Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rational or irrational fear of Press Fit BB's?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 11:12 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a high mileage cyclist and ride well over 10,000 miles a year on a fleet on different bikes. I do probably 8000 miles on my main bike including on average 4-5 Gran Fondos a month and back packing etc. My current bikes all have threaded BBs.

I'm in love with the idea of adding a shiny new bike to my collection in the spring. A Trek Emonda, not sure which model depending on finances but many bikes have PF BBs. I'm particularly wary of PF30, but also a bit leery of even Shimano press fit offerings.

So my questions for very high mileage riders that use PF BBs....

If you do a high mileage how many miles before you get through a BB?
Do you/can do the work yourself with your own tools?
Do you regret buying a bike with a PF BB?
How much does a workshop charge you for changing the BB?
If you were living or travelling/touring in a developing country would you even consider have a bike with a PF BB?

I don't race so I don't really need the minimal weight and arguable stiffness marginal gains from a PF BB, I just like the rest of the bikes they are attached to. I'm also not saying a threaded BB is immune to failure, it's just they are so cheap and easy to order and fit and last for a long time.
Old 10-19-16, 02:30 AM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You can get the tools and replace them yourself. Although the tools are very bulky so you wouldn't want to be carrying them around toruing. It's not really that difficult to do. I replaced mine a while ago, maybe had 20,000 miles on them, due mainly to concern about water that might have got into them rather than wear and tear.

You need one tool to remove the cups and a different one to press the new cups back in. In a pinch (ie in the middle of nowhere in a developing country, I wouldn't recommend this for normal use) I'm sure a hammer and a screwdriver could get them out and the ever useful hammer and a block of wood could reinstall them which would compare favourably with threaded where you would always need the correct tool.

With the tools it's dead easy but when reinstalling you need to be careful to get the cover in the middle lined up correctly to avoid crushing it (it's just plastic). There are a number of youtube videos that demonstrate installing a PF BB. Or this article from park tools: Bottom Bracket Service: PF30 | Park Tool

I'd prefer threaded BB but the fact is they are a rare beast nowadays and most bikes seem to come with pressfit. I think, mainly because they provide a wider BB shell to attach chain stays, seat and down tubes.
Old 10-19-16, 03:04 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. 20,000 miles on a PF30? That's impressive. Reassuring.

Merida have some threaded BB carbon offerings and there are some fairly nice ti frames with threaded BBs.

Also the multi Tour de France winning Pinarello Dogma has an Italian threaded BB. So the industry argument that PF is better is clearly untrue.
Old 10-19-16, 06:24 AM
SCRcat6

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZMC888
Also the multi Tour de France winning Pinarello Dogma has an Italian threaded BB. So the industry argument that PF is better is clearly untrue.
:
Old 10-19-16, 07:53 AM
motorthings

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
you could get a Chris King PF30 and the greasing tool, so you would be able to inject fresh grease easily. I only have about 5k on mine, but that is 2x what I had on the stock SRAM PF30 BB before it started making noise.
Old 10-19-16, 08:06 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
you could get a Chris King PF30 and the greasing tool, so you would be able to inject fresh grease easily. I only have about 5k on mine, but that is 2x what I had on the stock SRAM PF30 BB before it started making noise.
It would seem that it is most likely I'll end up with BB86 or BB90. I'm thinking about conversion options too.
Old 10-19-16, 08:22 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
So my questions for very high mileage riders that use PF BBs....
I don't ride as high mileage as you, but I put over 6000 miles on a BB30 BB bike before I sold it.
If you do a high mileage how many miles before you get through a BB?
In 6000 miles the BB30 was replaced due to creaking and clicking 3 times.
Do you/can do the work yourself with your own tools?
Yes.
Do you regret buying a bike with a PF BB?
Yes, and I won't own one again. Threaded BBs for me have been hassle free for years, I'd never actually replaced a BB before in my life before getting a BB30 bike. I have a 18 year old Specialized in my Garage that has it's original non-name cartridge BB in it that spins smoothly still.
How much does a workshop charge you for changing the BB?
About $80.
If you were living or travelling/touring in a developing country would you even consider have a bike with a PF BB?
Nope.
Old 10-19-16, 08:32 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This is among the top factors for me in considering a frame. I've seen too many issues, heard to much creaking and talked to too many mechanics to consider a frame with a PF BB.
Old 10-19-16, 08:33 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I don't ride as high mileage as you, but I put over 6000 miles on a BB30 BB bike before I sold it.

