Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Saddle Help - Specialized Power vs Fizik Argo Tempo

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 07:05 AM
calebpagan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm still new to cycling - I've had my bike just over 4 months and I ride 4-5 times per week, usually 8-10 miles each ride. My immediate goal is to increase my endurance and distances. My bike is a Brooklyn Bicycle Co hybrid and I'm looking to upgrade my saddle. Shortly after buying, I grabbed a Serfas Dorado at REI. I am not dissatisfied with it and it's certainly an upgrade from than the stock saddle, but I think I might find something that fits me better.

I've been reading about saddles the last week or so and I've narrowed it to two that I'm really interested in: Specialized Power and Fizik Argo Tempo. I prefer being further back on the saddle so like the idea of a snub nose (plus it's something different to try). I've read the Specialized Power is very comfortable, but more suited to aggressive position. I'm on a hybrid so I'm not upright, but I'm also not down in a real aggressive position either. I know it's very personal and a definitive answer on fit only comes being on it, but if anyone has any opinions or information that might help the process, it would be appreciated.
​​​​
Old 06-27-20, 05:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by calebpagan
I'm still new to cycling - I've had my bike just over 4 months and I ride 4-5 times per week, usually 8-10 miles each ride. My immediate goal is to increase my endurance and distances. My bike is a Brooklyn Bicycle Co hybrid and I'm looking to upgrade my saddle. Shortly after buying, I grabbed a Serfas Dorado at REI. I am not dissatisfied with it and it's certainly an upgrade from than the stock saddle, but I think I might find something that fits me better.

I've been reading about saddles the last week or so and I've narrowed it to two that I'm really interested in: Specialized Power and Fizik Argo Tempo. I prefer being further back on the saddle so like the idea of a snub nose (plus it's something different to try). I've read the Specialized Power is very comfortable, but more suited to aggressive position. I'm on a hybrid so I'm not upright, but I'm also not down in a real aggressive position either. I know it's very personal and a definitive answer on fit only comes being on it, but if anyone has any opinions or information that might help the process, it would be appreciated.
​​​​
Saddle are personal, what works for me will probably not work for you but certain brands keep being mentioned; the two you mentioned are very popular among cyclists for their comfort and performance.

Regarding saddle width, the sit bones increase in distance as the spine angle increases; so the idea is that saddle widths should correspond to that. Currently I have eight S saddles; some are the exact same model on different bike types (road,MTB, and hybrid). Of these, my bikes with more bar drop get the narrowest 138mm; on the hybrid I use a 143mm. My MTB bars are about the same height as the hybrid but I ride it more aggressively so it has a 138. But, all my bikes fall within the "athletic" fit. This is purely theoretical, the practical reality is that I just put a 143mm saddle on my drop bar gravel bike (fairly aggressive) and I am really digging it, so I don't know if a narrower 138mm will be any better. Maybe 5mm is not a big deal back there, I had my ass measured to below 138 at the S shop, but 138 is the narrowest they had.

I've never tried a short saddle before, so no input there.

TLDR: You gotta try it.
Old 06-27-20, 06:20 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I had my ass measured to below 138 at the S shop, but 138 is the narrowest they had.

TLDR: You gotta try it.
I had no idea this is a thing. Do you have to pay more for this service and what else do they measure.......jk
Old 06-27-20, 08:47 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I had no idea this is a thing. Do you have to pay more for this service and what else do they measure.......jk
S used a special cushion IIRC. I used to use a squishy chair we had in the shop; the key is something that holds the shape long enough for a measuremnt, and accurate "peaks and valleys." Cost was free for a basic sitbone measurement while saddle shopping. It sounds more weird than it really is; even young women beginners were OK with that and basic bike fit once you explain things; most people appreciated the time taken for a good fit out the door. It does gather attention though.
Old 06-27-20, 04:34 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
DorkDisk....thanks for that. The only things that come close is when I buy hockey skates. The store would heat them in an "oven". You lace them up nice and snug and wear them in the store for about 30mins. Voila! Moulded to your feet and break-in decreased from an entire season to a few games.....
Old 06-27-20, 04:41 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Update: I decided to give the Fizik a try. I went with the Argo Tempo R3. It came in today and I just got back from my first test ride. Had a tiny bit of toe tingling after about 30 minutes - significantly less than before, but still a little. Moved the saddle back a bit and I think that resolved it. Rode another 30 and no issues! Wasn't sure if I'd like a firmer saddle, but so far it's much more comfortable that the Dorado I just took off. I also felt like I got more power pedaling, as though I wasn't working against the additional cushion in the saddle. So far, so good. Hopeful it stays that way.
Old 06-28-20, 02:53 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but I've had an Argo Tempo on my gravel bike for about a month now, and I really like it. The huge cutout provides a lot of relief for the sensitive areas. My typical rides are between 25 and 35 miles, and I'm now enjoying them much more than before. I did find I had to adjust it a few times before getting it just right. It's amazing what a difference 5 mm here or there will make! Anyway, I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me.
Likes For AU Tiger:
Old 06-28-20, 06:04 PM
sanger68

