Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can 11 speed chain work on 7 speed cassette?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can 11 speed chain work on 7 speed cassette?

Old 10-12-19, 04:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9593 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
KMC makes some very good chains. You don’t know WTF you are talking about on that one.
I get ACA’s magazine. Each issue has a bike review. Many (if not most) of the bikes are equipped with KMC chains. All things considered, I think the OP is yanking our chains. Time to bounce from this thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-14-19, 09:17 AM
Cheez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Guys (and LiveDark), my bike was recently restored due to rust on the chain and wheels that were stolen... When I got the wheel replacement I got the one that came with the 7 spd cassette... the cassette is severely worn out, the teeth are bent/twisted, but the chain (Shimano HG71) I put on there is brand new so they are not mated together well.. And I do experience popping out of gear once in a while... I lubed a lot so the noise is reduced to minimal. I was hoping to get both the new cassette and 11 speed Campy chain... or stick with my Shimano HG71 chain and just replace the cassette? That would be an boring upgrade.

Homebrew01, I like the crankset in your profile pic... Is that an old era Campy Record?

Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
You paid $100, 27 years ago, which, adjusted for inflation, is $183.01...

Massive rip-off.
It was a jewelry-like. Looks better than any other new chains I see on the market. That chain was definitely narrow... narrower than my Shimano HG71 chain.

So you've went from wanting a new chain, and possibly a cassette, to considering spending over $2k on upgrades for a $200 bike?
According to your logic (your inflation calculation) my bike is $1,830... ($1000 x 1.83 inflation rate)

I don't know.. I am still thinking. I may get a Shimano HG41 7 speed cassette but the teeth spec is off.. it's 11-28 teeth. My current one is 13-23 teeth. I want 11-23 or 12-24 teeth. 28 teeth makes the cassette look kind of ugly.
Old 10-14-19, 10:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 253 Posts
What part of “an 11-speed chain is too pointless to be an upgrade” isn’t sinking in?

Shimano doesn’t make 7-speed cassettes with “road” gearing anymore. If you want a 13-23, search eBay for old stock and be prepared to pay a little more than HG41 prices. I stocked up when they were still cheap.

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-14-19 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 02:28 PM
theDirtyLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You guys, the OP ordered a chain online (for a price that defies belief) in 1992.
You know, the first year there was an internet.
Likes For theDirtyLemon:
Old 10-14-19, 06:53 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2687 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Guys (and LiveDark), my bike was recently restored due to rust on the chain and wheels that were stolen... When I got the wheel replacement I got the one that came with the 7 spd cassette... the cassette is severely worn out, the teeth are bent/twisted, but the chain (Shimano HG71) I put on there is brand new so they are not mated together well.. And I do experience popping out of gear once in a while... I lubed a lot so the noise is reduced to minimal. I was hoping to get both the new cassette and 11 speed Campy chain... or stick with my Shimano HG71 chain and just replace the cassette? That would be an boring upgrade.

Homebrew01, I like the crankset in your profile pic... Is that an old era Campy Record?

It was a jewelry-like. Looks better than any other new chains I see on the market. That chain was definitely narrow... narrower than my Shimano HG71 chain.

According to your logic (your inflation calculation) my bike is $1,830... ($1000 x 1.83 inflation rate)

I don't know.. I am still thinking. I may get a Shimano HG41 7 speed cassette but the teeth spec is off.. it's 11-28 teeth. My current one is 13-23 teeth. I want 11-23 or 12-24 teeth. 28 teeth makes the cassette look kind of ugly.

Sorry, I can't relate to this at all. You seem more concerned with the aesthetics of chain and cassette than their actual function. Get a new cassette on there, and then fine tune if it doesn't work to your satisfaction. It's a drive train, not a fashion statement. "Wow, beautiful bike chain!" said no one, ever.I

Oh, and that's not how the inflation calculator works. Bikes depreciate in value over time, as did your Rohloff chain.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-14-19 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-14-19, 07:41 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Sorry, I can't relate to this at all. You seem more concerned with the aesthetics of chain and cassette than their actual function. Get a new cassette on there, and then fine tune if it doesn't work to your satisfaction. It's a drive train, not a fashion statement. "Wow, beautiful bike chain!" said no one, ever.I
Oh, and that's not how the inflation calculator works. Bikes depreciate in value over time, as did your Rohloff chain.
I've been known to compliment the cleanliness of people's chains.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-14-19, 07:42 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon View Post
You guys, the OP ordered a chain online (for a price that defies belief) in 1992.
You know, the first year there was an internet.
Mosaic debuted in 93.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-14-19, 08:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 99 Posts
Guys (and LiveDark), my bike was recently restored due to rust on the chain and wheels that were stolen... When I got the wheel replacement I got the one that came with the 7 spd cassette... the cassette is severely worn out, the teeth are bent/twisted, but the chain (Shimano HG71) I put on there is brand new so they are not mated together well...
Your teeth are likely "bent & twisted" because it's likely a uniglide cassette with twisted tooth design to assist in shifts. google "uniglide cassette"

