Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear axle spacing from locknuts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-04-19, 06:35 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought a used bike with loose rear lock nuts on both sides. Normally when I repack bearings I'll leave the drive side alone, to serve as a guide when putting everything back together.
I am wondering if the rear axle spacing (exposed axle from locknut) should be the same on both sides? I've been looking at some articles/videos but can't seem to find the answer.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-19, 06:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 100 Posts
How much past the lock nuts does the axle extend is a "depends" answer.

First is whether the axle is a QR design or an axle nuts design. Obviously the nutted version needs enough axle extension to allow for the drop out thickness (and der hanger plate, claw) and that of the nut so the nut is fully threaded on when tightened. Generally I aim for the same amount of axle showing past the nuts on both sides. For a QR axle the axle ends shouldn't extend more then that of the drop out thickness, and a bit less is the typical. Remember that the QR conical springs take up a small amount of space between the axle end and the QR end caps, you don't want the QR to not fully bite into the drop out because the axle/springs stick out too far.

As mentioned if the der is attached with a "separate of the frame" hanger (these days often referred as a "claw") the effective drop out thickness will be more then that of just the frame. So a bit more axle extension on the drive side in these cases is allowable.

I aim for about the same amount of axle extension on both sides unless something suggests otherwise. Andy
Old 04-04-19, 07:57 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a QR axle. Thank you for the info, very much appreciated.

Felix

Old 04-04-19, 08:18 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post

I aim for about the same amount of axle extension on both sides unless something suggests otherwise. Andy
I aim for the same but if I am in a hurry I'll live with anything between just past the inside of the dropout to almost flush with the outside of the dropout. Basically the rule(s) are: don't ever hit the QR lever assembly or the QR locknut. As long as that never happens, everything else works. Too short is a PIA to get the wheel located right but does work just fine. The QR and locknut do all the work. The axle is doing nothing. (Now this may not be true of inferior QRs or QRs with non-steel skewers. Wouldn't know. I've always just used decent asymmetrical steel skewered QRs.)

Ben
Old 04-05-19, 07:32 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 70 Posts
The "standard" qr axle protrusion past the locknuts is 5.5 mm on both sides assuming the hub and axle are built for the same OLD. For example, a 130 mm OLD hub would use a 141 mm axle.
Old 04-05-19, 10:07 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6946 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 210 Posts
Physically it needs to be almost as wide as the dropout is thick ..

not quite all , that little QR spring gets a little space..