Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 08:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose cog
Good afternoon

After a long search I recently purchased this Bianchi pista/track frame. I am now looking to try to establish what model the frame is and what tubing it could be. The BB is Italian with 27mm or 27.2 mm seatpin diameter.

would also like to establish the date it was made. Any assistance is appreciated.

The serial number on the BB looks to be E . 007

Here are some pics.
Your location complicates matters somewhat, as Bianchi specs and model names often varied from country to country. Had you been in the USA, I would have said that this was a Bianchi Pista , circa 1985, with a Bianchi Special by Columbus tubeset. Those are Campagnolo track ends and the last year for them, at least on USA track models, was 1986, being replaced by Gipiemme for 1987. The few 1980s Bianchi track models that I've seen do not use the same format as the road bicycles and I believe this sample represents 1985.
Old 03-17-21, 04:40 AM
Loose cog

Bikes: Colnago Mexico, Holdsworth, Zini, Alpina, Gemini, Colnago Master Pista, Colnago Master xLight, C40, Dream Lux, Vitus Dural 797, Vitus Carbone 3 KAS team replica, DHC, Viner, Vitesse, Alan, Bianchi, Cinelli, Paletti, Basso, Benotto, Dancelli, FW Evans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Apology, I should have mentioned that I am in South Africa and the Bianchi would have been imported from Italy.

Thank you for your input T-Mar, it is always appreciated.
Old 03-19-21, 12:16 PM
Leonie

Bikes: One beautfiul bianchi (additional information pending)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, I found your photographs and they support 1986. A 1971-1972 would not have water bottle bosses, an investment cast seat stay bridge for recessed brakes or short Campagnolo dropouts. All these features are very hard to change without great cost. The most modern feature are the Campagnolo non-Portacatena, short dropouts, which makes it no earlier than mid-1980s. The 'B' within a circle embossing on the seat stay caps carried through into the late 1980s.

Components also support the era with an aero style crankset (introduced early 1980s), post CPSC (1978+) Campagnolo components, 1978-1987 style Columbus decal and Modolo Speedy brakeset. It looks like the rear wheel, or at least the quick release skewer is a replacement.

The x.x segment of the serial number is the date code, with the numeral indicating the calendar year. Sometimes, we see some European models with two numerals. Regardless, since both are '6', it indicates 1986 manufacture, as frame features indicate it is not from the previous decade.

What is difficult to identify is the model, as specs and model names were often market specific and I have little knowledge of the German market models. However, the mixed Italian components are typical of Bianchi mid-range models of this era.
Thanks a lot for your knowledgeable input T-mar!
The serial number identification has certainly helped narrow down the process, now to learn about the European bicycle market of the 80's.
Any suggestions on how to get started on that?
Old 03-23-21, 12:16 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Recent Acquisition

Hello all, first post so apologies if a little dull. I recently acquired a frame that purports to be a Bianchi and the only other i.d. is that of the (rather hideous, in my opinion) Caurus paint job. Why the obvious needed its own decals is beyond me. The only stampings that I can find are '58' and 'F.301' , both on the bottom bracket.
Until about 30 years ago, I put in many thousands of miles here in the U.K. on a variety of decent machinery so I have been out of the loop for some time and worked in inches rather than cm (odd furrin language that it be).
Any info as to model, year and original equipment would be most appreciated. I would post pictures but the site will not allow me to and, when I tried to, it lost the text too. Rats!!
Cheers.
Old 03-25-21, 04:05 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Addendum

Having previously hunted all over for clues, I rather gave up on thinking that it might be something even half decent and thought that I would just make it into a usable parts-bin hack.
Further poking of the mass of quivering, gelatinous and often baffling information has thrown up, for a number of reasons, that it is most likely to be a Proto from around 1990 so. Odd that Bianchi would bung the same paint job to their decent machinery as well as their lower-end jobs but, being married to an Italian, I know that, as Tennyson informed: "Ours is not to reason why".
Time to hunt down s/h Campag Record parts & Delta brakes.
Anybody spare a tenner? Will dance for money, knot sausages or clean vacuum cleaners with tongue, no legal job refused.
Old 03-25-21, 04:41 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by OlderNotWiser
...Any info as to model, year and original equipment would be most appreciated. I would post pictures but the site will not allow me to and, when I tried to, it lost the text too. Rats!!
Cheers.
Well, I found the photos but all four are close-ups that do little to aid in identification.
Link to photos; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/536358
Old 03-27-21, 05:26 AM
shipjohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unknown Bianchi

