Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did I get the right size frame, or do I need to size up? (PICS) (yon Endurace AL 7.0)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did I get the right size frame, or do I need to size up? (PICS) (yon Endurace AL 7.0)

Old 01-13-19, 09:53 AM
Ontarget

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to be a little late to the party... The small looks a bit small for you (it's my size!), unless you're a high end racer. A medium should fit much better. I think you're doing the sensible thing by exchanging it.
Old 01-13-19, 12:56 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Seems the OP is fairly new to cycling.
so, please note that saddle height is set for riding/pedaling the bike, NOT set as to be able to touch the ground when stopped.
When you stop you ease fwd OFF of the saddle and stradle the bike. You are now able to touch the ground with ease.

Saddle to ground height means nothing.

Yes I know most beach cruiser folks set saddle so low that they can touch ground w bent knee while seated. Hurts me to watch their knees while pedaling. Most kids bikes set the same.
Old 01-22-19, 07:19 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulsify
Hey, thank you for the detailed reply.

The comments are swaying me toward sizing up

I'll tell you how the bike feelsfrom the (short) experience I've had riding it -- I don't want to put in too much wear in case I need to exchange it. Disclaimer: I haven't been on a bike for 6 months, and have only been riding for 1 year, so it's a little hard to know what to look for but I do have a general sense.

The good: I feel like the reach is perfect. I don't feel scrunched up top. The distance between the saddle and bottom bracket feel good, as well. In my pictures it looks like the seat post is long as hell, but I think that is largely due to where the top tube meets the seat tube (strongly angled downward toward seat tube) -- it looks just like the picture Canyon advertises on their website. On the seat post, i'm at the 9.5cm hashmark, whereas the recommended max is 13cm. Also, I can stand over the top tube with a 1-2 inches of space to my crotch.

The bad: I feel like my body is 'low' to the ground when riding -- it kind of feels like my whole body should be higher off the ground than it is. I also feel my torso is a little far forward, and when out of the saddle my body weight seems to be fall ahead of the bars. Lastly, when at a stop light, I can just barely reach the tips of my toes to the ground (not a big deal). Minor toe overlap, but haven't felt it yet during a ride yet.

I'm going to test ride a 56cm Allez at my LBS tomorrow to see how it compares. The specs are similar to that of a size up (medium) to the Canyon Endurace. Which is interesting, because recommendations for Specialized and Trek at my height are both for 56cm, whereas for this model Canyon in between a 54cm and 56cm.

Here are a couple more pics, not in all black.

bike dont fit you well
smaller stem
Old 01-22-19, 09:37 PM
HenryK

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Lemond Carbon Buenos Aires, Motobecane LeChampion Ti, CAAD9, CIOCC Designer 84 SLX, Vassago Bandersnatch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Looked at the Geo charts and your Pics, I'd size up to the medium, will be a better fit. Then you can lose a bunch of those spacers.
Old 01-26-19, 11:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by OrenNoah
I can't answer you directly from the picture.

However, the advice I've gotten from professional fitters is that if you're right between two sizes, it's best to go with the smaller one and think about using a longer stem.
Back in the day this rationale was all about a smaller bike being lighter. I still like that theory.
Old 01-26-19, 11:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
My method for getting in the ballpark for frame size is the Greg LeMond/Cyrille Guimard method. Using a virtual TT, measure frame size (C to C) in CM. If your inseam (in socks) in CM is multiplied by .665 it should give you a size that is ballpark. From there it's a matter of what feels best for you. I have a 32.25" inseam and can ride anything from 54-58. My best fitting bike is my Guru Sidero and that's a 55 with a 55 TT. I also am comfortable on my 58 Masi but the Guru is perfect.
Old 01-26-19, 12:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
It's the right size for long smooth rides when the bike allows for a position similar to this

Rotate hips, extend arms, knees near elbows (but on the inside).

Good luck with new bike.
Old 01-26-19, 12:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
It's the right size for long smooth rides when the bike allows for a position similar to this

Rotate hips, extend arms, knees near elbows (but on the inside).

Good luck with new bike.
That is the "proper" riding position if your body allows it and also functions efficiently in that position. That's the whole deal with people being individuals ... we need individually fitted bikes.

It's be great if i could get down like that and ride comfortably and with decent power and efficiency ... and for about two pedal strokes I can come close.
Old 01-26-19, 06:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

The original poster seems to be a young man, looking to move up his riding a notch. That was to whom I responded. And he is to be commended for coming back to finish the story. Get the right saddle and away you go. Next upgrade is to tires.
Old 01-26-19, 06:54 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulsify
@Campag4life @Maelochs

I'm blown away by the support in this thread.
Yep, they are two good guys who put a lot of effort into their posts here. I think they steered you in the right direction.
Old 01-27-19, 12:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Yep, they are two good guys who put a lot of effort into their posts here. I think they steered you in the right direction.
Dude, when you call me a "good guy" you had best be smiling.

it all comes down to whether I had enough coffee before posting.
Old 01-27-19, 06:17 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
FWIW, I'm 5'8" and ride medium (modern) frames. Older steel frames, tend to be 53-54CM. It's a matter of daling in the fit, My 2 modern bikes are endurance frames. KB
Old 01-28-19, 07:11 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That is the "proper" riding position if your body allows it and also functions efficiently in that position. That's the whole deal with people being individuals ... we need individually fitted bikes.

