Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Guys, did I do good???? Centurion LeMans rs.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-15-13, 11:10 PM
scroll24_7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was thinking of converting it into a fixed gear, but will probably leave it geared. Component list at the end of thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ert-into-fixie
Old 01-15-13, 11:34 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
fwiw, my fixed gears have all been conversions but done to bare frames and I am currently on a converted Le Mans. I wouldnt bother taking apart a complete bike like that unless I had another build planned for them but it is your bike to do with as you please.
Old 01-16-13, 01:51 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You did good. The LeMans is one of those rare bikes that got lighter and better as the years wore on, and yours looks to be one of the later models.

I would suggest that this NOT be your next ssfg project; if you've never had a geared bike before, this is a GREAT way to be introduced into finding out what riding a pure road machine is all about.
Old 01-16-13, 03:40 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You will probably not find anyone in this forum who will suggest you convert that to a fixed gear

nice score for $190.. ride it and enjoy it! Tange 2 frame and a mix of Shimano 105 and 600 components for that price is definitely a good deal.

if you want a fixed gear bike, keep this one geared and look for a dedicated FGSS frame is my recommendation. you can buy brand new fixed gear bikes these days for less than you can convert them

ps... LOVE that paint job..

Old 01-16-13, 06:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
You will probably not find anyone in this forum who will suggest you convert that to a fixed gear

nice score for $190.. ride it and enjoy it! Tange 2 frame and a mix of Shimano 105 and 600 components for that price is definitely a good deal.

if you want a fixed gear bike, keep this one geared and look for a dedicated FGSS frame is my recommendation. you can buy brand new fixed gear bikes these days for less than you can convert them

ps... LOVE that paint job..

I agree great looking bike at a good price. I actually can't believe guys in the Fixie forum were voting to keep it geared, guess their not all bad. I am sure you'll be more than happy having gears on that especially if you live in a hilly area.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-16-13, 07:21 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I actually can't believe guys in the Fixie forum were voting to keep it geared, guess their not all bad.
i'm not sure, but I think conversions kind of fell out of popularity a few years ago once companies started offering FGSS frames.
Old 01-16-13, 08:54 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
i'm not sure, but I think conversions kind of fell out of popularity a few years ago once companies started offering FGSS frames.
A "fixie" is so cheap now that yeah, converting a bike is a waste of time and money.

To the OP----keep this bike as a roadie and buy something cheap from bikesdirect that is already a track/ss, there is nothing wrong with having two bikes
Old 01-16-13, 08:59 AM
scroll24_7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
A "fixie" is so cheap now that yeah, converting a bike is a waste of time and money.

To the OP----keep this bike as a roadie and buy something cheap from bikesdirect that is already a track/ss, there is nothing wrong with having two bikes
Yeah, will do. Too many experienced people commenting the same thing, it would be stupid not to follow the suggestions (since I'm a noob). I'm very exited with the bike, and will probably take it out today for a ride (great weather). Thanks to all that have posted.
Old 01-16-13, 09:03 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Most of the "cheap fixies" you see are hi-ten frames with heavy ass wheelsets and would not be comparable to the Centurion frame with a nice mid-level wheelset such as this.

Originally Posted by A.Winthrop
And, no, I wouldn't convert
it to a fixie simply because I can't think of why anyone
would.
A lot of people don't consider all the issues regarding converting a road frame for fixed use versus buying a new FGSS specific frame. Besides the Soma Van Ness and Wabi offerings I don't know of other FGSS specific frames that have "road" geometry. If one wants road geometry and a fixed drivetrain, a conversion makes good sense. I could have bought an All City Big Block or similar bike, but I chose to convert a vintage road bike because it had the geometry I like for rides of any length and clearance for larger tires.

The OP could sell the components he doesn't need/want and be on his way to paying for a nice fixed wheelset then purchase a SS specific crank or convert the current one and have a really nice setup.

scroll24_7, a lot of posters have made some good points about not unnecessarily modifying the frame, etc, but be careful to recognize a pile on just for the sake of it. There are a lot of reasons people choose to ride bikes with fixed drive trains and people have been riding them since bicycles were invented.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-16-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 09:15 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Most of the "cheap fixies" you see are hi-ten frames with heavy ass wheelsets and would not be comparable to the Centurion frame with a nice mid-level wheelset such as this.
My single speed from Bikes Direct is lighter than my Ironman... i'm sure if i turned my Ironman into a SS it would be lighter, but instead, I have both
Old 01-16-13, 02:56 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
You can't go wrong buying a bike from Angelo, he's a neighbor of mine and a good guy.
Old 01-16-13, 03:12 PM
scroll24_7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
You can't go wrong buying a bike from Angelo, he's a neighbor of mine and a good guy.
Wow, small world. Yeah definitively a great guy to do business with, and he seems to know allot about bikes. Very happy with my purchase.