Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slime

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 04:19 PM
SoldSpartan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slime

So I just got Slime installed on both tires on my mountain bike, and I wondering if there is anything I should know? One thing that comes to mind is there anything special I got to do when I am pumping air into the tires or taking air out of the tires? Buy the way I got presta valves.
Old 07-29-18, 04:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've heard that if you do have a leak that the Slime won't seal, the Slime on the tube will keep a patch from sticking.
Old 07-29-18, 05:13 PM
SoldSpartan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've heard that if you do have a leak that the Slime won't seal, the Slime on the tube will keep a patch from sticking.
So am I ok with taking air out or putting air in?
Old 07-29-18, 05:17 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Thread 50,000 on slime.

Enormous mistake. You are going to be sorry when you get a flt that the slime can't fix. Buy a good pair of tires and then learn to repair flats when needed.
Old 07-29-18, 05:18 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan
So am I ok with taking air out or putting air in?
How do you expect the tires to remain inflated? The inner tube is not solid slime.
Old 07-29-18, 05:39 PM
SoldSpartan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only reason I went with Slime is that my wheels weren't tubeless ready?
Old 07-29-18, 05:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It's not that bad, but I wouldn't use Slime tubes unless I was getting repeated goathead flats and all the better alternatives failed. I think you don't want to deflate, the slime may run up out of the valve - messy..
Old 07-29-18, 06:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Old 07-29-18, 07:10 PM
SoldSpartan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I already had the Slime installed.
Old 07-29-18, 09:47 PM
TaintedRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man you guys sure are rough today.

Regarding the slime it will be no different when inflating the tires. Slime does work best for small punctures such as thorns and usually seals up the hole no problem. On punctures larger than small thorns they may not seal the punctures in the tube. In that case just carry a spare tube with you.

Good luck and ride on!!
Old 07-29-18, 10:14 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Wow, tough crowd. But to be honest, I’ve not had the best luck with Slime brand sealant. I have had a little better luck with Specialized AirLock sealant, but none of those types of products are 100% anyway. In the event that the AirLock didn’t work, I’ve still been able to clean up the tube and install a traditional patch. It’s always best to carry a spare tube so you’re not trying to patch on the side of the road.

When dealing with sealant filled tubes, remember to position the valve stem at the bottom (6 o’clock position) for at least a minute or two to allow the sealant to flow out of the stem. Then, rotate the wheel to position the stem up high (10-2 o’clock) to fill. This will help keep sealant from clogging up the valve stem (and your pump head as well).

-Kedosto
Old 07-29-18, 10:29 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Works, but as an extra step add tire liners. Been a great help.
Old 07-30-18, 09:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't agree. Slime makes it slightly more difficult but with proper preparation around the hole in the tube, the patch should stick to the rubber without issue. It's still made of rubber. "Proper preparation" would, of course, mean keeping the Slime off the prepared area.

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Wow, tough crowd. But to be honest, I’ve not had the best luck with Slime brand sealant. I have had a little better luck with Specialized AirLock sealant, but none of those types of products are 100% anyway. In the event that the AirLock didn’t work, I’ve still been able to clean up the tube and install a traditional patch. It’s always best to carry a spare tube so you’re not trying to patch on the side of the road.

When dealing with sealant filled tubes, remember to position the valve stem at the bottom (6 o’clock position) for at least a minute or two to allow the sealant to flow out of the stem. Then, rotate the wheel to position the stem up high (10-2 o’clock) to fill. This will help keep sealant from clogging up the valve stem (and your pump head as well).

-Kedosto
I'm not a fan of Slime but I'm not a fan of sealants in general. However, what you have said is true of any tube or tire that uses sealant. The job of the sealant is to seal leaks and the valve is a giant leak. Keeping the sealant out of the valve is the key.

