Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good bike to get for wife?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-17, 05:30 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have been enjoying going on bike rides with my wife, but um trying find right bike for her is an issue. I have a used steel Schwinn mountain bike I have her ride and sometimes I have her ride my hybrid Trek Bike. She unfortunately has problems with both bikes. Her problem with the hybrid is it kind of built more like a road bike. I Personally love the bike, got up to 20 mph on it for 3 miles and can ride it at 15mph+ for over 20mph, but she doesn't like how much she has to lean over on the bike. It hurts her back. She has an easier time with it though because it is lighter than the mountain bike, aluminum frame very light easier to handle.

The mountain bike is heavier for her, she falls off of it because of the weight of the bike. Sometimes when she stops or gets off bike she can't hold the bike like she can the lighter hybrid trek bike I have and falls. However She likes the Mountain Bike better than the Trek Hybrid because it has a more upright riding style. Her back is straight riding the bike, it doesn't have the racing style the hybrid Trek has where you have to lean over. So she says the Schwinn mountain bike feels a lot more comfortable on her back. The problem with the Schwinn mountain bike is the weight of the bike.

She is just getting into bike riding and I noticed has a hard time with controlling her balance on the bike. She looses her balance easier on the heavier Schwinn Mountain bike, doesn't have much strength to hold the 45+ lb bike up and has fallen 4 times off that bike. She has not fallen once off of the much lighter Trek Hybrid Aluminum bike I have, but she says the bent over position of the bike really hurts her back a lot. She doesn't have a lot strength, especially when it comes to balancing strength which is required riding a heavier mountain bike.

I been wondering about maybe getting her a Cruiser for her, but a lot of them are heavy 45+ lb bikes and they have coaster breaks which I am worried she would have a hard time getting use to. She is use to the regular hand brakes.

Any advice? I enjoy bike rides with her but I hate to see her keep falling off my Mountain bike or suffering back pain from the Trek Hybrid I got?

Im thinking a lightweight Cruiser might be best? Any advice type bike to get for her?

Last edited by littleArnold; 09-17-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 05:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Let her figure it out?

Could be that the hybrid is just the wrong size for her. Also, some hybrids have adjustable stems that allow you to change the riding position to your comfort. And bike makers have been working on bikes with comfortable geometry that are still reasonably lightweight. Simply browsing through a few bike shops might give her an idea of what might be possible.

Edit: A relative of mine has one of these, and is quite happy with it:

https://www.purecycles.com/products/pure-city-bike

It's 32 pounds, which isn't super lightweight, but has a nice upright riding position. I've seen the bike, and it seems to be of decent quality.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 09-17-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 06:32 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Go to a shop or three, listen to their advice, and let her make the decision.

Your marriage will be happier for it.
Old 09-17-17, 06:34 PM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It looks like a nice bike. something like that but lighter in weight. I think a woman's bike would better for her. She has a hard time for some reason lifting her leg over the men's bar at the top and falls, even though we are close to same height. For whatever reason she has a harder time lifting her leg over that top bar than I do. So maybe a women bike with the very slanted bar which makes it easier to lift her leg over the metal bar to get off the bike would be easier for her. Maybe it is just the way a woman is built I don't know. She has a harder time with her wider hips lifting her leg over that high bar at the top, lol. She also is light only 100lbs so a 45 lb bike is a lot weight for her.
Old 09-17-17, 06:41 PM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The cruiser type bike's you mentioned may be her best option.....Felt has 7 speed Bixby Womens 7-SP - Felt Bicycles for modest cost along with a wide variety of others to choose from.....could be a good starter bike for her. With the step through type bike the weight may be less of an issue.....

Last edited by jbw57; 09-17-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 09:03 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
For people lacking the strength to hold a bike up when it leans over the key is to keep it upright. I'm guessing that neither bike is a step-thru so she has to lean it over to get on or off?

A Workcycles Gr8 would likely be a good option for her. These are quite popular with a wide variety of people but particularly for smaller women. Easy to get on and off and easy to manage. They're fun and efficient to ride. She'd likely find that she can ride farther and in more comfort on a Gr8 than either of the bikes that she's been riding.
Old 09-17-17, 11:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm usually not the first person to recommend going to get a bike fit, but this seems like a problem that could be corrected with a bike fit. (If you're on a strict budget or more DIY, a bike fit calculator such as this one can be a good starting point.)

I've had heavy steel MTBs, and they are definitely not speed demons. The hybrid (or even a road type bike, such as a touring, gravel, or "adventure" bike) seems better for the type of riding you're describing, but pain is a good indicator that the hybrid does not fit your wife correctly. It's possible that the frame is the wrong size (even if you're the same height), and even if the frame is the right size, a number of other adjustments could improve comfort.

Maybe an upright bike is the right option, maybe it's not. Either way, a properly fitting bike will be easier to control, will not cause unnecessary pain, and will be much more fun to ride!
Old 09-18-17, 03:25 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Perhaps the same model you have in in a women's model and a size that fits her. If you have a Trek FX, they make a stagger frame that might work (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black ). You might also add a stem extender to give her a more upright stance.

