Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 07-18-19, 06:35 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think that they are old (produced in 1991) and may be subject to fatigue, delamination, or other issues. If you have one, check it over thoroughly before using. If you are considering buying one, I'd spend that money elsewhere.
...piggy backing off this question. I have an older rear Zipp Firecrest 808 road clincher, 20 spoke count. Is it possible to rebuild the wheel for track? If so what hub?
Old 07-19-19, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You may have some trouble finding a 20h rear track hub.

Also, I'm not sure that would be a solid build for track racing.
Old 07-19-19, 01:06 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^Agreed, that's pretty low spoke count for a rear. You could have White or one of the other "bespoke" places drill you a one if you really wanted it, but no easy off the shelf solutions that I know of.

You could re-lace it as a 20 spoke front
Old 07-21-19, 06:57 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
You may have some trouble finding a 20h rear track hub.

Also, I'm not sure that would be a solid build for track racing.
Found one! Miche 20H. Sneaky little sucker. Only a few out there. Yeah, definitely not for the track, but for training and riding on the road.
Old 07-21-19, 07:00 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
^Agreed, that's pretty low spoke count for a rear. You could have White or one of the other "bespoke" places drill you a one if you really wanted it, but no easy off the shelf solutions that I know of.

You could re-lace it as a 20 spoke front
Like an adult pusher bike. I know some guys who should be riding those. Ha ha.
Old 07-21-19, 07:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Not sure if you folks realize, but the Mavic Ellipse set is 16 front and 20 rear.
Old 08-02-19, 11:31 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Random Tubular (glue) question

Do/Have any of you guys store your glue in the condiment dispenser bottles? I have seen a couple of team mechanics that use that method, but I wonder if the glue won't solidify when stored (I glue tubes...but not THAT many tubes ) in a plastic container.
Old 08-02-19, 01:46 PM
topflightpro

I’d guess they are going through a lot more glue than you, so it isn’t drying out as they use and refill.

But it maybe try it and put Saran wrap over the bottle then screw on the top over it to try to seal it up.

Let us us know how it works.
Old 08-04-19, 05:35 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I think the team mechanics dilute the tubular glue to make it easier to apply, which would make it liquid enough to use a condiment bottle to dispense. With what I don't know, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't reduce how well the glue works.
Old 08-04-19, 07:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
I think the team mechanics dilute the tubular glue to make it easier to apply, which would make it liquid enough to use a condiment bottle to dispense. With what I don't know, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't reduce how well the glue works.
I'm not a chemist, so don't try this, but my first guess would be some sort of thing with a low vapor pressure so once applied it quickly evaporates leaving just the glue.
Old 08-07-19, 09:03 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im just about to pull the trigger on an adaptor for my 2014 wahoo kickr that would allow it to run fixed gearing and fit 120mm spacing so i can mount my track bike on it. Im sure i have read other peoples posts on here looking for similar things so i will post the link below.

Im pretty sure that having fixed gear for my smart trainer workouts would be beneficial for my training, especially with the flywheel simulating momentum and teh ability to keep fit the same between trainng and on track- but is there any reason i should be wary of using fixed on a smart trainer? I.e chance for injury, component damage, just not worth it, just use rollers instead etc etc). I do use rollers but its good to have the ability to do structured training with different resistances rather without having to change cogs mid session.

The adaptor is this one - pricey but looks great quality and the guy that runs the company is very helpful and quick to reply to enquiries.

https://www.velobike.co.nz/wahoo-adaptor

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-07-19, 10:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Wow, $200 US.
Old 08-10-19, 11:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm not a chemist, so don't try this, but my first guess would be some sort of thing with a low vapor pressure so once applied it quickly evaporates leaving just the glue.
I remember reading that mechanics would add paint thinner.
Old 08-11-19, 05:52 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I heard the paint thinner idea as well, which put me off using it since thinners are usually solvents and to my, fairly basic mind mixing a glue with a solvent didn't sound like a good idea. They might flash off ok leaving a good bond but I din't want to be the test dummy for a bit of extra convenience.
Old 08-16-19, 05:52 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Anybody seen how straps are attached to LOOK pedals? I know the French team uses them but I've never seen this close up. Weighing up my options for after these VPs wear out, which might be soon, and they seem unobtainable now.
Old 08-16-19, 06:29 AM
topflightpro

