Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shorts causing welts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shorts causing welts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 12:27 PM
diverguy
No longer just a beginner

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorts causing welts?

The silicone or rubber strips at the bottom of the legs of my wife's Cannondale bike shorts leave a series of welts on her thighs that last about a day or so. They don't itch or burn; the skin feels normal to her but it's pinkish and puffy. She also feels nothing unusual in that area while wearing the shorts. At first, one would logically assume she has an allergy to whatever rubbery compound is used to make the strips but she only has the welts on the tops of her thighs and only right where the strips were. The sides and the backs of her shorts also have the strips, of course, but her thighs have have no welts in those areas at all. Very strange. Has anyone encountered this before? Do you know what causes it and how to prevent it?
Old 08-08-10, 12:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Probably an allergic or irritant reaction from the rubber/silicone.

I suggest she try riding with the bottom of the shorts cuffed up a cm so the rubber is not touching her skin
Old 08-08-10, 01:25 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Latex allergy?
Old 08-08-10, 02:12 PM
thomast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the same sort of reaction from a new pair of Performance bike shorts. It's only on the top of my thighs, not the back. It doesn't hurt, it's just odd looking for a few hours post ride. I don't have latex allergies...I'm not too worried about it. I'm hoping it'll stop as the shorts break in.
Old 08-08-10, 05:20 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thomast
I get the same sort of reaction from a new pair of Performance bike shorts. It's only on the top of my thighs, not the back. It doesn't hurt, it's just odd looking for a few hours post ride. I don't have latex allergies...I'm not too worried about it. I'm hoping it'll stop as the shorts break in.
This is exactly my experience too. I am glad this came up as I thought I may be the only one. I haven't had it with some other shorts either. Kinda weird.
Old 08-08-10, 05:36 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of this stuff is silicon these days. The problem may be too hot weather.
Old 08-18-13, 08:50 PM
ekg72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diverguy
The silicone or rubber strips at the bottom of the legs of my wife's Cannondale bike shorts leave a series of welts on her thighs that last about a day or so. They don't itch or burn; the skin feels normal to her but it's pinkish and puffy. She also feels nothing unusual in that area while wearing the shorts. At first, one would logically assume she has an allergy to whatever rubbery compound is used to make the strips but she only has the welts on the tops of her thighs and only right where the strips were. The sides and the backs of her shorts also have the strips, of course, but her thighs have have no welts in those areas at all. Very strange. Has anyone encountered this before? Do you know what causes it and how to prevent it?
I have been having the exact same problem lately, and it got worse this past bike ride (larger 'rash/welts' and it has lasted two days so far, compared to going away by the next morning). Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I am going on a long bike tour soon (5 days) and don't want this to turn into something worse...
Old 08-18-13, 11:05 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before wearing the shorts, rub skin lotion liberally in the area where the elastic will contact the skin. Don't forget that it will shift during riding so spread the lotion out good. Use LOTS of lotion.
Old 08-19-13, 02:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Before wearing the shorts, rub skin lotion liberally in the area where the elastic will contact the skin. Don't forget that it will shift during riding so spread the lotion out good. Use LOTS of lotion.
You might want to be careful with this advice. Lotion can make it worse.
Old 08-19-13, 03:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
If you think the problem may be a true medical allergy, try applying Afrin (or generic version) nasal decongestant spray on the area BEFORE putting on the shorts. I think that generically it is oxy-metazoline hydrochloride. Readily available over the counter everywhere. The chemistry is very similar to epinephrine (same as adrenaline) which is used to reverse the effects of allergins on the immune system.

Epinephrine is carried by severely allergic individuals for emergency injection in a device called an "epi-pen", a type of auto injector and used to reverse anaphylaxis . And those who have had allergy testing done may remember epinephrine (adrenaline) being rubbed into their skin following the test to relieve the itching at the "stick" test sites.

Because of allergies to medical tape and bandage adhesives in my family we pretreat the skin with Afrin before applying them and find it very effective in preventing a reaction.
Old 08-19-13, 05:41 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it was truly an allergic reaction, I'd think it would occur in all places the silicon touches the skin. My guess is it a combination of heat/sweating and possibly the constant pulling on the skin as the silicon does grip well. You could try putting on a very thin barrier of a chamois cream or diaper rash cream to protect the skin from this minor abrasion and constant exposure to sweat. I'd give that a shot and if not it, just use shorts that don't have the silicone bands on the legs.
Old 08-19-13, 05:45 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
You might want to be careful with this advice. Lotion can make it worse.
Where there are no welts yet? You're not making sense.
Old 08-19-13, 05:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Where there are no welts yet? You're not making sense.
Yes ... where there are no welts yet.

