Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where do you store your gear on an extended tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 03:56 AM
Bodhitree

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara, Bridgestone XO-1. Specialized hardrock extracycle, Univega Grantourismo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought I would start this thread to get a better idea of the best place to store each item of gear on an extended tour. Considering you have two racks, 4 panniers and a handle bar bag/saddle bag, where is the best place to keep your; mess kit, electronics, valuables, sleeping bag, tent, etc. Note: Some people have bikes with kickstands and others, without them, habitually lean them up on one side, please specify as this will help determine your reasoning. Also if you use frame bags or other bags of storage it would be great to hear what you put inside them!

Thanks
Bodhitree
Old 12-01-16, 05:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bodhitree
[FONT="Verdana"] Some people have bikes with kickstands and others, without them, habitually lean them up on one side,
Not all others.

No kick stand. Bike upright. Usual M.O.

Most cooking/eating stuff in RF pannier. Sleeping bag, most off-bike clothes, phone charger cord and spare energy bars in RR pannier. Tubes and tire levers in saddle bag. Most riding clothes, wallet, plate and bowl in LR pannier. Mattress, off-bike sandals, pump, headlamps, spare batteries, battery charger, maps/cue sheets, book, pen and rain pants in FL pannier. Tent and tarp strapped to rear rack. Multi-tool, patch kit and spoke wrench in small Camelback pouch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00177.jpg (99.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-01-16, 06:46 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I take very little stuff, so it's less complicated. I tour with two rear panniers only. One of those is dry, one gets wet. All my insulation, clothing, electronics, and paperwork go in the dry side, which is protected by an inner liner, usually a trash compactor bag. The tent, food, tools, spare parts, raingear, extra water, etc go in the wet side. The sleeping pad goes on top of the rack.

During the day I normally access the "wet" stuff more often (food, raingear) so that pannier is on the left side. The "dry" side is softer stuff, so it's easier to lean against things, I guess.
Old 12-01-16, 07:50 AM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the Ortlieb Backroller and Frontroller Classic panniers, I was able to fairly easily keep all of my camping stuff, sans tent, in one rear pannier. So, that would be my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp pillow, headlamp, and not much else since the bag and pad take up so much room.

My 2-person tent then rests on my rear rack.

The other large, rear pannier contains primarily clothes and bike maintenance gear such as tools and tubes. There is usually plenty of room left over for other stuff I might pick up.

That leaves the front panniers wide open for food and water. Depending on what the conditions are like, I'll fill an entire front pannier with five or six 1-liter bottles of water. The other I'll use to store food. Usually conditions don't necessitate me carrying tons of food and water, so they usually stay pretty empty, and I'll just throw my phone/wallet/camera/etc in there.

Never used a kickstand on a touring bike, as I learned quickly that I would never have a problem with just leaning my bike against a tree, sign, wall, or anything else that stands vaguely upright. You might not have those options if you're riding through a desert or plains region, and in that case it means just carefully laying the bike down.

Last edited by suburbanbeat; 12-01-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 08:44 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
When I use four panniers my basic arraignment is:

front left: kitchen & food
front right: tools & tent
rear left: clothes & misc.
rear right: sleeping gear

All my gear easily fits in the four panniers so I don't have any other bags nor anything strapped to the rack.

Last edited by BigAura; 12-01-16 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 09:35 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Right rear: stuff I need at night
Left rear : stuff I need during the day

I lean my bike againt the right side so I don't damage my rear view mirror on the front left handlebar.

My tent and rain gear is on the rear rack.
Old 12-01-16, 10:15 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I kept a small saddle bag attached to the top tube right behind the fork for valuables, that could easily pop off and come with me when I was off the bike.

The rest of my kit was a mess, with the only real rule is that stuff I knew I needed en route during the day on the top of the bags.
Old 12-01-16, 11:52 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Folding bike, single pannier, ultra-lighter here. I pack the heavy denser stuff as low and close to the bike as possible, lighter/bulkier stuff towards the outside and top, and water in pockets on the opposite side of the pannier mount (as a counter-balance). Bike tools, inner tube, first aid, and emergency gear are stored inside the bike's frame/seat tube.
Old 12-01-16, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Issue was where do I store My Other gear while I'm away, since To afford the tours I vacated My rented apartments,
to eliminate that cost ..

