Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

FTP test fail - what should I do now?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 09:52 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took a FTP test today, and IMHO, I failed miserably. The last time I took a FTP test, was mid September and I came out at 257w.

This morning, I attempted to re-test in order to begin a spring threshold improvement training regimen, and I came out around 223. Granted the 257 was outdoors, and today's test was indoors. Also, I just came back from 2 weeks of traveling on Friday, and have only ridden the bike on the trainer 2x - one time being only a 45 minute recovery. While away, I did do spinning classes about 4x per week, and did some long runs 5-11miles.

Do you guys think I should ride another week, and re-test, or should I go ahead set up my 12 week plan based on my results today on the trainer, and being indoors?

Thanks
Old 01-05-12, 10:00 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
rule of thumb is one week for every week lost in order to regain training. if you want, retest outside when you are well rested (your stress balance will be a good indicator, though i've set all of my long term power records on TSB between -5 and -15)

if you use all the periodization metrics, use 223 for now and back date it when you test higher a few weeks later.

one thing about riding inside: i really don't find it harder when I have a huge window fan cooling me down (thanks for the tip Mikey!).
Old 01-05-12, 10:16 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
I'd split the difference between the 2 numbers, and see how that feels. If its too hard go back to the 223 number, and retest in a couple of weeks.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-05-12, 10:19 AM
Quel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
257 to 223 is a loss of 13%. A lot of people report being 5-10% lower on the indoor trainer versus outside, so I wouldn't stress out about it. If you are going to be doing all your training indoors, use the 223 and work from there.
Old 01-05-12, 10:23 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Use 223 for indoor workouts, retest for outdoors. There's a bunch of information on why most people tend to produce lower FTP numbers indoors.

You should be retesting at least monthly in any case, or every three weeks if that's your rest/recovery cycle.
Old 01-05-12, 10:33 AM
petalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll also add that I caught a little bit of a head cold towards the end of my trip, which finally cleared up on Monday/Tuesday, so I'm sure that might have had an effect. Also, the test I took in Sept. was at the tail end of a training block ( I used the TCTP this year with great success ), so I think I was in pretty good form.

I think I'll set my FTP at 230 ( round up a bit ) and see how that feels. I'll be ordering one of Coggan's cookie cutter winter threshold improvement plans today and will use that into the spring crit series, which is in March. Once I'm done with it, I'll transition into my TCTP.
Old 01-05-12, 10:45 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by petalpower
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll also add that I caught a little bit of a head cold towards the end of my trip, which finally cleared up on Monday/Tuesday, so I'm sure that might have had an effect. Also, the test I took in Sept. was at the tail end of a training block ( I used the TCTP this year with great success ), so I think I was in pretty good form.

I think I'll set my FTP at 230 ( round up a bit ) and see how that feels. I'll be ordering one of Coggan's cookie cutter winter threshold improvement plans today and will use that into the spring crit series, which is in March. Once I'm done with it, I'll transition into my TCTP.
Took me about 4 days after symptoms of head cold subsided and 2 days of training (first training session one day after symptoms subsided) before I was able to do things pre-sickness. Those first two days of training blows, and RPE will be really high.

If you are using the Carmichael plan, then a 13% decline isn't out of the ordinary. My biggest gripe about the book is that he sheepishly state the fact that when you get off form, it's not a slow decline but a freefall as you can't fall back onto some well-established base.
Old 01-05-12, 10:51 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i foudn that when i tested indoors i lost about 10% of my outdoor ftp, and personally i beleieve that my outdoor ftp has risen alot since i last tested it. i had a 20 min section in the middle of a 3 hour ride where i rode at only 5 watts less than my max 20 min power, and i wasn't struggling that much.
Old 01-05-12, 11:03 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I've never been able to do a test outdoors. Is there one that's shorter than 20 min?

I've only done my tests indoors.

220w. I was going to say "Welcome to my world". You're good enough to upgrade to Cat 2. Heh.
Old 01-05-12, 11:04 AM
petalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Took me about 4 days after symptoms of head cold subsided and 2 days of training (first training session one day after symptoms subsided) before I was able to do things pre-sickness. Those first two days of training blows, and RPE will be really high.

If you are using the Carmichael plan, then a 13% decline isn't out of the ordinary. My biggest gripe about the book is that he sheepishly state the fact that when you get off form, it's not a slow decline but a freefall as you can't fall back onto some well-established base.

