago. The Trek shop said I had to pay in full and it was scheduled for January 2022 though I might get it sooner. I am a little hesitant to drop five grand on a bike that I might not be able to ride this year.

To the OP sorry to hear about your dilemma. I would hate for you to get your money back and two weeks later the bike shows up. Depends on how much of a gambler you are.
Old 03-12-21, 05:18 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I tried to order a Trek Checkpoint a few weeks ago. The Trek shop said I had to pay in full and it was scheduled for January 2022 though I might get it sooner. I am a little hesitant to drop five grand on a bike that I might not be able to ride this year.

To the OP sorry to hear about your dilemma. I would hate for you to get your money back and two weeks later the bike shows up. Depends on how much of a gambler you are.
That does not sound right....I only had to put down 10% then paid in full when it came in. Sounds scammy to me. In fact, I originally ordered the SL7, so they reversed my original down payment back to me on the SL7, and then opened a new transaction for the new down payment.

Old 03-12-21, 06:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So what's the crux of the issue? The manufacturing facilities of the frames or the groupsets are sitting idle? Specialized oversold and way underestimated what their supply chain was going to be able to make and ship by? Or the Point of Sale, order entry platform wasn't real time back to the sources, so they presold eg. 5x more bikes than would ever have been possible to produce?
I dunno the answer, but that I’ve been waiting two months for a SRAM Force AXS hydro gruppo my be indicative of shortages throughout the supply chain.
Old 03-13-21, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud

Me too. I wouldn't pay for unknown delivery dates, or for dates more than a week or two away. I'd just ride what I have currently or what ever is available inexpensively right now. Then once bikes start flowing through the shops regularly I might be willing meet the shops pre-pay policy.

But still, look for other shops and find out what their policy is. And if you have reasons normally to be in other cities far away, check them too.
Old 03-13-21, 11:52 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The issue is a cascading series of disruptions in the supply chain due to the pandemic and this isn't unique to Specialized: bikes that would have been sold throughout 2020 were all sold in the spring of 2020, and manufacturers shipped everything in the pipeline to retailers who had bare sales floors, which means that items that should have been available in the first half of 2021 were sold through before the end of 2020. It's like a whole year of output just got vacuum'ed out from the supply side of the bike industry, and booming sales sound like a good problem to have, but it's not like these are normal times where manufacturers can ramp up production to meet adjusted demand, because the lead times for OEM parts have also gone way up and the shipping times for everything going to and from factories has increased too. Then, as if that wasn't enough, there's a whole extra layer of complication in the way orders are placed/allocated to dealers and retailers. Put all this together and you have a recipe for delays and confusion, which is exactly what we're getting. The only thing anybody can do whether we're on the manufacturing, retail, or consumer end of the business is wait patiently for things to get back to normal.
Old 03-14-21, 07:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
The issue is a cascading series of disruptions in the supply chain due to the pandemic and this isn't unique to Specialized: bikes that would have been sold throughout 2020 were all sold in the spring of 2020, and manufacturers shipped everything in the pipeline to retailers who had bare sales floors, which means that items that should have been available in the first half of 2021 were sold through before the end of 2020. It's like a whole year of output just got vacuum'ed out from the supply side of the bike industry, and booming sales sound like a good problem to have, but it's not like these are normal times where manufacturers can ramp up production to meet adjusted demand, because the lead times for OEM parts have also gone way up and the shipping times for everything going to and from factories has increased too. Then, as if that wasn't enough, there's a whole extra layer of complication in the way orders are placed/allocated to dealers and retailers. Put all this together and you have a recipe for delays and confusion, which is exactly what we're getting. The only thing anybody can do whether we're on the manufacturing, retail, or consumer end of the business is wait patiently for things to get back to normal.
Nice rundown. But in the case of the OP, who ordered his bike 6 months ago, and was told the wait was 2 months, which turned into 4, then at 6 months turned into basically 'we have no idea' -- it's seems hard to say what the issue is because Spesh doesn't even know what to project as a ship date. Some of the above stories that holdups could be due to things as mundane as just the tires seem ridiculous to us on BF.
Old 03-14-21, 10:55 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
fwiw, kudos to Trek and LBS for exceeding expectations. Ordered Emonda SL7 in August was told delivery in late November and it showed up early November. Halfway through the wait shop told me if I had ordered then wait was out to May
Old 03-14-21, 11:01 AM
KiwiDallas

One more update from the OP -

Well, I'm halfway to saying to hell with it. I just ordered a Redshift Shock Stop handlebar mount.

If it's any good, I may just cancel the order for a new bike.

=K
Old 03-19-21, 06:36 PM
KiwiDallas

One more update from the OP -

Well, I'm halfway to saying to hell with it. I just ordered a Redshift Shock Stop handlebar mount.

If it's any good, I may just cancel the order for a new bike.

=K
Okay, I have one question about the RedShift ShockStop stem:

Where have you been all my life?? This thing is terrific!

=K
Old 03-21-21, 07:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Okay, I have one question about the RedShift ShockStop stem:

Where have you been all my life?? This thing is terrific!

=K
If you’re unfamiliar with names like Girvin and Softride, you should find it a kick to learn about the development of the suspension stem from the golden era of MTB.

Redshift have done a great job modernizing the concept and making it more acceptable to the road-going crowd, and the gravel trend has created a whole new segment where it really makes sense.
Old 03-21-21, 11:31 AM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
The issue is a cascading series of disruptions in the supply chain due to the pandemic ..
Just to add to this: There are a lot of ships at anchor waiting WEEKS to dock at the Port of Los Angeles and there are at least 14 ships at anchor at the Port of Vancouver, for whatever reasons.
Old 03-23-21, 04:38 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Talking to the guy at the LBS I use for repairs (he's a one man band in very small premises who does repairs and servicing only, no new bikes) a couple of weeks back - he said that one of the main causes for delays on bikes is parts, and that he's finding it hard to get hold of parts. The UK wait on some Shimano parts is apparently up to 3 months, and is likely to get longer as the larger buyers (i.e. bike manufacturers) are getting first call on the parts as they become available. Scarcity of parts of course is causing prices to be pushed up and new bike prices are only going to increase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.