Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solid Tubes and Solid Tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 07:50 PM
chesterv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello:

My problem is tires. No matter what kind of air up tires I get, they keep losing air...I am constantly pumping them up.

I've been looking for size 28 inch solid tires, but I can't find any online. I find 14 inch to 26 inch, but thats it, nothing larger, unless its a motorcycle.

I've looked at solid tires also, but don't find any solid tires for 28 inch rims.

And yes, I've taken it to a bike shop to see if there is anything wrong with the rims, and they said they didn't find anything wrong.

Is there any place that sells larger sized bike tires....specifically the solid tubes or solid tires? I spend more time airing up these tires than riding the bike!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-20-16, 07:57 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Put the tubes in some water and find the leak. You shouldn't have to add air to non-latex tubes very often.
Old 05-20-16, 08:40 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It would help to know exactly what size your "28 inch" rims are since there are several possibilities. If there's a metric equivalent written somewhere on the current tire that would help define it. Some 700c (622mm bead diameter) tires are labeled as 28" - in that case Tannus has a solid foam tire with widths of either 23mm or 28mm:
Tannus Tires - Solid Bicycle Tires
But be aware that most people become very dissatisfied with airless tires due to the increased rolling resistance, greater weight, and harsher ride.

How frequently do you actually need to pump up the current tires? Once every couple weeks is about normal for bicycle tires (a little more frequent for very thin tires, less frequent for fatter ones). The air inside does gradually diffuse through the thin rubber tube. If yours lose air much faster than that then you either have a small puncture in the tubes or you have unusually thin tubes (or latex ones) where the diffusion rate is higher. Get some normal tubes - or opt for the thick 'thorn resistant' ones that will have a lower diffusion rate (albeit at the cost of some extra rolling resistance and weight).

Last edited by prathmann; 05-20-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 09:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
What is the exact size of tires you're using?

I've been using Tannus solid tires (700x23) on my winter commuter since mid-winter this year. I have some mixed opinions on them, but I like the idea of fewer flats, and not being stuck out in the rain. Plus no need to carry pump, spare tube, and patch kit (unless I pull my trailer).

Here is a longer thread that I've posted a few times to.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...olid-tire.html
  • Slightly harsher ride (700x23) than pneumatic tires.
  • Slightly higher rolling resistance than pneumatic tires
  • Somewhat lower traction when wet.
  • A few really big gashes in them, but no "flats".
  • Wear is good. I have somewhere around 1000 miles, and can barely detect wear on the rear. Still have center ridge on the front. No dry skids so far, but a few wet skids with no appreciable wear.
I typically get fewer flats during the summer, and use standard tube tires on the rest of my bikes.

Another competitor is Peram. They make a solid tube to put inside of your own tire. It looks like they now have a few up on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Peram/b/ref=bl...owse-bin=Peram

I'm also seeing, Greentyres, but the reviews I'm reading are very harsh.
Bicycle tyres cycle tyres bike tyres custom built wheels tyres

And Acme.
@cme Bike Parts | FlatFree Bicycle Wheelsets
Old 05-21-16, 02:35 AM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AASHTA
Old 05-21-16, 06:16 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
That's the nature of tubes. They lose air. I have to top off my tires before every ride. Bicycle tires/tubes are not like car tires.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-21-16, 07:57 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's what you need to do:

First, go to a good, REAL bike store, and buy some DECENT tubes (not the cheap Kenda or the junk they sell in the dime stores).

Second, you need to buy some good, puncture-resistant tires. They'll cost you about $40 each, but they are worth it.

Third, if you have rubber spoke liners, you need to replace it with a good cloth liner.
Old 05-21-16, 08:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You probably have a slow leak from a tiny puncture, or maybe a leaking valve stem. I'd replace the tubes on general principle, any tubes. Also check inside the tire for a tiny wire (glass, thorn) poking through. Check the rim tape as Alex suggested.
Old 05-21-16, 08:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Molded foam plastic-rubber tires are made, I have 2. for a 700c rim want them ?