I agree with the rapid loss of fitness once the intervals are either stopped, or scaled back. I did have success though using the plan as I won 2 crits here in Colorado - which I don't think is an easy feat. at 145lbs, and a peak wattage of 1300, I was able to grab 2 wins - one on a very technical go-cart track where my confidence in cornering ( from racing motorcycles for years ) was helpful. So the plan has worked for me. Whether a traditional plan would yield even better results I don't know.

I run into burn-out issues when I start riding more than about 9 hours per week. Plus I have family ( wife and 4 month old girl ) and professional commitments that are my priority.
Old 01-05-12, 11:06 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it hurts the ego, but set it where you tested. that's why you did the test, correct?

start your program and keep an eye on your wattages. if you start blowing your zones out of the water or fail to hit them, then you know you need to revise.
Old 01-05-12, 11:17 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
it hurts the ego, but set it where you tested. that's why you did the test, correct?

start your program and keep an eye on your wattages. if you start blowing your zones out of the water or fail to hit them, then you know you need to revise.
+1
Old 01-05-12, 12:44 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I've never been able to do a test outdoors. Is there one that's shorter than 20 min?

220w. I was going to say "Welcome to my world". You're good enough to upgrade to Cat 2. Heh.
I've always done mine indoors as well, and I'm not far from you at 230. Of course, that is more fitting for my Cat 4 status.
Old 01-05-12, 02:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've always done mine indoors as well, and I'm not far from you at 230. Of course, that is more fitting for my Cat 4 status.
Well, I'm not a 2 anymore so it's kind of a moot thing. I hope to get the number back up a bit though.
Old 01-05-12, 04:01 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
+1
+2

my race videos
Old 01-05-12, 10:34 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing

Really? I think my team's computrainer is very generous, either that or I should be able to just ride off the front of my Cat-4 races next year. To test it, I just do an all-out 30 minute time trial as I read in Joe Freil's blog. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by Debusama; 01-06-12 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 10:48 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Debusama
Really? I think my team's computrainer is very generous, either that or I should be able to just ride off the front of my Cat-4 races next year. To test it, I just do an all-out 30 minute time trial as I red in Joe Freil's blog. Am I doing it wrong?
that's what i do, except 35 minutes and not all out. If i hit higher numbers in subsequent intervals sessions, i adjust upwards. i subscribe to training is testing
Old 01-06-12, 07:47 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't be a power absolutist

Comparing your numbers to others is stupid and counterproductive.

The FTP number exists for one reason only: To determine accurate training zones for you. you.

you.

you.

u.

you.

not anyone else.
Old 01-13-12, 09:05 AM
petalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and just used a pre-packaged winter FTP improvement plan from Training Peaks. Should yield better results than last winters "just ride the trainer" plan.
Old 01-13-12, 09:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Debusama
Really? I think my team's computrainer is very generous, either that or I should be able to just ride off the front of my Cat-4 races next year. To test it, I just do an all-out 30 minute time trial as I read in Joe Freil's blog. Am I doing it wrong?
I can't ride off the front of any race. But my FTP is what it is. I can't climb either, not as well as most Cat 5s. In fact I get dropped on climbs by non racing men and women in their 50s on a local shop ride, some carrying some serious amounts of stuff on their bike.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and just used a pre-packaged winter FTP improvement plan from Training Peaks. Should yield better results than last winters "just ride the trainer" plan.
I was thinking I should change something from my jrtt plan but yesterday when I decided to "go hard" I gave up after 20 or 30 seconds. So jrtt it is for me, at least for now.
Old 01-13-12, 09:13 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Comparing your numbers to others is stupid and counterproductive.
+1. Ignore the left side of the ewang chart.
Old 01-13-12, 09:14 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's anything like the sample plan in the A&C book, it works.
Old 01-13-12, 09:16 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
+1. Ignore the left side of the ewang chart.
Dammit, well there goes the only part of this universe in which I am/will ever be a Cat 2.
Old 01-13-12, 09:19 AM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I am sort of using this plan, there isn't much riding in the plan, but tons of gym work. 1.5 months into it and if I had actually followed the plan, the best I could hope for would be to maintain my FTP, based on what I've seen so far, there's no way my FTP would rise using the plan. I'm doing maybe 1 workout a week out of the plan and doing my own intervals on the days where the plan wouldn't help me.
Old 01-13-12, 09:21 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Dammit, well there goes the only part of this universe in which I am/will ever be a Cat 2.
I give you two years max, maybe less. You have all the right stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.