Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 05:35 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
How come that so many 50+ and 60+ cyclists have strong narcissistic tendencies?
Likes For rowerek:
Old 10-30-23, 07:31 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I'm 62. People my age expect me to give up my seat on the bus for them.
Old 10-30-23, 08:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
It’s probably because it doesn’t take much energy after a hard workout.

Old 10-31-23, 04:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
My 11 old year daughter thinks I look ancient. My 14 year old daughter thinks I look very old. People my age think I look a bit younger.
People much older than me think I look young. Different perspectives depending on the age of the observer.
Old 10-31-23, 07:44 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The fitter I get, the older my face looks.

The fat used to fill in the voids between my wrinkles.

I'm becoming a butt-a-face.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 10-31-23, 09:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm at the gym 5-6 days a week and occasionally someone wil say that I look like I'm in my 50's when I tell them I'm 77. I don't know what age I look like but OTOH I no longer care.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-31-23, 09:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
I think in general, that endurance sports(at least in America) have the highest percentage of adult onset athletes. For whatever reasons, people never tried or had no success in the traditional sports. A lot of them might have went through a transformation with a dramatic weight loss. Or, they go to the doctor one day and are told they need to make a transformation for health reasons. So, they get them a bike, or start walking/running, go on the journey and make the transformation. Maybe get into triathlon. Many on this forum have taken the journey from heavyweight Clyde to physically fit individual. Once they get there, they tend to think they are an elite athlete. It doesn't seem to matter that the closest they've got to any actual competition is showing up for a local group ride or doing the local charity 5k, they're elite now. Legends in their own minds. No culling process, they can pay their entry fee and do their events. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully they aren't haunted by their former selfs.
I'm reminded of a conversation I was having with a lady one day on a run. She was telling me how competitive she was and how hard she pushes herself. I asked her if she had grown up with competitive sports and what sports she competed in. She told me she had never done any sports until she started running about 10 years earlier. Middle to BOP at best. She definitely had a competitive spirit/attitude, but had no chance of winning any events because she had no elite athletic ability.

Last edited by seypat; 10-31-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-31-23, 11:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think in general, that endurance sports(at least in America) have the highest percentage of adult onset athletes. For whatever reasons, people never tried or had no success in the traditional sports. A lot of them might have went through a transformation with a dramatic weight loss. Or, they go to the doctor one day and are told they need to make a transformation for health reasons. So, they get them a bike, or start walking/running, go on the journey and make the transformation. Maybe get into triathlon. Many on this forum have taken the journey from heavyweight Clyde to physically fit individual. Once they get there, they tend to think they are an elite athlete. It doesn't seem to matter that the closest they've got to any actual competition is showing up for a local group ride or doing the local charity 5k, they're elite now. Legends in their own minds. No culling process, they can pay their entry fee and do their events. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully they aren't haunted by their former selfs.
I'm reminded of a conversation I was having with a lady one day on a run. She was telling me how competitive she was and how hard she pushes herself. I asked her if she had grown up with competitive sports and what sports she competed in. She told me she had never done any sports until she started running about 10 years earlier. Middle to BOP at best. She definitely had a competitive spirit/attitude, but had no chance of winning any events because she had no elite athletic ability.
I say "hooray" to all those who pick up athletics at an advanced age. If they have an inflated sense of their ability, that's okay. Whatever it takes to keep them going.

There are some folks who simply had zero interest in athletics while in school, but they pick up a sport when they're settled as an adult, and they end up doing pretty well. My sister was like that, she started doing triathlons in her 30s because a friend was doing it and talked her into it. Within a few years, she was winning her age group.

Edit: The same sister enjoyed poking fun at all her "star athlete" friends (and relatives!) who had stopped competing after high school/college, with their growing waistlines and sedentary lives.

Last edited by terrymorse; 11-02-23 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-31-23, 05:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not sure how to interpret this (given in answer to the supposed narcissism of 50+ and 60+ cyclists).

I suppose it depends on your definition of "athlete," but IMHO, one can certainly be an athlete without ever being an elite athlete or even one that competes or wins.

This is a 50+ thread. We are all old enough to know "elite" or competitive athletes from our days in high school or college who have let themselves go and now struggle from all manner of maladies, many traceable to inactivity. Contrast them with people who weren't particularly athletic in their teens and 20s, but are 3 sigma athletes (whether they compete or not) in their age demographic today. Then there is the genetic factor. Some people mature early, and in my observation, they also age early. Some mature late and also in my observation, they age late.