In 6000 miles the BB30 was replaced due to creaking and clicking 3 times.

Yes.

Yes, and I won't own one again. Threaded BBs for me have been hassle free for years, I'd never actually replaced a BB before in my life before getting a BB30 bike. I have a 18 year old Specialized in my Garage that has it's original non-name cartridge BB in it that spins smoothly still.

About $80.

Nope.
Very interesting.
Was suspecting this report would be quite common. I've already basically decided not to ever by a PF30 bike, but I'm still on the fence with Shimano's press-fit offerings, I know they make solid stuff.
Old 10-19-16, 08:39 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Very interesting.
Was suspecting this report would be quite common. I've already basically decided not to ever by a PF30 bike, but I'm still on the fence with Shimano's press-fit offerings, I know they make solid stuff.
Shimano's system seems like the worst of all worlds to me, because it's only compatible with Shimano cranksets, and press fit. It seems to be the most poorly supported of all the standards. EDIT: Also unlike other pressfit BBs, if you decide it sucks, you can't just fix it with a PraxisWorks BB.

Compare that to BB30 which turns out to be have the benefit of being able to take pretty much any modern crankset standard. Hell, you can even put in an insert that turns a BB30 into a regular BSA threaded bottom bracket!

Honestly, I struggle to see the benefits that press fit BBs give to riders who don't care about weight. I had a chance to play with a new very high-end Roubaix the other day and noticed that Specialized went back to a threaded BB on it, so apparently the industry is moving back to threaded BBs also.
Old 10-19-16, 08:58 AM
cyclozone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alu Threaded Cups

Hi I've got an Emonda with PF86 (or PF86.5 in Trek speak). So far I haven't had any creaking issues even when climbing out of the saddle. Nevertheless, if the issue does occur, one can always get a BB from Wheels Manufacturing which come with Aluminium cups which should help solve the creaking issue. Replacement of the bearings is also easier with one of those.
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets.html
Old 10-19-16, 12:34 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry I didn't specify. It was a shimano pressfit, not a PF30. I think it's PF86 for shimano?
Old 10-19-16, 01:01 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
The first requirement of any bike I buy is a threaded BB. I am not a mechanic for a living but I am a good wrench and wheel builder no press fit for me. Could be my next bike will have to be steel or TI which I am considering.
Old 10-19-16, 01:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Merida have some threaded BB carbon offerings and there are some fairly nice ti frames with threaded BBs.

Do I understand you correctly? Are you, in fact, saying that because a PF BB doesn't ALWAYS beat a threaded BB in the TDF, it is necessarily inferior in all respects to the threaded assembly? Is that what you are actually saying?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-19-16, 06:21 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Do I understand you correctly? Are you, in fact, saying that because a PF BB doesn't ALWAYS beat a threaded BB in the TDF, it is necessarily inferior in all respects to the threaded assembly? Is that what you are actually saying?
No, I'm saying that neither a PFBB or a threaded BB is superior in terms of a race situation.

However I keep hearing creaking horror stories and such other things. My first instinct was to totally reject ANY bike with a PF BB. But then I keep hearing of people extremely happy with their PF BB bikes and some with over 20,000 miles on on PF30 as above.
Old 10-19-16, 06:26 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mine is fine. Not high mileage but so far no issues. I installed the PF30 bearings with Loctite 609 and Loctite primer. I don't expect any creaking.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-19-16, 07:57 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Compare that to BB30 which turns out to be have the benefit of being able to take pretty much any modern crankset standard. Hell, you can even put in an insert that turns a BB30 into a regular BSA threaded bottom bracket!
Hence why my new frame is BB30 even though I hear rumblings that press-fit systems are going out of vogue. I have no fear that a properly press-fitted pair of bearings will be problem-free, or failing a proper press fit, that a properly Loctited pair of bearings will be problem-free. While 'threaded bottom brackets' may thread into the frame, the bearings are still press-fit into the threaded cartridge or cups. BB30 eliminates those extra parts so, to me, having no experience with it all, sounds like the best evolution of a bottom bracket. We'll see.
Old 10-19-16, 09:09 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by joejack951
Hence why my new frame is BB30 even though I hear rumblings that press-fit systems are going out of vogue. I have no fear that a properly press-fitted pair of bearings will be problem-free, or failing a proper press fit, that a properly Loctited pair of bearings will be problem-free. While 'threaded bottom brackets' may thread into the frame, the bearings are still press-fit into the threaded cartridge or cups. BB30 eliminates those extra parts so, to me, having no experience with it all, sounds like the best evolution of a bottom bracket. We'll see.
I agree on paper it sounds good. My experience was not so positive. Good luck and used the advice given here and elsewhere to make it work.
Old 10-19-16, 09:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