Hello. I'm new to this forum and not really sure how it works, but I have an oldish Bianchi Eros I'd like to find more information about - i.e. how old is it and how much is it worth. It's been sitting unused in my dad's (dry) garage for decades - I guess since the 80s or 90s. It was bought in the US and has all its original parts - it has not been used very much - my guess is it has done less than 1000 miles in total and so it's nearly new condition, although i think it used to have its gear shifters on the down tube which have been moved to the handlebars at some point... Please can someone help? I can provide more details and pictures but i'm not sure what's relevant. Many thanks in advance...
Old 03-27-21, 07:52 AM
sufficient_d

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bianchi Serial Number Help

Hello all: assistance with Bianchi identification. Most interested in year and tubing such as Columbus SLX.

Numbers appearing on bottom bracket: 7F 5782-- is otherwise typical non-descript celeste Bianchi. There is no tubing type sticker (restored)
Old 03-28-21, 06:26 AM
shipjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Eros ID serial number

Originally Posted by shipjohn
Hello. I'm new to this forum and not really sure how it works, but I have an oldish Bianchi Eros I'd like to find more information about - i.e. how old is it and how much is it worth. It's been sitting unused in my dad's (dry) garage for decades - I guess since the 80s or 90s. It was bought in the US and has all its original parts - it has not been used very much - my guess is it has done less than 1000 miles in total and so it's nearly new condition, although i think it used to have its gear shifters on the down tube which have been moved to the handlebars at some point... Please can someone help? I can provide more details and pictures but i'm not sure what's relevant. Many thanks in advance...
The serial number appears to be H5M0 8639
Old 03-28-21, 07:26 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by sufficient_d
Hello all: assistance with Bianchi identification. Most interested in year and tubing such as Columbus SLX.

Numbers appearing on bottom bracket: 7F 5782-- is otherwise typical non-descript celeste Bianchi. There is no tubing type sticker (restored)
The serial number is indicative of a 1987, Italian manufactured frame. I see that you are located in the USA. so it likely an American market model and therefore no lower than midrange. However, that still leaves a wide range range of models and about four possible tubesets. Photos would help to determine the info which you seek.
Old 03-28-21, 07:52 AM
T-Mar

The serial number appears to be H5M0 8639
The serial number format is consistent with Hodaka of Taiwan, a known Bianchi source during the very late 1980s and into the 1990s. It indicates very late 1995 manufacture, so it should be a 1996 model, which was equipped with Campagnolo Mirage and available in dark blue or red

Value is highly dependent on condition, so we'd need to see photographs. There is a separate C&V forum for appraisals.
Old 03-28-21, 11:46 AM
shipjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much for this. I can confirm that it's equipped with Campagnolo Mirage, but it's celeste green - not dark blue or red? And unfortunately as a newbie to the forum I am not allowed to post photos?
Old 03-28-21, 02:23 PM
T-Mar

Thanks very much for this. I can confirm that it's equipped with Campagnolo Mirage, but it's celeste green - not dark blue or red? And unfortunately as a newbie to the forum I am not allowed to post photos?
Actually, you can and have posted photos . They upload to a gallery album under your user name until you can 10 posts. Still, other members can view them , if they so desire. Here's the link to your gallery album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/20980846

The colour difference is almost certainly market related. After you mentioned it, I checked for your location, which it turns out is in the UK. Most forum members are from the USA and the colours I stated were for the USA market. Unfortunately, I don't 1996 UK Bianchi literature but colour differences between markets are very common.