Also, although there is a lot of variance in the subject, people who remain active, and avoid unhealthy habits are less likely to be overweight, and in our culture, being overweight is generally regarded as unattractive. So at our age, one should not be surprised that there is a correlation between being active and being thought of as younger looking.

And as I said before, it really doesn't matter. Looking good is nice, but what is really important is how you feel. The other stuff is fluff.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-01-23, 05:07 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I fit into most of what you said.

And on the local bike path, I am elite. Don't like it, well then come to my local path and beat me son!!!

But for real - I was riding with some of my buddys, newer riders, and they were commenting on my fitness. Asking if I race, why I don't race - and I flat told them that I am not an athlete, and you will know one when you see one.

We bumped into an older gentleman on one of our rides, he slowed down to talk with my 12 year old son and give him some encouragement, we talked with him a bit as he ramped up the pace... he was on a 50+ mile recovery ride and was clipping along at 23-25 on the flats. Dropped my group in a hurry, dropped my son after a mile, I held on for the ride as long as I could without going into the red zone - and he was on a recovery ride.

That was an athlete - and you knew it the moment you saw him. The Dogma F12 he was on was a clue as well.
Old 11-02-23, 10:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
IMO: You don’t have to win to be considered an athlete. It’s a mindset of striving to be your personal best in an athletic endeavor/s. Nowhere is an athlete defined as someone who out excels everyone else.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-02-23, 11:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
IMO: You don’t have to win to be considered an athlete. It’s a mindset of striving to be your personal best in an athletic endeavor/s. Nowhere is an athlete defined as someone who out excels everyone else.
Agreed, and I'll go even further: You don't have to compete in formal events to be an athlete. Working towards a goal, whether it be a PR in the 40k or a local Strava KOM, is just as athletic an endeavor as entering races.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 11-02-23, 12:41 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
in my 40s people were often commenting that they thought I was in my late 20s, now I look every bit of my 59 years. :-(
Old 11-02-23, 03:25 PM
seypat

But the OP put the word "so" into his title, not just fit. He's also started multiple threads on the same subject. I interpreted that as elite level when reading his original post. I then took it into consideration when responding to post 26. I guess I need to start a backslapping thread so people can disclose it in one thread instead of starting ones like this frequently. Probably put it in the Road forum. It'll get more use there.

Last edited by seypat; 11-02-23 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-02-23, 09:03 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
To the title of this thread: does it really matter!
If one manages to keep himself or herself fit through exercising routinely and eating sensibly (I don’t mean surviving on nuts and twigs or going to the other extreme of consuming meat and fats exclusively), the rewarded of feeling well is quite enough.
I couldn’t care less what others guess my age might be!
Old 11-02-23, 09:29 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I went on a backpacking trip recently and we were all gathered around the campfire discussing health. There were about 15 of us and this guy next to me said he’s probably the oldest person in the group. I looked right at him and I knew the guy was at least 10 years younger than me. I asked him his age and he told me he was 52. So I replied, sorry, you’re waaay off, I’m pretty sure I’m the oldest here…. I’m 69. Cycling, backpacking, and doing yard work make me feel at least 20 years younger..lol
Old 11-03-23, 04:46 AM
PeteHski

But the OP put the word "so" into his title, not just fit. He's also started multiple threads on the same subject. I interpreted that as elite level when reading his original post. I then took it into consideration when responding to post 26. I guess I need to start a backslapping thread so people can disclose it in one thread instead of starting ones like this frequently. Probably put it in the Road forum. It'll get more use there.
Reading "so fit" as "elite level competitive athlete" is a bit of a stretch. Sounds like you have some issues with this kind of topic.
Old 11-03-23, 05:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
this kind of topic....

Hopefully OP has reflected on the responses and will find another.
Old 11-03-23, 06:22 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Reading "so fit" as "elite level competitive athlete" is a bit of a stretch. Sounds like you have some issues with this kind of topic.
As the old saying goes, "Act like you've been there before." I realize you're not an American, so you might not be familiar with the saying. But this is the 50+ forum, so most here should be familiar with the saying and the attitude. BF could certainly use more of that at the moment. Way, way too much "look at me" permeating throughout the forums.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-03-23, 06:22 AM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Can somebody explain how cycling can make somebody look younger, so that people around are frequently mistaken about the person age?

We are talking here about LOOKS, not necessarily fitness, and that can be achieved mostly thanks to genetics and few other factors. Biking barely shows on the radar screen, and it can be actually detrimental due to possible, excessive sun exposure and stress (see cortisol).

