Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Numb feet-- I know it's common and I've searched the forum...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 01:12 PM
wheels78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried loosening the shoes, I moved the cleats back as far as they will go. I tried "superfeet" with zero improvement. Same problem in all my shoes and with different cleat systems. Nothing has worked so far. It's gotten worse over the years. Now I'm considering going to a podiatrist but I really can't imagine what he'll do that I haven't already tried. Anyone here with the same problem go to a foot doctor with good results?

I'm thinking about trying something like the Wellgo B184 Flat Pedals with regular walking shoes but I really prefer using cleats. I'm running out of options here.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-12-13, 01:14 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you gone in for a proper fitting with an experience (well-regarded/reviewed) fitter?
Old 06-12-13, 01:18 PM
chil2makefun

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the same problem and something which has helped me a lot (not completely) is the fizik 3d flex custom moldable insole. my feet were killing me, pain in the arches... now these are completely gone but i still had some numb toes. Maybe this will be gone the next time i ride since i've moved my cleats back. If you'd like i'll shoot you a pm when i ride again but this will not be too soon since i have exams atm.
Old 06-12-13, 01:44 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I would try new insoles as well. I move the Specialized BG inserts from my Specialized MTB shoes to my Sidi road shoes.
Old 06-12-13, 02:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
There's a technique issue here too.

Purposefully relax your foot. You may be curling your toes, foot, up to grab the pedal; wiggle your feet in your shoe if they start getting numb, try raising your cadence and lowering your gear, also concentrate on the up stroke, giving your foot a break from the downward pressure.

If you've got good shoes, that fit well, on a bike that fits you, and you've ruled out medical problems; it's your technique.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-12-13, 02:03 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Custom shoes also are very nice but expensive.

www.rocket7.com
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-12-13, 02:34 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
There's a technique issue here too.

Purposefully relax your foot. You may be curling your toes, foot, up to grab the pedal; wiggle your feet in your shoe if they start getting numb, try raising your cadence and lowering your gear, also concentrate on the up stroke, giving your foot a break from the downward pressure.

If you've got good shoes, that fit well, on a bike that fits you, and you've ruled out medical problems; it's your technique.
YES. In my 20 years of foot issues, noting medical has done nearly as much for my feet as adjusting to a proper pedal motion.
Old 06-12-13, 02:42 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I had outer toe numbness wedges and esoles worked for me. stevehoggbikefitting.com
Old 06-12-13, 02:58 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Just possible that your problem is your saddle. Pressure on the inside of your crotch can compress the nerve and make it feel as if your foot is numb. I'd be suspicious of this if it is one sided and affects a neural distribution (i.e. only a portion of the foot).
Old 06-12-13, 05:41 PM
darb85

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your size as well. alot of riders are in way to small of shoes.
Old 06-12-13, 06:46 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Check your size as well. alot of riders are in way to small of shoes.
And a lot of riders have shoes that just don't fit their feet properly. Both of these will cause numbness and pain.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 06-12-13, 07:01 PM
wheels78

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I'll get it worked out.

Bob
Old 06-12-13, 09:01 PM
yochris 

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jandro
Have you gone in for a proper fitting with an experience (well-regarded/reviewed) fitter?
Do you know such a fitter on the Bay Area that is well versed in foot issues, or just one you recommend? I had a pretty thorough fitting when I bought my new bike, but he didn't have a lot of special insight on my foot issues. I get numb toes pretty quickly into my rides and I am on my third pair of shoes. Would love to talk to someone who has experience dealing with these kinds of things.

Last edited by yochris; 06-12-13 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 09:11 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Saddle too far forward? Iv'e noticed my toes start to get numb if I have insufficient setback and having the bar too low might be why you've set it up that way.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 06-12-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 09:29 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yochris
Do you know such a fitter on the Bay Area that is well versed in foot issues, or just one you recommend? I had a pretty thorough fitting when I bought my new bike, but he didn't have a lot of special insight on my foot issues. I get numb toes pretty quickly into my rides and I am on my third pair of shoes. Would love to talk to someone who has experience dealing with these kinds of things.

Go to retul usa website and search for a fitter in your area. Then call a couple fitters and talk to them or go to their shop and talk to them. Once you find a fitter you like, make an appointment.
Old 06-12-13, 09:41 PM
yochris 

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting Clem. Definitely not the bar height as I don't have much drop as is and am actually thinking about losing some spacers. Saddle placement is also interesting because I switched to a post with less setback after my fitting. On the stock one, I had the saddle all the way back and and still felt myself scooting off the back edge to get myself in the right spot.

Could be my feet are just picky or I have ****ty circulation. I used to get numb toes in my snowboard boots too, so maybe I just need to find the right shoes to minimize it.
Old 06-12-13, 09:46 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
If you sit upright in your chair with your feet tucked close in and then scoot forward by degrees you'll see more and more weight is transfered onto your toes. This is what cuts off circulation. Your shoes might be cinched too tight though too. I bet you're falling off the back of your saddle because it's too low. First settle the setback issue then start raising your saddle by increments until you no longer fall off the back. Since your bars aren't too low it's possible you have insufficient reach. It's great to be really stretched out with the noise of your saddle slightly up, this creates a dynamic tension which keeps you from scooting forward while transfering maximum power to the pedals. The Competitive Cyclist fit calculator suggests what seems to be really crazy-long reach but I think it's accurate.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 06-12-13 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 09:48 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Just possible that your problem is your saddle. Pressure on the inside of your crotch can compress the nerve and make it feel as if your foot is numb. I'd be suspicious of this if it is one sided and affects a neural distribution (i.e. only a portion of the foot).
+1000.

How are the discs in your lower back? This is how it started for me and it ended up with spinal surgery.

Old 06-13-13, 07:02 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
How do your feet do in regular shoes in day to day walking life? Although you prefer cleats you might be surprised how much retention you get with comfortable shoes with grippy soles on a pedal like the MKS Grip Kings. Try it for a couple of weeks to get used to it and see if that alleviates it.
Old 06-13-13, 10:33 AM
ovoleg