Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Teaching a diversity class

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-03-19, 01:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts

Unofficial but someone has to do it. I’m smoking some food and having a few brews this evening no big deal. But I’m going to teach some of my peers about diversity . Like Hondo Texas is not the center of the universe and people that are different are not on dope Austin is not a city to fear and you are OK if you don’t own a weed eater and a chainsaw. It will be interesting and I will have some fun at their expense but they have had this coming for awhile now. I will report later on how some forced education might save some of them I can’t wait ....
Old 10-03-19, 04:22 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 102 Posts
I sense the beginning on an epic thread.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 10-05-19, 11:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Ok the report: I had to explain that heterosexuals can contract HIV and explained how. Not to going to bother you all because you all already know. One who likes Confederate flags didn’t have a clue about The Battle Of Gettysburg. Seriously, cycling a sissy sport? Rode the bike a few hundred yards and was hyperventilating I said you might want to see a cardiologist. Well you get what I’m talking about. Not all of them were that dense but a few are and I was just having fun with the dense ones because they are not shy about voicing their opinions even how ridiculous they are. Oh there were a few that are education experts that had all the solutions for the local school district but couldn’t even pass Lunch.
Old 10-06-19, 12:32 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Not really teaching so much as trying to overcome a lifetime of indoctrination. People are capable of learning, but it's far easier to dismiss ideas that don't fit than to change long held beliefs.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-07-19, 12:41 PM
no motor?

How much Natural Light got consumed?
Likes For no motor?:
Old 10-07-19, 01:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 161 Posts
And when you teach them about diversity what exactly is it that you want them to know? Do you teach them that it exists, or how they need to tolerate it?
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-07-19, 01:53 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Who's to say what is diversity? You? Me? Everyone has a POV. It's not teaching diversity, it's preaching your POV. I'm not trying to be critical to your efforts, just sayin.
Old 10-07-19, 03:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway View Post
Who's to say what is diversity? You? Me? Everyone has a POV. It's not teaching diversity, it's preaching your POV. I'm not trying to be critical to your efforts, just sayin.
Well diversity, in this case, refers to an understanding not the state of being. That's to say its not something individually defined. Although the recognition of diversity can be individualized, as well as manifest along many lines from age to ethnicity.

When I hear of diversity I think of gender and sexual orientation since those are the ones most classes are locked in on in virtually every aspect of our society. Neither are new, but our referencing to them is. You can modify a prejudice, but you can't legislate a belief.
Old 10-07-19, 03:45 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Y’all taking this too seriously. It a way of making fun of my own culture and environment. It’s like messing around with you’re buds in good fun. They are all good hard working people. Nobody got all angry or anything. They would fire back about my ballet clothes I wear when I’m out biking
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-07-19, 03:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
How much Natural Light got consumed?
Not going to lie there was a fair share of alcohol consumed. But, Keystone Light the official beer of Hondo and the surrounding towns.
Old 10-07-19, 04:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
my ballet clothes I wear when Iím out biking
I recently got a good laugh at my (small) credit union branch when a kid there was staring at me in my tights. I did a pirouet and exited to much hilarity. I know how to do a pirouet because back when I worked in a computer chip factory that was required three (times)when going through the air shower into the factory. Clean room donít you know. Thanks.
Old 10-07-19, 05:41 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 51 Posts
Austin is not a city to fear and you are OK if you don’t own a weed eater and a chainsaw.
I lived in Austin for a time many years ago. And I work for a large university, so I'm all about diversity.

But not owning a weed eater and a chainsaw? I have trouble wrapping my head around that concept.

(I would have figured the beer would have been Shiner, but my time in Texas was decades ago.)
Old 10-07-19, 05:45 PM
no motor?