It was a jewelry-like. Looks better than any other new chains I see on the market. That chain was definitely narrow... narrower than my Shimano HG71 chain. Here buy another one for less than the $100 - 27 years later
https://www.ebay.com/c/1520942936

I don't know.. I am still thinking. I may get a Shimano HG41 7 speed cassette but the teeth spec is off.. it's 11-28 teeth. My current one is 13-23 teeth. I want 11-23 or 12-24 teeth. 28 teeth makes the cassette look kind of ugly. You need to determine if you have a uniglide or hyperglide freehub and what the differences are. Even a pretty HG (Hyperglide) cassette won't fit on a uniglide (UG) freehub.
See above.
You already have $500 into a $250 bike. Until you understand speeds, hyperglide, uniglide, chains, etc you are just spinning you wheels

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...th-fixing.html
Old 10-14-19, 08:17 PM
theDirtyLemon

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Mosaic debuted in 93.
I assume he got the chain via FTP.
Old 10-14-19, 08:31 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gopher.

John
Likes For jad3675:
Old 10-14-19, 08:34 PM
theDirtyLemon

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
gopher.

John
yes!
Likes For theDirtyLemon:
Old 10-15-19, 04:55 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
I've been known to compliment the cleanliness of people's chains.
​​​​​
Different issue--you're complimenting the maintenance. Are 7 speed chains intrinsically dirtier than 11 speed? Did you compliment the "thinness?"
Old 10-15-19, 08:00 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I downloaded the chain from Napster once.

YouTube
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 10-15-19, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
See above.
You already have $500 into a $250 bike. Until you understand speeds, hyperglide, uniglide, chains, etc you are just spinning you wheels

I just went to that thread and looked at the picture of his bike--the chain looks immaculate and fine for the bike. He needs to spend a few bucks on a new cassette and the thing should ride beautifully.

This is one of the weirdest threads ever--he can't have money to burn on a chain that will probably work like crap just for esthetic reasons.
Old 10-15-19, 09:12 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Planet X Carbon Pro Evo SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
An 11 speed chain will have narrower links than a 7 speed chain, ...
That actually isn't true. The side plates are thinner but gap between is actually the same - from memory 3/32". That doesn't mean it would work well, of course, as others have commented. I'd certainly opt for a good 7-speed chain.
Old 10-15-19, 09:56 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Guys (and LiveDark), my bike was recently restored due to rust on the chain and wheels that were stolen... When I got the wheel replacement I got the one that came with the 7 spd cassette... the cassette is severely worn out, the teeth are bent/twisted, but the chain (Shimano HG71) I put on there is brand new so they are not mated together well.. And I do experience popping out of gear once in a while...I lubed a lot so the noise is reduced to minimal. I was hoping to get both the new cassette and 11 speed Campy chain... or stick with my Shimano HG71 chain and just replace the cassette? That would be an boring upgrade.

The teeth are intentionally twisted to improve shifting.
Yes, stick with a 7 speed chain.
Get the range of gearing you need, not based on looks.

Yes, my crankset is an older Campagnolo model (Chorus?)

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-15-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 10:02 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 94 Posts
I have a Trek 1400 road bike and has a 7 speed cassette.
Does your bike have "Indexed" shifting, where the shifter "Clicks" for each gear ?
Or is it "Friction" shifting, where you have to find each gear by "feel" ?

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-15-19, 11:28 AM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
​​​​​
Different issue--you're complimenting the maintenance. Are 7 speed chains intrinsically dirtier than 11 speed? Did you compliment the "thinness?"
That's not true cause you can do good maintenance but the chain (and other components) would still look dirty. I used to go on bike rides with groups in bicycle clubs.. one of the meets is from the rich town and these guys had high end bikes and they complimented me for the such beautiful chain and asked me if my chain was waxed I said yes. You see these people know stuff.

