Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An almost unbelievable story and a question.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 10:04 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple months ago, out of nowhere, I got a wild hair to build a commuter bike. Seriously just out of the blue. I liked the idea of being self sufficient, challenging myself and all the other good things that come with bicycle commuting.

Last week I finished it and did the commute a couple times. Some things broke and I wasn't happy with the ergos so I made some changes. All the parts finally got here last weekend and I buttoned it up Sunday night. All I needed was a set of grips.

Now I don't own a car. I've been motorcycle only for the last five years. So Monday morning I fire up the motorcycle and as I'm backing it out of the driveway it starts making some unhealthy noises. I had to have my wife drop me off at work because I didn't have time to ride the bicycle plus it didn't have grips.

Tuesday I rode the bicycle and absolutely love it now. It feels really good. I borrowed a truck and trailer from work and dropped the motorcycle off at the dealers for diagnosis.

Got word today the motorcycle is terminal.

A three year old motorcycle with only 10K miles on it that has been 100% reliable and rode daily just happens to tear up an engine the very day that I finish the build on a commuting bicycle that only came to be due to a random thought. What a super freaky coincidence.

Anyway, I'm kind of at peace with it. I'm choosing to take it as a sign. I'm not happy that I'm going to be paying on what is essentially a 500# paperweight for the next couple years but I cannot afford to put an engine in it. I'm hoping I can repair it myself cheaply but the dealer thinks pistons are contacting valves which only equals expensive.

So the problem is my wife is beside herself with this situation. She's panicked that I don't have a vehicle. I explained that this is exactly the reason I built the bicycle anyway. I planned to stop using the motorcycle to keep the boring commuter miles off of it and use the bicycle for that purpose. But she's not having it. She absolutely does not like the idea of me cycling to work. She's convinced it's about the most unsafe thing I could do.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get her on board with this?

I mean it's the new reality so it's happening regardless but I'd like her to be more at ease with it than she is.
Old 10-25-18, 10:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
She is giving you an excuse to get a Lamborghini Huracán. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 10-25-18, 10:08 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Good grief!
What make/model is this motorcycle?
Old 10-25-18, 10:53 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
You were commuting on a motorcycle and she’s worried about a bike commute? I’m the other way. I feel safe biking and pick my days to moto commute!
Old 10-25-18, 11:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
My mom was cool with anything Dad drove except for his Kawasaki. She made him sell it within two weeks.

We drove this awful VW Rabbit for two or three months after finally fixing whatever it was that broke (fuel injection?), just to get something out of what was paid for it. I had to ride in the cargo compartment and stare at traffic you know. No wonder I preferred the AMC Matador station wagon we had before that. I was still looking back at traffic but not scrunched down.

Anyway, I'm proud of your bike building effort! Let's see some pics!
Old 10-26-18, 12:51 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok hold up first mistake

1: living beyond your means , you couldn't afford the motorcycle so you took out a loan like a greedy needy little man baby child .

Second mistake
2: trusting the dealer , you'd be better off smoking crack with the crack head who will fix your bike for 5 dollaz and a bag of rocks .

Lesson should be stay in yo lane , pay in cash , ride nude bars !!!!

( drops mic )
Old 10-26-18, 01:37 AM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Ok hold up first mistake

1: living beyond your means , you couldn't afford the motorcycle so you took out a loan like a greedy needy little man baby child .

Second mistake
2: trusting the dealer , you'd be better off smoking crack with the crack head who will fix your bike for 5 dollaz and a bag of rocks .

Lesson should be stay in yo lane , pay in cash , ride nude bars !!!!

( drops mic )
Hey man! I never said I was smart

The motorcycle is a Yamaha FJ-09.

This is the bicycle build. https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ld-thread.html
Old 10-26-18, 01:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
sounds to me like she's enabling you to buy a very expensive 4 wheeled vehicle.

If that is not affordable, then convincing her that the other option would be to sell the house to move closer to your work in order to increase the safety factor of bicycling.
Old 10-26-18, 02:12 AM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no desire to buy a car. That's not going to happen. I won't be adding any more debt no matter what happens. I can fix the motorcycle. I just can't afford to pay the dealer to fix the motorcycle.
Old 10-26-18, 03:41 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
If you can/will fix the Yamaha I don’t get what the beef is. What’s the route you’re biking - urban with heavy traffic, busy highway with no shoulder? Riding in the dark? Maybe she’s got a point. Or maybe she needs to ride it with you to ease her mind.
Old 10-26-18, 04:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
get term life insurance with her as the beneficiary. $100K for her & another $100K for every kid & if you have a mortgage, at least $100K to help with that
Old 10-26-18, 04:23 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NiGoCo
She absolutely does not like the idea of me cycling to work. She's convinced it's about the most unsafe thing I could do.
Anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get her on board with this?
Here's a comparative stat from the Virginia DMV for 2013:

The motorcycle fatality rate is over 17 times greater, and bicycle fatality rates are nearly 10 times greater than that for automobiles.
In 2013, bicycle and motorcycle injuries and deaths in Virginia were as follows:
Bike accidents:
  • 800 reported accidents
  • 739 serious injuries (92 percent of bike accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 10 deaths (1.3 percent of bike accidents result in fatal injuries)
Motorcycle accidents:
  • 2,000 reported accidents
  • 1,800 serious injuries (90 percent of motorcycle accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 60 deaths (3 percent result in fatalities)
In short, you're about twice as likely to be in a motorcycle accident than in a bicycle accident, and you're more than twice as likely to die in a motorcycle accident than on a bicycle. Bicycles are safer.
Old 10-26-18, 04:27 AM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
get term life insurance with her as the beneficiary. $100K for her & another $100K for every kid & if you have a mortgage, at least $100K to help with that
I've got the life insurance taken care of. I made sure of that when I bought the motorcycle.
Old 10-26-18, 04:27 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Tell her you agree with her and will commute by bicycle until you finish repairing your engine. After a month or two of bicycle commuting she’ll soften up and realize you aren’t going to die. Take your time fixing the motor.

