Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best tires for long distance winter riding?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-25-17, 10:01 AM
maartendc

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale 3.0, 2001 Trek 5200, 2010 BMC SLC01, Minerva MTB Hardtail

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hello all!

I am planning to ride from Belgium to Germany this winter (around Christmas time) (around 200-220km over 2 days), and my bike is badly in need of new tires. The roads will vary from good to terrible (perhaps some cobble sections / light gravel sections), and the conditions are likely to be wet and/or icy/snowy. These are my requirements:

- Good grip in cold / wet conditions (on poor road surfaces)
- Good puncture resistance
- 25C
- Reasonably fast rolling

These are options I am considering:
- Continental Gatorskins (have them lying around, I hear they are bad in the wet?)
- Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons
- Vittoria Pave CG
- Michelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 (good puncture resistance, but not sure about their wet weather performance)
- Pirelli P Zero Velo 4S

Ones I am not considering at the moment:
- Schwalbe Durano: Too heavy!
- Vittoria Senso all-weather: High rolling resistance

Which one would you recommend? Thanks!
Old 09-25-17, 12:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
I wouldn't go 25s unless that was my max if you can fit a 28 go for that, you will thank me.

For tires The GP 4 seasons would be a perfect set of tires. My road bike is currently sporting Vittoria Corsa G+s and they grip really well in all conditions but I don't know about their winter performance (ice and snow and such) and certainly are more of a supple lightweight tire and less of a touring tire.
Old 09-25-17, 12:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 3962 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 220 Posts
I'd go as fat as possible with reason and run at a little lower pressure. Those are some tough conditions. I really like the continental winter top contact tires for the kind of weather and conditions you describe but no doubt you will think they are too heavy and likely too wide for the bike you are using to boot.
Old 09-25-17, 12:46 PM
maartendc

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale 3.0, 2001 Trek 5200, 2010 BMC SLC01, Minerva MTB Hardtail

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I wouldn't go 25s unless that was my max if you can fit a 28 go for that, you will thank me.

For tires The GP 4 seasons would be a perfect set of tires. My road bike is currently sporting Vittoria Corsa G+s and they grip really well in all conditions but I don't know about their winter performance (ice and snow and such) and certainly are more of a supple lightweight tire and less of a touring tire.
Yeah I know about the width.. but 25 C is the max that the frame I am using will allow for unfortunately.

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes I am trying to stay away from any 'summer' tires such as the Corsa G+, GP 4000IIS, Michelin Performance, etc..

I read the Vittoria Open Pave CG offer excellent comfort though, while being a super grippy tire for bad conditions and roads.

My concern was the Grand prix 4 seasons might be a bit harsher, more like the Gatorskins than the GP4000's.
Old 09-25-17, 12:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc View Post
Yeah I know about the width.. but 25 C is the max that the frame I am using will allow for unfortunately.

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes I am trying to stay away from any 'summer' tires such as the Corsa G+, GP 4000IIS, Michelin Performance, etc..

I read the Vittoria Open Pave CG offer excellent comfort though, while being a super grippy tire for bad conditions and roads.

My concern was the Grand prix 4 seasons might be a bit harsher, more like the Gatorskins than the GP4000's.
Darn...that old 25c max stuff is crazy. Why did it take us so long to figure out tire width?!

I think the GP4S wouldn't be super harsh, probably a touch better than a Gator but I haven't had significant time on them just on Gators. If the Vittorias have the graphene technology, I would probably go for those. I hope more tire manufacturers adopt it because it seems to be quite nice.
Old 09-25-17, 08:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 79 Posts
as a canadian who rides up until it starts to get icey, all I can say to you is to consider a tougher tire, like a gatorskin or something, because frankly, changing a flat when its cold, and especially cold and wet--well, its kinda crappy.
Personally I wouldnt get all concerned about tire characteristics, and more on a tire that will deal with you running over stuff in the wet and cold that you might not notice, water covering up sharp edged potholes, stuff like that, and glass of course.

I know when I ride in cold wet conditions here, I dont see or notice stuff as much as in nicer weather--partly its the wet, and partly its the lighting as it gets darker much earlier here in the fall, now, oct, nov so Im riding in the dark a lot and put much more emphasis on not wanting to screw around with a flat in these conditions.
Old 09-25-17, 08:53 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sew-ups definitely