Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Converting Ultegra 6800 to 1x

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Converting Ultegra 6800 to 1x

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
Just picked up my GT Grade recently and it came with a 52/36 crank. I was going to switch out the chainrings for 50/34, but think it might be better served as a sub compact ratio (48/32) or going 1x.

Any options to convert to 1x on a Ultegra crank? I'm pretty sure there aren't any 48/32 chainrings that will fit, but maybe someone can school me.

Thanks.

chainring in the middle of a triple, is on the right chain-line .. alignment , centered .. a one by needs similar though its not critical

the 2 chainrings of a double are on either side of the centered line..

... and you cannot fit a chain-ring on that will be smaller than its mounting bolt circle..

Old 01-01-18, 08:55 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Why on earth would you do this?

The only reason SRAM "pioneered" the 1x drivetrain is because they couldn't make front shifting that worked worth a darn.

If you have a Shimano drivetrain, enjoy their smooth front shifting. They did some good engineering there, and it's so worth it.
Baloney. Yaw FDs are the bomb.
Old 01-01-18, 10:51 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I went through the same situation a few months back and settled on a Wolftooth 36t (whatever is the smallest one) and swapped out my RD for a long cage one. Running a 11-32 in the back for now but I can go larger if i want in the future.

On top of that I went with the Gevenalle style shifters and couldnt be more happy with this simple setup.
Old 01-02-18, 06:30 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
for typical maintained gravel roads are clutched derailleurs really necessary?

I would assume that just grabbing a 1x chain ring would be enough for non competitive riding.

I say this based on riding my Schwinn crosscut as a 1x7/8 whatever it was (forget), on a front DR /chainring delete before I stripped it to get power coated. Exage 400 stuff and I never dropped a chain without a 1x chainring.
I do however love the no chain bounce (very minimal) of a clutched derailleur though. It's closer to the enjoyment that comes from a SS.

As for chain lines, I generally just pick the side I spend 90% of my time on. is the 42 to the 36 cog perfect? nope, but I am only there , maybe 0.005 % of the time. Meanwhile my day in day out riding chainring/cog choice is perfectly aligned. Smooth as butter I like it.

Last edited by Metieval; 01-02-18 at 06:33 AM.