Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cannondale Synapse

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 10:37 PM
Matt Hinkle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Synapse

I have the opportunity to buy a Cannondale Synapse for $1000. I was hoping for advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-21, 10:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 Performance Road Bike '21 - Sun & Ski Sports (sunandski.com)

Old 01-23-21, 10:48 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I have one, love it. What advise are you looking for?
Old 01-24-21, 08:06 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Great endurance bike. It will be pretty fast and comfortable. Just make sure it’s the right size.
Old 01-24-21, 08:21 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Hinkle
I have the opportunity to buy a Cannondale Synapse for $1000. I was hoping for advice. Thanks in advance!

New? Used?

Old 01-24-21, 10:56 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The Synapse is the best of the bike bike brand endurance road bikes. I got one for my daughter because I was so impressed with the fit and ride. That is saying something as I work in a Specialized shop that also sells Giant. We looked at Trek and they just didn't have it going on like the Cdale. Two thumbs up for the Synapse.
Old 01-24-21, 11:19 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I bought a Cannondale Synapse about 9 months ago and I am very happy with it. I had it mounted on a pair of Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels during the warm weather months, and the bike rode fantastically. Because of the drop handlebars, you can sit as aggressively or as relaxed as you want. During these winter months, I have it mounted on my Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer. I highly recommend the Cannondale Synapse.
The $1,000 price is extremely attractive even if used, but as other posters have asked...is it the proper size for you? The comfort, enjoynent and fun of riding the Synapse will not be evident if the bike is not the proper size for you.

Last edited by oldwinger14; 01-24-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 11:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
A decade old Synapse Sora thats been beaten up or a 2021 Ultegra Carbon model?....or somewhere between?
Old 01-25-21, 08:13 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The Synapse is the best of the bike bike brand endurance road bikes. I got one for my daughter because I was so impressed with the fit and ride. That is saying something as I work in a Specialized shop that also sells Giant. We looked at Trek and they just didn't have it going on like the Cdale. Two thumbs up for the Synapse.
Ha! I got one for my daughter too. I just wish she would ride it more.
Anyway, great bike. I got her the carbon version with tiagra and the only upgrade was cane creek calipers to tiagra or 105 (i can't remember).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-25-21, 10:15 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Is it possible to provide any less information? They have been making the Synapse a pretty long time in aluminum and carbon and with lots of different levels of components. $1,000.00 could be a fantastic buy or a total rip-off. No one could say with the information provided.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-09-21, 11:54 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I figure I would just post here first and see if a few of my questions about the CannondaleSynapsecan be answered.

I'm looking at a used 2014 Cannondale synapse alloy 105 10 speed disc 58cm @ $800.

My question has to do with tire clearance.
Did Cannondale change the frame geometry around the 2018 model to except wider tires to make it more of a so call gravel bicycle?
As that is one feature I'm looking for on my next bicycle that the frame and fork can fit a wider tire.
Plan on ridding 60/40% in favor of off road.

And does anyone know about the widest tire you can put on a 2014 model? It comes with 700x25 right now.
As the 2021 model comes stock with 700x30 and says you can go to 700x32 , from one article I started to read.

A few numbers from a size 58cm
2014 WB 101.5 chain stay 410 700 x 25c
2021 WB 102.5 chain stay 41.3 Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 30c

Added
I see now
Cannondale has the Topstone model as their Gravel bike.
Guess the
synapse model is the Endurance Road that best for on/off road , but nothing too crazy in the dirt/gravel?
Was asking because someone on the forum here picked out a
synapse for a gravel bike and they wanted to spend around 2K or less. Think I'll pass as I plan to ride less road unless it is a bicycle path and more off road as I get older.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 04-10-21 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 08:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I figure I would just post here first and see if a few of my questions about the CannondaleSynapsecan be answered.
The current Synapse is designed to accept 32mm tires max. Not sure about the mid-teens disc model, but it certainly won't be larger than 32.

A 32 tire is fine for me on smooth hardpack gravel and dirt roads. It'd be no fun at all on any other gravel roads. Around me it seems like the gravel roads change in composition every 1mile or so. It'll be smooth hardpack, then hardpack with loose on top, then back to hardpack, then soupy loose, then more hardpack with loose on top. Etc etc.

For Cannondale, the topstone would be what I would consider in riding 60% unpaved. The trek domane has a huge amount of clearance for whatnis considered a paved road bike.
...but really I would just find a gravel bike with the geometry I like and call it good. A lot of my rides are 60%gravel/40%paved as I ride paved roads to start and finish most rides. My gravel bike has frame angles, trail, and chainstay that's very similar to my main road bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-10-21, 10:48 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Depends. First question: does it fit? No bike is a bargain if it doesn't fit.
Old 04-10-21, 02:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I bought a Cannondale Synapse about 9 months ago and I am very happy with it. I had it mounted on a pair of Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels during the warm weather months, and the bike rode fantastically.
Very nice! I have the prior model (2016) with the same wheels. Those wheels are a good upgrade.
Old 04-10-21, 02:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
When I bought mine I also tried Domane and Roubaix; the other two felt too wriggly.
Old 04-10-21, 08:52 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I really like what Cannondale did with the newer Synapse. Room for wider tires, a little longer wheelbase and thru-axle to name a few changes.
But I really do not need another bicycle right now until I sell a few. But if I was looking for a
Endurance bike that leans more toward riding more pavement ,the Synapse would be on my list of bikes to consider.

