Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Read any good books lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Read any good books lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 06:48 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, with the platina touch-hole? It was sold when the Surprises arrived back in Pulo Prabang after their... difficulties, to pay for the outfitting of the officers. Dr Maturin always was as generous as any sailor, for all love!
Old 01-02-13, 06:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am not in as serious a reading cycle as most seem to be, novels just have lost much interest for me so I am reading mainly bicycling related books and some English/Scottish history.

My latest is Jobst Brandt's wheel building book, "The Bicycle Wheel", 3rd Edition I know most of you read this way before I now, there was a thread here that got me back into this book, a very good, technical read, I like that. Now I am after a few other wheel building books I saw on Amazon, this week. I find myself returning to my engineering roots after a long time of series novels, burnout is the correct phrase. I have found both original editions as well as newer printings of some classic bicycle books I re-read and have for references since returning to bicycling.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-02-13, 06:58 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Another good read for age of sail (IMO) is the Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin. A bit "lighter" than O'Brian but very entertaining. Anyone remember the Flashman series?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 01-02-13, 07:16 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I am not in as serious a reading cycle as most seem to be, novels just have lost much interest for me so I am reading mainly bicycling related books and some English/Scottish history.

My latest is Jobst Brandt's wheel building book, "The Bicycle Wheel", 3rd Edition I know most of you read this way before I now, there was a thread here that got me back into this book, a very good, technical read, I like that. Now I am after a few other wheel building books I saw on Amazon, this week. I find myself returning to my engineering roots after a long time of series novels, burnout is the correct phrase. I have found both original editions as well as newer printings of some classic bicycle books I re-read and have for references since returning to bicycling.

Bill
Great Book, The Bicycle Wheel .
not so technical as to be discouraging ,
and written by someone with first-hand knowledge and expertise
Old 01-02-13, 08:53 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Oh, with the platina touch-hole? It was sold when the Surprises arrived back in Pulo Prabang after their... difficulties, to pay for the outfitting of the officers. Dr Maturin always was as generous as any sailor, for all love!
You've been sampling the port a bit heavy, haven't you now?

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
My latest is Jobst Brandt's wheel building book, "The Bicycle Wheel"
SO here's a question. I raised this in a different thread but never got a consensus sort of answer. What does Mr. B. about this?

A traditional 36 spoke wheel has 9 groups of 4. (Well, you almost have to have groups of 4 because they are grouped with one leading and one trailing on each side of the hub, though you could go highly unconventional, I guess.) An odd number of groups means that if the valve stem is positioned properly between diverging spokes, the spokes on the label side will be converging, which means they pull the two sides of the seam together. I've heard it said that this is stronger, and the diverging spokes at the stem give you slightly easier access to it. Of course, I've seen both factory and shop-built wheels built "wrong" too.

With a newfangled 32-spoke wheel, you have only 8 groups. So whatever the spacing is at the valve will be replicated at the seam. If you set your key spoke so that they diverge at the valve stem they will also diverge at the seam. Good idea or bad? How were they done when the 32-spoke wheel came into being in the 80's? (I was too busy and too poor to notice then.)

I've strung my 32-spoke wheels this way and nothing has come apart yet. One could even argue that the air pressure in the tube pushes the seam together, not apart. But of course that makes the "pull the seam together" argument moot, doesn't it?

I asked this question in another thread and only one person answered. I'm just curious.
Old 01-02-13, 08:54 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A recommended reader.