If I apply creams (including sunscreen) and then go out for a ride on a hot day, I break out in huge red welts. I suspect the creams mix with sweat and clog my pores.

I have found one sunscreen that I can wear without that reaction.

And ... that could be the issue the OP's wife is having. If she is only experiencing welts around the leg bands, perhaps she is applying sunscreen up under the leg band.
Old 08-19-13, 06:00 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may be allergic to the rubber material..............or just have very sensitive skin to the pulling that strip will do to your legs.
Old 08-19-13, 06:02 AM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I get this too when I am riding all day in the hot weather. Sometime the welts turn into fluid-filled blisters. Not allergic to latex or anything like that that I am aware of. Haven't figured out how to prevent it yet.
Old 08-19-13, 06:14 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by jerseyJim
Yeah I get this too when I am riding all day in the hot weather. Sometime the welts turn into fluid-filled blisters. Not allergic to latex or anything like that that I am aware of. Haven't figured out how to prevent it yet.
See my suggestion above regarding Afrin.
Old 08-19-13, 06:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jerseyJim
For me, it is a mild allergy to lycra (not latex). I have similar reactions to nylons on hot days.

After much experimentation, I have discovered ...

-- I need to wear shorts with a blend of lycra with something else like polyester or cotton.
-- On hot days, sometimes it is better to wear looser shorts.
-- Sunscreen mixed with sweat makes it worse ... I have to wash off my legs every few hours, and I've discovered only one sunscreen that doesn't cause that reaction.
-- Post ride, bags of ice on each thigh helps to reduce the redness, swelling, and pain.
Old 08-19-13, 06:29 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a latex patch test...find a latex glove cut a piece, fold it and tape it to the skin with a surgical tape or a bandaid, leave it for hours...see if there are any adverse reaction...I sell Medical supplies and we have about phased out latex but the MFG tells us this is the best way to see if you are reactive to the latex Proteins...
Old 08-19-13, 07:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Do a latex patch test...find a latex glove cut a piece, fold it and tape it to the skin with a surgical tape or a bandaid, leave it for hours...see if there are any adverse reaction...I sell Medical supplies and we have about phased out latex but the MFG tells us this is the best way to see if you are reactive to the latex Proteins...
That is great advice except the elastic bands on cycling shorts aren't "latex", i.e. not natural rubber. They are mostly silicone rubber as said elsewhere in this thread. A patch test for natural rubber sensitivity might be instructive, but it more than likely has nothing to do with this problem.
Old 08-19-13, 09:25 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are all leg cuffs latex from every manufacturer????
Old 08-19-13, 09:31 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That is great advice except the elastic bands on cycling shorts aren't "latex", i.e. not natural rubber. They are mostly silicone rubber as said elsewhere in this thread. A patch test for natural rubber sensitivity might be instructive, but it more than likely has nothing to do with this problem.
The gripper is not latex but the thread is. I know the problem well and it mostly shows in hot sweaty wx.
Old 08-19-13, 09:33 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Are all leg cuffs latex from every manufacturer????
No. Some companies like Sugoi and Gore do not use "grippers" but an expandable material that sits on your leg. It also does not leave a mark on your leg, post-ride.

Not everyone likes the feel preferring that grip on your leg.
Old 08-19-13, 10:03 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the material must me causing the reaction either by allergic or friction...
Old 08-19-13, 10:21 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
If it was truly an allergic reaction, I'd think it would occur in all places the silicon touches the skin. My guess is it a combination of heat/sweating and possibly the constant pulling on the skin as the silicon does grip well. You could try putting on a very thin barrier of a chamois cream or diaper rash cream to protect the skin from this minor abrasion and constant exposure to sweat. I'd give that a shot and if not it, just use shorts that don't have the silicone bands on the legs.
Not necessarily, if there are different levels of friction/movement at different locations.
Old 08-19-13, 10:51 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^I agree and that was my point. If it was an allergic reaction it would more likely occur around the whole band. Due to the pulling of the skin in areas on top of the thigh, I'd think it more likely the skin would be stressed a bit, possibly causing minor tissue issues. A thin layer of chamois or diaper rash cream applied to the top of the thigh might prevent that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.