Thorn resistant Tubes are Heavy because they are much thicker . but as a result, they retain air much longer.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-21-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-21-16, 10:06 AM
chesterv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the standard thick rubber bike tubes, I go through about 3 or more sets a year because they never hold air.

I have to air them up every single time I ride.

Tire size is 28 x 1 3/8 x 1 5/8....thats what is has printed on the tires.

Everytime I get another set of tubes, I change brands. And so far, not one of them has kept air.

With all the money I've spent in tubes, I could just buy a nice set of solid tires or solid tubes, but I can't find any for this size.
They aren't getting punctures, I've checked them and had them checked. They just lose air every time I ride. And I ride on flat, concrete surfaces, so I shouldn't be having issues with punctures.
Old 05-21-16, 10:18 AM
chesterv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a bit out of my price range, but I like the looks of those.

There is a bike shop near here, I will have to go see if they have anything like this in stock.

I haven't found anything online in the city I live.
Old 05-21-16, 10:37 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chesterv
With all the money I've spent in tubes, I could just buy a nice set of solid tires or solid tubes, but I can't find any for this size.
They aren't getting punctures, I've checked them and had them checked. They just lose air every time I ride. And I ride on flat, concrete surfaces, so I shouldn't be having issues with punctures.
Instead of replacing the tube, reinflate it. If it's losing air quickly, it's a puncture. When repairing punctures, it's imperative that you make sure the debris puncturing the tube does not remain in the tire, or it will puncture the repaired tube.
Old 05-21-16, 10:39 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Here's what you need to do:

First, go to a good, REAL bike store, and buy some DECENT tubes (not the cheap Kenda or the junk they sell in the dime stores).
Real bike shops often sell Kenda tubes, sometimes rebranded under a decent name. There's nothing wrong with Kenda tubes.
Old 05-21-16, 10:51 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by RonH
That's the nature of tubes. They lose air. I have to top off my tires before every ride. Bicycle tires/tubes are not like car tires.
Some natural air loss is common. Mom's bicycle gets ridden 1x or 2x a year, and inevitably needs the tires pumped up.

I ride several times a week. I do a quick "thumb" test, and only pump up once every few weeks. Undersized tubes will lose air quicker than oversized (thicker) tubes.

Latex tubes also apparently lose air quicker than the butyl (black) tubes.
I'm seeing those are probably 700x35c which is a very common tire size. Your bike store should be able to confirm.

How old are the tires? When was the last time they've been replaced?

It is possible that if you started with brand new tires and tubes you'd do better. Otherwise, are you tracking down and figuring out what is causing the holes in your tubes? A small radial tire wire can be hard to find unless you follow a hole to the problem spot. Patches are cheap.

That Tannus Shield/Thoroki tires will probably fit.
Tannus Thoroki Aither 1.1 Solid Foam No Flat Bike Tires

Double check the rim size. Measure the inside width of the rim, bead to bead.
Tannus Aither 1.1 Tire Size Chart Tire Selection

Verify tire clearance if you're moving to the 40mm version.

The tires are a major pain to install, but you only need to do it once.

The Peram solid tubes will also probably work, but getting the right size might be trickier.
https://www.amazon.com/Peram/b/ref=bl...owse-bin=Peram
Old 05-21-16, 01:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I get the standard thick rubber bike tubes, I go through about 3 or more sets a year because they never hold air.

Something is wrong and probably not the tubes. I air up every week or two weeks, or sometimes months on a bike I don't mind riding at 50-60 psi. I've had the same tubes for years, and ride every day.

Do you have a patch kit, and use it?
Old 05-21-16, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea take the tire OFF you probably left a tiny bit of wire still in it, and it makes a new Hole in every new tube..
Old 05-21-16, 01:57 PM
CliffordK

If your tires are less than 10 years old, they should have the number 622 printed on them somewhere. If they do, then you're golden. Any 700c (by 30 to 40) tire should fit on your bike depending on tire clearance.

If they are over 10 years old, buy a new set of tires anyway. Look for something with a reasonable puncture resistance rating. Schwalbe Marathon, and Panaracer Tourguard tires are good rugged tires. There are also lots of choices for lighter durable tires.

