Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice pls halp

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Need advice pls halp

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 06:46 AM
salad_goat

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2015 Caadx, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice pls halp

Hello,

I have decided I want a SSCX bike. I already have a CX bike but decided why not race twice in a day. There is a listing for a nice bianchi san jose for 550 (obo) and 75 shipping (split 50/50). There is also a CL ad for surly cross check frame for 300 (obo). I will link both. I know, typically, that building from parts can be more costly; but is that always the case? The wheelset on the san jose looks really nice. I would also be using as a commuter due to my current commuter only having 25c as the widest allowable tire.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/b...358734826.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Bian...QAAOSw~vpZ7gzq

Thank you
Old 11-09-17, 07:12 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If what you're asking is which one you should buy, then it depends on how good your skills are at building bikes, or your knowledge of what parts are most suitable for what you're doing. I personally would buy the Bianchi, and stick some dropbars on.
Old 11-09-17, 09:29 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'd get the surly because you can get whatever parts for it and make it your own
Old 11-09-17, 12:06 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd buy the Surly. If only to avoid that fork on the Bianchi.

The Surly also gives you more options down the road if you want to build a geared commuter after the race season ends. And I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the surly has more rack and fender options.

Consider though, the cross check will probably be more costly in the long run to build up.
Old 11-09-17, 12:43 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by salad_goat
I know, typically, that building from parts can be more costly; but is that always the case?

Thank you
The circumstances where it is not the case are either you have many spare parts in your garage already or you have very specific parts that you want to have on your bike, where you are going to spend money on those parts even if you buy a complete. It is essentially never the case that you will buy a frame and all the parts (and possibly tools to put the bike together as well) and spend less than you would if you were to just buy the complete bike. Attempting to do so will mean that you will end up purchasing parts that are worse than you would if you bought the complete bike. It is fun to build up a bike but if you choose to build up a bike you are going to actually pay extra to do so. Worth it? I think most people who do build up a bike feel like it was worth it but many people also feel like they wish they had saved money and time. It depends on your personality.