I use zip ties for G-Race straps. I think I've seen Zip ties for NJS staps too.
Old 08-16-19, 06:30 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Anybody seen how straps are attached to LOOK pedals? I know the French team uses them but I've never seen this close up. Weighing up my options for after these VPs wear out, which might be soon, and they seem unobtainable now.
Look-Keo ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling
Old 08-16-19, 06:51 AM
Baby Puke

Excellent, thank for the link, Flatballer! I did not realize those were on that site.

This is exactly what I'm after:
Keo-metal-03

Anyone know where these alloy fittings can be found?
Old 08-16-19, 09:56 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it. That site is... challenging to navigate, shall we say.
Old 08-19-19, 01:24 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Look Keo 2 Max pedals that were adapted by Dolan, they bolted an extra carrier to the back. For double straps the front strap is still done with zip ties. Hopefully these pics make it easier to see. I would imagine it would be easy enough to make a looped bit of steel and bolt it to the pedal body.
Having the rear loop at the back of the pedal ensure the strap stays mid foot rather than just being over the toe area like the fabric straps that attach at the axle.

Old 08-19-19, 01:56 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Kaben
I have a set of Look Keo 2 Max pedals that were adapted by Dolan, they bolted an extra carrier to the back. For double straps the front strap is still done with zip ties. Hopefully these pics make it easier to see. I would imagine it would be easy enough to make a looped bit of steel and bolt it to the pedal body.
Having the rear loop at the back of the pedal ensure the strap stays mid foot rather than just being over the toe area like the fabric straps that attach at the axle.
THAT is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you know who made these at Dolan? Thank you!
Old 08-19-19, 02:09 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
THAT is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you know who made these at Dolan? Thank you!
Sadly i don't know the specifics - i bought these second hand from a veteran sprinter and when i bought them he said they were made for him by Dolan. As i understood it he is good pals with Terry Dolan so it may not be a commercial item.

The adaptor itself is just two pieces of steel welded together and then bolted to the back of the pedal body. If you aren't too bothered by aesthetics i image it would be easy to fabricate yourself. You could probably get away without any welding if you countersunk a hole in the bit that attaches to the pedal and had a small coach bolt or similar holding the two pieces together with the nut inside the looped metal section. You don't need that much space in the loop for the strap itself.

Sorry i cant be more helpful! ( if you need more pictures just send me a message and i will get them to you.)
Old 08-19-19, 06:57 AM
Baby Puke

Thanks, Kaben. I've been hoping to avoid making something, but that's looking more and more likely.
Old 08-19-19, 07:21 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Kaben. I've been hoping to avoid making something, but that's looking more and more likely.
If you can get your hands on them I would recommend the VP-R73T Track pedals. I have these as well and like them better than the Look. The have an integrated loop below the middle of the cleat so you don't need to use any zip ties at all. really good if you want to ride without the straps for any reason and then put them back on in a few moments. I often take the straps off on rollers sessions as i like being able to unclip quickly if it all goes wrong! They also use look cleats.

Brooks cycles have them in the UK.

Last edited by Kaben; 08-19-19 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-19, 05:50 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Kaben
If you can get your hands on them I would recommend the VP-R73T Track pedals. I have these as well and like them better than the Look. The have an integrated loop below the middle of the cleat so you don't need to use any zip ties at all. really good if you want to ride without the straps for any reason and then put them back on in a few moments. I often take the straps off on rollers sessions as i like being able to unclip quickly if it all goes wrong! They also use look cleats.

Brooks cycles have them in the UK.
Yeah, I have them and they are great! I use only the rear strap position and they are perfect. I'm looking for the next pair though as to looks like VP are not producing them anymore. Though now that you mention it, Brooks does seem to have them. All the other vendors I've seen carrying them have stopped and I don't think they are listed on the VP website anymore, so I'm worried they'll be gone soon. Just wish Shimano or LOOK would go ahead and make this option available from the factory!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.