Old 01-02-13, 09:31 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I asked this question in another thread and only one person answered. I'm just curious.
If there is a second person who knows the definitive answer to this question, it's Jobst Brandt. But I don't remember him addressing it in his book, though it's been a long time since I read it and it's an older, 1st, edition. As far as I know, he knows the answer to everything.
Old 01-02-13, 09:35 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 631 Posts
Just picked up a book I think will be interesting: "No Hands, The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company", I'll have to see if it agrees with my opinion: profits bred complacency, failure to upgrade product (why bother when you are sold out), focused on the bottom end of the product line far too long, failed to update manufacturing processes + sudden influx of talented competitors = game over.
Old 01-03-13, 06:30 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
If there is a second person who knows the definitive answer to this question, it's Jobst Brandt. But I don't remember him addressing it in his book, though it's been a long time since I read it and it's an older, 1st, edition. As far as I know, he knows the answer to everything.
My copy is a third edition, I just read the chapter on the valve stem and spoke placement, and Like Rootboy, I cannot remember this being addressed. My memory is the second thing that has started to quit working so I will have to look this evening when I get home from work.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-03-13, 02:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
I would imagine there is so much force from the other spokes between the two rim halves that it's a moot point. JB argues that there's no reason at all for pins or welding because of this.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-03-13, 02:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,557 Posts
beyond my usual escapist entertainment, I recently read Born to run.....about barefoot running...sort of. I enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidde.../dp/0307279189

Old 01-03-13, 02:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
beyond my usual escapist entertainment, I recently read Born to run.....about barefoot running...sort of. I enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidde.../dp/0307279189
I read the first half of that while camping with some friends, and really enjoyed it. I even went through a barefoot/minimalist phase for a while.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-03-13, 03:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I read the first half of that while camping with some friends, and really enjoyed it. I even went through a barefoot/minimalist phase for a while.
Yeah, I used to run quite a bit but now I prefer running just a minimal amount too.
Old 01-04-13, 01:13 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Being bikeless in Jakarta forced me to run on a threadmill thrice a week, I'm glad to be back in the saddle!
Old 01-04-13, 09:43 PM
metabike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
Just picked up a book I think will be interesting: "No Hands, The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company", I'll have to see if it agrees with my opinion: profits bred complacency, failure to upgrade product (why bother when you are sold out), focused on the bottom end of the product line far too long, failed to update manufacturing processes + sudden influx of talented competitors = game over.
Good book, but sad.
Old 01-05-13, 03:32 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I would imagine there is so much force from the other spokes between the two rim halves that it's a moot point. JB argues that there's no reason at all for pins or welding because of this.
This is Roger Musson's opinion. He says he cut a rim into several pieces; then laced it, and couldn't break it apart.

Old 01-05-13, 06:13 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
This is Roger Musson's opinion. He says he cut a rim into several pieces; then laced it, and couldn't break it apart.
Thanks, everyone, for answering (and tolerating) this question. You may now return to the subject of this thread. Read any good books lately?
Old 01-06-13, 02:02 AM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sure.

I've been on a Ryu Murakami kick lately. Not not be confused with Haruki Murakami (Kafka on the Shore/ Windup Bird Chronicle); they aren't related, but are contemporary & aware of each other. Ryu Murakami's a lot more vivid; 'In the Miso Soup' is one of the scariest things I've read in a while, and 'Greatest Hits of the Showa Era' is certainly one of the funniest (although it's REALLY dark humor).
Old 01-06-13, 07:04 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I read The Third Policeman and found it hilarious . All the policemen this fellow encounters are obsessed with bicycles . Don't read the foreword to the book, it gives too much away .
Old 01-06-13, 08:10 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I had to read it quick before I gave it to my daughter for Christmas.
heh. i'm glad others do this.

Originally Posted by KvltBryce
... love me some good mah...
since it rains so much in winter in seattle, i always pick up my finite math book from college. when i start, it feels like a reawakening of a whole hemisphere of the brain...

otherwise, i'm a bit in a rut. so i picked up steinbeck's 'winter of our discontent' again. it's short, and fits perfectly with the weather. his simple, flowing prose and story of america quickly remind me why i love the classic novel. and has me looking forward to the next one...
Old 01-06-13, 10:35 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Got Steinbeck's East of Eden for chrismas, along David Sedaris' Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Now halfway through the latter, and love every sentence of it.
Old 01-06-13, 11:54 AM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
David Sedaris is wonderful- he can make you laugh even when the world is coming apart at the seams.
Old 01-06-13, 12:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Re-readink Koko, excellent war novel. Will re-read The Fire Dream after that.
Old 01-06-13, 01:13 PM
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaneferd
+1
Old 01-06-13, 01:45 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
That looks good. Going to have to pick up a copy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.