Your location will also complicate an appraisal, as market selling prices can vary significantly from country to country. I'm not sure how many members would be comfortable offering an appraisal for a bicycle in the UK. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable suggesting a selling price.
Old 03-29-21, 04:13 AM
shipjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, thanks for all the info - that's great. The bike is actually from the US originally - my dad brought it back to the UK with him - though this doesn't tally with your explanation about colour?
Old 03-29-21, 06:47 AM
T-Mar

Again, thanks for all the info - that's great. The bike is actually from the US originally - my dad brought it back to the UK with him - though this doesn't tally with your explanation about colour?
Yes, you did mention in your original post that the bicycle had been bought in the USA.

I went back and double checked my USA reference material. The Eros was offered in forest green and red in 1995 and dark blue and red in 1996. The frame was definitely celeste in the pictures, so I went back to them, to see if I could pick up any other clues. First, I noticed that the cassette was 9 speed. Mirage with nine speed wasn't introduced until the 199 model year. Next, the Mirage components were black and that didn't occur until the 2004 model year. Finally, the tubeset, is Reynolds 631, which isn't mentioned in the specs until 2005. The specs change to 10 speed for 2007, so we're left with 2005 and 2006, both of which had a celeste option. Both years are spec'd almost identically, with the major difference being MAVIC rims in 2005 and Alex rims in 2006.

So it appears the initial assessment was off by one decade, which is easy to do with serial numbers and why photographs are so important. An overall photograph of the bicycle would have made this readily apparent via other features, such as a threadless stem and headset. Also, the reference to it originally having down tube shift levers, was a situation more likely to be 1990s than 2000s. According to the specs, both the 2005 and 2006 had Ergopower brifters as OEM.

Finally, the earlier reference to Hodaka manufacture may be erroneous. While they were a known Bianchi source in the late 1980s and early to mid-1990s, I can't verify that they were still used in the mid-2000s. The similarity of S/N format could be coincidence. However, if the country of origin decal is Taiwan, then they would still be the leading candidate.
Old 03-30-21, 05:24 AM
shipjohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all this info and your time. I'm very impressed! Pretty sure it's the 2006 model with the Alex rims - apologies for unintentionally leading you down any garden paths. And yes, it has a sticker that says it was made in Taiwan. I've tried adding a picture of the full bike to my gallery for completeness/posterity. Many thanks again!
Old 03-30-21, 08:41 AM
Deadhead72

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
86 Rekord 920??

Can someone help confirm this is an 86 Rekord 920? Shimano 600 groupset.

Old 03-30-21, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Deadhead72
Can someone help confirm this is an 86 Rekord 920? Shimano 600 groupset.
The serial number indicates a 1987 model manufactured in late 1986. Curiously, it's missing the CdM decal normally found on the 1987 models. The New 600EX SIS rear deraileurs were 1986-1987 model years, so the timeframe matches.

The Rekord 920 was a European model. The 1987 versions that I've seen have used Formula One tubing and Campagnolo Victory groups. The subject bicycle has Formula Two tubing which is one grade lower. I don't know the European model but Formula Two tubing and New 600EX components were used on the 1987, USA market, Bianchi Limited.
Old 04-01-21, 10:05 PM
Nomad_HTX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi strada lx

Trying to find more info from my serial H9A24086
Old 04-02-21, 07:06 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Nomad_HTX
Trying to find more info from my serial H9A24086
Your bicycle was built in Taiwan by a company called Hodaka. It should be a 1989 model.
Old 04-04-21, 03:59 AM
smhub1

Bikes: Cervelo R3. Campagnolo Chorus. Fulcrum Racing Zero.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello BikeForums Family,

I need help identifying a frame. I’ve spent the past few days trying to do so but my findings cancel each other out. Any help any of you can provide is much appreciated.

Purchase:
The bike was bought in Melbourne (Australia) in late 1997. From memory I was told it was of Italian origin, which is supported by the Made in Italy sticker encircling the bottom of the seat tube. I recall there was a groupset change, but it was between two Veloce groupsets - the 1997 8-Speed version and the new 1998 9-Speed alternative - and not between different Campagnolo tier offerings. So at this point I don’t know if I purchased a bike or spec’d a frame and groupset. And, unfortunately, I don’t have the purchase invoice.

