Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Storage issues

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Storage issues

Old 11-09-20, 05:51 PM
miradoblackwarr

Bikes: None, yet, but have exercise cycle on living room.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Storage issues

I live in an apartment building with no place to store a bike. Does anyone have suggestions on how to store one with minimal space? I was thinking of vertical storage, not horizontal and not hanging. Suggestions of products, anyone? Thanks!
Old 11-09-20, 06:09 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I'd say upright is a good start. You can buy an S-hook or sorts that can hold your front wheel if you screw it up high enough.
I don't quite understand the "vertical, but not hanging"? Do you want a floor stand to keep it vertical rather than hooks?

What's your bike? A "normal" bike, hybrid, a road bike, an MTB, a cargo bike, mini-velo, or something else? An electric bike, perhaps?

One of my bikes can stand on end (the front) by itself, but it's the only bike I know of that can d that (cargo bike, doesn't matter). You can also get some good ideas if you go to Etsy.com and look around ("bike mount" or "bike holder").
There is this, for instance, which you could screw into the wall vertically instead and use the wheel to hold it:

Or this type of thing that is a lot more rugged:

Or this is (would work the same as the hook I mentioned) to keep the bike perpendicular to the wall.

Old 11-09-20, 06:15 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Found bike hooks on amazon.com (more variety on amazon.co.uk and amazon.de):
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Bike+hook&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

If you do end up getting something that makes the bike "stand" on the wall, I suggest you also buy a piece of metal or wood or some other covering for the wall that hides dirt well, because the wall will become nasty very, very quickly for obvious reasons.