I just checked the item description detail on the Rohloff chain provided by a member dedhed here. Read this quote - "Leave the factory lube on this when you install it." I told you this chain doesn't need a lot of lubing. My chain had factory lube, then I waxed and polished. That thing was amazingly smooth and quiet.
Old 10-15-19, 11:37 AM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
See above.

Thank you for the link to the Rohloff chain on ebay. Looks like you found the one I had I think. That chain price dropped by $10 since 1992 lol... talk anout holding its value. You see high end stuff like chains and cassettes and such can actually increase value over time. Same way the classic super cars increse in value many years later...

I'm not quite ready to spend $100 on as chain though...my pocket is limited as I'm homeless. I would still like to have it some day... and I can't buy from ebay cause they don't ship to local places for pickup like the Amazon does.. I can only order stuff that Amazon delivers to its pickup hub locations. If you guys live in Indianapolis area I might have to ask you guys a favor to have stuff shipped over to you so I can pick them up in the future.

And yes my current cassette is hyperglide. That's what says on the side of the gears on the cassette so it's not uniglide.

Last edited by Cheez; 10-15-19 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 11:42 AM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
The teeth are intentionally twisted to improve shifting.
Yes, stick with a 7 speed chain.
Get the range of gearing you need, not based on looks.

Yes, my crankset is an older Campagnolo model (Chorus?)
I know what you are saying but I think the teeth are bent/twisted excessively...compared to other cassettes. Mine is worn more in the center gears.

Your crankset looks beautiful. Mine is Campy Athena crankset and Chorus seat post.
Old 10-15-19, 11:48 AM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Does your bike have "Indexed" shifting, where the shifter "Clicks" for each gear ?
Or is it "Friction" shifting, where you have to find each gear by "feel" ?
Yeah it's index shifting. Rear derailleur is indexed and the front derailleur is manual so I have control over that gear.
Old 10-15-19, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

That's not true cause you can do good maintenance but the chain (and other components) would still look dirty. I used to go on bike rides with groups in bicycle clubs.. one of the meets is from the rich town and these guys had high end bikes and they complimented me for the such beautiful chain and asked me if my chain was waxed I said yes. You see these people know stuff.

I just checked the item description detail on the Rohloff chain provided by a member dedhed here. Read this quote - "Leave the factory lube on this when you install it." I told you this chain doesn't need a lot of lubing. My chain had factory lube, then I waxed and polished. That thing was amazingly smooth and quiet.
And then it rusted out.

You do understand that wax is a lube, right?

I'm sorry, but you are obsessed very oddly with a part that can add little or nothing to the performance of the bike and frankly is esthetically one of the least interesting.

I saw the picture of your bike--it looks beautiful as is. Get a new cassette on it so the chain stops slipping and don't worry so much about how your drive train looks.
Old 10-15-19, 01:01 PM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
And then it rusted out.

You do understand that wax is a lube, right?

I saw the picture of your bike--it looks beautiful as is. Get a new cassette on it so the chain stops slipping and don't worry so much about how your drive train looks.
Thanks I didn't know wax has oil in it.. Yeah it's likely I'll just get a new cassette (Shimano HG41 7 Spd) and have my wheel trued...

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
So the OP is a homeless guy saving up for a $100 bicycle chain. Right. I’ll admit it, I got played.
That's what I would like to have but I can't spend that much on a chain as like I said I'm homeless living in a tent. I need to use that money on a canopy/gazebo to prepare for the cold winter..
Old 10-15-19, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Thanks I didn't know wax has oil in it.. Yeah it's likely I'll just get a new cassette (Shimano HG41 7 Spd) and have my wheel trued...

That's what I would like to have but I can't spend that much on a chain as like I said I'm homeless living in a tent. I need to use that money on a canopy/gazebo to prepare for the cold winter..
I wish you the best and hope you can find a place to stay before the cold hits.

Are you going to be able to get around on the bike in the winter?
Old 10-15-19, 01:42 PM
Cheez

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I wish you the best and hope you can find a place to stay before the cold hits.

Are you going to be able to get around on the bike in the winter?
I don't know how my bike will handle in the snowy slippery weather and ice.. I don't think my 700c wheel with 23mm tire will do well at all. Good thing I have a part-time job and I can choose hours daily so I can try to avoid the days where the weather is bad. I was thinking about buying a mountain bike for the winter but I'm not sure what to do... don't know what is the most cost efficient way to handle this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.