If somebody has good genetics, eats healthy, exercise moderately (walking will suffice), avoids smoking and alcohol, excessive sun exposure and stress, and takes basic care of the skin then this somebody has done all to stay healthy and look relatively young when compared with others not so lucky with genetics and having abusive lifestyle. Biking will not change that in any significant way.

Here is quick list from google-bard:

Factors that can contribute to older people looking younger than their peers:
  • Genetics: Some people are simply born with genes that make them age more slowly. This can include genes that affect the production of collagen and elastin, which are proteins that help keep skin looking youthful.
  • Lifestyle: Certain lifestyle choices can also play a role in how quickly a person ages. For example, people who eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep tend to look younger than those who do not.
  • Environment: Exposure to environmental toxins, such as cigarette smoke and UV rays, can accelerate the aging process. Therefore, people who avoid these toxins are more likely to look younger.
  • Skin care: A good skin care routine can also help to keep skin looking youthful. This includes using products that protect the skin from the sun, hydrate it, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Here are some specific things that older people can do to look younger:
  • Protect their skin from the sun by wearing sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses when outdoors.
  • Eat a healthy diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Manage stress.
  • Use a good skin care routine.
Old 11-03-23, 07:02 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
As the old saying goes, "Act like you've been there before." I realize you're not an American, so you might not be familiar with the saying. But this is the 50+ forum, so most here should be familiar with the saying and the attitude. BF could certainly use more of that at the moment. Way, way too much "look at me" permeating the forums.
I grew up in Connecticut and have lived in several other states and am an obsessive reader, and I've never come across that saying before, and had no idea what it's meant to convey until I looked it up a minute ago.

Turns out you might have to be a football fan to get it. (I've ignored all sports other than bike racing all my life, so I'm an outlier, I admit.)

Not sure what the significance of the quote is in the context of this thread. "Act like," etc., takes for granted that we're all worried about how we're perceived by others but says that we should pretend that we aren't. Just another variety of narcissism.

The original quote:

Penn State's Joe Paterno said "when you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before."
Old 11-03-23, 07:13 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I grew up in Connecticut and have lived in several other states and am an obsessive reader, and I've never come across that saying before, and had no idea what it's meant to convey until I looked it up a minute ago.

Turns out you might have to be a football fan to get it. (I've ignored all sports other than bike racing all my life, so I'm an outlier, I admit.)

Not sure what the significance of the quote is in the context of this thread. "Act like," etc., takes for granted that we're all worried about how we're perceived by others but says that we should pretend that we aren't. Just another variety of narcissism.

The original quote:

Penn State's Joe Paterno said "when you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before."
It's common in most of the sports, at least the ones I've participated in.(And I've participated in a lot of different sports) It's about keeping concentration and focus as much as drawing attention to one's self. Since you were not familiar with the Joe Paterno quote, are you familiar with Teddy Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" quote? I'm getting to show some good, inspirational quotes today.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7-i...ts-not-the-man

Last edited by seypat; 11-03-23 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-03-23, 07:50 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
It's common in most of the sports, at least the ones I've participated in.(And I've participated in a lot of different sports) It's about keeping concentration and focus as much as drawing attention to oneself.
Had to look up "end zone" just now to confirm that once you're in it, you've scored the goal, i.e., that once you're there, concentration and focus are no longer relevant. And, after all, the quote says to "look as if you've been there before." (There's nothing wrong with preening a bit under those circumstances, of course.)
Old 11-03-23, 08:03 AM
PeteHski

As the old saying goes, "Act like you've been there before." I realize you're not an American, so you might not be familiar with the saying. But this is the 50+ forum, so most here should be familiar with the saying and the attitude. BF could certainly use more of that at the moment. Way, way too much "look at me" permeating throughout the forums.
The irony is that you are actually drawing attention to yourself in this thread with a rather self-righteous attitude. If you think the subject of the thread is pointless then why bother participating? There are hundreds of threads posted on BF that I have no personal interest in, so I don't bother reading them. Threads often repeat themselves multiple times too, it's nothing unusual here.
Old 11-03-23, 08:06 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Had to look up "end zone" just now to confirm that once you're in it, you've scored the goal, i.e., that once you're there, concentration and focus are no longer relevant. And, after all, the quote says to "look as if you've been there before." (There's nothing wrong with preening a bit under those circumstances, of course.)
But you're just looking at one sport. If after a 2 handed flush or a long 3, you go camera looking and break out into a pose/ ______ yell(left it blank because every word might be offensive these days), that's when the other team runs it back up the court and jams it leaving you looking like a fool. You have to keep the focus and get back on defense. You can't let up and take a bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.