Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Fuji Del Rey

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Fuji Del Rey

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 05:04 PM
KeepPedaling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
My Fuji Del Rey

Got a lot of flack for this video on other forums but I just laugh and take pictures of my perfectly imperfect bike.

Likes For KeepPedaling:
Old 02-19-24, 06:44 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
That is a really pretty frame. FYI- the water bottle cage that you replaced looked like a TA cage, popular with vintage bike collectors. The gold color Ukai rims were original. Nothing special but some collectors like them.
Old 02-19-24, 10:06 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
That looks cool but I don't know if I could ride it - I think I would pass out from my head being that much lower than my butt.
Likes For albrt:
Old 02-20-24, 05:22 AM
KeepPedaling

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
That is a really pretty frame. FYI- the water bottle cage that you replaced looked like a TA cage, popular with vintage bike collectors. The gold color Ukai rims were original. Nothing special but some collectors like them.

Pretty sure I still have the cage but the rims were trash. For me riding > than collecting.
Likes For KeepPedaling:
Old 02-20-24, 08:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-20-24, 10:42 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
"The Del Rey was an excellent sport-touring bike." - Sheldon Brown
Likes For Whit51:
Old 02-20-24, 12:15 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I like it @KeepPedaling . Fuji always did a great job with paint regardless of where it was in their lineup and yours in the dark green with gold lettering looks great. Nice job restoring it. For the chainstay, some of us here get a piece of aluminum tape and cut ovals in each end and tape it down to the chainstay to cover the chain rash and prevent new niks. I like using black vinyl electrical tape, cut the same way. Back in the day, someone was making stainless steel chainstay protectors that look great and held up well.

I had a pair of Belleri handlebars that had a similar shape to yours. I liked them. I ended up selling them with the bike. I used standard dropped bar brake levers with them because I do most of my riding on the hoods of the brake levers.

I like the brown seat as well. It goes well with the green. Those steel rims cleaned up real nice too. Some of us here don't like steel rims, but there are cheap steel rims and there are better ones, the only downside is with nice chrome rims, it could be hard to stop in the wet.

Are you going to go to a single speed on this? It does have a perfectly good Suntour ARX derailleurs and power shifter on it. If it were mine, I'd keep it.

Keep us updated. More pictures = more better.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-20-24, 01:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
The mods aren't my cup of tea, but the clean-up is impressive to say the least. To generalize on some of the notes above, pretty-much any components you remove from this bike for your mods are worth saving/selling. If nothing else, donate them to a local bike co-op / kitchen, or offer them free on CL. As said, the gold rims and Suntour power ratchets are prime examples. They're not making any more of them, after all. You may find yourself going back to those gold Ukai wheels, by the way, when you notice how much heavier the ride feels with those steel Femcos. As mentioned above, the braking will not be as good with the Femcos, esp with just a front brake. Kool-Stop salmon pads would be a wise choice.

+1 what Uncle Sheldon said about the Del Rey as a sport touring bike. Mine's been a blast, slower than my "go-fast" bikes but an excellent light hauler. Looks like yours is a Japan-made bike; it was probably one of the last (my '89 is a Taiwan bike).
Old 02-20-24, 01:35 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Nice video and I appreciate your bravery showing your balding head...

Also digging the chalk! This seems to be basically a styling exercise. My bikes could see more style.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 02-20-24 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 02:28 PM
KeepPedaling

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like it @KeepPedaling . Fuji always did a great job with paint regardless of where it was in their lineup and yours in the dark green with gold lettering looks great. Nice job restoring it. For the chainstay, some of us here get a piece of aluminum tape and cut ovals in each end and tape it down to the chainstay to cover the chain rash and prevent new niks. I like using black vinyl electrical tape, cut the same way. Back in the day, someone was making stainless steel chainstay protectors that look great and held up well.

I had a pair of Belleri handlebars that had a similar shape to yours. I liked them. I ended up selling them with the bike. I used standard dropped bar brake levers with them because I do most of my riding on the hoods of the brake levers.

I like the brown seat as well. It goes well with the green. Those steel rims cleaned up real nice too. Some of us here don't like steel rims, but there are cheap steel rims and there are better ones, the only downside is with nice chrome rims, it could be hard to stop in the wet.

Are you going to go to a single speed on this? It does have a perfectly good Suntour ARX derailleurs and power shifter on it. If it were mine, I'd keep it.

Keep us updated. More pictures = more better.

Thanks! I'm probably going to keep it as my geared bike but might switch a few things around that I have in mind. I'll keep you updated for sure.

Originally Posted by madpogue
The mods aren't my cup of tea, but the clean-up is impressive to say the least. To generalize on some of the notes above, pretty-much any components you remove from this bike for your mods are worth saving/selling. If nothing else, donate them to a local bike co-op / kitchen, or offer them free on CL. As said, the gold rims and Suntour power ratchets are prime examples. They're not making any more of them, after all. You may find yourself going back to those gold Ukai wheels, by the way, when you notice how much heavier the ride feels with those steel Femcos. As mentioned above, the braking will not be as good with the Femcos, esp with just a front brake. Kool-Stop salmon pads would be a wise choice.

+1 what Uncle Sheldon said about the Del Rey as a sport touring bike. Mine's been a blast, slower than my "go-fast" bikes but an excellent light hauler. Looks like yours is a Japan-made bike; it was probably one of the last (my '89 is a Taiwan bike).

Thank you! Those wheels were trashed tbh. The gold was all sorts of messed up also. I usually try to give stuff away when I can. One mans trash is another mans treasure is truest thing ever said!

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Nice video and I appreciate your bravery showing your balding head...

Also digging the chalk! This seems to be basically a styling exercise. My bikes could see more style.

Chalk was incredible! One thing I would say is get a little softer chalk. Crayola probably would be best but I've tried a cheaper white chalk from an everything store and it didn't work quite as well. I would say the easier it is to write on a chalkboard the better for the polish.

Eagle's nests around the world, UNITE!!! 🪺🦅
Likes For KeepPedaling:
Old 02-20-24, 04:29 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by KeepPedaling
Thanks! I'm probably going to keep it as my geared bike but might switch a few things around that I have in mind. I'll keep you updated for sure.

Thank you! Those wheels were trashed tbh. The gold was all sorts of messed up also. I usually try to give stuff away when I can. One mans trash is another mans treasure is truest thing ever said!

Chalk was incredible! One thing I would say is get a little softer chalk. Crayola probably would be best but I've tried a cheaper white chalk from an everything store and it didn't work quite as well. I would say the easier it is to write on a chalkboard the better for the polish.

Eagle's nests around the world, UNITE!!! 🪺🦅
Keep the vids coming too.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 04:33 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
Del Reys are nice riding bikes, kind of miss my '86 but had others that rode as well and 2 other Fujis in better condition so it went to a good home and is being enjoyed.

Had an '83 Royale II in the same color as your Del Rey and with the same gold wheels but it was a tad small.

Old 02-20-24, 05:09 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Good job. Although I would run a dual pivot brake if I only had one brake
Likes For icemilkcoffee: