Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice Starting a high School cycling team/club

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 04:09 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

My son is a Junior and has been cycling somewhat seriously since he was 12 years old. Several metric centuries, 2 full century and the full length of the 2018 Ragbrai under his belt. However I have a feeling he is getting tired of riding with his old man and my older friends. He has mentioned he would like to ride with people his age but we don't really know anybody with kids his age who ride.

I suggested he invited a few of his close friends but they are not really interested in cycling but they all said that him crossing the whole state of Iowa cycling was pretty bad ass. I then suggested he spread some flyers at school or post on their social media pages to see if he would find anybody interested but he told me the PE teacher told him it would have to be a sanctioned team or a club if he were to recruit from within the school. I haven't verified if that's true or not but I wouldn't be opposed if doing it in an official way. I just don't know how to go about it.

Anybody here have experience dealing with school clubs as a parent? Would I need a teacher to join us to be an official club? Maybe we could get the LBS to see if they could give us a discount on gear? We could start with recreational rides leading to organized events during the spring. Maybe even competing in a near future but I'd imagine that opens up a huge liability for the school which they may not be interested.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-19, 07:21 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Liability maybe an impediment, but as a dutiful father, my suggestion is to get some of the hotter girls involved from school to be part of the riding club. This will help keep him motivated.

Not sure how much support for a riding team you will garner. I will tell you a pretty serious concern is rider safety sharing the road with automobiles. I lost a good friend this past year and other friends were badly hurt. These are 'very' serious cyclists. Young people even show less discretion due to lack of experience which needs to be taught.

if your son has talent, I suggest he get with the local racers in your town to hone his riding ability.

Best of luck.
Old 01-28-19, 09:52 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Talk to the school first and see what they need to have for you to start one. See what they have to say.
Old 01-29-19, 07:41 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Talk to the school first and see what they need to have for you to start one. See what they have to say.
I will. But I would like to have some information first to help "sell" the idea. Examples of successful clubs somewhere else would be very helpful.
Old 01-29-19, 09:15 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I will. But I would like to have some information first to help "sell" the idea. Examples of successful clubs somewhere else would be very helpful.
Here's possibly the best example-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ling/31330695/

This is in my region and I've raced against a lot of the kids in the program over the years. Yea, not exactly a level playing field because that school has $$$$$$$$$ and is a boarding school so they can draw in the best endurance athletes in that age range with scholarships etc, but it's still a relevant story.
Old 01-29-19, 09:42 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
You need to sell it as a brother/sister sport to the other endurance sports. That will help increase the interest. Swimming, X Country, Cycling, Tri etc. That means more potential athletes that can find their niche. The cross training will help across the board. Dan gave a good example. Those kids then go on to college programs such as this one that is also in our region.

Cycling | Team Page | Club Sports | Liberty University
https://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/cl...5959&TeamID=12
Old 01-29-19, 11:47 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My son is a Junior and has been cycling somewhat seriously since he was 12 years old. Several metric centuries, 2 full century and the full length of the 2018 Ragbrai under his belt. However I have a feeling he is getting tired of riding with his old man and my older friends. He has mentioned he would like to ride with people his age but we don't really know anybody with kids his age who ride.

I suggested he invited a few of his close friends but they are not really interested in cycling but they all said that him crossing the whole state of Iowa cycling was pretty bad ass. I then suggested he spread some flyers at school or post on their social media pages to see if he would find anybody interested but he told me the PE teacher told him it would have to be a sanctioned team or a club if he were to recruit from within the school. I haven't verified if that's true or not but I wouldn't be opposed if doing it in an official way. I just don't know how to go about it.

Anybody here have experience dealing with school clubs as a parent? Would I need a teacher to join us to be an official club? Maybe we could get the LBS to see if they could give us a discount on gear? We could start with recreational rides leading to organized events during the spring. Maybe even competing in a near future but I'd imagine that opens up a huge liability for the school which they may not be interested.

Can you find a local club that caters to development? I used to work in a development capacity and often had high school students in our clinics and group rides. These were serious juniors who raced at the USAC level. One even went on to anchor a college cycling team and got really active in rider development. I think finding a local club that caters to juniors would be more fruitful than a HS team/club and would come with the necessary infrastructure built in - mentors, coaches, ride leaders, and race directors. Even if your son just starts a HS club, he will likely have beginners to whom he will have to teach group ride skills. If something happens on a ride (a crash, a road violation ticket), he will be the responsible party and will have to know how to handle the situation, and deal with all the inherent emotional consequences. If he joins an already established club, then he can get the benefit of a mentor for himself, without having to deal with the stress of mentoring others.
Old 01-29-19, 11:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
This sounds like a great, worthwhile endeavor. I'd love to be part of it. Here are my thoughts.

Something you'll have to consider, at least in many states, is that if it's going to be officially sanctioned by the school, any adults involved will likely require a background check if you're interacting with the kids.

Obtaining bikes for some kids might be an issue also. Perhaps you could get used bikes donated from members of the community, bike shops.

Are you thinking you might draw off-season (endurance) athletes from other sports as a good cross-training activity? The season you do it in will affect that, of course. Depending on where you live, winter is probably out of the question. So swimmers could do it. But distance runners will be running CC in the fall, track in the spring. Soccer players (who actually run long distances) could be a draw. But you should advertise it as ALL LEVELS...from social riders to those who want to train for racing. A few years ago I read about a h.s. CC coach who recruited runners that way. More of a "club" than a "team." He ended with so many people on the club/team that he could field an "A" and "B" team for both boys and girls. Separate workouts for all levels. Some of the kids who eventually became among the best runners had never considered joining the CC team until the all-inclusive social club slant was put on it.

The PE teacher telling your son that he can't recruit from the school unless it's officially sanctioned...that's a little ridiculous. Why can't a student just ask a bunch of his classmates to go on a bike ride? He/you should do it that way to "test the waters." Then, if there's enough interest, go to the school to request official sanctioning.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dan
Old 01-29-19, 01:53 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
But competitve cycling is so expensive compare to other sports. Will school be willing to provide bikes to students?
Surely not. But they may help. But...It's not unlike ice hockey. The public schools that have hockey really don't provide much of anything other than paying for ice time, and transportation to away games. The player is responsible for just about everything else...including game sweater (jersey), shorts, and socks. The team boosters (i.e. parents raising money) help out a lot. And hockey equipment ain't cheap. The stick alone can run more that $200.00. Skates, helmet, pads...another several hundred dollars. But certainly used bikes can be found in the community. Perhaps used bikes donated from LBSs.

Dan
Old 01-29-19, 05:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Call the folks at the Norcal High School Cycling League. They have a very successful high school mountain bike racing program that started very small. They've been through the process many times with many schools. My son raced with them 15 years ago. They've grown tremendously since then.
Brent
Old 01-29-19, 07:34 PM
Rkman

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just as an FYI, I am a student at a high school in NJ.

For our school, we can start an indepenedent student club, but it is not allowed to go own field trips, and I would recon that cycling trips would count as field trip since it incurrs liability. You would have to get an administration run club if you want to go on official cycling trips. For my club, which is student run, we still take trips, but it's more just people hanging out at, say New York City, for a special event. There is also the minimum club member thing, so you probably need 10-15 people minimum at every meeting to remain an official club, at least for student run clubs

Source: I started and ran a successful club in my sophomore year