Tubing:
Dedacciai. Zero Tre. Tubi Alleggeriti A. Sezione Variabile. 25 Cr Mo4. Micro Alloyed. Engineered for Bianchi.

Headset, Stem & Bars:
Miche Headset. 3TTT Chromix stem branded for Bianchi. 3TTT Podium bars.

Best Guess:
Using the Bicycle Blue Book website, my first guess is either a 1997 Bianchi Eros (2) or Campione d’Italia. The groupsets don’t line up, as both come with Mirage, but the headset, stem and bars match perfectly. Online photos, however, show both bikes with their names along the top tube. My bike has no model designation. Instead it features ‘Bianchi’ on both sides near the headset, and a signature on the drive side near the seat post.

Serial Number:
My bike has serial 59E2010C which suggests build year of 1992, but the seat tube features two Dedacciai stickers with the company's current logo and, as Deda wasn’t founded/rebranded until 1993, the frame therefore had to be built thereafter.

Additional Information:
I’ve squinted at the 1990s Bianchi catalogs over at 2Velo’s website but I’m guessing their Japanese origin has little relevance to bikes and frames produced in Italy and shipped to Australia. So I offer the following additional information:
  • There’s no Bianchi logo or branding on top of the bottom bracket and brake mounts.
  • Brakes are Campagnolo Veloce [1998] dual pivots.
  • Cabling is internal along the top tube to the rear brake.
  • Fork is painted celeste green, but appears to be chromed underneath thanks to a few scratches. It has Bianchi branding facing forwards on both sides and sticker on side saying “Cr Mo Fork. Bianchi Reparto Corse.”
  • Chromed rear triangle. Note drop outs also chromed, not painted celeste green.
  • Sticker on seat tube denotes “Made in Italy.”
As I'm not allowed to post photos in my reply or link to external websites yet, images of my Bianchi are contained in My Albums - Bianchi.

Last edited by smhub1; 04-04-21 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 10:09 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by smhub1
Hello BikeForums Family,

I need help identifying a frame. I’ve spent the past few days trying to do so but my findings cancel each other out. Any help any of you can provide is much appreciated.

Purchase:
The bike was bought in Melbourne (Australia) in late 1997. From memory I was told it was of Italian origin, which is supported by the Made in Italy sticker encircling the bottom of the seat tube. I recall there was a groupset change, but it was between two Veloce groupsets - the 1997 8-Speed version and the new 1998 9-Speed alternative - and not between different Campagnolo tier offerings. So at this point I don’t know if I purchased a bike or spec’d a frame and groupset. And, unfortunately, I don’t have the purchase invoice.

Tubing:
Dedacciai. Zero Tre. Tubi Alleggeriti A. Sezione Variabile. 25 Cr Mo4. Micro Alloyed. Engineered for Bianchi.

Headset, Stem & Bars:
Miche Headset. 3TTT Chromix stem branded for Bianchi. 3TTT Podium bars.

Best Guess:
Using the Bicycle Blue Book website, my first guess is either a 1997 Bianchi Eros (2) or Campione d’Italia. The groupsets don’t line up, as both come with Mirage, but the headset, stem and bars match perfectly. Online photos, however, show both bikes with their names along the top tube. My bike has no model designation. Instead it features ‘Bianchi’ on both sides near the headset, and a signature on the drive side near the seat post.

Serial Number:
My bike has serial 59E2010C which suggests build year of 1992, but the seat tube features two Dedacciai stickers with the company's current logo and, as Deda wasn’t founded/rebranded until 1993, the frame therefore had to be built thereafter.