It's be great if i could get down like that and ride comfortably and with decent power and efficiency ... and for about two pedal strokes I can come close.
You must understand, this rider has to be in this position to be most efficient. Santa has to make his rounds quickly or some kids are disappointed on Christmas.
I honestly applaud this tenacity as that position when you get his age isn't easy.
Old 01-30-19, 11:43 PM
Pulsify

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back! A couple weeks later and the exchange from a size small Canyon Endurace to a size medium has been completed. Thanks for saving me $1,700 y'all. This one feels a lot better. P.S. I'm sure I'll loose some spacers, just give me some time to dial things in - this is an endurance bike after all Any fit advice is welcome:

(That's the shirt, not my belly, poking out there)

@Campag4life @colnago62 @Maelochs @OrenNoah @trailangel @DrDyno @Jon T @Dean V @puma1552 @Carbonfiberboy @woodcraft @Shuffleman @Seattle Forrest @Wildwood @Nachoman @Ontarget @stevoo @thehammerdog @HenryK @bruce19 @Paul Barnard @kcblair

Last edited by Pulsify; 01-30-19 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 01:39 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The larger frame looks much better I think. For some reason, though, it still looks a bit cramped to me - like the top tube is too short or you have a long torso? Or maybe it’s just the pics? I realize you only have it roughly dialed in. Of course it’s all up to you and how you ride, your flexibility, etc., but the larger frame was the right choice for sure I’d say.
Old 01-31-19, 02:13 AM
Pulsify

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77Eric
The larger frame looks much better I think. For some reason, though, it still looks a bit cramped to me - like the top tube is too short or you have a long torso? Or maybe it’s just the pics? I realize you only have it roughly dialed in. Of course it’s all up to you and how you ride, your flexibility, etc., but the larger frame was the right choice for sure I’d say.

I can see what you mean. Maybe it could be the endurance geometry is just set up that way? I realize most people on this forum are probably riding racier bikes, e.g. CAAD, Emonda, Tarmac, etc.

The difference in size between the small and medium included a 10mm increase in top tube, with a mere 3mm increase in reach because of the high stack. I could always add a longer stem and slam it if I wanted to, though getting the right size frame is my first priority.

Could also be the was my phone compresses photos.

Last edited by Pulsify; 01-31-19 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 07:49 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Congrats Pulsify,
Good move and well done. You look and write like a sensible guy and you are.
Medium size man, medium size bike...pretty basic concept.

You are really upright for a 'decent' rider. You touch upon that so I believe you realize this. I would like to see you get more stretched out and a bit lower so you can use the power in your body. Hard to get the power down in that position and of course you will catch a lot of wind.

Above is a rendering you can compare yourself with. This is a good, athletic recreational position model. Handlebar not much lower than the saddle. Try for 1-2". Visualize the forces in this rider's body. Not much weight on his hands. A far amount of setback. Getting your back angle to closer to 45 deg on the hoods, rotating your pelvis in the saddle and sticking your bum out more will balance your weight better on the saddle. Right now you are really pushing on the handlebar when you power the bike because your torso wants to get lower and your weight is falling forward. What happens is..how you sit on the saddle...you currently sitting on it like a park bench, this somewhat preordains your position on the bike. When you learn to stick your bum out and rotate forward you will not only get lower but need more reach to the handlebar.

Enjoy the ride brother.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-31-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 08:34 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
The new bike looks like a much better fit. Might try another cm on the stem (or I'd say the current stem is right if you prefer to put your thumbs on the top of the hoods which will stretch you out just a tad more compared to where your hands are now), but otherwise I think it looks great and this one looks like the right size. I was kind of in the same boat when I bought my bike, rode a few 49s and while I liked how much control I felt I had over the bike in that it felt completely "under" me, they all felt really cramped and the minute I sat on a 52, I knew that was the right size - I like to have a little breathing room.
Old 06-18-19, 02:14 PM
vojbarz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, may I ask how it is going with Your M size? Having exactly the same dilema what to buy - S/M.
Old 06-21-19, 03:42 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Not the OP, but I recently went through this when I ordered my Canyon Aeroad SL 8.0. I’m 5’11” and have a 33 inch inseam measured the way Canyon asks you to do it (like sitting on a top tube). I ordered the M size and it is a near perfect fit for me. M is also the size the Canyon fit program came up with.

Had I ordered the S size it would have been too small.

Last edited by mantis; 06-21-19 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For mantis:
Old 06-21-19, 05:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by vojbarz
Hello, may I ask how it is going with Your M size? Having exactly the same dilema what to buy - S/M.
With only 17 posts since Oct, there's a fair chance he's out riding that bike.
Old 06-21-19, 06:59 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
One trick that has served me well is when you are in your riding position and you look down at your stem where it attaches to the handlebar, does it intersect with your front wheel axle? That has usually worked for me when trying to dial things in. I'm about 6'0 and a 57cm is just about right, so I think a 56 for you would also be good.

I thought the first bike looked fine. You were just a tad upright or what others may consider cramped. Some might like being more upright it just depends on your style. If you want to be more stretched out you go up in frame size. I suppose if you became a more aggressive rider you would of wanted a bigger size so I think this is the right decision.

I like having my seat just slightly higher than the bars. Some people like a lot of saddle and want the saddle to be way up past the bars to get in that TDF aero position... so they go with a smaller frame. You could actually go with smaller cranks to raise the saddle more if you wanted a more aero position as well.