And thanks for the feedback.
And yes it does fit.
Old 04-11-21, 08:56 AM
mdumas35

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How were you able to mount the Synapse to your Kickr? I have a 2020 Synapse Tiagra that I want to mount to my Kickr V5, however, I can't figure out how to do it as the rear is listed as 142mm drop out. Everything I see online-only mentions adaptors for a Thru-Axil setup up and I can't find any information on mounting a 142mm bike that is QR such as the Synapse.

Last edited by mdumas35; 04-11-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-25-22, 02:56 PM
70Degrees

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this thread in lieu of starting a new one. The 2022 Synapse is out and features an apparently controversial integrated headlight/taillight/battery system called SmartSense. Critics are complaining of an opportunistic method of forcing proprietary accessories upon Synapse buyers, and some are just unhappy about the hardware itself. Personally, I prefer the choice of installing my own accessories, and I'm not a huge fan of the external battery. I understand the pitch, though -- it's convenience. Will be interested to hear opinions of real users and owners.

Cycling Weekly article: Cannondale reacts to negative comments directed at new Synapse with smart technology
Old 01-25-22, 05:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by 70Degrees
Bumping this thread in lieu of starting a new one. The 2022 Synapse is out and features an apparently controversial integrated headlight/taillight/battery system called SmartSense. Critics are complaining of an opportunistic method of forcing proprietary accessories upon Synapse buyers, and some are just unhappy about the hardware itself. Personally, I prefer the choice of installing my own accessories, and I'm not a huge fan of the external battery. I understand the pitch, though -- it's convenience. Will be interested to hear opinions of real users and owners.

Cycling Weekly article: Cannondale reacts to negative comments directed at new Synapse with smart technology
Personally I think it's one of the worst ideas ever, not helped by a very poor implementation. If you are going to go down the route of lighting integration, then at the very least it should look like it was fully integrated and not just bodged onto the bike like any other random DIY setup. It actually looks worse than most after-market setups with wires hanging everywhere and the ugliest battery installation you could possibly imagine. Honestly I think this is going to be a total train wreck for Cannondale's reputation. The Synapse was such a nice bike previously too. Anyway that's my 2p worth!
Old 01-25-22, 05:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Personally I think it's one of the worst ideas ever, not helped by a very poor implementation. If you are going to go down the route of lighting integration, then at the very least it should look like it was fully integrated and not just bodged onto the bike like any other random DIY setup. It actually looks worse than most after-market setups with wires hanging everywhere and the ugliest battery installation you could possibly imagine. Honestly I think this is going to be a total train wreck for Cannondale's reputation. The Synapse was such a nice bike previously too. Anyway that's my 2p worth!
The reason I chose my (now two generation old) Synapse was because it felt purer, simpler, and more elegant with none of the suspension doodads of the Roubaix and the Domane of the time. This new generation departs from this philosophy and Cannondale has now lost me. The placement of the large external battery is especially poor in view of Trek's frame integrated storage compartment.
Old 01-25-22, 06:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I really like what Cannondale did with the newer Synapse. Room for wider tires, a little longer wheelbase and thru-axle to name a few changes.
But I really do not need another bicycle right now until I sell a few. But if I was looking for a
Endurance bike that leans more toward riding more pavement ,the Synapse would be on my list of bikes to consider.

And thanks for the feedback.
And yes it does fit.
Cannondale also went back to a BSA bottom bracket. Good for them. This is my next carbon road bike.
Old 01-25-22, 06:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Cannondale also went back to a BSA bottom bracket. Good for them. This is my next carbon road bike.
This is getting confusing. Joeyseven was talking about the prior generation synapse, whereas the switch to a BSA bottom bracket is for the current generation announced a week ago.

Commingling these points may confuse others as to what features are in which generation.
Old 01-25-22, 07:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is getting confusing. Joeyseven was talking about the prior generation synapse, whereas the switch to a BSA bottom bracket is for the current generation announced a week ago.

Commingling these points may confuse others as to what features are in which generation.
You are correct, mostly, noting that the thread did diverge to comments about new versions.
Old 01-25-22, 09:38 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 70Degrees

I like the idea, but I think it's the wrong bike to implement the first version of it on. If they made it an option/standard for one of their commuter/urban bikes, this would be a perfect fit. Once the tech gets more refined, they could implement it onto the endurance and gravel models as an optional package.

Making it mandatory on the higher end models was probably the nail in the coffin in this case.

I don't mind the external battery, because it means I can take it on and off quickly to charge, use as an external battery for my phone, easily replaced when the battery inevitably goes bad a few years down the line, etc. But then again, I still like external cable routing and stuff, so my preferences may not be indicative of the general market.

It makes sense to not give the system as an option since it would require additional cabling inside the frame, and that would make it more difficult at point of sale. Maybe it could be done in the future via a contact that run between the weave of the carbon. That would be a neat way to get rid of cabling and still provide the ability for wiring to be optional.
Old 01-26-22, 05:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
I like the idea, but I think it's the wrong bike to implement the first version of it on. If they made it an option/standard for one of their commuter/urban bikes, this would be a perfect fit. Once the tech gets more refined, they could implement it onto the endurance and gravel models as an optional package.
Exactly. Not everyone wants permanent lighting on a high-end endurance road bike. I just run a Garmin Varia on the seatpost and no front light. I don't need/want any of this additional stuff. If I did actually want full lighting I would rather fit my own over this particular effort anyway. The rear light would be right in the way of my micro-saddle bag (I fit my Varia slightly lower down on the seatpost for this reason) and I would prefer a wireless front light setup. I certainly don't need an external battery setup like this. If I was in the market for a new endurance bike, this new Synapse would be simply crossed off my shortlist based on the integrated lighting mess. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I presume they did their marketing research on this. Or did they? Time will tell I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.