A local bike shop can help verify tire sizes.
Old 05-21-16, 02:00 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You're wanting to turn the calendar way back before the invention of the pneumatic tire? There were big and excellent reasons why the pneumatic tire was invented. A sold rubber tire will make riding a bicycle like spending time with George Foreman or muhammad Ali in the ring- you'll be beat before yo go any great distance.

Pump up the tube (out of the tire) and make sure the tube is big. Then immerse sections of the tube into water deep enough to cover the diameter of that section of tube. Then look for bubles. If you see a bubble slowly forming wipe it with your hand and watch to see if it comes back. if it does there's your slow leak. repeat with the entire tube. Also submerge the valve to check that the valve isn't worn or loose and that air isn't coming out of it.

Once you find your leak patch it. Before you put the tube back in thetire run a cootn ball around the inside of the tire and see if it snags on anything sticking through thet ire. there might be a tiny bit of glass or a fine piece of wire in the tire. You have to remove that. Also rub that cotton ball along the inside of the rim to see if there's a nick inthe rim or a protruding spoke that's eventuallt wearing a tiny hole in the tube.

Cheers

Cheers
Old 05-21-16, 02:20 PM
WinNT

Bikes: Peugeot City 200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solid tires are not popular, because they are heavy and nobody except you, chesterv, has this problem. I think, you should not look for the solid tires, but for the reason of your problem. If you are saying the you try to change tubes and tires, probably problem is somewhere else.
What pressure do you usually pump up to? Maybe it is something extreme? Do you have the same behavior for both wheels? Might be something is wrong with the rims and they are making small puncture in your tubes. First i think you need to make sure that there is no puncture: take the tube out, and pump it up to really big size (but avoid explosion) and dip it in a bath, try to see attentively for bubbles, if you see it, let me know, i will give further recommendation . If no, the only one explanation is left is pump and valves (nipples). Maybe you pump damages nipples and they do not keep air any more. Might be, there is dust in your pump that comes into the tube and prevent nipples to work well. What kind of nipples do you have? If you have presta valve, do you do everything exactly like in this video?

Last edited by WinNT; 05-21-16 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-16, 02:55 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

As mentioned, the tire diameter marking as 28" is somewhat ambiguous and can refer to an actual bead diameter of either 622mm ("700c" size) or 635mm. You probably have the 622mm size but it would be good to check the tire carefully to see if either 622 or 635 are printed on it anywhere. If you have the 622mm size then Tannus makes their solid foam type of tire in both 32mm and 40mm widths and either of those should work with your wheels. But note the comments that I and others have already made about disadvantages of using non-pneumatic tires.

You keep saying that you need to fill them "every single time" you ride, but give no indication of how often that is. As mentioned, it's normal for air to slowly diffuse out of bicycle tubes. So if you only ride once a month it wouldn't be unusual to have to pump them up every time. OTOH, it would be unusual to have to do this if you're commuting by bike and therefore ride at least twice a day. As fietsbob and I have already said, switching to the thicker 'thorn-resistant' tubes would give you a thicker rubber wall so the air would diffuse more slowly and would only need to be pumped up every couple months instead of weeks. These also have drawbacks of greater weight and increased rolling resistance, but not to the same extent as solid foam tires. (And tubes stretch so the ones made for 622mm rims would also work ok with 635mm rims.)

I'm puzzled by your comment that "I haven't found anything online in the city I live" since a big advantage of finding things online is that they can be shipped from almost anywhere in the world.
Old 05-21-16, 03:43 PM
CliffordK

You can Slime it too...

Won't help the slow loss of pressure over months, but some people find it helps.

The green goo is mostly non-drying, and more or less stops the holes. But isn't the best.

