Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Why don't you use fenders on your bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 04:00 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

I tend to race and train with at least a rear fender (I ride more than just gravel). Makes my bike stand out in a crowd, that is for sure. Here is an interesting article indicating that fenders are not a handicap, and should probably be on more bikes. I certainly find them useful on my gravel bike, and wonder why I see so few bikes with them?

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...slow-you-down/
Old 01-17-18, 05:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I do. I love fenders.

One big reason to not use fenders for gravel riding is that they can clog up in mucky conditions. Whether that's an issue depends on the gravel riding; Heine notes in his article that he wouldn't necessarily recommend fenders in circumstances that call for knobbies.

And to be fair, "they don't slow you down" is a bit of a matter of perspective. If they require a careful fit and a downward extension off the front to neutralize the aerodynamics, then it seems likely that most people's fender setups have a subtle net negative effect on the system's aerodynamics. And even if the aerodynamics are neutral, adding a pound to the bike will increase your gravitational drag by around half a percent (that could slow an hour-long climb by 10-20 seconds!).

and wonder why I see so few bikes with them?
Traditionalism.

Minimalism.

Lots of people refuse to ride in wet weather anyway.

Bikes not being designed to conveniently fit fenders.

Bad experiences with sloppy bodges on bikes that aren't designed to fit fenders.

Nausea in response to the aesthetics of fenders that are designed for bikes that aren't designed to fit fenders.

Unhappiness with incomplete coverage even when fenders are set up correctly. Most full-length fenders do not protect your feet or drivetrain well from front-wheel spray, and many don't do a very good job protecting the person behind you from back-wheel spray.
Old 01-17-18, 05:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I certainly find them useful on my gravel bike, and wonder why I see so few bikes with them?
For me-
- my platform rack doesnt secure well with fendered bikes.
- i dont ride enough in the rain to need them then.

I have some fenders hanging in the garage if i ever again feel the need to use them.
If i commuted by bike i would use fenders.
If i were going to tour for a week or more, so rain was likely, i would use fenders.
Old 01-17-18, 06:30 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I use fenders on my main bike, it's an allroad bike that I ride recreationally all over and ride in the rain or on wet roads anywhere from 25-100 hours a year. I do not ride nearly are hard or fast on my own as when I am in an event.

For my gravel race bikes I do not use fenders, I don't think the potential safety issues are worth the additional coverage. I hate riding in the wet w/o fenders when I'm just riding on my own but during events it's not something that seems to bother me.

Most bikes don't wear fenders because most people do not ride when it's raining, threatening to rain or has recently rained. Also stuff like worrying about 20 seconds over an hour long climb
Old 01-18-18, 01:22 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. I can run larger tires without them.
2. It doesn't rain that much in Colorado to make the expense worth it.
3. I think they are ugly.

#3 is the dominant reason but if I lived somewhere really rainy like the UK or Seattle I would probably buy some.
Old 01-18-18, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why do you assume we don't

VBQ is a magazine costing as much as a book per issue, and also advertising, for his Compass brand products..
Old 01-18-18, 02:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
I've read that piece by Jan Heine, and it is pretty short on real data. Just a lot of his conclusions and an implicit "Hey, trust me, we tested this."

Heine is great about publishing conclusions that support the products he sells -- and he sells some very expensive fenders.

I'm not stating that he's wrong...Just that I'm not convinced.

PS: I do run fenders on my commuter bike. Wouldn't think of commuting w/out 'em. Don't run them on my road bikes b/c I don't like riding in the rain anyway.
Old 01-18-18, 03:19 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Fenders help keep water and road grime off me and my bike even when just riding on wet roads. I have both metal and plastic and if installed correctly they don't rattle of rub the tires. Personally, I like the looks of a classic steel road bikes with fenders so all is good.
Old 01-18-18, 04:37 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I just have an ass-saver on my bike, works good enough!
Old 01-18-18, 08:17 PM
Jakedatc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
+1 Ass saver.. can use it on road, CX/gravel or mtn bike . I have a front mud guard on the mtn bike too
Old 01-18-18, 08:22 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Oh but I do
Old 01-18-18, 11:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I do and I don't.

I love riding rain, but I seriously hate road grime. Mainly because too many people don't give a care about spilling stuff. Oil diesel, fuel, fertilizer, round up, they stop and piss, animal haulers piss and put dung all over the roads, Farmers spread manure and leave it all up and down the roads. I've seen people randomly stop and fling empty their 20 oz empty mtndew bottle of chew spit all over the road. around here you'll even find wadded up diapers all along the ditch.

America the next Haiti in the making! People suck!
Old 01-19-18, 06:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I hate fenders....and I love fenders. That about sums them up for me

I do run them on my commuter bikes.
Old 01-22-18, 03:42 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I tend to race and train with at least a rear fender (I ride more than just gravel). Makes my bike stand out in a crowd, that is for sure. Here is an interesting article indicating that fenders are not a handicap, and should probably be on more bikes. I certainly find them useful on my gravel bike, and wonder why I see so few bikes with them?

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...slow-you-down/

I run fenders on my allroad bike that I tend to choose when roads are wet, or rain is predicted during an event, and it is my tour bike. I'd agree with Jan, I don' think the sks plastic full coverage fenders I have mounted on that bike tend to slow it down in any appreciable way to me, plus, it just completes the look on that particular bike.

I use an ass saver on my other bikes, and I will throw on one of the SKS down tube mtb "fenders" when the gravel I'm riding is going to be extra sticky/messy, but I don't leave it mounted all the time, as it seems to act as some kind of huge "sail" when I heading into the wind? I'd like to say it's all in my head, but son of a gun, it really seems to add some drag in a 20+ mph headwind that is unfortunately, all too common on many of my gravel rides. Fortunately, that "fender" is all of 10 seconds to put on/take off, so no big deal to attach when needed.
Old 01-22-18, 07:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
my gravel turned into a commuter on 28's
I half way expected the fenders to slow it down the way people talk. Maybe it's all in my head, but I swear that sometimes I think it is faster with fenders, Like less drag.

regardless, the change is negligible.
I bought Raceblades for the single speed. as the single speed would be the bike that I ride the first rain day/melt day after salt goes down. I've yet to use the race blades though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00211.JPG (918.9 KB, 174 views)
Old 01-22-18, 08:04 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've thought of putting fenders on my gravel bike, but I've heard that lodged rocks can lead to wrecks. I haven't found potential gains worth the risk finding out whether that's true or not
Old 01-24-18, 04:53 AM
alex jb

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Klein Palomino, Planet X Kaffenback, Custom Bamboo build, 1964 Schwinn deluxe.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All year round fenders for me on my commute/gravel bike, wouldn’t bother with my skinny tyre bike though, 700x23 doesn’t pick up as much water and that bike doesn’t intentionally go out in the rain.
Old 01-24-18, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The bikes I have that dont have mudguards * are a long ways from the front door , in storage, and rarely get used,

where the ones with mudguards , are the ones seeing frequent use..

* A road bike & a CX style bike..
Old 01-24-18, 02:02 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
my commuting cyclocross/ commuter bike has fenders and I love them. I can not imagine riding day in and day out with out them.
Old 01-24-18, 08:14 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
central Texas is pretty f-ing dry most of the time. if it's raining, you wait a day and ride when it stops. when I really want to ride and it's wet, I put a Mucky Nuts beaver tail flap on the back of my saddle. if I ride my bike to work, I would use on those rare days when i have to worry about the wet.
Old 01-25-18, 08:05 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I used full fenders on my Rivendell until something lodged in there and destroyed the front fender on a rails to trails ride. I just yanked them off and haven't used fenders on a gravel bike since. I have to admit it was pretty annoying getting leaves and sticks caught in between the fender and the tire, which happened often.

On the mountain bike I have a Mucky Nutz mudguard on the front just to keep spray away from my face. It works pretty well and stuff rarely gets jammed in there.