At the last trip I thought, after the fact, I should have packed that stuff shipping, ready ,
in case I did not want to return from the countries I was Visiting. Marrying a Local Did not Happen.

Old 12-01-16, 12:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
My last trip I packed heavier than I have ever packed before because at times I was over a week between grocery stores. So, when you think the bike in the photo looks heavy, it is.

I have a couple rules of thumb, anything valuable goes in my handlebar bag so it can go in the grocery store or restaurant with me. Sometimes lunch goes here too. And a daily supply of granola bars. I also keep my first aid kit, saddle rain cover, helmet rain cover there too. And camera. Since I was charging devices with my dynohub and USB charger, all my electronics were there too.

I had a tiny bag on top of my top tube and strapped to the seatpost with two tubes, a multi-tool and patch kit.

The bag on top of my rear panniers is the only bag I want to open during the day while riding. So, that is where my food goes. Other odd shaped stuff too, hiking shoes do not pack well in a pannier. Depending on size of bag I might have my tent poles in it but if my poles are too long they get strapped on the rear rack separately. If I carry more water than three bottles, the extra bottles go in this bag too so I can access them when the bottles on my frame run dry. If I stop for groceries or anything else during the day, it goes in this bag.

Rain gear strapped on top of my front panniers. I use frontroller and backroller panniers. Hassle to open them up and reclose. Thus I want the rain gear on top where it is easily accessed.

Everything else in panniers. Does not really matter which pannier, some trips I do one system some trips a different system. On my last trip I packed as follows:

Right front pannier, tent, air mattress, and a pee bottle.

Left front pannier, cooking and eating stuff, including stove fuel.

Everything else in my rear panniers. Heavy stuff low, like tools and spare tire in bottom and sleeping bag on top. Each trip I develop a system for which items go in the right pannier and which items in the left, I do not recall what I did on the last trip.

In the photo, my first layer of the day to get stripped off was rolled up jacket that was strapped on top. Later it went inside the bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3355.jpg (96.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 12-01-16, 12:31 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tour with two rear panniers only. No kickstand, no cooking equipment usually.

Rear left: Tent & toiletries (if I need my JetBoil it goes here too)
Rear right: Clothes & bike pump
Top rack: Sleeping bag & tentpoles
Seat wedge: Spare tube, FibreFix Spoke, tire levers, Gorilla tape
Camelbak: (no bladder, just use the bag) Wallet, cell phone, backup battery, charger, any important papers, snacks

Old 12-01-16, 04:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Depending on the trip, I carry between 35-45 lb. of gear, including 4 panniers, bar bag, and rackpack. My wife's bike in the background. She only uses rear panniers, and rackpack. She rode across the U.S. using only 2 small front panniers and a rackpack on the rear rack. Probably 20-25 lb., including camping gear.

Rackpack contains tent, sleeping bag, sil-nylon tarp/groundcloth, Thermarest pad, and compressible pillow. Sometimes I also put the tent poles inside. Depending on what sleeping bag and tent I am using, the total weight is 8-10 lb.

Left front pannier is insulated, and used for food, drinks, and misc. Right front pannier holds tools, spare tire if used, stove, fuel, and the rest of the kitchen. When there is a chance of rain, my raingear goes in the front panniers for easy access. I also mark my panniers with red and green zip ties.; red for port, and green for starboard. This makes it easy to know what bag goes on the left and right sides of the bike; and when off the bike, what gear is in the pannier without having to see the back of the pannier.

Bar bag carries valuables, passport, wallet, sun glasses, camera, spare camera batteries and accessories, notebook, pen/pencil, bandana, paperback book, and cell phone. It always stays with me.

Right rear carries off-bike clothes/gear. Left carries on-bike clothes/gear. None of the panniers are filled even close to their capacity. Depending on loads, my wife and I will switch off carrying our netbook in one of our rear panniers. I like the balance and convenience of having good weight distribution. It also allows me to easily carry extra food and water when needed.