Latex sealants are better, and can essentially permanently plug holes, but have to be periodically renewed or otherwise maintained. I don't know how well they do with stuff like the radial tire wires or glass, if the cause of the flat (wire, glass, etc) isn't physically removed.
Old 05-21-16, 04:02 PM
chesterv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WinNT
Solid tires are not popular, because they are heavy and nobody except you, chesterv, has this problem. I think, you should not look for the solid tires, but for the reason of your problem. If you are saying the you try to change tubes and tires, probably problem is somewhere else.
What pressure do you usually pump up to? Maybe it is something extreme? Do you have the same behavior for both wheels? Might be something is wrong with the rims and they are making small puncture in your tubes. First i think you need to make sure that there is no puncture: take the tube out, and pump it up to really big size (but avoid explosion) and dip it in a bath, try to see attentively for bubbles, if you see it, let me know, i will give further recommendation . If no, the only one explanation is left is pump and valves (nipples). Maybe you pump damages nipples and they do not keep air any more. Might be, there is dust in your pump that comes into the tube and prevent nipples to work well. What kind of nipples do you have? If you have presta valve, do you do everything exactly like it this video?

As I stated before, I have taken this to a bike shop and they looked it over for a long time and did all sorts of tests on it. They claim they can't find anything wrong with it.
Old 05-21-16, 04:05 PM
chesterv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
As mentioned, the tire diameter marking as 28" is somewhat ambiguous and can refer to an actual bead diameter of either 622mm ("700c" size) or 635mm. You probably have the 622mm size but it would be good to check the tire carefully to see if either 622 or 635 are printed on it anywhere. If you have the 622mm size then Tannus makes their solid foam type of tire in both 32mm and 40mm widths and either of those should work with your wheels. But note the comments that I and others have already made about disadvantages of using non-pneumatic tires.

You keep saying that you need to fill them "every single time" you ride, but give no indication of how often that is. As mentioned, it's normal for air to slowly diffuse out of bicycle tubes. So if you only ride once a month it wouldn't be unusual to have to pump them up every time. OTOH, it would be unusual to have to do this if you're commuting by bike and therefore ride at least twice a day. As fietsbob and I have already said, switching to the thicker 'thorn-resistant' tubes would give you a thicker rubber wall so the air would diffuse more slowly and would only need to be pumped up every couple months instead of weeks. These also have drawbacks of greater weight and increased rolling resistance, but not to the same extent as solid foam tires. (And tubes stretch so the ones made for 622mm rims would also work ok with 635mm rims.)

I'm puzzled by your comment that "I haven't found anything online in the city I live" since a big advantage of finding things online is that they can be shipped from almost anywhere in the world.

I've had problems buying from overseas, so I don't do it unless there isn't any other choice. I don't even bother selling overseas from my ebay anymore because of all the problems.
Old 05-21-16, 04:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
As I stated before, I have taken this to a bike shop and they looked it over for a long time and did all sorts of tests on it. They claim they can't find anything wrong with it.
A very small hole and leak doesn't show up in usual bike shop tests. As already mentioned you need to take the tube out, inflate it, and submerge in water a section at the time looking for bubbles. Once you find the source, match the tube hole against the corresponding spot on the tire. Most likely there's something very small embedded in the tire. Run your finger across the inside if use a cotton swab to find it.
Old 05-21-16, 04:14 PM
chesterv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I don't ride my bike everyday.

I just moved and I know my tires are flat at this point. When I do ride, it's on the weekends, weather permitting.

If I ride on Saturday, I will have to air up the tires again on Sunday when I go out.
Tires claim to hold 60 psi. I pump them to 55-60. I was always told over-inflating will wear your tires out faster.

I bought the bike new with new tires and tubes.
The tubes that came on the bike never held air. I would get about a block away and they would be flat. So I bought new tubes. They last for a ride, but the next day I have to air them up again. Got tired of that so I bought another brand of tubes....same thing happened. Took the bike to the bike shop to have it looked at. They claim they found nothing wrong. I put another brand of new tubes on the bike.....same thing happening.

As I said, I ride on flat surfaces. So the minor differences in solid tubes or tires should not affect me.

I don't want to keep wasting money buying tubes every 2 or 3 months. I might try that gel stuff for the tubes or if there are some of those super thick tubes in my price range....other than that, I will just save up for some solids.

Thanks anyway guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.