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can someone help me figure out the difference between the R1 R3 and R5 tempo? I’ve read the description three times and still not really sure I understand. Thanks!
Old 06-28-20, 09:40 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sanger68
Can someone help me figure out the difference between the R1 R3 and R5 tempo? I’ve read the description three times and still not really sure I understand. Thanks!
Well, I'm new to cycling in general and know nothing, so I could be all kinds of wrong, but...
As I understand it, it's different rail material and padding. R5 is most padding with s-alloy rails. R3 = less padding and Kium rails. From my research, Kium is Fiziks titanium/alloy blend. R1 = least padding, carbon rails. The R1 being "race" saddle of the bunch. Someone please correct all my misinformation.

edit: Also, weight affected by the padding and materials, with the R1 being the lightest of the bunch.

Last edited by calebpagan; 06-28-20 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For calebpagan:
Old 06-29-20, 06:04 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by calebpagan
Well, I'm new to cycling in general and know nothing, so I could be all kinds of wrong, but...
As I understand it, it's different rail material and padding. R5 is most padding with s-alloy rails. R3 = less padding and Kium rails. From my research, Kium is Fiziks titanium/alloy blend. R1 = least padding, carbon rails. The R1 being "race" saddle of the bunch. Someone please correct all my misinformation.

edit: Also, weight affected by the padding and materials, with the R1 being the lightest of the bunch.
Yes, that is the difference between them. Unless you're a racer who is super concerned about weight, the R5 will suit you just fine. For perspective, the weight difference between the R1 and R5 is 46 grams, which is less than 2 ounces.
Old 06-29-20, 10:37 AM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Specialized Power Expert Saddle is by far the most comfortable I've ever used. Have one on my hybrid and my road bike. Though its a personal choice, I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/power-expert/p/155978
Old 06-29-20, 07:51 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JS41989
Specialized Power Expert Saddle is by far the most comfortable I've ever used. Have one on my hybrid and my road bike. Though its a personal choice, I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/power-expert/p/155978
Appreciate it. I am enjoying the Fizik - still adjusting to a much firmer saddle, but an improvement, though I am considering trying the Power Expert. What width is yours? I did a home sit-bone measurement and measured at 138. My Fizik is a 160 and from what I can tell it seems ok. Still too new to really know whether it's too wide or narrow. The Power Expert comes in 155 and 168 I believe, so I am unsure of which one to get. Any insight on the fit?
Old 06-30-20, 04:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have several Fizik Vitesse saddles they're sort of B17 like width, but lighter.. and no leather ..
Old 07-02-20, 08:51 AM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Capping off my own thread for anyone considering these saddles... The Fizik wasn't bad. It reduced numbness but it did create a little discomfort on my sit bones. Then I tried the Specialized Power Expert. I chose the 168 (plan to try the 155 at some point too) and it is just so much better. Exceptionally comfortable. It's my saddle now! Thanks for all the help and insight.
Old 07-02-20, 11:51 AM
sanger68

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about your concern around the position being more aggressive vs. upright -- non-issue?
Old 07-02-20, 11:59 AM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sanger68
What about your concern around the position being more aggressive vs. upright -- non-issue?
Non-issue. The Power Expert is perfectly comfortably for my moderate riding position.