Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Chadds Ford, PA

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 03:13 PM
same time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chadds Ford, PA

I'm going to be visiting in-laws in Chadds Ford, PA (West Chester county, I believe), and I'm taking my bike for an early morning ride while I'm there. Anybody from the area have advice on where to ride?

They live near rt 52 (Kennet Pike) between Longwood and Winterthur gardens. I was thinking of riding into Wilmington, but it looks like 52 turns into a pretty busy road. Looking at bikely.com, a lot of people seem to ride on rte 100/South Creek Road, so now I'm thinking I'll head out that way.

Any advice on where to go/what to avoid/where to cross route 1 would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-07-08, 03:54 PM
Brillig
Bananaed

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The annual Brandywine Tour (put on by the Delaware Valley Bicycle Club) goes close to there. I did the 50 mile version a couple years ago, it's a really nice ride.

Unfortunately I don't have a cue sheet, or even much recollection of the route. Maybe you could find it by googling, or maybe someone else here has more info on it.

That's a GREAT area for cycling, but it's interspersed with a lot of high volume traffic roads, so a little planning is good.
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey
Old 11-07-08, 04:07 PM
Brillig
Bananaed

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might be it:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ywine-50-Route

Either way, quite a few good looking rides on that site for Chadds Ford.

https://www.bikely.com/listpaths/coun...160/city/14347
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey
Old 11-12-08, 10:13 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
I'm going to be visiting in-laws in Chadds Ford, PA (West Chester county, I believe), and I'm taking my bike for an early morning ride while I'm there. Anybody from the area have advice on where to ride?

They live near rt 52 (Kennet Pike) between Longwood and Winterthur gardens. I was thinking of riding into Wilmington, but it looks like 52 turns into a pretty busy road. Looking at bikely.com, a lot of people seem to ride on rte 100/South Creek Road, so now I'm thinking I'll head out that way.

Any advice on where to go/what to avoid/where to cross route 1 would be greatly appreciated!
Starting from your location, a nice out and back bike ride could be had simply by following PA Bike Route L: https://www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/tour_routes.htm

It will take you across Route 1 on Creek Road. Just follow the little signs.

Most of this bike route is quite narrow backroads that are all but empty during the early mornings and provide for a very nice ride. The beginning of the route is relatively flat except for going from Rt. 52 to Creek Road which is all downhill. Once you get further north (between West Chester and Downingtown), it starts to get hilly and never quits (I've only biked the first 60 miles of it but having driven out past there, it won't get any flatter).

Once you get past Downingtown, and even before that point, the scenery is just awesome even this time of year. Just bring your climbing gears so you have the energy to make it back home when you do decide to turn around.
Old 11-14-08, 09:33 AM
same time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

Looks like I've got plenty of options. I think I'll bring a map with me and leave early, traffic on those narrow no-shoulder roads kind of freaks me out.

All my riding lately has been urban commuting, this is going to be a nice change of pace!
Old 11-14-08, 04:11 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
Awesome, thanks!

Looks like I've got plenty of options. I think I'll bring a map with me and leave early, traffic on those narrow no-shoulder roads kind of freaks me out.

All my riding lately has been urban commuting, this is going to be a nice change of pace!
If you don't normally, get used to claiming lots of space on the road. My RIGHTmost position is generally the right tire track. I'm usually a little left of center and will drift over a bit to the right when being passed. It may differ where you are from, but no one around here has any problem passing you by crossing a double yellow line. Most will do it courteously but there's always a few ignorant folk. Be prepared by leaving yourself extra space on the right in case you need to move to gain some clearance. Due note that the edges of PA roads tend to be littered with potholes so riding near the edge is really not recommended for any amount of time.