Not going to lie there was a fair share of alcohol consumed. But, Keystone Light the official beer of Hondo and the surrounding towns.
I bet the 30 pack was the unit of measure.
Old 10-07-19, 06:03 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
A 30 pack would come in quite handy, for when Hondo does his lecture on "The Golden Age of Streaming". No notes, it's all completely natural and spontaneous.
Old 10-07-19, 10:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
A 30 pack would come in quite handy, for when Hondo does his lecture on "The Golden Age of Streaming". No notes, it's all completely natural and spontaneous.
you are a psychic! I was trying to stream some music but my crummy Hughesnet satellite internet is too slow! Dang! Just a music stream. So yes sir! I would love to lecture on streaming if I could actually stream! Now I can tell everyone about music in the 1980s with cassette tapes.
Old 10-07-19, 10:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Yup they violate the the traditional 24 count case and made a 30 pack. But look closely at the beer aisle you gotta look at the cost per ounce to see if you are getting a better deal or not. At that point it doesnít matter.
Old 10-07-19, 11:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
I recently got a good laugh at my (small) credit union branch when a kid there was staring at me in my tights. I did a pirouet and exited to much hilarity. I know how to do a pirouet because back when I worked in a computer chip factory that was required three (times)when going through the air shower into the factory. Clean room donít you know. Thanks.
I had to look up ďpirouetĒ because this redneck had no clue what that was. Now that I got pirouet education Iím and I hear ya. Bike clothing has cause hate toward the wardrobe. A friend wanted to start bicycling I said get the appropriate clothing you are not trying to make a fashion statement. At first refused until the bike butt and the raw skin too ahold. Now he said, ď you ainít BS-ing ď he purchased the clothing via Amazon and have been a comfortable ride since.
Old 10-08-19, 02:49 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 156 Posts
not Lone Star?
Old 10-08-19, 02:50 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 156 Posts
people that are different are not on dope
What makes the different people different is they are not on dope
Old 10-08-19, 10:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9442 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 578 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway View Post
I don't think teaching people that it's possible for heterosexuals to get HIV is preaching a POV. If any of them are sexually active, it might be life saving knowledge.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-09-19, 12:28 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I lived in Austin for a time many years ago. And I work for a large university, so I'm all about diversity.

But not owning a weed eater and a chainsaw? I have trouble wrapping my head around that concept.

(I would have figured the beer would have been Shiner, but my time in Texas was decades ago.)
1974 classic movie made by UT students. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre . where I live we have many weeds to eat and a lot of dead trees and other lumber to saw. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre the original 1974 version still scares the beezeegers out of me.
Old 10-09-19, 12:36 AM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
What makes the different people different is they are not on dope
If you donít agree with me then you are on dope but it is only a statement that people here use when you donít conform to the local society. Like if so and so daughter is not Mary Poppins and went to the KISS concert she must be on dope
Old 10-09-19, 09:17 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I don't think teaching people that it's possible for heterosexuals to get HIV is preaching a POV. If any of them are sexually active, it might be life saving knowledge.
I don't disagree with you SF. But IMHO that not diversity, that's Sex Ed.
Likes For woodway:
Old 10-10-19, 05:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3062 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 295 Posts
Just remembering any extended family reunion would put me off the idea of trying diversity training. The longer between visits and farther the distance, the better off we are.

Over the years I've heard the views on the sanctity of marriage from cousins with five or six kids, each from a different baby daddy. And I've heard 'em badmouth Mexicans and Jews while holding their half-Hispanic grandbabies and sitting next to their Jewish husbands. And talking about how we need more law and order while at least one kid from each cousin is in the lockup for drunk driving, burglary or assault. And accusing one of the local community colleges of devil worship because they confused the community college with the initials for that Dallas Methodist college -- and to a good Texas Babtizz, a Methodist is one step away from a pagan.

No amount of diversity training can overcome a lifetime of cognitive dissonance ingrained from birth.

Somehow Garrison Keillor made a career of concocting amusing stories from his comparable Minnesotan Norwegian Lutheran kin and neighbors. He must be a more generous soul than I. If I had a radio show with monologues about Texans it would sound more like a cross between a Joe Lansdale horror story or Toadies song than a heartwarming tale for Sunday morning radio, tucked between sermons and weekly news roundups.
Old 10-10-19, 05:47 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
"Well, that's the news from Gun Barrel Texas, where all the women are bipolar, all the men are in prison, and all the children are short, mean, and stupid."

J/K (Texans are all armed).
Likes For Lemond1985:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.