Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

NPR covers the controversy over allowing e-bikes on bike trails in national parks

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

NPR covers the controversy over allowing e-bikes on bike trails in national parks

Old 10-21-19, 06:44 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/21/77185...dle-on-e-bikes I don't see why not.
Old 10-22-19, 05:41 AM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I had to laugh at the comment made that the trails were not created with heavier and faster E-Bikes in mind. This is just proof that arguments are fabricated, because certain people don't like E-bikes for some reason, or they can't afford one for themselves. Wonder what the difference is in weight if a 150Lb person is riding a 60Lb E-bike, and a 180lb person is riding a regular bike that weighs 30lbs ? As for speed I have not encountered one person on an E-bike that I thought was going to fast. On the other hand I have encountered quite a few regular bikers going what I thought was pretty fast for the trail that was being ridden. I just think the whole argument against e-bikes is ridiculous, and the quote made by the head of the Cleveland mountain bike association is proof of that.

I don't own an e-bike, nor do I plan to buy one, unless I have a physical disability that I would need one to ride, or just become to old, and would need the assistance of an electric motor to ride. I really don't think people buy an e-bike so they can go faster. At least I have not seen that from the e-bikers I have encountered.

Last edited by Alzerbster; 10-22-19 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For Alzerbster:
Old 10-22-19, 06:20 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
It''s not so much about the weight as it is the greater torque produced by a motor.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-22-19, 11:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Come visit in NYC and you'll see e-bikes going too fast. Where's the line between bicycles and motorcycles? I dunno. Should there be one? I dunno.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-22-19, 11:49 AM
Alzerbster

In NYC, I'm assuming this is on roads and streets. Is there a difference between someone doing 25 mph on a regular bike compared to someone doing the same speed on an E-bike? What is to fast on any kind of bike in NYC? I guess my perception of E-bikes and the only kind I have been around is the pedal assist e-bikes. These are not bikes that you twist a throttle and take off.
What is the definition of a motorcycle? I think when motorcycle is mentioned, most think of a bike with an internal combustion engine, which are all banned from any or most trails in the state I live in. So yes there is a line between motorcycles and bicycles. If there wasn't a line, motorcycles with an internal combustion engine would be allowed on bike trails. Maybe any E-bike that doesn't need pedal assist to propel one forward should be considered a motorcycle. Again I was just thinking, and referring to a class 1 e-bike that needs pedal assist to travel. It used to be e-bikes were limited to 250 watt motors and they would cut out at 25mph. Now doing some research I see there are a few bikes made with 4000 to 5000 watt motors. So I can see how there would be arguments over what would be allowed on a bicycle trail. Maybe they could limit E-bikes on trails to no more than 350 watt motors. I dunno either.
Old 10-22-19, 05:26 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It''s not so much about the weight as it is the greater torque produced by a motor.
You sure about this?
Old 10-22-19, 06:30 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by jon c.
Well I was just commenting on the head of the MTB association that claimed the trails were not build for heavy bikes like ebikes. Just wanted to point out how stupid and unfounded his remark is, and he is someone that is railing against the use of an ebike on his trails. If its about torque, he should have said that.
Old 10-22-19, 06:47 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I don't ride a mountain bike, but if I did, I wouldn't want ebikes on my trails either. I do ride off road motorcycles, and we already have trails for that.
Old 10-22-19, 07:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
https://b.3cdn.net/bikes/c3fe8a28f1a..._g3m6bdt7g.pdf
Old 10-23-19, 10:12 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
Well I was just commenting on the head of the MTB association that claimed the trails were not build for heavy bikes like ebikes. Just wanted to point out how stupid and unfounded his remark is, and he is someone that is railing against the use of an ebike on his trails. If its about torque, he should have said that.
As someone who weighs under 140lbs, if weight is a problem I would support restricting rider and bike weight to under 200lbs without regard to what powers the bike. Pretty sure the huge guys are generating more power than me.
Old 10-23-19, 10:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Also, safety of other users was mentioned. If on some singletrack..........which of the following people would you rather be passed by or pass going the other way at a significant speed difference?

This person?

Or this person?

The one who is making up for skill and strength with a toy? Or the one that "grew into" their skills and strength by riding enough to acquire them?

I've said this in the other e-bike topics. Some of it is fine and some isn't. Road? Who freaking cares, there's so much space. MUP's? Better be speed limited. Single track? No way Jose.

When 300lb dude has to work for their speed, they're going to be going a lot slower than with a 350w moped in the woods.

Skills acquisition through work matters.

IMO the UCI made the wrong move introducing e-bike racing. When there's para-athletes out there racing bikes missing a leg, missing two arms below the elbow, and many other challenges........still racing and riding manual bikes..........what the flying freak yo. That makes the whole e-bike thing look pretty darn childish in comparison. Just as a comparison.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-23-19, 11:05 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Also, safety of other users was mentioned. If on some singletrack..........which of the following people would you rather be passed by or pass going the other way at a significant speed difference?
Why not give us a real choice. The other two are a don't care.

edit: The preference in this case is "passed by".
Likes For fly135:
Old 10-23-19, 11:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I hereby award 10 'internets' to fly135
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-24-19, 09:15 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I guess we should kick heavy people riding MTB off MTB trails in national parks too then! lol
Old 10-24-19, 11:36 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Come visit in NYC and you'll see e-bikes going too fast. Where's the line between bicycles and motorcycles? I dunno. Should there be one? I dunno.
In all fairness, you'll see a lot of people in NYC riding regular bikes too fast as well, and the crazy maneuvers some of them do in traffic, especially those "bike messengers" on fixed gear rigs.
Old 10-24-19, 01:04 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
The future is here. You can adapt and move on. You can cry or rage. But you still need to move on.
Old 10-24-19, 03:35 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by alloo
I guess we should kick heavy people riding MTB off MTB trails in national parks too then! lol
Yeah, I mean if a 50 to 80lb ebike is to heavy for the way the trails are designed, maybe there needs to be a rule against people of a certain weight riding on the trails. If anything a bike and rider that is heavier would be more planted and less likely to have a tire slide out. Again the comment in the article is ridiculous. When something that is not liked by certain people, for various reasons. There is always a heap of crap made up to suit their logic, and reasoning.
Old 10-26-19, 11:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Fortunately most national parks don't allow bikes of any sort on the actual trails. They mentioned Acadia, but those "trails" are more like MUPs. Wide, packed gravel, few turns, I've ridden them on a road bike with 23s. I don't think ebikes will damage them any more than the horses. True MTB trails in national forests and recreation areas will be more of a concern. If they allow horses, they may as well allow ebikes. Also, even though they don't have to work going uphill, I don't see ebikers developing the skills needed to negotiate MTB trails.