Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do any of you restore and sell C&V bikes for side money?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do any of you restore and sell C&V bikes for side money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 04:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Oddly enough as the market was shifting availability of bikes declined as well. That I cant figure out. Most of my bike were purchased from individuals not in the market, they were just moving old bikes. Why people are no longer selling bikes is beyond me ...

...I have almost all of them now. Once I have truly cornered the market, you will rue the day you sold in a downturn, sir.
Old 11-10-17, 05:05 PM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I self-fund the hobby by occasionally buying an under-priced bike and parting it out; keeping some goodies for my next build. It may seem like a sin to some but the bikes aren't worth restoring whereas the individual components keep other C&V rides going. Kind of like an organ donor program.
Old 11-10-17, 05:07 PM
jpaschall

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^^ I was just about to say this. I will sell stuff occasionally to fund some other component or something bike related.
Old 11-10-17, 05:29 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Nope!

That would turn a fun hobby into a job, but I too will sell a few things I remove from bikes, that are too good for the recycling bin. Usually really cheap, so it departs quickly. Tim
Old 11-10-17, 06:59 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I sold 4 bikes this year...none for a profit, and only one bike at a loss....the only bike I've bought new in the last 20 years.
The sales funded some really nice frames.
Old 11-10-17, 07:00 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
To you it may seem like it's not worth the trouble but as I indicated above I'm in it for the history, not the money.
Sorry my comment was meant to be enthusiastic and not disparaging. That's a really impressive work list, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're quite a craftsman, fighting the good fight against the dko-flippers.
Old 11-10-17, 07:38 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have almost all of them now. Once I have truly cornered the market, you will rue the day you sold in a downturn, sir.

Buy on the way up...sell on the way down.

Sucker.

j/k
Old 11-10-17, 07:40 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
In all seriousness...I'd like to find a nice all SR Italian. There's nothing out there...
Old 11-10-17, 08:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
I do it when i find bikes that fit my parameters.

I dont mind not making much as my time is not worth anything. I fix up bikes as a hobby and when i have free time, usually at night.

- The paint needs to be in good condition as visual is often a priority for CL buyers.
- i need to buy it for a price that makes sense. Add in expenses and if the $ makes sense ill get it.

My local CL has been turrble for months now when it comes to good options to refurbish. I want $40-100 bikes, typically. All new consumables and sell them for $100-225. Profit $15-100.
Old 11-10-17, 08:26 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Much harder to make money flipping anything anymore, not just bikes.

The days of buying things cheap from unwitting sellers are long gone.

Everyone looks up everything nowadays and prices reflect this.
Old 11-10-17, 08:30 PM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Nice try, IRS.
I laughed!
Old 11-10-17, 08:35 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
+1
Old 11-10-17, 09:17 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Back in the late 90's early 20's my buddy Psycho Billy made some serious cash buying and parting out high end road bikes . He would only deal in high end , he was a excellent mechanic and he was a master with the computer and photography . He built a nice reputation on customer satisfaction . He did the same thing with vintage motocross bikes . He did it all on the Bay , but then he started getting competition . That he did not mind because he had a following . The thing that killed it was some new guys pulling all the tricks to screw him .
Old 11-10-17, 09:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Much harder to make money flipping anything anymore, not just bikes.

The days of buying things cheap from unwitting sellers are long gone.

Everyone looks up everything nowadays and prices reflect this.
+10 My wife and I have been amateur pickers for about 15 years now. Ten years ago, it was easy. Bargains everywhere. Eventually, I watched as pickers that only bought toys, or electronics, or whatever, started wading into our areas. Some camped out an hour before the best thrift stores opened. Garage sales were mobbed too. At the same time, market pricing has softened up on everything, not just bikes. So the cost to buy stuff has gone up a lot, supply has gone down, and profits were squeezed. Fortunately it has always just been a hobby....
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 11-10-17, 09:33 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I started out with the intention of ddoing this a couple of years ago --- figured id buy up any available mid range bike that was under a certain price range just to build up my parts stash, then id make enough on ebay sales to fund my next new something or other .

3 years later, I have boxes and boxes of fair to middlin' components lined up and neatly organized, along with piles of framesets that I pray I have time to list and sell one day to at least break even . The frames are likely worthless --- some people like old Cannondales, but when you can find one complete for $175 at times, who wants to build up an old frame -- the rest are things like old Giants, uninteresting Treks and the like that I was buying to snag the nice 105sc and 600 tri color parts kits off of to either sell or for future builds

The time component is the kicker for me.

My last 2 resto-mod vintage frame build ups I did for personal use , (A DeRosa and a nice Colnago) - I brought the parts boxes to my mechanic and had him built the things up -- I knew they would never get done otherwise - and they turned out awesome
Old 11-10-17, 09:34 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
My last really good flip was July 2015 and it was a whopper. 8 or 9 years ago I had more free time and flipping paid for bikes. This past summer I picked up 2 Bridgestone RB-1's far below FMV. Forgot to check the 1 thing I always do and 1 had a stuck seat post that I had to "melt" out with lye. The other was tweaked and didn't track straight. I might have made $100 between the 2 not counting probably 30 hours into that stuck seat post.

