Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand signals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 05:15 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Hand signals?

So I was passing a couple - guy in front and a woman behind him. As I was coming up on her left and passing, she did what I took to be a signal - tapped her left top of her thigh then pointed downward. I just rode by. Was she telling me I could pass on the left?
Old 07-20-19, 05:23 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I've found that if a rider is pointing downward, they are pointing to something that you may want to avoid. Pothole, part of a broken branch, piece of glass, etc. No idea what it means along with tapping to top of the thigh.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-20-19, 05:28 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yes, pointing down usually means something to go around.
Old 07-20-19, 06:25 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I've been riding for 40 yrs and I have no idea what that means. I agree that pointing down means there's something in the road to be avoided.
Old 07-20-19, 06:34 AM
Rowdy
Juicy

Bikes: Waterford, Surly Long Haul Trucker,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I agree with what has already been written. She was pointing to something on the ground. I don't tap my thigh but I point to the ground and shake my hand trying to get the attention of riders behind me if I spot something on the ground.
Old 07-20-19, 08:47 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Numb hand. After you passed she probably shook it a bit.
Old 07-20-19, 08:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Trying to get your attention?
Old 07-20-19, 09:48 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I give up. Probably numb hands. I assumed she knew I was coming up by having a take-a-look mirror but didn't check / see it.
Old 07-20-19, 10:09 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
So I was passing a couple - guy in front and a woman behind him. As I was coming up on her left and passing, she did what I took to be a signal - tapped her left top of her thigh then pointed downward. I just rode by. Was she telling me I could pass on the left?
Asking for a massage?

A level, exaggerated forward waving motion with the left hand, is the standard way of indicating " safe to go around me on the left."

Ok?
Old 07-20-19, 10:25 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky. I was quite perplexed until I realized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.
Likes For JasonD67:
Old 07-20-19, 10:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky. I was quite perplexed until I realized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.
I don't see a lot of cyclists using hand signals, but on the occasional group ride I've done, it is about 50/50, or perhaps 30/70 on using the right or left hand to do right turn signals.

Of course, some of those group rides are with the over-50 crowd.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-20-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 11:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I use hand signals for turn indicators when cars are present. Today, I gave the ol' right turn signal with my left arm when I came up to an intersection where I had no stop sign and the car at that intersection did have a stop sign.

It goes back to my motorcycle days and your right hand is for the throttle and front brake. Due to motorcycles, I always move my front brake lever to the right handlebar.

Motorcycle hand signals in the webpage below.
5 Things to Keep in Mind when Motorcycle Group Riding ? Motorcycle Central
Old 07-20-19, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I have wondered about the difference of using right vs left for right turns. Using the arm on the "road side" may be more visible to vehicles, although pointing where one is wishing to turn is very clear to everyone.

I'd use both arms, but I don't like riding without hands (an experiment gone wrong many years ago).

I usually only signal right when it would "make a difference". Cars pulling out of a road I'm turning into, cars coming up from behind, and could make the turn around me, etc.

For left turns, I usually verify the path is clear before making my move, but still am more likely to use a left signal if there are cars somewhere back there.
Old 07-20-19, 11:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Patting the hip, by some "serious" roadies, means go ahead and draft. Pointing down may have been her embellishment giving you permission to move up closer.

I'd have taken it to be a request to stay behind for now. But personally, when I'm not riding with your group I don't care much about your signals and I don't take direction at all - my judgment is almost always better than a random group rider's is. I'd have done the same thing you did. Just pass and quickly get clear of whatever it is that they had going on.
Old 07-20-19, 11:26 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
That is the universal signal for passing gas and to avoid the area. She was doing you a huge favor.
Old 07-20-19, 12:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Patting the hip, by some "serious" roadies, means go ahead and draft. Pointing down may have been her embellishment giving you permission to move up closer.
I agree - the hip/thigh tap might have been a permission to draft signal.

The pointing might have been a standard road hazard signal. If I'm just riding along on some road and see another cyclist not too far back, I start pointing out hazards and gravel - because 1) I care about my fellow cyclists, and 2) it shows that I'm aware of their presence and 'serious' enough that they can choose to pass, or draft, without worrying that I'm going to erratically move off my line.

People I ride with signal - a lot. Then again, we have a lot of hazards, and we also like to demonstrate that the vast majority of cyclists are law-abiding citizens who follow the rules of the road.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-20-19, 12:28 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Damn. You must be as old as me. You remember hand signals for cars? Wow.
Old 07-20-19, 12:50 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
Likes For JasonD67:
Old 07-20-19, 01:18 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
MN Bike handbook hand signal page:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hand sig.pdf (1.74 MB, 26 views)
Old 07-20-19, 01:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
Even if they do know a raised 90deg bend left arm means turn right- it's an unnecessary signal for cyclists.
Drivers needed to do it because their left arm was the only one available to stick out a window for signal visibility.
A cyclist doesnt have that issue.

I ride with a youth mentor program where there are 35 teens and a couple dozen adults. We teach hand signals each year at the start and officially teach that either a left arm up or a right arm pointed right is acceptable. I silently pout each year though. Left arm up for cycling is unnecessary.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-19, 03:14 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky. I was quite perplexed until I re

alized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.

Was he wearing a helmet and was his bike wearing a kickstand?
Old 07-20-19, 11:47 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You should have just asked her what she meant.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-21-19, 02:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Even if they do know a raised 90deg bend left arm means turn right- it's an unnecessary signal for cyclists.
Drivers needed to do it because their left arm was the only one available to stick out a window for signal visibility.
A cyclist doesnt have that issue.

I ride with a youth mentor program where there are 35 teens and a couple dozen adults. We teach hand signals each year at the start and officially teach that either a left arm up or a right arm pointed right is acceptable. I silently pout each year though. Left arm up for cycling is unnecessary.
Wouldn't be surprised if many drivers have no idea what a "left hand raised" means since many haven't a clue about proper driving. POINTING pretty much is self explanatory.

TAPPING BUTT can also mean the same as flicking fingers or flicking arm = I'm done pulling. POINTING after the tap could indicate to pass on this side.
Old 07-21-19, 03:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
That's how I was taught, and that's how I've done it for decades until fairly recently. Now I might do that, or I might do the pointing thing.
Old 07-21-19, 04:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I believe it is perfectly acceptable to just point in the direction you are turning with the arm/hand on the side in the direction you are turning. I also move the arm, from the elbow, up and down as approaching. I find that a lot of motorists wil nod or wave in thanks for signaling your intentions. I do it for myself and for the motorist. I do no signaling if there is no traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.