It is well established that Loctite installation works. It is inexplicable why many bike assemblers and LBSs refuse to use this proven technique. Would you not grease threads? So why not use Loctite as recommended? Same thing. Follow the directions.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-19-16, 10:46 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a suspicion and it's that PF bearings are going to go out of fashion. First all the gravel, CX, and endurance bikes will all go back to threaded, but I think some of the racier carbon offerings and TT bikes, PF will hang about longer.

For every person I hear about with no problem and long mileage I hear another tale of woe. But with peoples' tendency to complain more than praise I suspect that there's 30% chance of creak city before 2000 miles, and with no tools and very precise installation tolerances make me very wary, especially when you consider I live in mainland China. I think I might just buy a Ti frame and change over parts, and spend the extra money on a power meter and ceramic bearings.

I have maybe 10 bikes in two countries with threaded BBs (mostly Shimano, but a couple of SRAM) and I end up changing one a year or so, so they are far from perfect BUT they are so damn easy to change, to find spares, I already have the tool, cheap to buy and to upgrade to a better machined or ceramic BB.

I'm not saying a definite no to press fit especially if I can get some kind of solid reliable conversion with a bike at point of sale, but I'm now looking at Spec more than Trek.

Last edited by ZMC888; 10-19-16 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 11:44 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It is well established that Loctite installation works. It is inexplicable why many bike assemblers and LBSs refuse to use this proven technique. Would you not grease threads? So why not use Loctite as recommended? Same thing. Follow the directions.
Is it easy to remove later, without destroying either the BB or the frame?
Old 10-20-16, 12:41 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I pulled a SRAM PF30 at 10,000 miles but it was toast. Had to break down and have the shop dremel out the DS cup. A couple times I had noise but always fixed by removing cranks and regreasing them. I did remove the bearing seals and greased them (while installed) around 4,000 miles. Now I have the WM screw-together alloy PF30 installed (used grease with alloy shell as per WM instructions). No problem so far. Very easy install (uses shimano BB wrench). In sum I guess I have no particular problem with PF30 but won't let it go 10k miles again without removing the cups. I wouldn't go out of my way looking for PF30 in a new bike, though I now have a Red 22 BB30 crankset so I guess I'm kind of locked in unless I want to ditch the cranks.

scott s.
Old 10-20-16, 05:06 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I pulled a SRAM PF30 at 10,000 miles but it was toast. Had to break down and have the shop dremel out the DS cup. A couple times I had noise but always fixed by removing cranks and regreasing them. I did remove the bearing seals and greased them (while installed) around 4,000 miles. Now I have the WM screw-together alloy PF30 installed (used grease with alloy shell as per WM instructions). No problem so far. Very easy install (uses shimano BB wrench). In sum I guess I have no particular problem with PF30 but won't let it go 10k miles again without removing the cups. I wouldn't go out of my way looking for PF30 in a new bike, though I now have a Red 22 BB30 crankset so I guess I'm kind of locked in unless I want to ditch the cranks.

scott s.
So it's almost exactly like a conventional threaded BB with external bearings but instead of threading to the frame it threads to itself, on the bike it looks just like a threaded BB? Doesn't sound too bad.
Old 10-20-16, 06:35 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
Why would removing bearings mounted with a compound designed specifically for the purpose destroy the frame? Loctite is a brand, not a single product.
Old 10-20-16, 07:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by HazeT
I honestly don't know how removal of a PF30 BB works. Do you just push out the bearings and leave the cups installed to receive the new bearings? Or do you have to get the Loctited cups out too to make way for a whole new PF30 BB? Can't say. The frame is safe, and there is really nothing about the BB to destroy except the bearing cartridges or the whole PF30 loaded cups, which is most likely what you are replacing anyway.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.