My wife's lighter set up with Ortlieb Front Packer Plus panniers and an Ortlieb Rackpack on the rear. Now she mostly uses full sized Packer Plus series panniers on the rear.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-01-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 04:49 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Usually have a handlebar bag and two rear panniers. Snacks, camera, other electronics, and any valuables go in the handlebar bag which unclips quickly and has a shoulder strap so it comes with me into any stores or restaurants along the way. Sleeping bag, pad, cooking gear plus some clothes go in one pannier. Tent, remaining clothes, and misc. items go in the other one.
Old 12-01-16, 06:43 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Sleeping bag, sleeping mat and tops in one rear pannier, rest of clothes, kindle, torch and tool kit in the other.
Cooker, plate, mug and cutlery and some food in one front pannier, rest of food in the other.
Rack pack with tent, spare tyre and fuel.
Handlebar bag contains wallet, phone, camera and snack bars. Raincoat if it is possibly needed and sunscreen.
Seat bag for spare tube and tyre levers.
I write on the back of each pannier the name of one or more major items within so I can determine what each pannier contains instead of opening the wrong one.
Old 12-01-16, 07:05 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Bodhitree

I thought I would start this thread to get a better idea of the best place to store each item of gear on an extended tour. Considering you have two racks, 4 panniers and a handle bar bag/saddle bag, where is the best place to keep your; mess kit, electronics, valuables, sleeping bag, tent, etc. Note: Some people have bikes with kickstands and others, without them, habitually lean them up on one side, please specify as this will help determine your reasoning. Also if you use frame bags or other bags of storage it would be great to hear what you put inside them!
These photos were taken during the Japan portion of our 8-month RTW tour in 2012.

I have tried riding with 4 panniers, but just don't bring enough stuff to make that necessary.

As for where we keep our stuff ...

Rowan carries the tent and cooking gear. Tent on top of the rack, cooking gear in one of his panniers.

And me ...

One of my panniers is the "bedroom" - all my sleeping stuff.
One of my panniers is the "kitchen", "dressing room", and "bathroom" - my clothes, dishes, and toiletries
My Carradice is my "workshop" - tools, off-the bicycle shoes, jackets
My handlebar bag is my "office" - electronics, personal stuff, paperwork, etc.

Old 12-01-16, 11:16 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If possible mention the size of your bags, please!
Maybe temperature of your trip.
My thought is bulky lighter stuff up front.
My Katy trip was 40-70*
gear inc. panniers 35-40 lbs.
My front panniers, 20 L pr. tent and ground cloth in 1. Sleeping quilt and pad in other. xtra space for light fleece top and cotton leggings, cap, valuables in dry bag LF. sit pad and poles on platform.

Rear 28 L -- right-- cooking stuff (not used), 1st aide, toiletries, rain gear
left rear-- heavy fleece top & bottom compressed.(only if below 50*) hiking pants & shirt (not used) light wool base layer. 2 wool T shirts. too much socks & underwear, cycling shorts, jersys 1 long 1 short (not used)

trunk -- 12 L --tools, food, maps shoes hanging off back
next cool weather trip -- leave all not used stuff. leave front rack & panniers, bring hbar bag, or maybe tent or quilt strapped to hbar. 40 L panniers maybe? shooting for 25 lbs.
summer-- leave fleece, bring golf shirt, and lt shorts long street clothes for bugs? shooting for 20 lbs. inc panniers & trunk wt
winter-- bring cool weather stuff, plus kitchen, lt down jacket, warmer quilt , front panniers hoping for 35-40 lbs.
On Katy no helmet
Make/keep a file of what you brought, what to leave next time, what you missed. and how you packed.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 12-02-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 11:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,424 Posts
I travel light these days, but have also done long unsupported camping tours.

Either way, I pack according to the unpack sequence and logic. For example, things related to making camp are together and unpack in the right order (subject to space constraints), so camp light on top, then ground tarp and tent, then either sleeping bag or cook related stuff, depending on what fits, and so on.

This lets me set up and break a campsite, without ever having stuff spread around making a mess.