Hope this helps,
Penny
Old 09-18-17, 05:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Not sure it's a "cruiser" or a "city" bike style you'd probably be looking for. I think City would make more sense, eg. something along these lines.
https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/flourish-2-2018
Old 09-18-17, 06:36 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
We just bought my wife a Raleigh Venture a few months ago and she loves it.

She likes that it has a step thru frame so it's easier for her when she stops.

https://www.raleighusa.com/venture-step-thru-3480
Old 09-18-17, 06:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Crank Forward Bike

that allows her to stop with both feet on the ground while seated. Have several bike shops help her to find a comfortable solution. You stay out of it, only insofar as you can encourage, take her around, and listen. Don't offer your own opinions, as you're likely to mess it up. Let her decide.
Old 09-18-17, 06:52 AM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Sean Kelly would answer: get a new wife
<this is a JOKE, so try not to be so literal>
Old 09-18-17, 06:54 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Have several bike shops help her to find a comfortable solution. You stay out of it, only insofar as you can encourage, take her around, and listen. Don't offer your own opinions, as you're likely to mess it up. Let her decide.
All of this. It is not your bike, it is hers, the only thing you should be offering is support (and if buying used, maybe opinions on monetary value and condition). Trying to guide her decision will result in a bike you want, not a bike she wants, and probably wind you back up in the same position. Just showing up with a bike you think she will like is even ten times worse than that, and really guaranteed to get you nowhere.
Old 09-18-17, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Have her test ride a trike. Almost to a one ladies love riding a trike.
Old 09-18-17, 10:34 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have her test ride an Electra Townie. I personally don't much like them, but I can see how someone who is having trouble with other styles of bikes might like a Townie.
Old 09-18-17, 10:35 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bike for wife? Good trade!
Old 09-21-17, 03:39 AM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah I am thinking maybe a Cruiser from Schwinn. My mother bought a very nice Cruiser used from a Schwinn Bike shop. I might look into that. Have my wife test ride it. Or I might see if can raise stem on the Hybrid I got so she isn't leaning over bike when she rides and it doesn't hurt her back.
Old 09-21-17, 12:12 PM
teebox

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR 40, 2017 Felt Versa Speed and 2017 Cannondale Adventure 2

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchased a Cannondale Adventure Women's 2 for my wife in June '17. Replaced a Nishiki from Dick's Sporting goods. Took to her to local bike shop that carries Cannondale, Felt and BMC and had her try a couple. The Cannondale worked for her as she went through the process of being fit. She is not a long distance rider 10 - 12 miles is a big ride for her, but she enjoys it. I have a Cannondale Adventure 2 as well and use it when I ride with her and ride my Felt VR40 for long distances.

Check out several shops and models before purchase...
Old 09-21-17, 12:20 PM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast
Have her test ride an Electra Townie. I personally don't much like them, but I can see how someone who is having trouble with other styles of bikes might like a Townie.
I thought of the Townie too. Step through design and their "flat foot technology" permitting the rider to put both feet flat on the ground while sitting in the seat. It could be a good choice.

As others have said, go to a bike shop and let her look at, test ride, and decide on her ride.
Old 09-22-17, 02:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
It looks like a nice bike. something like that but lighter in weight. I think a woman's bike would better for her. She has a hard time for some reason lifting her leg over the men's bar at the top and falls, even though we are close to same height. For whatever reason she has a harder time lifting her leg over that top bar than I do. So maybe a women bike with the very slanted bar which makes it easier to lift her leg over the metal bar to get off the bike would be easier for her. Maybe it is just the way a woman is built I don't know. She has a harder time with her wider hips lifting her leg over that high bar at the top, lol. She also is light only 100lbs so a 45 lb bike is a lot weight for her.
I presume she's quite short?

And whatever you do, DO NOT get her a 45 lb bicycle!!!!!
Old 09-22-17, 05:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Cruiser bike like Townie...hard to pedal uphills...
Old 09-22-17, 09:16 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Trek Verve 2 Women's 27.60 lbs

Old 09-22-17, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
Yeah I am thinking maybe a Cruiser from Schwinn. My mother bought a very nice Cruiser used from a Schwinn Bike shop. I might look into that. Have my wife test ride it. Or I might see if can raise stem on the Hybrid I got so she isn't leaning over bike when she rides and it doesn't hurt her back.
Why specifically Schwinn? Seems odd to do- be dedicated to a specific brand, and a limited brand at that.

Go into a few shops. 1 that carries Giant among other brands, 1 that carries Trek among other brands, and 1 that carries something else major(Specialized, Jamis, etc).
Then let HER pick out what feels good to then test ride.

The way this sentence from your first post reads...well i hope its just poorly worded. Dont have her do anything. Instead, work with her to find what she likes.
"I have a used steel Schwinn mountain bike I have her ride and sometimes I have her ride my hybrid Trek Bike."

Also- raising the stem on the hybrid could work, but perhaps a properly fitting bike to fit her comfort and riding style would be best.
Old 09-22-17, 12:52 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
Bike for wife? Good trade!
The original:
Fred: ' I got a dog for my wife.'
Tom: 'Good trade!'
Old 09-22-17, 03:36 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.