Additional Information:
I’ve squinted at the 1990s Bianchi catalogs over at 2Velo’s website but I’m guessing their Japanese origin has little relevance to bikes and frames produced in Italy and shipped to Australia. So I offer the following additional information:
  • There’s no Bianchi logo or branding on top of the bottom bracket and brake mounts.
  • Brakes are Campagnolo Veloce [1998] dual pivots.
  • Cabling is internal along the top tube to the rear brake.
  • Fork is painted celeste green, but appears to be chromed underneath thanks to a few scratches. It has Bianchi branding facing forwards on both sides and sticker on side saying “Cr Mo Fork. Bianchi Reparto Corse.”
  • Chromed rear triangle. Note drop outs also chromed, not painted celeste green.
  • Sticker on seat tube denotes “Made in Italy.”
As I'm not allowed to post photos in my reply or link to external websites yet, images of my Bianchi are contained in My Albums - Bianchi.
Welcome to the forums. My initial impression, based on the serial number, was a 1995-1996 model. It's definitely no older than a 1993 model, based on World Championship decal, and no newer than 1997, based on it originally being 8 speed Veloce.

Bianchi model names and specs can vary from country. I'm familiar primarily with North American models and it's similar to our Bianchi Veloce of the era.

Link to photo album; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/73780
Old 04-06-21, 12:48 AM
smhub1

Bikes: Cervelo R3. Campagnolo Chorus. Fulcrum Racing Zero.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for such a prompt reply T-Mar.
Old 04-14-21, 11:24 AM
ckunstadt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!

Could I get some help identifying my Bianchi? I purchased it a few years ago from the second owner. I originally believed it was a Nuovo Racing but, upon further research I've become less convinced.

The serial number (under a white, plastic cable guide) is A374004

There are no other numbers stamped anywhere on the frame.

The size is 62cm but it's not shown anywhere

Distinguishing features are:

Campagnolo Victory components (all except rear hub and known-to-be-replaced seat post)

Italmanubri Bar and stem? (no marking on visible part of stem) shaped like ITM

Mavic Module 3 rims (silver)

Made in Italy decal on downtube below bike shop sticker (from Cupertino, California)

Original (likely) navy blue cable housing (ribbed, vintage style)

Original (likely) blue handlebar ribbon - Benotto style

Black suede saddle with Bianchi logotype on sides

Frame is solid Celeste green. No chrome. Navy blue Bianchi decals with the mid-eighties style "wedge" mark

The frame has pantographed "B" (in a circle) on seat stays and the fork has some minimal pantography in navy blue - nothing more

Is that enough?

My research makes me think it's a 1984 bike... with the navy blue cable housing and the blue bar tape. And the Campy Victory components appeared in 1984. The 1984 Bianchi catalog scans I've seen, don't show Victory components. Perhaps mine is a mid-year revision spec?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 04-14-21, 12:07 PM
chrisstamps1962

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckunstadt
Hello!

Could I get some help identifying my Bianchi? I purchased it a few years ago from the second owner. I originally believed it was a Nuovo Racing but, upon further research I've become less convinced.

The serial number (under a white, plastic cable guide) is A374004

There are no other numbers stamped anywhere on the frame.

The size is 62cm but it's not shown anywhere

Distinguishing features are:

Campagnolo Victory components (all except rear hub and known-to-be-replaced seat post)

Italmanubri Bar and stem? (no marking on visible part of stem) shaped like ITM

Mavic Module 3 rims (silver)

Made in Italy decal on downtube below bike shop sticker (from Cupertino, California)

Original (likely) navy blue cable housing (ribbed, vintage style)

Original (likely) blue handlebar ribbon - Benotto style

Black suede saddle with Bianchi logotype on sides

Frame is solid Celeste green. No chrome. Navy blue Bianchi decals with the mid-eighties style "wedge" mark

The frame has pantographed "B" (in a circle) on seat stays and the fork has some minimal pantography in navy blue - nothing more

Is that enough?

My research makes me think it's a 1984 bike... with the navy blue cable housing and the blue bar tape. And the Campy Victory components appeared in 1984. The 1984 Bianchi catalog scans I've seen, don't show Victory components. Perhaps mine is a mid-year revision spec?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Hi 1984 bikes seem to start with a 4 something like 461*** or 48*** so I think it would be earlier than that as a 1982 model starts 2A**** check there not a number before the letter
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.