Personally, riding around on a 100+ hp motorcycle seems far more dangerous than riding a bicycle to work.
Old 10-26-18, 04:37 AM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
If you can/will fix the Yamaha I don’t get what the beef is. What’s the route you’re biking - urban with heavy traffic, busy highway with no shoulder? Riding in the dark? Maybe she’s got a point. Or maybe she needs to ride it with you to ease her mind.
I think the big deal is it's so foreign to her. I sorta faced the same resistance when I switched to motorcycles from cars. Except the concept of using a bicycle for anything other than recreation is not something that she can rationalize.

Another thing is the only people who you see around here on bicycles are beggars. They ride to the street corners to panhandle. On the weekends you may see some Roadies out and about but even that's pretty rare. So there is some social stigma attached that she is likely not all that comfortable with.
Old 10-26-18, 06:12 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Oh nice motorcycle, and a three cylinder? I have money on the timing chain guide or tensioner failing. If the bike was still running, then you probably haven't caused the pistons to smack the valves.

Good luck and enjoy the bike commute!
Old 10-26-18, 06:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
...Anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get her on board with this?

I mean it's the new reality so it's happening regardless but I'd like her to be more at ease with it than she is.
Better physical health, better mental health. Here are my bike commute videos. Hope they help.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5TfAHK4EOymjDg
Old 10-26-18, 06:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091

The motorcycle fatality rate is over 17 times greater, and bicycle fatality rates are nearly 10 times greater than that for automobiles.
In 2013, bicycle and motorcycle injuries and deaths in Virginia were as follows:
Bike accidents:
  • 800 reported accidents
  • 739 serious injuries (92 percent of bike accidents result in serious injuries)
Motorcycle accidents:
  • 1,800 serious injuries (90 percent of motorcycle accidents result in serious injuries)
In short, you're about twice as likely to be in a motorcycle accident than in a bicycle accident, and you're more than twice as likely to die in a motorcycle accident than on a bicycle. Bicycles are safer.
wat?!
Old 10-26-18, 07:14 AM
Shimagnolo

The motorcycle is a Yamaha FJ-09.
Hell!
That is the exact bike I've been considering to replace my Versys 650.
Old 10-26-18, 07:56 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
You were commuting on a motorcycle and she’s worried about a bike commute? I’m the other way. I feel safe biking and pick my days to moto commute!
Yeah, this was my thought too. A little research (not checked, but as you know, there are remarkably few errors on the interweb):
Passenger Car Death Rate (for drivers and passengers): 0.11 per 10 million miles
Bicycle Death rate: 0.37 to 1.26 per 10 million miles
Motorcycle Death Rate: 2.27 (1994) to 4.01 (2005) per 10 million miles

So you are reducing your likelihood of death by a factor of about 10 by switching from motorcycle to bicycle. As far as deaths are concerned, at least.

Not sure that the Huracán doesn't have a bit higher peril though! For me it would, but I'm an idiotic yahoo. I'd be reminiscing about the '67 GTO (389, six pack) I had. Sigh... Looked like this:
Old 10-26-18, 08:08 AM
NiGoCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Hell!
That is the exact bike I've been considering to replace my Versys 650.
I absolutely love the bike. And to be fair it seems like a complete anomaly. I only know if two other guys that have had any serious issues and one guy was bouncing it off the rev limiter continually which caused his issues. I sure wouldn't write them off based on my singular experience, they are really terrific bikes especially for the money.
Old 10-26-18, 08:12 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look to see if there is a motorcycle salvage yard or jump online to copart.com see if you can find a salvaged bike where you could swap out the engine and now you have a bunch of free parts.
good luck
Old 10-26-18, 08:19 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
What is the warranty limit on the MC? (having never purchased a new one I don't know)
Old 10-26-18, 08:23 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by ggoytia1
Look to see if there is a motorcycle salvage yard or jump online to copart.com see if you can find a salvaged bike where you could swap out the engine and now you have a bunch of free parts.
good luck
Funny you should mention CoPart.com.
I had never heard of them until a fool in a pickup truck rant a stop sign and totaled my first Versys 650: https://www.copart.com/lot/44985557/
The only usable parts are the frame, engine, swingarm, and rear wheel.
Hell, even the exhaust system is bent.
I found a garage-queen Versys two months later to replace it.
Old 10-26-18, 08:30 AM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091

Bike accidents:
  • 800 reported accidents
Motorcycle accidents:
It is a pet peeve of mine when people post these type of statistics because they are wrong.

When you want to compare risks, you need to use rates. X number of accidents per person-time-riding. There are more motorcycles on the roads riding more miles than bikes. If the two were equally safe/dangerous, you would still expect more accidents on motorcycles simply because more people are riding motorcycles.

Im not saying your conclusions are wrong, just that your evidence doesn’t support it at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.