In defense of Slime, it is better than the sealants used in tubeless applications in many respects. Tubeless sealant needs to be refreshed regularly ( about every 3 months) while Slime does not. Ancient Slime tubes will still do their sliming even after years of storage. I put this down to the solvent used for the sealant. Tubeless sealants use glycols that dissolve into tire (and stay there) while Slime uses a different solvent that doesn't dissolve into the tire. If I used sealant, I'd choose the Slime over any tubeless sealant any day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-30-18, 11:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't agree. Slime makes it slightly more difficult but with proper preparation around the hole in the tube, the patch should stick to the rubber without issue. It's still made of rubber. "Proper preparation" would, of course, mean keeping the Slime off the prepared area.
I haven't tried patching a slime-filled tube myself, so I don't have first hand knowledge. I do have a bottle of slime which I might use in my gravel bike, though.
Old 07-30-18, 12:07 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Slime works great in my lawn tractor tires, wheel barrow tire, and believe it or not, my mechanic neighbor recommended it for the bead leak on my wife's car. It worked great.
But in a bike tire, no thank you. I used it once, it made the tire heavy, and the valve clogged so I couldn't add air. Nope, not for bike tires.
Old 07-31-18, 10:27 AM
Tikaani

Bikes: 2018 Trek DS 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we do have goatheads all over the place and Slime has saved me a bunch of riding downtime. After my ride this last weekend (16 miles), I found three holes it had plugged and my pressure was only down 5 psi.
Old 07-31-18, 09:08 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried slime once early on. Got a catastrophic flat on my front tire at 20mph and got slimed in my eyes. Once I picked myself up and could see again, found I slime everywhere. Since then I just run good puncture resistant tires and 2 good quality spare tubes. Flats have been rare sine then.
Old 08-01-18, 10:37 AM
jmlapoint
eRacer

Bikes: Lippy Track Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slime

I have used Slime. It can spray out and ruin gauge when checking pressure. Set valve at 12 o'clock and wait a bit before using a gauge. Allows Slime to drain to bottom away from the valve. I have stopped Slime and use Sunlite Thorn Resistant Tubes. Less mess, no flats, and not much weight difference.
john
Old 08-01-18, 10:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
The use of sealant isn't per se a bad idea, it's just that slime is an incredibly crappy sealant. Orange seal and Stans are the most popular for a reason. Yes, they're designed for tubeless applications, but I've used orange seal in tubes with pretty good results. It only works with tubes that have removable valve cores.
Old 08-01-18, 12:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
It works great. I've never had it clog a valve. I've mostly used it on presta valves, it's fine.

I had an intance this spring when I had mixed slime and orange sealant, the the orange had dried and if it wasn't for the slime, I'd have had to put a tube in.

You can get a little on your hands, it's not the end of the world. Don't install it indoors.

It has it's place in the cycling world.

Don't avoid it because people who used it wrong had trouble with it.
Old 08-01-18, 01:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Flat Attack > Slime.

Patches will stick to a Flat Attack'd tube. My experience with sealant in tubes is this: Flat Attack will seal the small, annoying, pinprick punctures like those from goatheads or radial tire wire. It won't stop anything else. But perhaps most importantly, is stops flats from being instantaneous. Crossing a railroad overpass, I had to check over my shoulder while merging out of a terminating lane. As I coming down the bridge and looking behind me, I didn't see a nice sunken waterline access cover-- wham, snakebite puncture. Hit the hole at about 25mph, and could hear it hissing/sputtering. Front tire, no less. But it leaked out slowly enough that I rode a quarter of a mile or so until I found a driveway with some shade to fix the flat. No sealant in that tube, I would probably have ended up on the ground.

Down to one set of wheels with tubed tires-- they're hearty Panaracer RibMos, which are like slightly faster rolling Gator Hardshells. Nevertheless, those tubes have Flat Attack in them. The peace of mind is more than worth the 2oz per tire.
Old 08-01-18, 02:41 PM
jonnybike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put some in my wife's car tire once to get home. Did the job but when I pulled the tire off later to install snow tires it was a huge mess. It never clogged the valve.
Old 08-01-18, 03:22 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about your experience reminds of Ghostbusters.

I recently punctured right on front of a bike store, so I thought I'd ask if they could fix it while I wait, rather than do it myself. The mechanic said he didn't have time to fix it while I waited, but offered to put sealant in my tube. He said that using the sealants marketed for tubeless tires were better for this kind of application than Slime.
I'm not saying sealants are bad, they have a place. I had a lot of flats early on but found that tire/tube selection made a huge difference. So I went that route. I mostly ride solo so a 15 minute break to change a tube is not a big deal to me I usually just toss the punctured tube and keep 4-5 spares and a half dozen CO2 cartridges on hand to replenish my bike bag. Amazon is awesome that way.