I also never packed my stove because of concern about leakage, It was kept in it's own box and strapped to the carrier. Fuel was carried in a Sigg bottle in a cage below he downtube forward of the BB.

Lastly, valuables and documents were kept in a small easily removable bag and kept on my person at all times when not riding.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-02-16, 12:14 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My strategy FWIW:

General – I’ve done the 4 bag, 2 bag, front and rear, just front, just rear, etc. I like a middle of the road strategy, keeping things light but staying comfortable too. Relative to RV’s, not a full size bus motorcoach nor a VW microbus, but maybe a mid-size pickup with camper.

With a (2) pannier front setup + rear rack:

I don’t like dry bags, prefer the nylon / breathable bags with many storage pockets and waterproof bag for clothes if required, I really like Lone Peak.

Clothing and cooking – Front (R) pannier

Food, toiletries, misc. – Front (L) pannier

Tools, tubes, links, spares – seat bag

Sleeping bag – on top of rear rack in a H2O proof stuff sack

Tent / mat – on top of rear rack

Snacks for riding, scarf, gloves, hat, map, etc – Front bar bag from dill pickle (Design Your Own Handlebar Bag)

All personal items, cell phone, wallet, head lamp, pocket knife, spare change, valuables – in hip pack. I’m not a worry wort, but it makes it easy to slug my valuables around without fear of forgetting them somewhere. Works about the same as a removable bar bag, but I find it more convenient and less worry since I just keep it on me at all times.
Old 12-09-16, 09:24 PM
Bodhitree

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara, Bridgestone XO-1. Specialized hardrock extracycle, Univega Grantourismo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 panniers completely filled and have to strap my tent and sleeping bag to the top of my front rack. I don't know how to have a less bulky set up!! That being said I am on a world tour but it anyone can offer some advice I am all ears. Here is my packing list. (BTW I am in India)

FR: Stove, pans, oil, seasonings, rice, Dal, hard vegetables (onions, potatoes etc)

FL: Computer, chargers, book, money, camera, other valuables, this pannier is always taken off and carried when I depart the bike I therefore try to make it as light as possible.

RR: Spare tire, tubes, tools, warm clothes, shoes, sleeping tarp (this pannier is only accessed at night when I camp)

RL: Day food, snacks, water, fruit. I can't really stuff this pannier as I usually carry bananas, tomatoes, oranges and tuber wear with cooked vegetables.

I have seen some cyclists in extremely remote areas with zero gear strapped to their racks!! To me it would take a full pannier just to pack my sleeping bag and it would take a bit of extra labor each morning to compress the thing. Here is a picture of my loaded bike in Indonesia.

https://pilgrimsandashesdotcom.files...5019.jpg?w=584
Old 12-20-16, 03:34 PM
mindbiking

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's all a matter of choice and usage: what do you have; what and when will you use it; and the ease to which you want access. More specifically, just put the stuff wherever you prefer. The convention appears to argue against having only two rear panniers (in favor of a handlebar bag, and two front panniers complementing the 2 rear panniers). Two rear panniers, ONLY, work very nicely. The major concern is to ensure some semblance of weight equilibrium. For more information, see mindbiking.com.
Old 12-26-16, 04:58 AM
sexy cyclist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use frame bags and no kickstand and tour on regular road bikes. This is how I typically arrange my gear:

ON THE BIKE

Go Pro and headlight on the flats of my drop bars, bluetooth speaker on my stem, rain pants in a bottle cage

ON ME

Food in my jersey pockets

IN MY TANGLE FRAME BAG

Left side is phone, wallet, chapstick, knife, Nitecore TIP, charging cables and a 12000 mah battery. I can run a cable to my phone or headlight setup like this, enabling me to ride all night.

Right side is 2.5L water bladder, mini pump, repair kit, outlet to 4x usb port converter, and riding accessories like different types of gloves and headgear, safety glasses, sunglasses etc.

IN MY JERRY CAN (Top tube / seatpost junction bag)

Food and hygiene kit

IN MY VISCACHA TRUNK BAG

Sleeping gear (air pad, air pillow, bivy or tent, sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner depending on tempts)
Extra sets of clothing
TP