When I see a really nice Ironman sit on CL for a week at $200 flipping is over except for the occasional $500 bike that gets parted out for 8-900 bux to keep expendables on my small stable.
Old 11-10-17, 09:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
All of them...

Originally Posted by miamijim
In all seriousness...I'd like to find a nice all SR Italian. There's nothing out there...
Old 11-10-17, 10:07 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sloar
I'm horrible at it, but I still enjoy it. I call it recycling my money, plus I feel I'm doing good in the world. I buy a neglected bike, clean it and make it pretty. Plan to keep it, then find something else I want. So I sell my current purchase at little or no profit to buy another. It's a viscous cycle, but it's fun. It's all about finding the next one.
a viscous cycle? where are you getting these bikes, honeybees?
Old 11-10-17, 11:22 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Sorry my comment was meant to be enthusiastic and not disparaging. That's a really impressive work list, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're quite a craftsman, fighting the good fight against the dko-flippers.
Oh, I didn't really take your comment as overt impugnment and I certainly didn't take offense. But in the past it's been suggested on this site and in real life that both my motives and my methods are worthy of ridicule and these days I seem to default to a state of mild defensiveness. There just don't seem to be many whose end goals line up with my own. It's one of the reasons why my post count is still so low after so many years - either I don't post because I don't want to seem standoffish by opposing the prevailing opinion, or I do post and nobody wants to talk to a guy who seems standoffish . Thanks for the kind words, and feel free to join the secret society of preservationists if you haven't already. Our next meeting will be at your house on Tuesday.
Old 11-10-17, 11:36 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I don't flip bikes as much as I used to. I really like working on bikes so for me it is a hobby. I do a complete overhaul on every bike I sell. If I figured out my hourly wage fixing bikes for sale it would be very low. I have paid for quite a few vacations and paid bills with my profits. Look at the bikes I have listed under my name on the left, I paid for every one with profits from selling bikes.
Old 11-11-17, 01:55 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I don't flip bikes as much as I used to. I really like working on bikes so for me it is a hobby. I do a complete overhaul on every bike I sell. If I figured out my hourly wage fixing bikes for sale it would be very low. I have paid for quite a few vacations and paid bills with my profits. Look at the bikes I have listed under my name on the left, I paid for every one with profits from selling bikes.
Bob’s ability to discover deals is 2nd to none, except perhaps to @wrk101 and @Danbianchi881.
Old 11-11-17, 06:30 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Interesting responses.

I have never sold a bike but did sell one bare, not very good frame for peanuts just to get rid of it. I've been building because it is fun. I never intended to be a collector or seller but a rare or really nice bike is fun to work with and ride. So now I have sort of a collection.

Shortly after I joined BF some flipper who was a BF noobie posted a For Sale note in a non-For Sale thread. He claimed to be an expert because he sold on average some huge number that amounted to (IIRC) 4 to 6 bikes a week. But he didn't know the difference between a PX-10 and a UO-8, had made his judgment on pics he found on the Internet. He apparently didn't realize that many of the C&V members were world-class experts who might know far more than he did. And he didn't have the perception to realize that you don't offer to sell brand A in a thread started started to discuss brand B and named accordingly. He didn't stick around long. That post ticked me off because he insulted all the real experts here by assuming his knowledge was equivalent to theirs, and more importantly because it raised the possibility that he might pass it off to a less-informed buyer misrepresenting what it was even if unintentionally. Just because a car wears a bow tie and the name begins with a C doesn't mean that Corvair is a Corvette. With cars, the buyer will know. With older bikes, maybe not.

Anyway, that story is not pertinent to anything except the general issue of flipping. Some do, some don't. It takes some knowledge and patience to do well. I have neither.
Old 11-11-17, 09:24 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I neglected to mention that I have given away many bikes. For me much of the enjoyment I get from working on bikes is to get bikes back on the road. Most everything I work on is from the '70s - '90s.

Originally Posted by rjhammett
Old 11-11-17, 09:39 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I'm horrible at it, but I still enjoy it. I call it recycling my money, plus I feel I'm doing good in the world. I buy a neglected bike, clean it and make it pretty. Plan to keep it, then find something else I want. So I sell my current purchase at little or no profit to buy another. It's a viscous cycle, but it's fun. It's all about finding the next one.
Pretty much the same for me. I am pretty sure if I sold all the ones that are in the "private" collection I would probably end up ahead a fair bit because I bought a lot of them back when things were still pretty cheap. But in general break even on actual costs is a good outcome for me. No way I get paid anything reasonable for my time.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 11-11-17, 09:39 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I try and buy / flip as much as possible but even then, maybe only a few bikes a year. Just depends on what i come across on CL and how much funds are available to play with. I always aim to get something that i want and that fits me because.. i might want to keep it for myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.