Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 09:44 AM
Chrispick77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling

Hi all I'm chris 42 from Yorkshire, York to be exact and I'd like to get into cycling after watching my brother in law complete a triathlon but after looking online the choice is mad and I have no idea
I have about £1000 but have no idea what to get, I dont mind an older bike if that's best, I'd like to get a better bike so I dont have to upgrade.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-19, 10:56 AM
davelloyd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great responses from the forum members
Old 08-04-19, 10:57 AM
davelloyd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look at used bikes. You could pick up a gem at a 1/4 of the price of a new bike
Old 08-04-19, 12:06 PM
Chrispick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any particular makes preferable or to not go for over others or is it really personal preference?
Old 08-04-19, 01:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I think that your first and best resource is your brother in law. Make yourself a list about what you hope to do in cycling and talk to him. Until you figure out how you want to ride you won't know what sort of bike you need to research. You have a generous budget, but if you have little ability to assess the mechanical condition of a second hand bike you might be better off buying new unless you can enlist the help of a more experienced person. Brand names are not useful unless you are familiar with specific models within that brand during the year that particular model was produced. This makes buying second hand a bit complicated. The other thing about second hand bikes is finding the correct size. There is no sense in buying a size small of a particular model if you are tall enough to need a size extra large no matter how good the deal is. At least, buying new allows you to specify the correct frame size when you purchase from a dealer. Knowledge is power. The more you know about how to assess the condition of a second hand bike and how to select the correct size and to read the specifications of that particular model the better placed you will be to tell if the asking price is fair. In my experience, the asking price for second hand bikes is too high more often than not
Old 08-04-19, 01:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrispick77
Hi all I'm chris 42 from Yorkshire, York to be exact and I'd like to get into cycling after watching my brother in law complete a triathlon but after looking online the choice is mad and I have no idea
I have about £1000 but have no idea what to get, I dont mind an older bike if that's best, I'd like to get a better bike so I dont have to upgrade.
Any help would be appreciated.
What kind of riding would you like to do? Fitness, commuting, racing, utility?
Where would you like to do it? Mountains or flatlands? Asphalt (sorry, tarmac) or dirt?
Old 08-04-19, 02:00 PM
Chrispick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice thanks for the replies and yea it does make sense to ask my brother in law to start with.
I just want to ride on tarmac with no racing to start with (maybe in time)
Old 08-04-19, 02:19 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Save part of your budget for helmet, cycling shorts, gloves, jersey(s).

You can skip cycling clothing until you decide to stick with it. Otherwise you may ride for a month and change your mind, and have lots of surplus clothing to get rid of.

You may want cycling specific shoes at some point, but start with sneakers/trainers and cheap flat pedals.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-04-19, 05:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Forget about the "(maybe in time)" thing. Buy a bike suitable for riding on paved roads. If you eventually decide to move on to racing you will want a better bike anyway

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-05-19 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-04-19, 07:23 PM
farmerjg

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with going used. Look around for any classified ads. I have found cyclists to be pretty decent people. Hopefully you can have a good chat with a person and take a test ride.
Old 08-06-19, 03:36 AM
Simplex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On ebay you can sometimes find great deals on ex-display bikes that may have some aesthetic marks; fraction of the price for what is a new bike.

I got my first proper bike this way, it's a vitus cyclocross which I bought for it's versatility. It can be ridden fast on the road and has clearance and an appropriate geometry to put on wider tyres and tackle gravel/singletrack.

Decathlon do great bikes at good prices and their post-sale support is great. The triban 500 comes to mind first.
Old 08-06-19, 05:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why are you talking to us?

The vast majority of this forum's users are in the U.S. We're not familiar with your local bike retail market.

There are huge U.K. on-line retailers with a worldwide presence. Some of them have local brick and mortar retail locations. One is Evans Cycles. I see on their web site that they have a store front in York. Why not start there? They know their business and serve a wide range of riding needs. I'd bet that they could outfit you at your budget point. Buy the best bike that you can afford.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 08-06-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 07:19 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Look at some kev central videos on youtube

very informative