Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever forget your water?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Forgotten Your Water For a Ride?
Yes
69.51%
No
25.61%
Water!? I don't need water-I'm a camel.
4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Ever forget your water?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 09:47 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the first time was last Saturday. I stepped out of the garage to ride to the club ride. It seemed a bit cool so I took off my camelbak and went to get my vest. Was about half a mile down the street when I realized it. I went back, and was still able to make it to the club ride on time.
Old 03-31-15, 10:10 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Fortunately, no (not yet anyway....)
Old 03-31-15, 12:27 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I don't understand this thread at all...

I look over to the team car, the directeur sportif leans out and says, "de quoi avez-vous besoin?"

I shout "j'ai soif" and "bidon, s'il vous plait"

Then team riders bring me a drink. Isn't that how you do it?
Old 03-31-15, 12:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I don't understand this thread at all...

I look over to the team car, the directeur sportif leans out and says, "de quoi avez-vous besoin?"

I shout "j'ai soif" and "bidon, s'il vous plait"

Then team riders bring me a drink. Isn't that how you do it?
Not at all. I have Vestal Virgins staged out along my route every mile or so (closer on climbs). They have water and snacks should I need. Worst case scenario I might have to wait a few minutes if between staging areas.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-09-15, 06:23 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve forgotten my water bottle, but it doesn’t impact me like it does some individuals, as I don’t get all that thirsty even though I push at a good pace. For instance, on my 60-mile rides, I only bring a 20-ounce bottle of water and I typically don’t finish it by the time I return home. It’s rare when I feel parched.

My friend needs to drink about every 15 miles or so, but I don’t drink even though we’ve stopped so he can. He often comments, “How do manage to pedal so far without drinking.” I’ve told him how, but it tends to go in one ear and exit his other. Firstly, he hasn’t learned to control his breathing. Rapid breathing will definitely quicken the rate of dehydration.

If I told you my next trick, you likely wouldn’t believe me…(but it works for me)
Old 04-10-15, 01:10 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I sweat tons, so it's a serious problem when I have forgotten a few times over the years. It's more common to run into stretches where there's no water on a route, and maybe forget to fill-up more Constantly. The "funniest" forgetting experience was when I had to ride across a large part of Chicago to a suburban shop on my brand new bike to have something installed. I was so enchanted with, captivated by, my new bike that I paid no attention to hydration. When I arrived at the shop, it hit me and I had to drop and sit against a wall and get near-emergency water. The shop guys scolded and ridiculed and laughed at me as I deserved, and it took me 20-30 minutes to recover. Part of what they laughed at was the empty, fancy bottle cages I had asked them to special order for the build.

Last edited by BiciMan; 04-10-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 01:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yes I have, but it's more common for me to take the water but forget to drink. Oh, I'm okay for longer rides, but for the typical 25-milers in the evening I'm usually so busy I don't have time to reach behind my back and grab my bottle, and I'm not on the bike long enough for dry-mouth to remind me. When that happens, I usually drain the bottle at the end of the ride, though.